Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Eight(MODS: Please lock, Thread Nine is up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(current one):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(please keep all conversation NOT related to guide drops HERE. Thanks.): http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists:

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:
Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
B&N
BestBuy
Borders
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuide.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, who did threads 3,4,5 and 6 and provided me with the links to them.

Thanks to Gwen for allowing me the honor of giving something back to CAG by doing this new guide thread. I hope you all enjoy it and it isn't TOO hard to read.

Ok, I checked out my local best buy on all the guides I could no longer find on the site and here's what I got:

Bupkiss
Zilch
Nada
guess these will probably drop on Monday

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm thinking someone needs to run down to BB and do some price checking.[/quote]

I noticed on the best buy website that they deleted the following guides today:

blue dragon
medal of honor airborne
stranglehold
manhunt 2
Nintendogs

I went to best buy tonight and when i went to the register they all rang up regular price :(

[quote name='Visc']Ok, I checked out my local best buy on all the guides I could no longer find on the site and here's what I got:

Bupkiss
Zilch
Nada
guess these will probably drop on Monday
[/quote]

I actually need these guides so someone please CML.

[quote name='Visc']the guide to blacksite area 51 doesnt seem to be listed on BB's site either, as is any type of new super mario brothers guide and manhunt 2 guide.[/quote]

If you need Blacksite: Area 51 and can't find it at Gamestop(which pennied it already), then I have a copy.

Hello I am looking for the following:

* Gears of War
* Marvel Ultimate Alliance
* Virtual Fighter 5

I have the following:

* Naruto Ultimate Ninja
* Naruto Ninja Council 3
* Battlestations: Midway
* Rainbow Six: Vegas
* Blacksite: Area 51
* Castlevania Portrait of Ruin

I am only looking to trade, I will pay to ship to you, and you will pay to ship to me. Conditions of guides vary (none are less than good) - and I would like a trade of similar condition - please let me know if interested. Thank you.

Ummmm....can I get a mod to move the above post ^^^^^^^ to the Game Guide Trade Clearinghouse(that's a mouthful)?

Thanks in advance.....and please keep all trade list requests to the Clearinghouse.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Ummmm....can I get a mod to move the above post ^^^^^^^ to the Game Guide Trade Clearinghouse(that's a mouthful)?

Thanks in advance.....and please keep all trade list requests to the Clearinghouse.[/QUOTE]

apologies

[quote name='Rocko']I'll be waiting for the news. It's been far too long. :3[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we all know because that's about all you do to contribute. :roll:

Anyway, it's not necessary to check prices in-store if they are still regular price on the Best Buy site because the site price will always match the store price and vice-versa. Both of the Mass Effect guides are on the website at regular price, so that's why they are regular price in-store.

Just wanted to save people the trouble and gas money. The guides that are really of interest are the ones that disappear. It's never a guarantee that they've dropped or will drop, but it's still something to consider.

As of 2/17/2008 at 9:30pm EST, there are 85 guides listed on the Best Buy site. Here is a link with the prices from low to high. This will make it a tiny bit easier looking for drops tomorrow, which I'm not very confident will happen.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...Guides&sp=+currentprice+skuid&id=abcat0711000

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Yeah, we all know because that's about all you do to contribute. :roll:

Anyway, it's not necessary to check prices in-store if they are still regular price on the Best Buy site because the site price will always match the store price and vice-versa. Both of the Mass Effect guides are on the website at regular price, so that's why they are regular price in-store.

Just wanted to save people the trouble and gas money. The guides that are really of interest are the ones that disappear. It's never a guarantee that they've dropped or will drop, but it's still something to consider.

As of 2/17/2008 at 9:30pm EST, there are 85 guides listed on the Best Buy site. Here is a link with the prices from low to high. This will make it a tiny bit easier looking for drops tomorrow, which I'm not very confident will happen.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...Guides&sp=+currentprice+skuid&id=abcat0711000[/QUOTE]
yea BB rarely had a price drop in the middle of the month. I would not expect anything till the beginning of march.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Yeah, we all know because that's about all you do to contribute. :roll:[/quote]

And, you know, update the wiki with almost every drop.

Go be a dick elsewhere. Thanks.

[quote name='62t']yea BB rarely had a price drop in the middle of the month. I would not expect anything till the beginning of march.[/quote]

There's no way I'm going to go back and try and find this, but if my elephant like memory serves me correctly, it seems the first drop of last year came around mid to late Feb. of 2007.

However, early alzheimer's could be kicking in and I could be completely wrong. :drool:

[quote name='Rocko']And, you know, update the wiki with almost every drop.

Go be a dick elsewhere. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you're welcome. I'll try to find a way that you could be able to automatically post a comment that reads "I sure hope there are drops tomorrow" every Sunday night, so you don't have to be bothered with actually logging on and posting it.

Anycrap, I have to run some errands in the morning, so if the Best Buy site shows (or doesn't show, I guess) certain guides, I can run out and check prices. President's Day is good.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Hey, you're welcome. I'll try to find a way that you could be able to automatically post a comment that reads "I sure hope there are drops tomorrow" every Sunday night, so you don't have to be bothered with actually logging on and posting it.

Anycrap, I have to run some errands in the morning, so if the Best Buy site shows (or doesn't show, I guess) certain guides, I can run out and check prices. President's Day is good.[/quote]

Just a comment. Chill out. If it's so terribly bothersome then ignore me. God forbid you have to read it.

Guides already dropped off the site. Look on the last page.

[quote name='freshzen']Anybody been to Best Buy yet today?[/quote]

Tsk, and here I came running to the thread because I thought someone had posted their finds.

Well, I'm leaving the computer lab now to get the lunch special at a local sushi joint...Best Buy is like five minutes away from there, so I'll check after bento time.

[quote name='freshzen']Anybody been to Best Buy yet today?[/quote]

Yeah, c'mon Right Coasters, you're supposed to be giving us Left Coasters a heads up already. ;)

[quote name='makstaks']I don't see the Supreme Commander strategy guide on the bestbuy site. Does that mean it is pennied?[/quote]

It could or it could just mean that the guide sold out online and that they removed it from the website due to that. I'm not 100% sure what was on the site before nearly 10 guides dropped off the site(there were 92 or so when I last checked), so good luck to those who do go out if there is a drop.

Since my local BB stores seem to be on top of pulling the guides anymore, I don't even try until a week or so after one happens. It's just not worth the time, gas and hassle.

Confirming one cent at Best Buy:

Folklore
Manhunt 2
Need For Speed Pro Street
Ratchet and Clank
Sims 2 Castaways
Thrillville
Warhawk
Madden '08
Stranglehold
Lair
PGR 4
Kane and Lynch
Golden Compass
Heavenly Sword

[quote name='troy2007']Confirming one cent at Best Buy:

Folklore
Manhunt 2
Ratchet and Clank
Sims 2 Castaways
Thrillville
Warhawk
Madden '08
Stranglehold
Lair
PGR 4
Kane and Lynch
Golden Compass
Heavenly Sword[/QUOTE]

You sure? These are all still full price on BB's site although oddly enough all of them are listed as "backordered"

[quote name='troy2007']Confirming one cent at Best Buy:

Folklore
Manhunt 2
Ratchet and Clank
Sims 2 Castaways
Thrillville
Warhawk
Madden '08
Stranglehold
Lair
PGR 4
Kane and Lynch
Golden Compass
Heavenly Sword[/QUOTE]

Aww poo and I have to get some sleep now. if any fort waynes would be willing to pick me up some extras I would appreciate it. thanks.

[quote name='Rocko']If I can get a second confirmation I'll add these to the Wiki.[/quote]

Confirmed, I just picked 'em all up. As well as a 1 cent Resident Evil calendar and a cheat guide or two. My BB had em all sitting on a cart marked with 1 cent stickers. I made out like a bandit, best guide haul in some time.

Add Blue Dragon, MOH: Airborne, Metroid Prime 3 and Conan to the list as well.

EDIT: Oh and Final Fantasy 1.

Just bought:

Folklore
Ratchet and Clank
Thrillville
Warhawk
Stranglehold
Lair
PGR 4
Kane and Lynch
Golden Compass

All for .01.

My BB pulled them this morning. I waited to go out since I was hoping for a list to be posted. Out of the ones pulled, Blue Dragon was the only one I needed.

Shoot, I was hoping for an update before lunch, now I'll have to wait until after work when they'll most likely already be pulled.

I walked out with 26 guides today. Shame I was only allowed three of each.
Edit: Madden was full price for me too.

[quote name='lawdood']Confirmed, I just picked 'em all up. As well as a 1 cent Resident Evil calendar and a cheat guide or two. My BB had em all sitting on a cart marked with 1 cent stickers. I made out like a bandit, best guide haul in some time.

Add Blue Dragon, MOH: Airborne, Metroid Prime 3 and Conan to the list as well.

EDIT: Oh and Final Fantasy 1.[/quote]

Crap, I'll have to go back for Blue Dragon, Airborne, MP3, FF1, and maybe Conan, I left before your edit. I grabbed everything listed earlier except Madden, Golden Compass (both by choice) and RE Calendar (didn't see it in the store).

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Resident evil umbrella chronicles $8.50[/quote]

Hmm, that's a strange one. Guide is listed as $16.99 online, and definitely not backordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back