Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread X(Ten)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187222

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?

A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
All right guys, I managed to get Dragon Quest V and King of Fighters XII guides for a penny at GameStop. I also saw Killzone 2, and some wrestling one, but I forgot which.

I was able to get....

Bioshock PS2
Cheat Code Overload Summer
Dragon Quest V
King of Fighters XII
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Terminator: Salvation
WWE Legends of Wreslemania
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

GS drops today

[quote name='microchip2378']I was able to get....

Bioshock PS2
Dragon Quest V
King of Fighters XII
X-Men Origins: Wolverine[/QUOTE]

add -
Harvest Moon Tree of Tranquility
Infinite Undiscovery
GTA IV Lost & Damned
COD WOW
Bioshock PS3333
Saints Row 2
Killzone 2
Pokemon Stickedex
The Last Remnant
Legends of Wrestlemania
Smackdown 2009
Little Big Planet
all Brady (except Pokemon)

all in hand including those from microchip...

enjoy!...good luck!

Holy crap, that's a few of them. :shock:

Here's an alpha list:
Bioshock PS3
COD WOW
Dragon Quest V
GTA IV Lost & Damned
Harvest Moon Tree of Tranquility
Infinite Undiscovery
Killzone 2
King of Fighters XII
Last Remnant, The
Legends of Wrestlemania
Little Big Planet
Pokemon Stickedex
Saints Row 2
Smackdown 2009
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Damn, I was looking at a Harvest Moon guide just yesterday wishing it was a penny. At a GS way out of the way too so it is not like I will be able to get back there, none close to me either. Ah well, you win some and you lose some I guess. Maybe I will be able to find LBP though, it was the one that wasn't at any of the BBs this week.

The Metroid Prime Trilogy that dropped @ BB was softcover. I'll add the list of dropped guides from GS to the second and the third Wiki post in a little but.

Thanks as always to those who helped contribute to the list.

EDIT: Second and third posts are now updated. I removed the duplicate "Legends Of Wrestlemania", changed GTAIV: LATD to Grand Theft Auto IV Lost & The Damned and some other minor tweaks to the list.

Thanks for compiling the list, Shrike.

Has anyone tried checking any of the other ones that dropped @ BB but perhaps didn't drop yet at GS(Metroid Prime Trilogy, Tomb Raider Underworld), since it seems like GS mirrors BB's drops a week later.

I just e-mailed the web administrator of the DP site asking why I cannot post on that site(where I'm also registered as IAmTheCheapestGamer), since I was going to lay into the OP of that lovely cut/paste asking why they chose to steal our thread without so much as even a single credit.

Thanks to this thread, not only did I get 11 guides at my local Best Buy, but while I was there I also found a couple of new clearance bins. I got Wipeout pulse, Moon, and one of the psp budokai games for $5 each, and they had some old ipod nano cases bundled with Itunes $15 giftcards on clearance for $7.50, so I got two of those. So all in all, Thank You for this thread!

I hate all of my local GSs. They are so on top of pulling their guides it is not even funny. The only chance I have with them is when a newb is opening on the day of the drop and fills in all the gaps with the previous drops that are still in the back. No such luck today.

Hi guys, I am new to CAG. Thanks to you I got my LBP guide for a penny.

However, no such luck with four local GS. Is it always this hard to get pennied guides from GS compare to BB?

Gamestop used to be pretty easy to get guides from, but they've been cracking down ALOT as of late. The local stores are a dead zone for me since most of the workers are 'veterans' now and not some newbies who don't know that they're not supposed to sell the guides when they drop to a penny.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The Metroid Prime Trilogy that dropped @ BB was softcover. I'll add the list of dropped guides from GS to the second and the third Wiki post in a little but.

EDIT: Second and third posts are now updated. I removed the duplicate "Legends Of Wrestlemania", changed GTAIV: LATD to Grand Theft Auto IV Lost & The Damned and some other minor tweaks to the list.

Has anyone tried checking any of the other ones that dropped @ BB but perhaps didn't drop yet at GS(Metroid Prime Trilogy, Tomb Raider Underworld), since it seems like GS mirrors BB's drops a week later.[/QUOTE]

IATCAG, what's up?
2 BB drops ago, I type up all the BB SKU numbers I found to help members search BB intranet and post them with a missing Sonic guide...it takes over a day to add the Sonic guide with "speculated" guides added right away and the sku numbers...meh....

Today, I rush home to type up the list for members and end up adding additional titles (compiling) to a list already posted by microchip (BIG thanks to him for the heads up post!) ...I did not take time to alpha the list, as time is crucial at GS ... but thanks to shrike for the alpha list....

where's the love???

Perhaps you missed this:

:roll:

Anyway, the alphabetized list makes it scores easier for me to keep this thread updated. Albeit, there were duplications and abbreviations where I'd rather use the full names of guides(which I've edited as such).

But don't think that I'm ungrateful for the help, as I do always thank those who help contribute information. I just happened to thank Shrike because he made my life alot easier, since I only had to cut/paste the list to the second post and it was all alphabetized already. :razz:

I just wish that other outlets that're cut/pasting this would give SOME sort of credit. :roll: Not that I'm looking for recognition for this or anything, but at least if they're gonna steal the combined work of many from this thread, at least give us some credit, be it a link or a line in their OP.

the nicest Penny guide experience Ive had yet. I went to my local GS and took just the DQ guide to buy. The guy rang it up and said oh wow...it was supposed to be pulled, so you can have it. Then he told me about how he got a lot that morning with his coworkers and when I asked if they had Infinite Undiscovery, he told me all the guides that were pulled this morning are sitting right behind the counter. He told me that they pull tehm, and just give them out to random customers, and whatevers left they take straight to the dumpster. He then told me, help youself, grap as many as you want. So I grabbed 1 of each, except 2 IU.

Off topic: Is it just me or is anyone else LOLing at the choice of ads atop the page at times?

I currently have an ad for Game Copy PRO(copying ANY game) at the top of the page right now. Isn't it a bit ironic, since pirating talk is forbidden on CAG, yet one of the ads to show up is for a game copying program? LMFAO

Was able to pick-up:

Infamous
Call of Duty: World at War
Wolfenstein
Gears of War 2
Ghostbusters
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe

all for a grand total of 0.07... I love this site!

I was going to come on here and confirm everything that pennied, but you guys got it all. In fact, I didn't know about Infinite Undiscovery or Lost Remnant because my store was sold out.

One other note: the regular Grand Theft Auto IV guide dropped to $9.99 during all this penny hooplah! Also, recently the Halo 3 guide dropped to $5. They're still far away from $0.01, but maybe someone would find that useful.

Has anyone checked Grand Theft Auto IV at Best Buy? My local stores are all sold out of it, but I'm sure someone's store has it in stock. I haven't seen it on the site for a while now, but it's due to penny.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Has anyone checked Grand Theft Auto IV at Best Buy? My local stores are all sold out of it, but I'm sure someone's store has it in stock. I haven't seen it on the site for a while now, but it's due to penny.[/QUOTE]

I checked. It is NOT a penny...yet. Neither is PoP softcover OR
Force Unleashed.

[quote name='slowdive21']I checked. It is NOT a penny...yet. Neither is PoP softcover OR
Force Unleashed.[/QUOTE]
Yep, those are 3 that I can't believe continue to hang on. Force Unleashed isn't a penny at GS yet either is it? What is with that one?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The Metroid Prime Trilogy that dropped @ BB was softcover. I'll add the list of dropped guides from GS to the second and the third Wiki post in a little but.

Has anyone tried checking any of the other ones that dropped @ BB but perhaps didn't drop yet at GS(Metroid Prime Trilogy, Tomb Raider Underworld), since it seems like GS mirrors BB's drops a week later.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Saw the hard cover today but didn't have time to check it.

I did pick up Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings,NCAA Football 10,Wolfenstein and Street Fighter IV (street fight IV I just got at Tarfet for$9.98 right acroos the street from the best buy in waterford ct) Side note did get some clearance games there too I got Hot wheels Beat that! xbox360 for $5, Dark messiah xbox360 for $10, The Club ps3 for $10 and wii 2 pack no more heroeos/ redsteel for $15.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Has anyone tried checking any of the other ones that dropped @ BB but perhaps didn't drop yet at GS(Metroid Prime Trilogy, Tomb Raider Underworld), since it seems like GS mirrors BB's drops a week later.[/QUOTE]

TRU pennied at GS last month. Some guides penny at BB first, some at GS first.

^ $5 and shipping is free? I guess I have no concept of shipping charges, I'd have thought it was at least $5 to ship that bad boy. Is there a special book rate?

Yeah you can ship it media mail but it is still going to be around $3, plus the cost of a bubble mailer. I'll be generous and say $3.50 total postage and shipping supplies cost. Paypal is another $0.45. Final Value Fee of $0.75. That is $0.30 profit per guide. If he prints out the label online then there is $0.19 delivery confirmation that makes it $0.11 profit. It is so stupid of them to buy 26 copies of the guide (10 sold, 16 available) and possibly lose money (since I think a bubble mailer to fit a guide would be more than I figured in).

There are people out there that try to help people out who can't find the guides.(instead of trying to rip people off for the guides)

Then there's El Hoardo of the Target thread.(read the last 5+ pages of the Target clearance thread;))

[quote name='supaet']maybe he's doing this out of pure goodness.

I know it's hard for anyone to think that way in this thread.[/QUOTE]
I don't know, ebay isn't exactly about goodness. It is about profit. CAG is much more "good" than just about anything on ebay. Ebay is about money, period. They bill themselves as "the world's largest online marketplace," which is fine, but markets are about making money. At least that is my opinion.

[quote name='dabamus']There are people out there that try to help people out who can't find the guides.(instead of trying to rip people off for the guides)[/QUOTE]

If any of you can't find any of the guides you want, why not hit up my 'pal' Muthafodder on here who said.....and I quote(directly from their Guide Trade Thread post):

If the multiple guides in my Have list don't trade within two weeks of dropping, contact me about getting them for $2.78 shipped if you need a guide...but you mustn't be on my ignore list. I have no intention of sitting on extra guides...if I picked any up I was headed there anyways...I'm out nothing but a penny.

The last time I checked, they still had guides from the September drop from BB, so it's been more than 2 weeks. :D

[quote name='dabamus']There are people out there that try to help people out who can't find the guides.(instead of trying to rip people off for the guides)[/QUOTE]

There's always my "pal" Muthafodder, who promised(and I quote from their guide trade thread post):

If the multiple guides in my Have list don't trade within two weeks of dropping, contact me about getting them for $2.78 shipped if you need a guide...but you mustn't be on my ignore list. I have no intention of sitting on extra guides...if I picked any up I was headed there anyways...I'm out nothing but a penny.

fuck, I really want DQV, Infinite Undiscovery, and Last Remnant, but I know damn well my GS's have all scrapped theirs:bomb: Time to update the ol trade list.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Yeah you can ship it media mail but it is still going to be around $3, plus the cost of a bubble mailer.[/QUOTE]

A bubble mailer is more protection than is necessary for a game guide; a large manila envelope with a bit of scrap cardboard to cover the front and act as a stiffener is usually enough. Those only cost 10-15 cents each.

Speaking as someone who periodically dumps untraded guides grabbed from drops on eBay, the profit margin is razor thin-- the ones I burn off usually go for $1-3, with $4 shipping. For me, it's not about profit, it's about getting rid of stuff that I can't trade/can't give to any of my pals. As I'm sure other CAGs will confirm, the damn things start piling up after a few consecutive drops. Also when you first start picking up penny guides, it's tempting to just grab 10-20 at a time, 2-4 copies of every one on the list. I'm a lot more selective now, but I still have a bunch of old guides kicking around (who needs a copy of FRACTURE? :p ), and I'm loath to just throw them away.

The only guide I ever made decent money from was LEGO Indiana Jones. Found four copies MONTHS after the original drop, gave one to my nephew (he's mad about all the LEGO games), sold 3 on eBay, and they all went for at least $15. What's the deal with that-- do LEGO collectors hunt those down, or are they just rare for some reason?

[quote name='ackbar7']Wow, when time, shipping blah blah blah is factored in, what's he making? a dime, maybe? Nice job buddy. Way to hoard for nothing buddy :wall: :twoguns:[/QUOTE]

Well I went ahead and bought one...missed out on this, but I will certainly grab it for 5.00. He better friggin ship it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back