Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread X(Ten)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187222

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?

A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You're quite welcome, slowdive. I didn't check FO3 @ BBV, but it went MIA from all of my local Blockbuster stores recently. While not a confirmation that it dropped, the fact it went missing from the shelves is usually a good sign.[/QUOTE]

Just saw it less than an hour ago marked $12.50 or $11.50

[quote name='shoe478']Price stickers mean nothing![/QUOTE]

duh, I meant it was Not pulled and this store is on top of everything

[quote name='cdul']Game Crazy had a small penny guide drop today:

Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XII
God of War II
Harvest Moon - Tree of Tranquility
Infinite Undisc
overy
Tales of Vesperia

My store only had two Crisis Core's and two XII's. Wish we had a Vesperia guide or two for me and my buddy.[/QUOTE]
I was a couple days off. I went into my GC on Thursday and checked most every guide. There were a ton of drops to $10, including Crisis Core and Infinite Undiscovery, but no pennied guides. I guess I'll be stopping by to try again.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How so? They have them on the shelf, that's what they ring up and if a clerk(or even a manager as I've run into from time to time)allow the sale, then where is the fraud?

You really need to check the dictionary, since what we ALL are doing in this thread is NOT fraud. Now, if I bought a penny guide and then tried to return it to Borders without a receipt and say I got it there, then yes, that IS fraud.

But buying something for the price it rings up as is NOT fraud.

Don't like what we're doing in this thread, then ignore it since some of us would rather pay a penny for a guide than get gouged $20 each.

EDIT: And it's you're not your. Please learn proper usage of words prior to using them. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I like what we are doing, but forcing stores to price match penny guides is just lame!

You Fraudster!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How so? They have them on the shelf, that's what they ring up and if a clerk(or even a manager as I've run into from time to time)allow the sale, then where is the fraud?

You really need to check the dictionary, since what we ALL are doing in this thread is NOT fraud. Now, if I bought a penny guide and then tried to return it to Borders without a receipt and say I got it there, then yes, that IS fraud.

But buying something for the price it rings up as is NOT fraud.

Don't like what we're doing in this thread, then ignore it since some of us would rather pay a penny for a guide than get gouged $20 each.

EDIT: And it's you're not your. Please learn proper usage of words prior to using them. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Please learn proper usage of words prior to using them. Thanks.

This is proper grammar?

FAIL!

[quote name='Supernova']Please learn proper usage of words prior to using them. Thanks.

This is proper grammar?

FAIL![/QUOTE]

First of all genius, I didn't force anybody to price match a penny guide. They did it for me without any griping, even though it was an unusual request.

Second, since it was part of their corporate policy to allow price matches of competitors' prices, I was well within my rights as a consumer to ask for one. They could've said NO, but they didn't.

Lastly, I do apologize for being so snippy about the grammar thing, since we all make faux pas regarding it on the internet.

But you seriously need to check the dictionary, since what I did was NOT fraud, simply taking advantage of one of the store's own policies.

I do think that fraud requires a lie to be told. And it does not seem like one was. It was CC's job to enforce their policy correctly, which they did not do. That is entirely on them. Was it the right thing to do? One could debate that, but clearly no fraud happened.
Just thought maybe this had gone on long enough without anyone actually stating the obvious.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']First of all genius, I didn't force anybody to price match a penny guide. They did it for me without any griping, even though it was an unusual request.

Second, since it was part of their corporate policy to allow price matches of competitors' prices, I was well within my rights as a consumer to ask for one. They could've said NO, but they didn't.

Lastly, I do apologize for being so snippy about the grammar thing, since we all make faux pas regarding it on the internet.

But you seriously need to check the dictionary, since what I did was NOT fraud, simply taking advantage of one of the store's own policies.[/QUOTE]

There you go again. I think you meant Fox Pass and I have never made a pass at a fox on the internet (I'm speaking of 4 legged foxes).

[quote name='shoe478']There you go again. I think you meant Fox Pass and I have never made a pass at a fox on the internet (I'm speaking of 4 legged foxes).[/QUOTE]

Darn right he meant fox pass! Faux pas is a FRENCH word, and we don't speak that crap in America!

Now, let me just grab my attaché case-- I've got a rendezvous with a fellow entrepreneur down the boulevard at a little bistro. Gonna have some filet mignon and a bit of pinot noir. Kinda cliché, I know. Then I'm gonna shake off that sense of déjà vu and grab some souvenirs on the way home.

[quote name='Supernova']IAmTheCheapestGamer is the reason there's no more Circuit City![/QUOTE]

I can't take all the credit for Circuit City's demise, since some really messed up management decisions helped to contribute to their downfall(like laying off tons of seasoned workers then trying to hire them back at next to nothing), but I thank you nonetheless.

Now if only Best Buy would be next to go, since their idea of 'sales' anymore suck compared to when they had real competition.

[quote name='Supernova']IAmTheCheapestGamer is the reason there's no more Circuit City![/QUOTE]

Damn you, IATCG!!! You single-handedly took down a corporation on losses arising from 20 dollar guides.

Can you work on Sears next? They really need to die.

Seeing Circuit City go down was beautiful, finally they paid the price for their management decisions and charging a third of the cost of an electronic product for it's crappy extended warranty.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Damn you, IATCG!!! You single-handedly took down a corporation on losses arising from 20 dollar guides.

Can you work on Sears next? They really need to die.[/QUOTE]

I refuse to work on taking down Sears or Kmart, since they're the only stores I get any game deals from anymore. Best Buy seems to have completely given up on any really GOOD deals since Circuit City bit the dust and I never had any real luck at Target or Toys R Us regarding clearance.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Damn you, IATCG!!! You single-handedly took down a corporation on losses arising from 20 dollar guides.

Can you work on Sears next? They really need to die.[/QUOTE]

I think speedy deserves some credit too! ;)

Speaking of Speedy, what the heck ever happened to him. After the whole 'Circuit City is suing him for posting the drop info', he seems to have disappeared, unless I'm just oblivious and he continued to be a contributing member after that whole fiasco.

lol!

It's obvious he hoards all these guides, and deals to sell on ebay.

It's getting so hard to find these 1 cent guides now, and management is getting so bitter towards anyone who tries in my area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I used to grab as many guides as I could, but now....well you said it. The managers around here block me at every turn anymore. However, I never sold any of them on Ebay.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This is it, but just like every other thread on here lately it's gone wayyyyyy off topic.[/QUOTE]

I'd be disappointed in any thread if it reach 67 pages and almost 1400 posts and DIDN'T go wayyyyy off topic.

I found Mortal Kombat Vs DC, and Super Smash Bros at a Blockbuster and the lady keep ringing them up and I'm guessing they were coming up a penny. She did it about 10 times then said hold on and grabbed a madded 10 guide(or something) and rang it up twice. I told her I forgot my $$$ at home and left. I didn't feel like fighting with her.

I found an Infinite Undiscovery Guide at a game crazy....was sooooo happy since this is one of the first penny guides I found that I actually WANTED. The lady called her manager over and he ripped off the cover (NOOO!!!!!!!!) and then said he would give it to me only if I preorder something. So I preordered FIFA 10. The only problem is that store is pretty far away from where I live, so its going to be annoying when I have to go pick it up...but at LEAST I got the guide.

[quote name='loserboy']I'd be disappointed in any thread if it reach 67 pages and almost 1400 posts and DIDN'T go wayyyyy off topic.[/QUOTE]

What if it was an OT thread?

Went to a store that was in the process of removing the penny guides. They let me keep FFXII, FF&CC, and Infinite Discovery. Score!

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']I found an Infinite Undiscovery Guide at a game crazy....was sooooo happy since this is one of the first penny guides I found that I actually WANTED. The lady called her manager over and he ripped off the cover (NOOO!!!!!!!!) and then said he would give it to me only if I preorder something. So I preordered FIFA 10. The only problem is that store is pretty far away from where I live, so its going to be annoying when I have to go pick it up...but at LEAST I got the guide.[/QUOTE]

I would've been asking him if there's anything I could do to get the guide as it is BEFORE he ripped the cover off, then threw a $5 deposit down on XYZ game and just left with my pristine prize before it got mangled.

But if he still tore the cover off right as you're getting ready to say you'd toss $5 on a game to pre-order for the guide, I'd put my wallet back and walk the hell out.

It's sickening, in that if GC is anything like GS all they have to do is zero out the guide in the system and then toss it away without destroying it.

I really wish my local stores had clerks who would just put a 'free' sign out in front of guides and other crap when it pennies. So much good stuff ends up buried in the ground. :cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Speaking of Speedy, what the heck ever happened to him. After the whole 'Circuit City is suing him for posting the drop info', he seems to have disappeared, unless I'm just oblivious and he continued to be a contributing member after that whole fiasco.[/QUOTE]

Speedy returned after a short break following the whole ad situation. He was back for quite awhile and then left again due to being laid off/let go from his job.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
It's sickening, in that if GC is anything like GS all they have to do is zero out the guide in the system and then toss it away without destroying it.

I really wish my local stores had clerks who would just put a 'free' sign out in front of guides and other crap when it pennies. So much good stuff ends up buried in the ground. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I just think it is so annoying whenever they rip off the cover. To this day I still do not understand why they do this. Im taking 1 guide....thats it. If I was taking like 8 up to the counter and they all rang up a penny, then they could assume that Im hoarding and refuse to sell or rip the cover off. But when someone is getting one guide im pretty sure they are not going to resell that or anything. If all they have to do is what you say, it kind of pisses me when they give me a hard time when it comes to penny guides, though I guess if they began selling the guides at a penny or giving them away, they wouldnt make money, since everyone would always wait to get the guide at 1 penny.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']I just think it is so annoying whenever they rip off the cover. To this day I still do not understand why they do this. Im taking 1 guide....thats it. If I was taking like 8 up to the counter and they all rang up a penny, then they could assume that Im hoarding and refuse to sell or rip the cover off. But when someone is getting one guide im pretty sure they are not going to resell that or anything. If all they have to do is what you say, it kind of pisses me when they give me a hard time when it comes to penny guides, though I guess if they began selling the guides at a penny or giving them away, they wouldnt make money, since everyone would always wait to get the guide at 1 penny.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it all just boils down to money. They get a reward of sorts for sending the covers of guides back to their publishers, but after the cover's gone they probably couldn't care less what happens to them.

Whatever happened to the "Reduced Price Game Guides" thread? Please keep this thread on-topic, and knock off all the bullshit discussion. A few of you just keep bumping this thread with your nonsense (you all know who you are).

Hoping for a Fallout 3 guide drop today.:D

[quote name='shieryda']

Hoping for a Fallout 3 guide drop today.:D[/QUOTE]

No doubt a F3 guide would rock but to be honest i'd be happy for a GTA 4 or even a Halo 3, how long will those guides stay full price?

Today, I was able to get Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII guide from GC.
But a wierd thing happened, while the cashier was ringing my guide, he looked hesistant and then asked for my "name" and "number"? (*wtf)

Have this happen to any of you guys??

I was surprised that he asked, so I questioned him, "Why do you want my info?" then he stated, "I needed it to complete the transaction."

What do you think he needed my info for; was I ban from GC?

Ive been asked for my number every single time Ive purchased something from a GC, my first name as well. I have no idea what its for but every time they check if youve shopped with them before. Seems pointless to me, but no you are not banned haha.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I stopped at Gamecrazy today and I started picking through the guide racks. As I was doing so, (I had already found a FFXI, FFVII, Infinite Undiscovery and Tales of Vesperia),[/QUOTE]

you should have bought Vesperia full price ;)

Thanks for the tip there, Pooky. Now I just changed TOV on my TL to 'REALLY GOOD OFFER NEEDED'.

Someone coulda easily grabbed it from me before for anything I wanted(including a penny guide with zero real value:razz:). So, thanks for letting me know that it's got some worth to it.

Now it's off to check the rest of my TL worth of guides and see if there's anymore hidden treasures in that list.

[quote name='Pookymeister']you should have bought Vesperia full price ;)[/QUOTE]
Tales of Vesperia had already dropped to $10 over the last month or so.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']He said that because it's worth about $60+ on Ebay.[/QUOTE]
Just sayin' it was nice to pay $10 less than expected. Increases eBay margins, you know ;). It's moot now anyway. However, there were many more guides at GC that rang up for $10, so if anyone has their eye on one in particular you may want to price check it. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is one.

I got that feeling too, like this GC drop was a bit smaller than the usual ones. We may have missed some, so if anyone comes across new ones that aren't in the second post, lemme know.

This might be of interest to some who couldn't find the guide when it pennied and may need/want it for their playthrough of the game.

Heavenly Sword guide-$10 @ Hollywood Video

I had it price checked a while back and was shocked it was still in the case and $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back