Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread X(Ten)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187222

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?

A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ackbar7']Yep, those are 3 that I can't believe continue to hang on. Force Unleashed isn't a penny at GS yet either is it? What is with that one?[/QUOTE]

Force unleashed is being re-released as the "sith edition", so maybe they are not releasing a new guide for it.

[quote name='Mike Toole']A bubble mailer is more protection than is necessary for a game guide; a large manila envelope with a bit of scrap cardboard to cover the front and act as a stiffener is usually enough. Those only cost 10-15 cents each.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you don't ship media mail, but packages get treated like shiz when you send media mail. I traded with a CAG and sent guides in a bubble mailer that was destroyed by media mail. Had to resend some of the guides. Probably would have been worse if I had used a manilla envelope.

Most CAGs I've traded guides with use bubble mailer or boxes for this reason.

[quote name='Mike Toole']The only guide I ever made decent money from was LEGO Indiana Jones. Found four copies MONTHS after the original drop, gave one to my nephew (he's mad about all the LEGO games), sold 3 on eBay, and they all went for at least $15. What's the deal with that-- do LEGO collectors hunt those down, or are they just rare for some reason?[/QUOTE]It seems that the two big Lego guides worth any real profitable money are Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga and Lego Indiana Jones. That might be because they were a bit scarce in production numbers, so their value seems to be a bit more than the "standard" guide.

[quote name='jgamezcua']Maybe if you don't ship media mail, but packages get treated like shiz when you send media mail. I traded with a CAG and sent guides in a bubble mailer that was destroyed by media mail. Had to resend some of the guides. Probably would have been worse if I had used a manilla envelope.

Most CAGs I've traded guides with use bubble mailer or boxes for this reason.[/QUOTE]Youch. I've been very lucky with guide shipments, as I haven't had any get eaten by media mail.

I've been using plastic #5 bubble mailers, with cardboard cutouts top and bottom of the guide(s), with huge DO NOT BEND written on top and bottom of the bubble mailer. Anything too big for a #5 bubble mailer goes in a box with bubble wrap covering the guides.

Again, so far, so good.

Does anyone have the SKU for Star Ocean or the Fallout 3 hardcover? I'm considering a bit of a road trip tomorrow and I want to check these guide's availability. Thanks in advance.

I've lost exactly one package with Media Mail. Quietly refunded the buyer and apologized for the inconvenience, no harm done. Everything else arrived, according to my eBay feedback, quickyl and in great shape.

I should note that, when I say 'bit of cardboard' to stiffen the envelope, it's usually thick cardboard cut from large cartons-- VERY hard to bend-- and sized to just barely fit in the envelope with the book. Seems to make the stuff durable enough.

I'm still looking for SFIV at Best Buy. I think I may have to hit the trade thread, can't find the dang thing!

[quote name='carlcarlson']Does anyone have the SKU for Star Ocean or the Fallout 3 hardcover?[/QUOTE]

FO3 CE (non-GOTY) 9107138

[quote name='carlcarlson']Does anyone have the SKU for Star Ocean or the Fallout 3 hardcover? I'm considering a bit of a road trip tomorrow and I want to check these guide's availability. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

carlson, huh? You the shmuck who cut/pasted the list in the second post to Digital Press' site without crediting CAG?

Instead of working on making friends' lists and other useless shit, Cheapy really should've invested in a way to encode items on clearance/sale threads so that in order to be cut/pasted you have to be the OP or an admin ONLY.

It would definitely cut down on the amount of thievery by other sites.

Score, just got back from Gamestop (still called software etc. here) in the mall and the guy working just let me pick through the stack. He said they were just about to toss them anyways. Got a couple Killzone 2s, Bioshock, GTA 4 Lost and Damned, and four other ones.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']carlson, huh? You the shmuck who cut/pasted the list in the second post to Digital Press' site without crediting CAG?

Instead of working on making friends' lists and other useless shit, Cheapy really should've invested in a way to encode items on clearance/sale threads so that in order to be cut/pasted you have to be the OP or an admin ONLY.

It would definitely cut down on the amount of thievery by other sites.[/QUOTE]

yessir, that's me. And here's my reply in that thread:

"Are you implying that I didn't do all of this research myself? That I didn't infiltrate Best Buy's headquarters and smuggle out the penny guide master list? That I didn't beat employees until they finally leaked this precious info? Are you saying that I didn't travel the country doing price checks on every guide I found?

Because yeah, that's obviously not the case. This is from the good ol' CAG, as everyone knows. Thanks for the policing though, your time has been well spent."

Everyone on DP knows and enjoys CAG, deals get posted over there all the time that originated here (heck, we even created a subforum for it). If you really feel like I'm purposely trying to take the credit for your work then hey, I apologize, that's not my intent. I'll go edit the first post of my thread to reflect where the info is coming from.

[quote name='gantt']FO3 CE (non-GOTY) 9107138[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir. It looks like there are some available, so I guess I'm taking a trip.

When the next guide thread is made(probably around 4000/5000 posts in this one), I'm going to start asking my fellow CAG's to include the UPC/SKU numbers wherever possible when reporting about drops. I know some of you are already doing this and apologize for not including them in the recent drop info, but I only excluded them to save space(and time when editing the Wiki post).

If anyone wants to start a UPC/SKU post and keep it updated and re-post it every so often for those having issues finding the exact versions of guides that dropped, that's fine with me.

Thanks for clarifying, carl. I didn't mean to come across like I did, but every time these lists have been posted in multiple locations the deal has become VERY dead for a while.

As for where you get your info from, I supposedly have a 'new source', though it appears that she is not going to become a member of CAG anytime soon. Oh well...

[quote name='carlcarlson']Everyone on DP knows and enjoys CAG, deals get posted over there all the time that originated here (heck, we even created a subforum for it). [/QUOTE]
So because info from CAG is stolen all the time that makes it right? I think there is a flaw in that logic.

[quote name='carlcarlson']yessir, that's me. And here's my reply in that thread:

"Are you implying that I didn't do all of this research myself? That I didn't infiltrate Best Buy's headquarters and smuggle out the penny guide master list? That I didn't beat employees until they finally leaked this precious info? Are you saying that I didn't travel the country doing price checks on every guide I found?

Because yeah, that's obviously not the case. This is from the good ol' CAG, as everyone knows. Thanks for the policing though, your time has been well spent."

Everyone on DP knows and enjoys CAG, deals get posted over there all the time that originated here (heck, we even created a subforum for it). If you really feel like I'm purposely trying to take the credit for your work then hey, I apologize, that's not my intent. I'll go edit the first post of my thread to reflect where the info is coming from.

Thank you sir. It looks like there are some available, so I guess I'm taking a trip.[/QUOTE]

thin indeed, whoopee credit :applause: for theft but no contribution.
first the Target community thread now this...
if it matters carl, I post here for members here not digipress, etc. It seems hard enough for other contributing cag members to find what they are seeking without a lazy cut and paste to add more competition...

I'll just start pming members ...

Like I said above, I really wish that Cheapy had spent the $$$ on adding some sort of coding that makes cut/pasting impossible from the OP's of every main thread, so that way at least it won't be so easy for people to just take all of the info and paste it somewhere else.

Even better idea is find a way to make a 'stolen from CAG' border appear around the info that's pasted once it's pasted, sort of like one of those old silver rental stickers that leave 'void void void' on the disc/cart when you remove them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Like I said above, I really wish that Cheapy had spent the $$$ on adding some sort of coding that makes cut/pasting impossible from the OP's of every main thread, so that way at least it won't be so easy for people to just take all of the info and paste it somewhere else.

Even better idea is find a way to make a 'stolen from CAG' border appear around the info that's pasted once it's pasted, sort of like one of those old silver rental stickers that leave 'void void void' on the disc/cart when you remove them.[/QUOTE]

I have always supported the "impossible" idea but IMO the "credit" just brings new lurkers, lazy, noncontributing members but just my opinion...

I'll write cheapy a lil note and hope others will ...

I know Friend Of Sonic certainly will, since their OP was blatantly stolen from the Target thread a while ago.

There are some ways to make it harder for stuff to just be cut/pasted, but it's still not in the realm of making it impossible.

If anything, I'd just like to see the originals formatted so people can't just right click and copy. At least then they'll have to type up everything they want to take, which is like work for those lazy bastards. :razz: That ought to discourage some of them, at least.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I know Friend Of Sonic certainly will, since their OP was blatantly stolen from the Target thread a while ago.

There are some ways to make it harder for stuff to just be cut/pasted, but it's still not in the realm of making it impossible.

If anything, I'd just like to see the originals formatted so people can't just right click and copy. At least then they'll have to type up everything they want to take, which is like work for those lazy bastards. :razz: That ought to discourage some of them, at least.[/QUOTE]
That incident is why I don't really contribute to the Target thread anymore.
Plagiarism is still plagiarism no matter how one tries to rationalize it.
What I really don't understand is when the thieves recant and say "ok I'll add credit to CAG", why didn't you just do that to begin with?:roll:

Here how about this...

If everyone over at DP loves CAG, just let them read it on CAG.

There is no need to post to other deal sites. Not only do you take away from the CAG community but then you get other sites like Slickdeals/Fatwallet/etc in on the action... alot of their users are dealers who buy up the whole lot which leaves nothing for the rest of us.

[quote name='lordopus99']Here how about this...

There is no need to post to other deal sites. Not only do you take away from the CAG community but then you get other sites like Slickdeals/Fatwallet/etc in on the action... alot of their users are dealers who buy up the whole lot which leaves nothing for the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Although I will say that once some SD/FW types found out that Ebay gets flooded with the guides just after a drop, many of them swore they would 'not bother again' with grabbing them.

I guess $1-2 each isn't enough profit for all of the time/gas/effort they wasted.:lol:

[quote name='lordopus99']Here how about this...

There is no need to post to other deal sites. Not only do you take away from the CAG community but then you get other sites like Slickdeals/Fatwallet/etc in on the action... alot of their users are dealers who buy up the whole lot which leaves nothing for the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

That's ironic considering a lot of CAG members load up their cars with all the guides leaving nothing for "the rest of us."

But I do agree the less people that know about it the better. Keep it on CAG. At least there will be less competition that way.

I think the whole penny guide thing will slow down and eventually die...I got denied today at a local GS that has always sold me guides with no problem. I was even buying a copy of Chaos Wars as mentioned in another thread but it was still a no-go.

[quote name='jimijumper']I think the whole penny guide thing will slow down and eventually die...I got denied today at a local GS that has always sold me guides with no problem. I was even buying a copy of Chaos Wars as mentioned in another thread but it was still a no-go.[/QUOTE]
I think GS is pretty difficult, and certainly at the 3 or 4 closest to me who seem to have had the same 5 employees at each one now for years.

[quote name='ackbar7']I think GS is pretty difficult, and certainly at the 3 or 4 closest to me who seem to have had the same 5 employees at each one now for years.[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention that it was a new employee who had to "ask the manager" if he could sell them...apparently the manager said "no"

they must be conditioning the newer employees on the new company policy of no sale for penny guides

[quote name='jimijumper']I think the whole penny guide thing will slow down and eventually die...I got denied today at a local GS that has always sold me guides with no problem. I was even buying a copy of Chaos Wars as mentioned in another thread but it was still a no-go.[/QUOTE]

Consider yourself lucky if they are just starting to deny you now. There used to be managers that would let me take my pick, but those days are long gone for me now. Not sure why GS is so diligent about penny guides. I understand BB pulling them if they are going to sell them on Ebay and make some cash, but GS just throws them out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Like I said above, I really wish that Cheapy had spent the $$$ on adding some sort of coding that makes cut/pasting impossible from the OP's of every main thread, so that way at least it won't be so easy for people to just take all of the info and paste it somewhere else.

Even better idea is find a way to make a 'stolen from CAG' border appear around the info that's pasted once it's pasted, sort of like one of those old silver rental stickers that leave 'void void void' on the disc/cart when you remove them.[/QUOTE]

There is no amount of coding that can prevent someone from copying the information.

None.

[quote name='confoosious']There is no amount of coding that can prevent someone from copying the information.

None.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this applies but when I'm at work I'm not able to copy the UPC symbols from UPCdatabase.com and paste them onto a blank word page, after I paste them the numbers all come up as zero's...

maybe I'm just challenged

[quote name='confoosious']There is no amount of coding that can prevent someone from copying the information.

None.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I've been on sites that prohibited right click and click and drag copying, but I agree that no one can stop someone from just sitting there and typing out the info word for word.

Of course, most of the lurking jackoffs who copy/paste stuff are usually too fuckin' lazy to type everything all out and I admit myself to being lazy when updating and doing the typical cut/paste routine.

Hell. This past GS drop I waited until Shrike posted an alphabetized list to update it, since I didn't feel like going through and putting them in alphabetic order myself.

True. But like the lurkers who steal deals to post on SD/FW, I tend to wait till we have an alphabetized list rather than going into another program to do it.

Besides which, by the time I get on in the afternoon of a drop to update everything, there's already a list that's been made and alphabetized.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Now that the cat is out of the bag it's almost guaranteed that Best Buy will be cracking down on penny guides, too. Jerks.[/QUOTE]

What the hell? Why was the cat in the bag in the first place?
And how the fuck did it get out?
Did you not secure the bag tightly enough?
Does Best Buy even sell cats?

Just went out to get the mail and there was a box from Best Buy. My shipment of penny guides arrived. Opened it up (only bought 5, no doubles) and instead of Fallout 3, I got Fallout 3 GOTY. Sweeeet! I'd buy that for a nickel! I am missing one guide, but I think I'll let it slide.

EDIT: In the context of this thread, I would just like to report that I received my shipment of pennied guides I ordered from the web site. Hopefully those that also ordered from the web site will also receive theirs via UPS soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today was the first time I had any problems. I found EA Sports Active,Fallout 3 (softcover),Gears of War 2 ,Ghostbusters(was beat up prretty bad), and Metroid Prime Trilogy had a couple movies too that were on sale. Went to pay and of course there's one cashier with a long line and two people at the register with her (possibly trainees). They finally open the adjacent register the girls calls me over. At this point the line died down she scans the guides a few times in disbelieve the two trainees in awe behind her. She has the ohter cashier check and the calls the media manger. An employee shows up not the media manager and looks at the guides the goes to find the media manager.She comes back and says they let me have the guides for 1cent but pulled all the rest from the shelf. Also stopped by 2 gamestops today but found nothing at either.

[quote name='carlcarlson']yessir, that's me. And here's my reply in that thread:

Thank you sir. It looks like there are some available, so I guess I'm taking a trip.[/QUOTE]

it's d-bags like you that make my input only via PMs to the users i'm tight with, we have a group that keeps deals on the down low cuz once they hit the huge sites like SD and FW the deal is gone within minutes whereas if we keep it a secret then it sometimes can last a week or two! And i just don't get why post deals from this site somewhere else, cuz u want to make friend on the web cuz u got none in real life, seariously? If i was a mod i'd ban you even though it's a waste of time cuz u can just sign up for a new account and keep stealing!

[quote name='confoosious']If he's doing it out of sheer goodness then he's doing it all wrong.

He should be charging 1 penny for the guide and 4.99 for shipping.[/QUOTE]

EBay will pull a listing like that. I had some horrible PS2 games I wanted to sell. I listed them for $0.01 plus $5.00 shipping (this was before the $4.00 shipping limit on games). EBay pulled the listings for excessive shipping. The same thing will happen here even though $4.99 shipping for a guide on EBay isn't excessive especially if it is being sent Priority.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Just went out to get the mail and there was a box from Best Buy. My shipment of penny guides arrived. Opened it up (only bought 5, no doubles) and instead of Fallout 3, I got Fallout 3 GOTY. Sweeeet! I'd buy that for a nickel! I am missing one guide, but I think I'll let it slide.

EDIT: In the context of this thread, I would just like to report that I received my shipment of pennied guides I ordered from the web site. Hopefully those that also ordered from the web site will also receive theirs via UPS soon.[/QUOTE]

Got mine today too...best part is that they are all in mint condition, not the usual beat-to-hell-off-the-shelf ones you find in the store.

I picked up another FO3 Broken Steel/Point Lookout guide to replace the one that was stolen last week. I remembered that the GS where I got the first one had a second copy but I didn't think it would still be there. I went in looking for a sealed copy of Chaos Wars and found the guide with a .01 price tag.

[quote name='ballbarfer']it's d-bags like you that make my input only via PMs to the users i'm tight with, we have a group that keeps deals on the down low cuz once they hit the huge sites like SD and FW the deal is gone within minutes whereas if we keep it a secret then it sometimes can last a week or two! And i just don't get why post deals from this site somewhere else, cuz u want to make friend on the web cuz u got none in real life, seariously? If i was a mod i'd ban you even though it's a waste of time cuz u can just sign up for a new account and keep stealing![/QUOTE]

thats the spirit! lets all keep deals a secret! I mean why even bother having a forum to post deals on when we could all just share deals between friends right?

Keeping it on a moderately-sized forum such as CAG leaves a better chance that these deals will continue to slip under the radar of these companies. I think it's a pretty valid concern, actually.

[quote name='carlcarlson']yessir, that's me. . .
Everyone on DP knows and enjoys CAG, deals get posted over there all the time that originated here (heck, we even created a subforum for it). . .

I wouldn't have posted any info if I'd known about your posting info sourced from CAG elsewhere.

I'd never heard of Digital Press. It looks like a good site, although it's kind of schizo that a site that seems to be built around retro gaming has a whole forum section devoted to modern gaming. There is also no registration requirement to view the info posted there, unlike CAG.

DP users with more than a passing interest in modern gaming discounts should join CAG. If someone wants to let the DP community know about something like the latest drop, they can post something to the effect of "A new round of recent game guide drops was just posted on CAG. If you're interested, click here to sign up for CAG - it's a great community that complements the focus of DP."

Another reason I'm sorry I "helped" is that while I assumed from your post that you were looking for this one guide only, your DP posts show you are getting multiples of various guides. I've no problem with helping people finding a particular guide to add to their collection, but not if you're running around picking up multiples with no explanation.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Like I said above, I really wish that Cheapy had spent the $$$ on adding some sort of coding that makes cut/pasting impossible from the OP's of every main thread, so that way at least it won't be so easy for people to just take all of the info and paste it somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

I get nearly all my drop info from reading the threads of interest. While it would inconvenience me a little, I have no problem with eliminating the lists from the OP/first page if that helps keep info within the community.

[quote name='gordojones88']What the hell? Why was the cat in the bag in the first place?
And how the fuck did it get out?
Did you not secure the bag tightly enough?
Does Best Buy even sell cats?[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Tony Clifton. :lol:

One thing that confuses me about some of your posts is you act like anyone that's not a CAGer is just out to scalp these guides and flip them. DP is a community of gaming enthusiasts (yeah, nerdy). CAG is a community of people looking for cheap prices on video game stuff. Now which group do you think has a higher percentage of scalpers? Yeah there are some over on DP, but I bet there are far more here. Just saying. DP isn't SlickDeals.

A much more valid concern that some of you have raised is that more hunters means worse odds for you. That's true. But consider these facts: my thread at DP has 985 views. This thread has 158,848. I have posted three drops in that thread since I started it in April. And I never posted the info on the day of the drop, I always waited a day or two.

Either way, I've removed the drop info from DP. From now on if I feel like a drop needs to be shared I will post something to the effect of "Big drop, check CAG!". Sound good?

I apologized in my other post, but here it is again, this time aimed at the people who actually gather this info from BB. I thought I was sharing with another community of gamers, not stealing info so some other people could make a quick buck. I guess a lot of you don't see it that way though, so I apologize. I didn't mean to leech off of your generosity.

And I think I'm done explaining/defending myself in this thread. I've already apologized and, I feel, corrected the problem. If anyone still feels the need to bitch then there's nothing I can say to change their mind.

[quote name='gantt']Another reason I'm sorry I "helped" is that while I assumed from your post that you were looking for this one guide only, your DP posts show you are getting multiples of various guides. I've no problem with helping people finding a particular guide to add to their collection, but not if you're running around picking up multiples with no explanation.[/QUOTE]

I do grab two guides for a title if I think it will be good trade bait. The BBs around here are pretty hit or miss and I've needed to trade for a number of guides I've wanted. If you look at my trade list you'll see it's pretty short (around 20 guides). You won't catch me grabbing every guide on the list, and I rarely get duplicates on the first trip. The exception would be hardcover LEs.. those are just too pretty, and I have purchased multiples of those on one visit. I also admit to being overly enthusiastic when I first discovered penny guides, which is why I have 8 copies of the Gears of War guide for PC.

Ok, now I'm done explaining/defending.

If you guys are so worried about SD/FW and lurkers stealing guide drop deals, why doesn't someone create a usergroup here where guide drops will stay until at least a day after they drop? That'd solve every single problem imaginable.

I also don't understand why you guys are attacking DP. It is not a community in the same ilk as SD or FW. They aren't out to steal your deals and hoard. In fact, they've been posting guide drops for close to a year now. If you're only noticing it now, they obviously aren't making any kind of serious dent in our finds.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Hell. This past GS drop I waited until Shrike posted an alphabetized list to update it, since I didn't feel like going through and putting them in alphabetic order myself.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just wait a day or two before updating the main post? That would throw off the cut and pasters and would force them to dig through the thread. It would also hurt the lurkers who don't have a screen name on CAG because they can only look at X number of pages per day.

Also: If it wasn't mentioned yet, GTA: Chinatown Wars has unpennied. Don't try to buy it, lest you want to look stupid like me.

Quick question, how were some CAGers able to order the .01 guides on Bestbuy.com? I tried searching but found none of them....any help? Did they pull them off the site or something?

[quote name='Doomstink']
I also don't understand why you guys are attacking DP. It is not a community in the same ilk as SD or FW. They aren't out to steal your deals and hoard. In fact, they've been posting guide drops for close to a year now. If you're only noticing it now, they obviously aren't making any kind of serious dent in our finds.
[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard of DP and yes from what it appears it sounds small. But either way, people should sign up on CAG to get that information. Do note CAGers in the past (maybe even some currently) have posted deals to SD and FW. Those two sites kill deals. This is why I jumped to conclusions.

[quote name='Doomstink']
Also: If it wasn't mentioned yet, GTA: Chinatown Wars has unpennied. Don't try to buy it, lest you want to look stupid like me.[/QUOTE]
I saw those and looked at the cover to find and believe someone else posted that the GTA:CW is a PSP version so it is new. The pennied version is for DS.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Quick question, how were some CAGers able to order the .01 guides on Bestbuy.com? I tried searching but found none of them....any help? Did they pull them off the site or something?[/QUOTE]
They were a penny online for the first day of the drop. Not all of them were a penny and older drop guides that were gone before were showing up full retail. Some posters indicated that that has happened before albeit rarely.

Hey guys, I'm pretty new at this. So how do you guys usually find out about these penny deals? I checked the wiki linked in the first post, but seems to be down or something.

Is it too late for the BB penny guide deals? Are these online or B&M deals?

Thanks.

[quote name='Doomstink']Also: If it wasn't mentioned yet, GTA: Chinatown Wars has unpennied. Don't try to buy it, lest you want to look stupid like me.[/QUOTE]

No it didn't, they just released a version covering the PSP version of the game. Tricked me too, haha.:bomb:

[quote name='Zmonkay']No it didn't, they just released a version covering the PSP version of the game. Tricked me too, haha.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

I thought for sure they'd take some time to at least make the guide look a tiny bit different. Totally threw me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back