Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread X(Ten)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187222

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?

A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came back from BB with 2 LBP, 2 Fallout3, and 2 LOTR:conquest guides. for a penny each, they didn't tell me anything. they still had some Gears of war 2 guides also.

I just found out about penny guides acouple months ago and would be very sad to see this end. I have a reseller I sell alot of my various finds to and he was giving me like 1 to 5 dollars per guide. :)

Tried to score a LBP guide at my BB today and when I went up to pay the check-out guy saw it ring up for a penny and was like, "Uhhh, I can't sell this. We have to send it back to the warehouse."

and I was like, "Seriously? Do me a solid, please? I'd really appreciate it if I could get this guide." to which he replied, "No."

As I was walking out, I turned around to see him scan it and buy it himself.

fuck.

[quote name='juden66']I just found out about penny guides acouple months ago and would be very sad to see this end. I have a reseller I sell alot of my various finds to and he was giving me like 1 to 5 dollars per guide. :)[/QUOTE]

When I first started reselling the bulk of my guides I had(500+ at one point) I was being given $1 a pop at least. But as of late it's been .25 each. Hopefully the person you're selling to doesn't do this as well, but I'm still not griping about it since that's 24x what I paid and 90-98% of them were worthless anyway and have just sat around the local shops I sold them to.

Oh and CaptainJoel, don't feel bad as the one local BB employee used to clear out both local stores and resell them all on Egay just after a drop.

Once I found out it was a local BB employee reselling them I bought one from them(The Warriors for PS2/Xbox) and I left them a negative(their only one) for being a reselling/hoarding ¢unt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I think one of my various BB I get guides at will be cleaned out by the employees. Last time I was there the nerdy game kid was BS'in with me while I was hoarding them up and asking me a thosand question and I told him google is his friend. I came back to swoop the last few I didnt grab the day before and he told me he and his buddy figured it out and bought the last few.

Im not worried about my guy finding out ethier. He is some old guy in MD who runs a decent sized ebay store and I dont think he is the type to find CAG.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']When I first started reselling the bulk of my guides I had(500+ at one point) I was being given $1 a pop at least. But as of late it's been .25 each. Hopefully the person you're selling to doesn't do this as well, but I'm still not griping about it since that's 24x what I paid and 90-98% of them were worthless anyway and have just sat around the local shops I sold them to.

Oh and CaptainJoel, don't feel bad as the one local BB employee used to clear out both local stores and resell them all on Egay just after a drop.

Once I found out it was a local BB employee reselling them I bought one from them(The Warriors for PS2/Xbox) and I left them a negative(their only one) for being a reselling/hoarding ¢unt.[/QUOTE]

I would have reported him to the store manager. 1) They are not supposed to buy pennied merchandise and 2) they are not supposed to resell things from Best Buy.

This is how I avoid running into potential employee hoarders. Just go to the one you know won't hoard them. Clueless chick or old man or woman are your best bets. And never, ever, ever, get them priced checked by the guy in the video game section. Even you are uncertain on the price, go to the appliance, vacuum, or random other section to get it priced checked. If you are bound to find a hoarder, it would be in the video game section.

All the stores by me still have penny guides going back to June, and you can still order penny guides through the kiosk for home delivery/store pickup, so I doubt there is any "full crackdown" going on.

[quote name='polishpride212']I would have reported him to the store manager. 1) They are not supposed to buy pennied merchandise and 2) they are not supposed to resell things from Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Well, she was a college student and using the Egay selling to supplement her BB job.

Mind you, I don't think she made too much on each guide, but I just felt like being an ahole by giving her a negative.:D

[quote name='Bezerker']All the stores by me still have penny guides going back to June, and you can still order penny guides through the kiosk for home delivery/store pickup, so I doubt there is any "full crackdown" going on.[/QUOTE]

where do you live???? :bow:

One of the Best Buys near me still has a few penny guides clearly marked for sale for a penny on the shelf. That BB did pull the majority of the penny guides, though left and marked a few for a penny. Weird.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Tried to score a LBP guide at my BB today and when I went up to pay the check-out guy saw it ring up for a penny and was like, "Uhhh, I can't sell this. We have to send it back to the warehouse."

and I was like, "Seriously? Do me a solid, please? I'd really appreciate it if I could get this guide." to which he replied, "No."

fuck.[/QUOTE]

Are employees allowed to buy shit while they're on duty? That sucks, man. I would have walked back over there and confronted him.

[quote name='Zmonkay']
NOOOO-1.jpg

* I like to think of the broken metal crap as the guide racks, and the sparks as a glitter gun attack[/QUOTE]
swb251lt.jpg

Backstroke of the BB...

[quote name='shieryda']Are employees allowed to buy shit while they're on duty? That sucks, man. I would have walked back over there and confronted him.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they have to check out with another employee. You're not allowed to check yourself out, otherwise it'd be rather easy to steal/buy stuff your not supposed to buy.

[quote name='shieryda']Are employees allowed to buy shit while they're on duty? That sucks, man. I would have walked back over there and confronted him.[/QUOTE]

Only if they have clocked out for a break. Not when they're actually working.

As of right now there has been nothing from corporate regarding pennyguides or lack thereof in the future. So until march with no drops I would not worry about it.

Surely that can't be right...they always have to make room for new guides. I can't imagine of them selling out of certain ones they have now...plus a crap-ton of games come out b/t Jan and March that they'll need room for guides like that.

That being said, the only thing I might spend full price on is that LBP huge-edition guide that covers the GOTY and PSP editions. Man was that thing thick...

Sorry this is basically off topic at this point, but I'm just confirming from a few pages ago that both of the Fallout 3 expansion guides are pennied at GameStop. Broken Steel/Point Lookout was pennied out several weeks ago in the last big drop. It looks like the Operation Anchorage one happened a long time ago and went unnoticed. My guess is that these both pennied on the same day, but most stores were already long out of stock on the Op. Anc. one.

[quote name='SirChadlyOC']Sorry this is basically off topic at this point, but I'm just confirming from a few pages ago that both of the Fallout 3 expansion guides are pennied at GameStop. Broken Steel/Point Lookout was pennied out several weeks ago in the last big drop. It looks like the Operation Anchorage one happened a long time ago and went unnoticed. My guess is that these both pennied on the same day, but most stores were already long out of stock on the Op. Anc. one.[/QUOTE]

Not that it matters but the FO3 expansion guides didn't penny at the same time. I posted about it when I confirmed Broken Steel/Point Lookout. I had the girl at the register scan Oeration Anchorage and it was not a penny.

I found another Operation Anchorage/The Pitt guide but was denied when the newbie clerk told the other clerk that the guide was a penny. She told him to cancel the transaction and to deny the sale. At the GS down the street, I found yet another one and the clerk had no problem selling it to me. I gave him a pre-order to repay him. Hopefully, he remembers me during the next drop.

Well, I went back & looked at last years drops & Gamestop had a huge drop just before Christmas on like Dec. 22nd. Best Buy did not have a drop until Feb 18th. Just a heads up to keep an eye out for a possible GS drop in Dec...And Damn this thread dropped to page 8!

[quote name='shiningslade']Well, I went back & looked at last years drops & Gamestop had a huge drop just before Christmas on like Dec. 22nd. Best Buy did not have a drop until Feb 18th. Just a heads up to keep an eye out for a possible GS drop in Dec...And Damn this thread dropped to page 8![/QUOTE]

That's because I'm not going 'ZOMG you gotta see this haul I got from a (insert store name) in bum fuck Egypt, I grabbed all them shits and I now have enough guides to make a throne out of' on every page at least once for a while.

Of course, from all of my prior 'zomg' hauls, I DID have enough to make a throne out of at one point. Though I have nowhere near as many as you do. :razz: :booty:;)

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Tried to score a LBP guide at my BB today and when I went up to pay the check-out guy saw it ring up for a penny and was like, "Uhhh, I can't sell this. We have to send it back to the warehouse."

fuck.[/QUOTE]

report his ass to his manager

not only because he screwed over a customer but because he can't check himself out

Was checking out my local Hollywood Video for the 4.99 games and saw a Saint's Row guide gathering dust on a top shelf. Took it up to the register and lo - 0.01 was the price! picked it up along with some very tasty $5 games. This is a remnant for times long since gone - but I was unbelievably happy to find it, funny how a penny guide can give you such a boost if you find one by accident. Seems like the last few months have been like arctic expeditions and battling dragons at customer service within 12 hours of a drop being posted.......

I never have a problem with buying guides... Of course, I haven't been in BB since the B2G1 promotion, so I might have an issue next time. Oh well. C'est La Vie.

i'm looking forward to see if there's any guides left in my region when I get home. There was one store that would keep guides for just about forever and was a great source for hauls. I hope that I can go there and find all the ones I've missed over the last 6 months.

[quote name='Chronis']You should have made a throne of them and then took a pic.[/QUOTE]

I came pretty close at one point.:lol: Thing is, the local store I dumpe.....errrrr....sold that whole first lot to(minus 90-98% of the RPG and rarer guides, of course ;))still has about 90-95% of them sitting in the back room of the store buried under piles of various gaming crap.:lol:

It looks like a classic gaming store came to life, got the swine flu and barfed its contents on the floor in the back room of this shop.:roll:

Who knows. Maybe one of these millenia those 10+ copies(more like 20-30) of various Madden and NFL Head Coach and other sports guides I randomly inserted into the 30-40 stacks of guides(mostly crap) I had piled on their floor that day might be worth something.:D

Then again, I think we have a better chance of seeing Hitler resurrected as an android bent on world domination than that happening. :lol:

[quote name='buckythekat']report his ass to his manager

not only because he screwed over a customer but because he can't check himself out[/QUOTE]
I would but I really don't go in there often and it's about a half hour drive so I don't really feel like going to the trouble just because I got jipped on a penny guide.

It just really sucks. I can't get any pennied guides here.

[quote name='buckythekat']report his ass to his manager

not only because he screwed over a customer but because he can't check himself out[/QUOTE]
And most importantly, employees, whether on the clock or not are not allowed to buy pennied merchandise.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I would but I really don't go in there often and it's about a half hour drive so I don't really feel like going to the trouble just because I got jipped on a penny guide.

It just really sucks. I can't get any pennied guides here.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm in Kansas also and curious as to which BB this was? If you are near me at all I can hook you up with a free LBP guide!

In game crazy in North Haven today I saw godfather and a couple other titles in the list but they were in a $4.99 bin and had Game crazy upc over the original upc.

Breaking news at 11: Target clearances Video Game Guides!

I found a GTA: L&D guide that scanned with the NCF prefix and was $12.48

Not a deal, but still a reduced price guide. :p

Well since it's been bumped. I made a list (which I lost) of the newest guides to reach discontinued and deleted status, aka the next possible drops. There were maybe 10 on the list. The only ones I remember at the moment are Fallout 3 GotY CE, Dragon Age CE and Assassins Creed 2 CE. I don't think there will be a drop before X-Mas but I really have no clue. I almost bought the AC2 guide just cause I want it so bad but seeing that today I think I can wait it out.

[quote name='emg28']Not that it matters but the FO3 expansion guides didn't penny at the same time. I posted about it when I confirmed Broken Steel/Point Lookout. I had the girl at the register scan Oeration Anchorage and it was not a penny.

I found another Operation Anchorage/The Pitt guide but was denied when the newbie clerk told the other clerk that the guide was a penny. She told him to cancel the transaction and to deny the sale. At the GS down the street, I found yet another one and the clerk had no problem selling it to me. I gave him a pre-order to repay him. Hopefully, he remembers me during the next drop.[/QUOTE]

I found a broken steel one at GS with the .01 sticker on it. They gave it to me, but the manager was pissed at the employee that put it out.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Well since it's been bumped. I made a list (which I lost) of the newest guides to reach discontinued and deleted status, aka the next possible drops. There were maybe 10 on the list. The only ones I remember at the moment are Fallout 3 GotY CE, Dragon Age CE and Assassins Creed 2 CE. I don't think there will be a drop before X-Mas but I really have no clue. I almost bought the AC2 guide just cause I want it so bad but seeing that today I think I can wait it out.[/QUOTE]

HOLY SHIT. Those would be sweet.:bouncy:

[quote name='Collectorguy00']Hey, I'm in Kansas also and curious as to which BB this was? If you are near me at all I can hook you up with a free LBP guide![/QUOTE]
It was the BB near the mall in Manhattan.

And thanks, but I already scored a GOTY LBP guide as an early Christmas gift. :)

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Well since it's been bumped. I made a list (which I lost) of the newest guides to reach discontinued and deleted status, aka the next possible drops. There were maybe 10 on the list. The only ones I remember at the moment are Fallout 3 GotY CE, Dragon Age CE and Assassins Creed 2 CE. I don't think there will be a drop before X-Mas but I really have no clue. I almost bought the AC2 guide just cause I want it so bad but seeing that today I think I can wait it out.[/QUOTE]

I think last year, stores stopped guides from getting pennied due to the holiday season and put one big drop in February that almost everyone can probably remember.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Well since it's been bumped. I made a list (which I lost) of the newest guides to reach discontinued and deleted status, aka the next possible drops. There were maybe 10 on the list. The only ones I remember at the moment are Fallout 3 GotY CE, Dragon Age CE and Assassins Creed 2 CE. I don't think there will be a drop before X-Mas but I really have no clue. I almost bought the AC2 guide just cause I want it so bad but seeing that today I think I can wait it out.[/QUOTE]Those would be some nice guides to pick up, if they did end up pennying out quickly. I'd be surprised if we saw them penny out before February or March.

Could be. They always want to get rid of the CE since they take up so much space compared to the regular guide. I doubt before Christmas though.

You could also add Modern Warfare 2 LE to that list, as it (and the other guides listed) has been listed as Limited Availability on the website.

It would be nice to see the drop before Christmas because maybe with the stores so busy, the drops would get lost in the shuffle so to speak and stores would be too busy for forget to pull them.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']It would be nice to see the drop before Christmas because maybe with the stores so busy, the drops would get lost in the shuffle so to speak and stores would be too busy for forget to pull them.[/QUOTE]

Anytime before New Year's is great for that scenario. The monday after Christmas would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back