Record of Agarest War Naughty Edition for Xbox 360 - $56.57 (price drop)

[quote name='dtcarson']Question: Why would you want "extra crap" for a game you are willing to sell dirt cheap? Are you simply hoping the swag will appreciate in value, or are you hoping to get the game by itself cheaper later?
I'm just curious. I like tchotchkes, but not if I have no interest in the content they're representing or from.[/QUOTE]

I only got the game for the booby mouse pad and the pillow case. Apparently I'm not the only one.

I chose this game after completing two offers at yourfree360games and was pleasantly surprised when they shipped me the LE. Woo hoo! Then again, after reading up a bit, I realized the first print edition was all LE.

[quote name='estofan']I chose this game after completing two offers at yourfree360games and was pleasantly surprised when they shipped me the LE. Woo hoo! Then again, after reading up a bit, I realized the first print edition was all LE.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the *only* edition is the LE. They'll likely did what they did for BlazBlue; all the copies for a while are the LE, and then, they'll release a standard version later.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I only got the game for the booby mouse pad and the pillow case. Apparently I'm not the only one.[/QUOTE]

And that makes me sad, because this actually is a great game, that a lot of people aren't going to even play.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']And that makes me sad, because this actually is a great game, that a lot of people aren't going to even play.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the game is going to make it on the end of the year gaming lists... like "best or quirkiest game that no played." That'll spark interest in it....

I want to play it, but it's going to sit in my backlog for a bit and for some reason I lose interest in SRPGs about half-way through them too.

[quote name='superdry']and for some reason I lose interest in SRPGs about half-way through them too.[/QUOTE]

That's an issue that I usually have too. I like SRPGs, and I usually play them for long enough that I feel like I got my money's worth out of them, but I hardly ever actually come anywhere close to finishing them. Usually it's because I get distracted by something else -- I always mean to come back to them, but I never actually do. I can already say that Agarest War will get superseded by Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake, so I don't think I'm even going to start it (beyond the little bit that I played already to check it out) until I'm done with those.

[quote name='FlameOnMe']It "Can."

The best spot for auto grinding in generation one is right before you fight the two generals after going through a four-battle sequence on a coast. The Final area right above the general fight harbors two mages and two other incredibly weak creatures, but yields TONS of experience and you can auto battle them without fear of ever losing someone.

Auto battle though tends to be a wild card, as though sometimes the computer is smart and then other times it's absolutely abysmal... plus you NEVER use it for boss battles. It will always set you up to fail.[/QUOTE]

The AI is still pretty dumb. They waste a lot of ap for movement, which is totally unnecessary if you know how to link your characters and sometimes they distribute the damage really weird. I found the best method of auto battle (regardless of stages) is you have to take control of first turn.

You should proper set up links and move as little as possible, so you won't waste much ap. I find the current default tactics the best. Plus, it won't boost your enemy if they step on correct panel. After the movement phase, the enemy will most likely charge and waste a lot of their ap on movement and use the remaining ap to attack you. Heal up and eliminate one enemy. In later chapters, you can probably eliminate more enemies with higher AOE(Area of Effect) combos. For my game, I'm using Isen + Vanish Strike a lot. When first team turn about to end, you have to examine the field and make sure your confident the AI won't screw things up. In hard mode, I have to manually take 1-3 teams turns before I auto battle. It might be different on other difficulties. Of course, never let the AI control on boss battles. You don't need them anyway. Your probably aiming for overkill to getting some high-end loot.

[quote name='Vortextk']Wasn't planning on playing soon but I've hated srpgs just because I HATE leveling individual characters(haven't read up much on this game though). I mean, I do enjoy leveling and grinding, somewhat, but it gets old having to switch to every character I can to do some actions with them to net them some xp. I don't even know if this game works like that, but it'd be nice to cut down on the time I have to do it a bit.

Guess I'll see when I finally play.[/QUOTE]

I hate that as well. If you do not like that, you probably won't like this game. There are so many characters in this game with no bench xp. I prefer games that have a team party experience system(especially when it comes to large cast of characters). The most common experience system is where your active party gains a full 100% compare to your bench will net around 60-80% depending on game engine.

The best experience system for party members with the least amount of grinding is Suikoden series by a long shot. In that game the experience is calculate by your current level and the monsters. I know other game use that system. But in Suikoden, you can have a level 10 guy fight a level 50 character and after one battle they suddenly they turn level 45. That's pretty impressive considering each game have 108 characters. I know you can't use a few of characters, but it's still impressive nevertheless . I'm surprised no one have copy this idea. I seen similar ideas on other games, but they're not quite as robust. Even on regular battles, you never felt the need to grind since the experience system will always push you close to current enemy level.

[quote name='FlameOnMe']Whatever you do, don't use all 3 of the girls you are supposed to marry at the end. I did that in generation one and was left with only 3 leveled characters and 3 heavily crappy characters at generation two... that made that one an incredible pain for the first few hours. Just pick whichever you need and work with her. The kid produced at the end doesn't matter about levels just about your horoscope and your affinity towards her, that's it.[/QUOTE]

It's not that a huge pain ass to use girls you want to marry in first generation as your active party. I did that as well I didn't have to find myself grinding. You will encounter like 2 boss battles between the intro of chapter 2 till you get your first tome to revive generation one characters. You can also jump back to generation one and fight dungeon all the way to the right. They net the same amount of experience of early generation 2.

If anyone playing this game, you should defiantly revive Leonhardt. He got great offensive will power set, special moves and AP charging skill. I'm not sure how well he'll hold up to other characters since there are a lot of characters in this game. If your low on money you should exchange your tp for some Vessel of Life and sell them.

I wont buy this since its an srpg. a word of advice for those thar want it, wait till the end of the year when it's 15 bucks.

I find it amusing that you can't trade this game back into Amazon at all.

Perhaps they don't want some soiled pillowcase and sticky mousepad.

[quote name='confoosious']I find it amusing that you can't trade this game back into Amazon at all.

Perhaps they don't want some soiled pillowcase and sticky mousepad.[/QUOTE]

SPRG's and JRPG's have had a terrible track record on the 360. Most have had prices drop to the 20-30 dollar range within 6 months. A good number had these price drops happen within 3 months. Infinite Undiscovery went to 20 dollars one month after release. Even if I did like SRPG's, I wouldn't be buying this now knowing what's happened to virtually every single other SRPG/JRPG on the 360 since release. Just do yourself a favor and wait. i can guarantee this game is going to be dirt cheap. It's even more of a niche product than many of the others have been.

Yeah, I'm not that interested in the game but i might bite when it drops to $30.

Like any good CAG I've got about 10,000 hours worth of backlog games still sealed to get to. :)

Yeah, I would've been wary actually paying full price for this. I doubt it will be too rare, and, they just don't have mass-gamer appeal.

That being said, Triann (via YF360) "purchased" mine...so I'm happy.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I only got the game for the booby mouse pad and the pillow case. Apparently I'm not the only one.[/QUOTE]

Well, OK, but why? If you don't care about the game, then the fact that they have Vira Lorr and Ellis on them shouldn't mean anything to you, and if you're selling the game itself for, say thirty bucks, you paid thirty bucks for a mousepad and pillowcase equivalent to that which you could probably get at Walmart for ten total. Soundtracks are normally 12-20 bucks or so, but I guess that would go with the game?
I'm not trying to be annoying, I honestly don't understand.

I would like some bench XP, I hate playing with the six characters I "like" then having to sub in two or three more just to get them caught up.

I do expect this game to either suddenly sell out, or be available online for a constantly dropping price for about six months. Then again, that happens to a lot of games. It is very niche, and the marketing is weird.

What other SRPGs are on 360? Operation Darkness, a few on XBLA [Band of Bugs, Commanders, Vandal Hearts], are there any others?

Video games drop in price. That's almost a universal rule. Early adopters pay more.

And I was mostly caught up on my backlog until about a month and a half ago [my brother lent me Wolverine and Condemned 2, I still haven't started Fallout GOTY though I finished the first release, I got Bioshock 2 from Goozex, I got Dragon Age Awakenings from EAstore for 20, and I got Mass Effect 2 with gift cards/RZ certs when it was 40 at Best Buy. And my wife and I are still playing Borderlands, having just bought General Knoxx DLC.]

I know this is probably proprietary knowledge, but I'd love to know how many copies were printed/shipped to retailers, and what sort of numbers they're looking for to be satisfied with the return.

[quote name='dtcarson']What other SRPGs are on 360? Operation Darkness, a few on XBLA [Band of Bugs, Commanders, Vandal Hearts], are there any others?[/QUOTE]

I believe only Operation Darkness, Spectral Force 3 and Zoids. I'd avoid Zoids. I sort of like Zoids, and I like SRPG/TRPGs, and I couldn't get past 10 minutes of it. I can't even tell which units are mine! It's like 2 slightly different shades of grey, one for you, one for them.

[quote name='dtcarson']Well, OK, but why? If you don't care about the game, then the fact that they have Vira Lorr and Ellis on them shouldn't mean anything to you, and if you're selling the game itself for, say thirty bucks, you paid thirty bucks for a mousepad and pillowcase equivalent to that which you could probably get at Walmart for ten total. Soundtracks are normally 12-20 bucks or so, but I guess that would go with the game?
I'm not trying to be annoying, I honestly don't understand.[/QUOTE]

I like pretty anime stuff like this. And can you get a boob mouse pad at Wal-Mart?

[quote name='MrEKO73']Are we at the point now where we can put any letter in front of "rpg"?[/QUOTE]

?
SRPG - strategy RPG, although I've also seen some TRPG, tactical RPG [I honestly am not real clear on the difference between strategy and tactics, but I've always heard SRPG]
JRPG - Japanese-style RPG
CRPG - American style Computer RPG
MMORPG - you know

What else is there?

[quote name='dtcarson']?
SRPG - strategy RPG, although I've also seen some TRPG, tactical RPG [I honestly am not real clear on the difference between strategy and tactics, but I've always heard SRPG]
JRPG - Japanese-style RPG
CRPG - American style Computer RPG
MMORPG - you know

What else is there?[/QUOTE]

I would add WRPG - western RPG

Other than that, I haven't seen anything else I can think of used that commonly.

[quote name='newtypex']I would add WRPG - western RPG

Other than that, I haven't seen anything else I can think of used that commonly.[/QUOTE]

I've actually never heard WRPG used anywhere, not even for stuff like Dragon's Age or D&D....

[quote name='elessar123']I've actually never heard WRPG used anywhere, not even for stuff like Dragon's Age or D&D....[/QUOTE]

I hear it mostly when people are discussing JRPGs versus games like Oblivion, Fallout, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Fable, Diablo, etc.

[quote name='newtypex']I hear it mostly when people are discussing JRPGs versus games like Oblivion, Fallout, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Fable, Diablo, etc.[/QUOTE]

WRPG is much more commonly used than CRPG.

[quote name='rainking187']Yeah, I think I've only heard "CRPG" used like twice.[/QUOTE]

CRPG used to be a very common term, particularly during the early 90s as a way to differentiate PnP RPGs with Computer RPGs.

[quote name='Takeda Kenshi']CRPG used to be a very common term, particularly during the early 90s as a way to differentiate PnP RPGs with Computer RPGs.[/QUOTE]

Aye. I remember buying my 1990~1991 Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers games, and they were CRPGs back then.

Also, if you search CRPG on google, you get 600k results, while WRPG yields a mere 37k. Granted, it's not the most scientific way, but 37k results is pretty meager.

lol, anyone else notice the message on the Amazon listing...

"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']lol, anyone else notice the message on the Amazon listing...

"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."[/QUOTE]

...too many boxes getting busted up while in transit??..or the poisonous smell coming from some of the mouse pads?

[quote name='Banana Peel Assassin']...too many boxes getting busted up while in transit??..or the poisonous smell coming from some of the mouse pads?[/QUOTE]

or maybe too many people returning their shipment multiple times in an attempt to get a completely undented/unbent box :roll:

Though in defense of those that complained about damaged boxes, I must admit that when I was trying to put my boobpad back in the box and close the flap, the whole box felt extremely flimsy and was bulging like crazy becuse the folded boobpad was pushing against the sides. While the box did an adequate job of getting the items inside to me in an undamanged condition, the long-term usabilty of the box is somewhat limited.

I guess it just makes the undamaged and unopened boxes that much more valuable as a collector's item. It will be interesting to see what happens to the price of this item in the future.

Who would have thought a boobie mousepad could cause so many problems. It's just a damn shame because I like boobs, I like games and I like mousepads (in that order) and this is probably the last time we'll see all 3 in a single box ;).

But I'm confident that Aksys will keep coming up with unique and entertaining items in future LE release.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']lol, anyone else notice the message on the Amazon listing...

"Item Under Review

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."[/QUOTE]

What the hell? I seriously hope this doesn't negatively affect Aksys in any way, such as Amazon returning the rest of their stock to Aksys.

[quote name='Razzuel']What the hell? I seriously hope this doesn't negatively affect Aksys in any way, such as Amazon returning the rest of their stock to Aksys.[/QUOTE]

Usually amazon does nothing when they put those notices up. Whenever someone complains about poor packaging they will throw that up for a while and then just take it down and change nothing.

It got put up when I sent an angry email to them because Sakura Wars (PS2) came crushed since they stupidly mailed it in a bubble mailer and then the warning just went away. They were actually supposed to send another but never did...hmm...

[quote name='sabanoo']Usually amazon does nothing when they put those notices up. Whenever someone complains about poor packaging they will throw that up for a while and then just take it down and change nothing.

It got put up when I sent an angry email to them because Sakura Wars (PS2) came crushed since they stupidly mailed it in a bubble mailer and then the warning just went away. They were actually supposed to send another but never did...hmm...[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks; that's reassuring to hear. I was afraid that this ridiculous contention over the structure of the box had become a much larger problem.

[quote name='ponn01']I just beat a Jumbo Cock.

tehehehe[/QUOTE]

Nice to know I wasn't the only one who chuckled at fighting that rooster.

[quote name='elessar123']Yea, my Sakura Wars came with the shrink wrap torn... so much for keeping it sealed =([/QUOTE]

Damn, whatever will you do?

[quote name='Razzuel']Damn, whatever will you do?[/QUOTE]

He should send them an angry email about poor packaging! That'll show 'em...:whistle2:s

[quote name='ceck3969']And is the game any good?[/QUOTE]

I'm liking this game.

La Pucelle was the only SRPG I've ever played more than hour or so of...and I gave up on it after a few hours.

This, however, has kept me interested. It's pretty deep. Now, the story isn't too great, and the graphics are crap (do *any* SRPG's look good?)...but, I am enjoying myself. And I don't think I've scratched the surface...I've only been playing for five hours or so.

I'm interested in this game, but 55 dollars is still really steep for a SRPG.

I hope the Really Naughty Limited Edition drops to 40 someday. I think I'd hit it at that price.

Har har.

[quote name='BobTheGamer']I'm interested in this game, but 55 dollars is still really steep for a SRPG.

I hope the Really Naughty Limited Edition drops to 40 someday. I think I'd hit it at that price.

Har har.[/QUOTE]

It probably would have been cheaper if they didn't load the game down with a bunch of frivolous special edition content to get it to a $60 price.

I'll probably spring for a game only copy via Ebay eventually, since they seem to hover around $35 - $40. I wish they would have put out two versions of the game, like a regular and an SE.

[quote name='sabanoo']Usually amazon does nothing when they put those notices up. Whenever someone complains about poor packaging they will throw that up for a while and then just take it down and change nothing.

It got put up when I sent an angry email to them because Sakura Wars (PS2) came crushed since they stupidly mailed it in a bubble mailer and then the warning just went away. They were actually supposed to send another but never did...hmm...[/QUOTE]

Really? I've had amazon ship replacements all the time. When I ordered DJ Hero: Renegade Edition, it came scratched up (the controller), so I contacted amazon and they shipped me a new one and I didn't even have to ship the old one back till I got the replacement.

[quote name='ceck3969']And is the game any good?[/QUOTE]

When you first start the game it might seem like a solid game with lots of interesting game play concepts. This game is very deep with lots of strategy. But as you get more deeper into the game you will discover there are lots of flaws in this game.

The whole menu, inventory and alchemy system is horrendous like Cross Edge. This game is insanely repetitive. In a normal strategy rpg, you will fight about 40-60 story missions for an entire game, but in this game there is easily over 250+ story missions. You probably thinking that a game with that much missions must be interesting. Not this game! You will be doing the same thing over and over again. You will fight the same rectangular maps with no terrains or elevation. You won't even encounter objects in one stage such as walls, trees or barrels. All you going to see is a plain background over and over again. Not to mention, these story missions felt like force random encounters. You fight these same monsters for 3-6 consecutive battles until you move to a new region. These battles felt like artificial padding just to add more game length to this game. Most time you will just spam the same strategy over and over again.

Right now, I'm near the end the end of Chapter 3 and it feels like it Deja vu all over again. I been doing the same thing now as I did in chapter one.I easily fought over 200+ story missions already and there are two more chapters left. I keep saying to myself that things might change, but it seem like it's not going to change.

[quote name='animalspinners']It probably would have been cheaper if they didn't load the game down with a bunch of frivolous special edition content to get it to a $60 price.

I'll probably spring for a game only copy via Ebay eventually, since they seem to hover around $35 - $40. I wish they would have put out two versions of the game, like a regular and an SE.[/QUOTE]

It looks like Amazon is taking pre-orders for the game only edition at $50 for release on June 1st. Guess that kind of kills the theory that the special edition items were "free". Hopefully Amazon gets a large credit from Aksys for all the damaged games they had to pay to have returned and replaced.

bread's done
Back