Recommend some classic/opera style music

KingSpike

CAGiversary!
I'm not sure why I thought it was a good idea, but a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) I decided to listen to music while playing Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast. Specifically, classical or opera style music that has a certain sound. And man is it ridiculously awesome. Here are a couple examples of songs that I use:

Carmina Burana - O Fortuna
Mozart - Requiem (or Dies Irae, think Onimusha 3 commercial)
John Williams - Duel of the Fates (yes, not classical/opera, but think of the sound)
Craig Armstrong - Escape (Was this from 5th Element? Watchtower? Bueller? Bueller?)
Gitaroo Man - Tainted Lovers (the level in the cathedral)

Now obviously not everything I listed is defined as classical or opera or what have you. I never said I was good at classifying music. But think of the sound and feel that the above songs possess. That's the type of music I'm looking for.

So can anyone recommend some other good songs for me to listen to while I'm slicing up dark Jedi? Thanks everyone :)

Bizet's Carmen
anything by Frederick Chopin
Richard Wagner's Ride Of The Valkeries
Black Keys
Anything By Johann Sebastian Bach

Stravinsky- Rite of Spring (1913)- Ritual Of The Rival Tribes (not quite as powerful as Requiem but I like it)

Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries

From the PS One game Soul Blade there are some great orchestral battle songs....
My favorite is Recollect Continent (Rock's stage).

I have to listen more to my collection...

For that kind of music, I'd recommend
Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain
Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition
Berlioz - March to the Scaffold
Shostakovich - Leningrad Symphony
Beethoven - Symphony No. 9
I can't think of others at the moment---those are just the sweeping kinda orchestral music I think you're thinking of, along the lines of O Fortuna---majestic stuff.

the great thing about classical music, is that the people who made it spent months on it, and after 200 years of filtering out all the crap, all you have to do is search a classical composers name, and every song is garunteed to be good, so just search away.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']the great thing about classical music, is that the people who made it spent months on it, and after 200 years of filtering out all the crap, all you have to do is search a classical composers name, and every song is garunteed to be good, so just search away.[/QUOTE]

Classical music is definitely more thoughtful. I think that is why Captain Picard listens to that and not pop acts from the 90's. :lol: I really enjoy listening to it (as well as some popular music). That's one thing I really like about NPR. If it wasn't for them, I doubt that any would be on the radio much.

The funniest thing is that I was introduced to it through Looney Toons. They use it a lot in those old shows.

I'd tell you the one song I like but I can't remember the exact name myself. It sounds very much like the background music you hear during the Darth Maul fighting scene in Phantom Menace but it has a techno beat to it. I'm not normally a fan of the genre but this one was just too good. It sounded like a choir singing and I think the word Apocrypha might have been in the name of the group or song. I heard it back in the early 90s and I've been looking for it since.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The funniest thing is that I was introduced to it through Looney Toons. They use it a lot in those old shows.[/QUOTE]

Kill Da Wabbit! Kill Da Wabbit!

operapic26eq.gif

[quote name='Ozzkev55']the great thing about classical music, is that the people who made it spent months on it, and after 200 years of filtering out all the crap, all you have to do is search a classical composers name, and every song is garunteed to be good, so just search away.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there isn't much classical music that I don't like. But not all of it really goes along with the sound that I'm looking for while playing :)

Thanks for the recommendations so far guys.

bread's done
Back