Red Dead Redemption- Out Now

Yeah, I'm purposefully avoiding any extended gameplay footage. I want it all to be fresh on my first play through.

Regarding the Metacritic score: I'm guessing 89-91%. I'm thinking a lot of the reviewers who gave GTA 4 perfect scores will be hesitant to over-rate RDR out of fear of backlash.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']With a game as singleplayer-focused as RDR, I don't see the logic in watching a stream of the campaign.[/QUOTE]
I'm just that anxious for the game :lol:

I'm skipping past any cut scenes, just love seeing segments of the draw distance, firefights, traveling on horseback - basic stuff like that.

Plus, there hasn't been a single stream up showing the second or third areas of the map. It's all been towards the beginning of the game, so on the whole it isn't really spoiling much.

[quote name='VipFREAK']This game looks like garbage like Gun was.[/QUOTE]

Trolling is bad. Saying stupid things is bad. Just a heads up, in case you forgot.

Eh... he's just stating his opinion. I don't think the game looks like garbage, but it does look wholly unappealing to me. But I've been checking this thread, trying to learn more about it. Everyone says it's going to be great, so I don't want to miss out just because it doesn't look good to me. Wouldn't be able to get it on release even if I wanted it, though.

Not trolling would be saying something like, "I didn't enjoy Gun because of reason A. Red Dead Redemption looks like it will reason B, so I doubt I will like it either."

Coming into a thread in which everyone is excited about a game and saying, "This game is poop. Dur." is trollin'. It does not make any real point or contribute to discussion.

No Vip is trolling. It's Vip...

And the game looks perfect. I loved GUN and that was crap, so there is no chance I wont absolutely love this. I'm so amazed when people don't find it appealing. I guess it's people that: A. Don't like westerns B. Don't like open world C. Aren't good at understanding what makes things technically incredible.

[quote name='VipFREAK']This game looks like garbage like Gun was.[/QUOTE]

I don't know man... I never played Red Dead Revolver, but after just looking at a couple of screenshots and gameplay videos of this game, I'm loving it. I've never played a Western and I can't wait to play this one. Rockstar has got my money.

I got bored of GUN pretty quickly.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this looks infinitely better than GUN.

Also, (this could be old) but Official Xbox Magazine gave this a 10/10. Same with Playstation: The Official Magazine. I've never read either of these mags but still cool to hear.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']No Vip is trolling. It's Vip...

And the game looks perfect. I loved GUN and that was crap, so there is no chance I wont absolutely love this. I'm so amazed when people don't find it appealing. I guess it's people that: A. Don't like westerns B. Don't like open world C. Aren't good at understanding what makes things technically incredible.[/QUOTE]

But I do like A and B, and I understand C. Technology-wise, it looks very well done. It does not seem like a bad game whatsoever. In fact, it will likely receive great review scores around the board and will be enjoyed by millions.

I don't have a reason why it doesn't look appealing. It just... doesn't. But I felt that way about Borderlands, and changed my opinion completely a couple months ago. I also felt that way about BioShock before playing the demo and being blown away. That game became my all-time favorite solo FPS. So I don't want to dismiss this one based on initial impressions. I hope there is a demo.

[quote name='Matt Young']But I do like A and B, and I understand C. Technology-wise, it looks very well done. It does not seem like a bad game whatsoever. In fact, it will likely receive great review scores around the board and will be enjoyed by millions.

I don't have a reason why it doesn't look appealing. It just... doesn't. But I felt that way about Borderlands, and changed my opinion completely a couple months ago. I also felt that way about BioShock before playing the demo and being blown away. That game became my all-time favorite solo FPS. So I don't want to dismiss this one based on initial impressions. I hope there is a demo.[/QUOTE]

i wouldn't get your hopes up about a demo

Yeah, but sometimes demos are released even after a game comes out. I don't expect a demo for this one, though... I just wish there was one so I could give it a fair shot without having to buy it.

Yeah, R* doesn't dig demos. I think they could make one work, just slap on a 30 minute time limit or something like the JC 2 demo.

---

Everyone make sure to register a Social Club account and link your gamertag. Some guy on Neogaf claims to have gotten a special in-game outfit as a reward from the social club.

Last edited by a moderator:
only 2 days! are any of you guys going to be playing online with R* through the social club this saturday? i know i will. in the meantime i should finish up Call of Juarez to get back into the western mood.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Am I the only one that actually thoroughly enjoyed Gun?[/QUOTE]

i thought it was one of the most underated games to come out in the that year and a couple after it. as far as westerns go, i felt it ranks #2 on my list behind Call of Jaurez: Bound in Blood. RDR even takes some of the game tech from it and Juarez... its basically a collection of good points from the past major western games mixed with george lucas tech and animation, mixed with clint eastwoods bastard digital child = profit.

i cannot wait for it, goin to midnight release, decking my avatar in western attire, then hunting me some damn buffalo.

I have been playing rdr for the last eight hours and i have been pleased with the single player campaign and side quests. As an avid Gun fan, it is impossible to not to draw comparisons between the two. I don't want to tell too much about the first four hours of the game but it is well written and the voice acting are top notch. Rockstar has outdone themselves again.

For full disclosure I got my copy of rdr from the independence center gamestop in Kansas city. The store is known for breaking street dates.

report them so they can get nailed for $50,000 per copy. Walmart did that on the Matrix and GTA4 and eventually not even they could afford it. but yeah cannot wait

Why the fuck would you report a store selling copies early? I have the day off today, I'd love for someone to break street date.

Hearing rumors about the online free roam. NO lasso, no trains and no minigames.

I can understand the train and the lasso but not the minigames. Not a deal breaker but it would have been alot of fun to have played poker/horseshoes or whatever with friends online.

[quote name='Freemason']report them so they can get nailed for $50,000 per copy. Walmart did that on the Matrix and GTA4 and eventually not even they could afford it. but yeah cannot wait[/QUOTE]

Yeah, 'cause everyone needs to be a fucker like you...
Morons!

how big is the map in comparison to san andreas? and anyone know how the aiming is? please tell me there is no auto aim, i would love if it had aiming like max payne.

[quote name='wwe101']how big is the map in comparison to san andreas? and anyone know how the aiming is? please tell me there is no auto aim, i would love if it had aiming like max payne.[/QUOTE]

Auto Aim is ON by default, but can be turned off in the options by selecting HARDCORE I believe

[quote name='dragonjud']Yeah, 'cause everyone needs to be a fucker like you...
Morons![/QUOTE]

do not be so fast to cry moron.. do you even KNOW why breaking street date is bad for you and I? get a few facts before letting your ignorance fly there big shooter

[quote name='Freemason']do not be so fast to cry moron.. do you even KNOW why breaking street date is bad for you and I? get a few facts before letting your ignorance fly there big shooter[/QUOTE]

Why is it bad?

[quote name='Freemason']i thought it was one of the most underated games to come out in the that year and a couple after it. as far as westerns go, i felt it ranks #2 on my list behind Call of Jaurez: Bound in Blood. RDR even takes some of the game tech from it and Juarez... its basically a collection of good points from the past major western games mixed with george lucas tech and animation, mixed with clint eastwoods bastard digital child = profit.

i cannot wait for it, goin to midnight release, decking my avatar in western attire, then hunting me some damn buffalo.[/QUOTE]

i still think that Red Dead Revolver is the best western game yet, Bound in Blood was pretty good, but the western aspect didn't kick in until half way through the game, Red Dead Revolver was great, how it was semi-open world, you could take trains places, etc. just a great overall game if not the best so far

street dates are given by the distributors once ok is given by the developer to ship ( usually ready or not depending on the deadline ) these distributors send their products to the retailers ( walmart, gamestop, best buy, etc ) to be prepped and ready for sale on that date under contractual liscenses. same for DVD's and Blu's at a rental store. they use what is called a profit or revenue sharing program where they agree to send Blockbuster X 150 copies of a title with say 100 on revenue share meaning the retailer pays nothing for them but a extra ( majority ) percentage of the profit goes back to the distributor. same for rentals and retail sale.

if a street date is violated, they are fined usually between $500 and $2,500 per copy sold and any copies given as a share title are pulled or withheld in future shipments. if it persists, refusing to ship a title to that particular store or franchise. when a store or franchise can no longer receive say, all rockstar games for 3 years, thats a TON of revenue lost, order have to be split or shifted, or preorders refused.

In walmarts case, they broke street date on the Matrix back in the dayin an attempt to pay the fine but make up advance profit through their massive stock ahead of the competition. long story short ended up costing them neary 250 million plus and new line i believe pulled share titels from them and refused online sale on the title.

so say gamestop breaks date on Red Dead, 1/2 of their copies are pulled or redistributed to more stores for less copies. it takes an average of 9 weeks to start moving used titles down in price then a monthly statement is issued on what to lower when. So when you see ( example ) Halo 3 was a higher used retail for a long time compared to many even current titles because of street date breaking so they had to keep prices higher longer.

bottom line. street date violation = fines to the retailer = less copies at more cost = more to pay from us = longer to wait for price drops = fewer rentals in stores = BAD long term impact to game pricing and release dates to us.

[quote name='wwe101']how big is the map in comparison to san andreas? and anyone know how the aiming is? please tell me there is no auto aim, i would love if it had aiming like max payne.[/QUOTE]
You can turn auto-aim off at any time and the map is roughly twice the size of SA.

I also really enjoyed Gun. I played it right after it came out and for being an early generation 360 game I thought it was awesome. I was surprised how much I found myself enjoying the characters and story, the voice acting was great in that game. It was a restrictive game, pretty linear unlike a GTA but that wasn't really a bad thing for me. By being more linear it did a good job of keeping the narrative smooth flowing and tight. Red Dead Redemption is my most anticipated game this year, I firmly expect it to one-up Gun in every aspect of the game, which being like 3 years later it should do.

yep ill be there at midnight to get mine too. also excited for the FREE coop DLC in June and i am hoping despite the certain limitaton in free roam, you get to select your weaons loadouts from stuff you have purchased so you can have differently armed posse members for certain jobs, i.e your sharpshooter, shotty, gunslinger, dynamite guy, and cook... yeah cook because lets face it everyone would die without a " cookie " keeping them bellies full of Bison meat, biscuits, and coffee.

[quote name='Fjordson']You can turn auto-aim off at any time and the map is roughly twice the size of SA.[/QUOTE]

Holy balls.

Just paid off my Amazon copy. I won't be home until ~5PM PST on Tuesday, but I'll be playing this shit all day/night whilst trying to fend off finals.

[quote name='menikmati']Holy balls.

Just paid off my Amazon copy. I won't be home until ~5PM PST on Tuesday, but I'll be playing this shit all day/night whilst trying to fend off finals.[/QUOTE]

screw finals, im sure your professors will understand the epicness that is before the world

[quote name='menikmati']Holy balls.

Just paid off my Amazon copy. I won't be home until ~5PM PST on Tuesday, but I'll be playing this shit all day/night whilst trying to fend off finals.[/QUOTE]

Twice the size of San Andreas really isn't that big of a deal these days. Take a look at this comparison pic:

large-video-game-worlds2.jpg

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Twice the size of San Andreas really isn't that big of a deal these days. Take a look at this comparison pic:

large-video-game-worlds2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The only official note I've seen about size of the game world is that it will take you 15-20 minutes to get from one end of the map to the other.

Now, of course your fastest method of travel is by horse. Assuming it only takes 15 minutes to cross the game world, and assuming a horse's top average speed over that distance is 25 mph, then the game world would be roughly 39 square miles, or about 3 times San Andreas' map size. It's a very rough estimate, though.

To anyone that has experience in this situation:

I preordered at GameStop with overnight delivery.

How fast is their overnight delivery? I guess what I'm asking is, will I get this Tuesday afternoon, or should I just cancel it and preorder for in-store pickup?

.. then, if I preorder for in-store pickup, can I pick my game up at midnight launch?

[quote name='HydroX']To anyone that has experience in this situation:

I preordered at GameStop with overnight delivery.

How fast is their overnight delivery? I guess what I'm asking is, will I get this Tuesday afternoon, or should I just cancel it and preorder for in-store pickup?

.. then, if I preorder for in-store pickup, can I pick my game up at midnight launch?[/QUOTE]

Taken from gamestop.com

"In-Store Pickup Ordering Deadline
The ability to select In-Store Pickup is removed 24-48 hours before release, so pre-order early."

If it hasn't passed yet, it is about to. Overnight delivery according to the site states that it will be shipped on the 18th so you will get it the 19th. "Pre-order Ships 5/18/2010"

[quote name='Fjordson']Holy shit. Anyone seen the New York Times review?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/a...rts&adxnnlx=1274040389-CuFVDLWDBDlpDF6qkY2xnA[/QUOTE]

That review doesn't get me any closer to knowing whether or not I'm going to like the game but his last sentences are pretty high praise.

"In the more than 1,100 articles I have written for this newspaper since 1996, I have never before called anything a tour de force. Yet there is no more succinct and appropriate way to describe Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar rides again."

[quote name='wildcpac']Taken from gamestop.com

"In-Store Pickup Ordering Deadline
The ability to select In-Store Pickup is removed 24-48 hours before release, so pre-order early."

If it hasn't passed yet, it is about to. Overnight delivery according to the site states that it will be shipped on the 18th so you will get it the 19th. "Pre-order Ships 5/18/2010"[/QUOTE]

yeah I got that much from the site myself.

just wondering how fast the overnight delivery is. I'm off work Tuesday and don't want to see it ship Tuesday (to get it Wednesday) then end up not being able to play it til next week.

bread's done
Back