Red Alert 3 -UPRISING EXPANSION ANNOUNCED!!

I usually play the fuck out of Skermish/MP before I even touch Single Player. So I get a feel of the game and the units. After I get stuck on SP, I go back to MP for a few months.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I usually play the fuck out of Skermish/MP before I even touch Single Player. So I get a feel of the game and the units. After I get stuck on SP, I go back to MP for a few months.[/quote]

:lol: I am the complete opposite. I usually use the Campaign as a sort of tutorial mode since it generally starts out easy, and slowly introduces all of the unit types. Then once I finish that, then I take it online.

Ok, gave it a few hours of play time.

Here are my thoughts
Pros
-Yes it is a bit faster than CNC3 and other CNC games.
-Units are very cool looking.
-Explosions and other visual effects are AMAZING, espcially those over the water:drool:
-Runs silky smooth on my quad core with the geforce 260 :hot:
-Acting is over the top funny sometimes.
-MUSIC ROCKS. HELL MARCH 3!!!
-Have not played online MP yet but I expect that to be really good when I do get a chance to play it.

Cons
-Can zoom in any closer to see more unit detail :(
-The PE extras seem somewhat fluffy. I was hoping for all the viral stuff like the Acherman stuff. :(
-The intro movie was spoiled too much from all the videos EA sent out to Gametrailers (BAH!!).
-AI seems to just sit there sometimes and not defend itself or run away when it can't defend itself.

overall it is a great game worth waiting for. However my guess is sales WILL be impacted by the release of the new guitar game and Fallout 3.

[quote name='Moxio']Better than RA2?[/quote]

Do you even have to ask, no way man.

I don't think the fastest C&C game is a pro, its still on my wishlist because of the crazy cool units.

I was playing the intro for the Empire of the Rising Sun and I must say that I like WOW! Those people who are getting it for the 360 and playing it on the big screen are in for a visual treat :drool: anything over 32 inches.

The Empire's music was actually pretty good.

I'm making a last ditch effort to pick up an AGP 8x 256MB card from newegg for cheap, to replace my radeon 9800 in hopes of playing.

I'm concerned b/c the new card is only 64-bit but with DDR2 whereas the 9800 is 128-bit with 128MB DRR1...I hope it works.

Picked up the PE today after work at GS. I don't have an itch to play RA3 yet, since I still have Lego Batman and Fallout 3 to play.

I'm disappointed that there is an expiration date on the Warhammer item. I haven't started Warhammer yet, but I need to if I want to take advantage of the item.

[quote name='Over easy']Picked up the PE today after work at GS. I don't have an itch to play RA3 yet, since I still have Lego Batman and Fallout 3 to play.

I'm disappointed that there is an expiration date on the Warhammer item. I haven't started Warhammer yet, but I need to if I want to take advantage of the item.[/quote]

There is? You mean the Kossar's Helm only lasts for a certain amount of time or that you have to redeem the code by April 30, 2009?

[quote name='typeRJ']There is? You mean the Kossar's Helm only lasts for a certain amount of time or that you have to redeem the code by April 30, 2009?[/QUOTE]

I mean you have to redeem it by April 2009.

Some people are selling their codes on Ebay. I'm not sure how big the market is for the code, but for the people that doesn't play Warhammer, maybe you can sell it and make up the difference between the PE and the regular edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Over easy']I mean you have to redeem it by April 2009.

Some people are selling their codes on Ebay. I'm not sure how big the market is for the code, but for the people that doesn't play Warhammer, maybe you can sell it and make up the difference between the PE and the regular edition.[/quote]

Or you guys don't want the hassle of ebay you can give me the code for the hat in exchange for a code I have for an exclusive RA3 map. PM me ;)

Ok I bought RA3 at Fry's today to see if my P4 2.66 GHz, 3GB ram, 9800 Pro could run this thing and sure enough it does!

It's not pretty but RA3 does run on my machine. Even a couple settings are at medium instead of "low." I tried a 1v1 game with no hiccups... I'll investigate further tomorrow how many comps I can take before it gets choppy. But I'm glad it runs.

I just did a 1v1 skirmish on the first map... something "beta". It only had a little water around it, but I'm sure the maps get much larger, etc....

So far so good though. I had ordered a radeon HD 3450 from newegg but I'll probably start the return process tomorrow if everything looks cool. Plus I didn't realize the 3450 is only marginally better than my 5 year old 9800 pro. If anything I'll just go to Fry's, suck it up, and pay the $100 or whatever for a radeon hd 2600 pro. That's the most bang for my buck (that's also within my meager 250w psu).

ITDEFX or anyone else: do you recommend a specific skirmish map that has a lot of water in it? Just to push the machine?

I agree that'd be the card to get, but my PSU is a mere 250W.. or maybe it's 300W. Either way that card requires 450W. I'd upgrade the PSU but it's a funky setup - from what I understand these runs of dells had non ATX compatible psus....

Anyway yeah for anyone who DOES have the juice >= 450w and is on AGP, that's your card.
I was looking at the visiontek 512MB HD 2600Pro but the archived comments on newegg say it's unstable at best.

I think I'm going to hunker down wit h my current setup and save for the complete rebuild.

Update:
Nothing scientific, but I did a skirmish on my own computer, on a 6 player water map against 5 computers. Nothing really slowed down that much. So far so good.

Bottom line: there is hope for people running with 9800Pros out there. You can run this game.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Well I saw this one coming>< :p
http://www.maxim.com/GirlsofRedAlert3/girls_of_maxim/4367.aspx[/quote]

:drool:

God damn you EA, give us a BIGGER WALL POSTER instead of that fold out.

[quote name='MadChedar0']

ITDEFX or anyone else: do you recommend a specific skirmish map that has a lot of water in it? Just to push the machine?[/quote]

I haven't played much skirmish maps. I haven't played for the last 2 days since I was out of town.

This may be a dumb question but I dont play PC games vdery often minus RA 2 and Yuris revenge. Would my laptop be ok playing this?

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Vista

I know the RAM and Processor are ok but I don't know about the onboard graphics chip. Its a dell xps 1330 that I got in June. It came with 2 GB of ram but I upgraded it

[quote name='slickkill77']This may be a dumb question but I dont play PC games vdery often minus RA 2 and Yuris revenge. Would my laptop be ok playing this?

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Vista

I know the RAM and Processor are ok but I don't know about the onboard graphics chip. Its a dell xps 1330 that I got in June. It came with 2 GB of ram but I upgraded it[/quote]

I don't trust onboard video cards in laptops. You can scale the graphics down in RA3. You won't get the pretties for the explosions and water, but atleast the mission videos will play right?

Again im not up with the current pc game trend but wtf...When I installed RA 3, there was no Ra 3 folder installed. The only thing that installed was the stupid EA games manager crap. I can play the game but I have to go to the disc through my computer to do it. Am I missing something? I just dont want to start losing install because of EA's DRM bullsh*t

[quote name='slickkill77']Again im not up with the current pc game trend but wtf...When I installed RA 3, there was no Ra 3 folder installed. The only thing that installed was the stupid EA games manager crap. I can play the game but I have to go to the disc through my computer to do it. Am I missing something? I just dont want to start losing install because of EA's DRM bullsh*t[/quote]

Are you using VISTA? I noticed this too, until I checked my GAMES area in the start menu..and there it was.

Yea Im using vista but its not in there. I just have that stupid Ea game downloader thing. I had to go through my computer to find it

I've had this issue with almost every game I've installed. I have no shortcuts for any of the dozens of games I've installed minus 4. Steam, Diablo 2, StarCraft and Sacred 2 all show up in my start menu, everything else doesn't. I've installed everything from Guild Wars and Spore to Fallout 3 and Supreme Commander.

[quote name='Kayden']I've had this issue with almost every game I've installed. I have no shortcuts for any of the dozens of games I've installed minus 4. Steam, Diablo 2, StarCraft and Sacred 2 all show up in my start menu, everything else doesn't. I've installed everything from Guild Wars and Spore to Fallout 3 and Supreme Commander.[/QUOTE]

Yea the games are in your games folder on the start menu, those are the shortcuts. Its just the way Vista is setup. Starcraft and Diablo 2 might be too old for this new feature but I don't really know.

Asking for the Premiere edition of the game for christmas. I have plenty of games to play but I will admit I do wish I could fight the allied dogs.^^

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yea the games are in your games folder on the start menu, those are the shortcuts. Its just the way Vista is setup. Starcraft and Diablo 2 might be too old for this new feature but I don't really know.

Asking for the Premiere edition of the game for christmas. I have plenty of games to play but I will admit I do wish I could fight the allied dogs.^^[/quote]
All I have in my Games folder is Games Explorer. That finds games I currently have installed, but there are no shortcuts in my start menu.

If I type Spore in my start menu, I get no results.

Well it looks like they're applying the Generals formula here and 50 missions seems like a lot to me. Anyway I just beat the allied campaign and moving onto the empire's one. Game is great so far and I didnt think I'd like it as much as I do but maybe that's because I got the premiere edition for 30 bucks.^^

[quote name='Spybreak8']Well it looks like they're applying the Generals formula here and 50 missions seems like a lot to me. Anyway I just beat the allied campaign and moving onto the empire's one. Game is great so far and I didnt think I'd like it as much as I do but maybe that's because I got the premiere edition for 30 bucks.^^[/quote]

I really can't believe that the PE dropped so quickly. Oh well it was worth every penny.

The RA3 demo was one of the worst RTS experiences I've ever had. What a charlie foxtrot.

Shame, since RA2 is my favorite C&C game. The series has reached the point where the B actors are more important than the actual game.

[quote name='Serik']The RA3 demo was one of the worst RTS experiences I've ever had. What a charlie foxtrot.

Shame, since RA2 is my favorite C&C game. The series has reached the point where the B actors are more important than the actual game.[/quote]

Agreed, the demo really didn't show you much. I was hoping for at least one skirmish match or something more but it seemed like I downloaded a bunch of HD videos instead which I already have watched before. I have to agree with you on the actors thing, they're really going all out in that department but granted they also have used past RTS innovations in RA3 as well.

bread's done
Back