Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Confoosious, dude you spend way to much time hating on these folks. You can either ignore their questions or answer them. jumping up and down in frustration and pointing at them just seems so pointless. We can't all be leet.

[quote name='stoned99']Confoosious, dude you spend way to much time hating on these folks. You can either ignore their questions or answer them. jumping up and down in frustration and pointing at them just seems so pointless. We can't all be leet.[/QUOTE]

while you're right (i've mostly ignored the kmart thread because it was lousy with morons), this thread needs to be dumbass free because you can't ignore it. Any time there's a drop, you have to read it right away or you miss out.

I completely whiffed on the recent GS drop because i was slow.

edit: wait, why are we bothering to discuss this? I thought the thread was gonna be brought down soon anyway. Is that why IATTCG is planning a new thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='stoned99']Confoosious, dude you spend way to much time hating on these folks. You can either ignore their questions or answer them. jumping up and down in frustration and pointing at them just seems so pointless. We can't all be leet.[/QUOTE]

That's not the point though. Those people really do need to read the first post. If the guy who posted the story yesterday realized that penny guides aren't guaranteed, it could have saved this thread going to crap for a couple days. All of the extraneous posts by people who aren't reading the rules are the ones who clutter up the thread, not Confoosious. He's just making good points, even if he's making them in a way that bothers you.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']That's not the point though. Those people really do need to read the first post. If the guy who posted the story yesterday realized that penny guides aren't guaranteed, it could have saved this thread going to crap for a couple days. All of the extraneous posts by people who aren't reading the rules are the ones who clutter up the thread, not Confoosious. He's just making good points, even if he's making them in a way that bothers you.[/QUOTE]
My point is, a mod is the only one who can deal with these posters. IATCG has been doing this long enough to know that no matter what he puts in the OP or title, this problem will remain. Our buddy zergtillian received direct responses to his posts and showed an inability to comprehend what a pennied guide was or how the system worked. He was also told to read the first and second posts. I tried to look up some of his posts for examples, but he was dealt with the only way he could have been.

[quote name='confoosious']while you're right (i've mostly ignored the kmart thread because it was lousy with morons), this thread needs to be dumbass free because you can't ignore it. Any time there's a drop, you have to read it right away or you miss out.

I completely whiffed on the recent GS drop because i was slow.

edit: wait, why are we bothering to discuss this? I thought the thread was gonna be brought down soon anyway. Is that why IATTCG is planning a new thread?[/QUOTE]

We're discussing it because thats the nature of a community, we all have different opinions, abilities, patience, etc. I think taking a second to answer someone's question is just more polite than flaming them because they failed to read / understand the FAQ. I don't advocate trolling and personal attacks, but honestly too many ppl in too many threads get pissed over and over again because someone asks a question already answered somewhere else. I find by subscribing to the verbose threads I'm typically up to date, and it's easy to ignore ppl like me lecturing from my soap box.

Sorry to everyone irritated by my comments, but honestly it's just easier to ignore than rant.

you're missing the fact that my "why are we bothering" comment to be tongue in cheek. the dude yesterday, after getting banned, threatened to call Gamestop corporate and get this thread declared illegal and removed.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']My point is, a mod is the only one who can deal with these posters. IATCG has been doing this long enough to know that no matter what he puts in the OP or title, this problem will remain. Our buddy zergtillian received direct responses to his posts and showed an inability to comprehend what a pennied guide was or how the system worked. He was also told to read the first and second posts. I tried to look up some of his posts for examples, but he was dealt with the only way he could have been.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah. Totally agree with you there. I was referring to all people who aren't consulting the first 2 posts. Zertgillian is an extreme example.

Does anyone know if the normal mass effect 2,left 4 dead 2, splinter cell conviction, final fantasy 13 normal or collectors, or medal of honor normal or collectors has hit a lower price at gamestop? ie $1 I did read the op and posted here because the discussion thread is dead.

You know what? The more I think about it the more I don't think zergtilloan should have been banned. He was just clueless, not a malicious troll. In fact the person who accused him of trolling is more of a troll than he ever was.

Maybe the mods should give him a warnjng and let him back in. I'm serious.

[quote name='sharingan501']Does anyone know if the normal mass effect 2,left 4 dead 2, splinter cell conviction, final fantasy 13 normal or collectors, or medal of honor normal or collectors has hit a lower price at gamestop? ie $1 I did read the op and posted here because the discussion thread is dead.[/QUOTE]

I don't think any of these have dropped at GameStop. If they aren't in the list, then they probably haven't dropped.

Did you check your BB's? I know I got a L4D2 and Splinter Cell Conviction there, but those dropped some months ago now.

Pretty sure that the most recent MoH guides CE or other haven't dropped anywhere yet.

[quote name='confoosious']You know what? The more I think about it the more I don't think zergtilloan should have been banned. He was just clueless, not a malicious troll. In fact the person who accused him of trolling is more of a troll than he ever was.

Maybe the mods should give him a warnjng and let him back in. I'm serious.[/QUOTE]
This was my impression from the start. I tried to communicate, but failed.

[quote name='OregonDealz']I don't think any of these have dropped at GameStop. If they aren't in the list, then they probably haven't dropped.

Did you check your BB's? I know I got a L4D2 and Splinter Cell Conviction there, but those dropped some months ago now.

Pretty sure that the most recent MoH guides CE or other haven't dropped anywhere yet.[/QUOTE]

Do you know where bestbuy keeps guides because I have never really seen any for any games there but I feel like game guides are put somewhere in the store. :drool:

[quote name='sharingan501']Do you know where bestbuy keeps guides because I have never really seen any for any games there but I feel like game guides are put somewhere in the store. :drool:[/QUOTE]

It really varies by store, I mean really. Some stores have them right above the games. While others have them on a shelf by the games. One store in my area has them next to clearance stuff and cd/dvd accessories on a rack.

Just gotta go around the whole store until you find them... LOL... sorry that isn't much help.

[quote name='sharingan501']Do you know where bestbuy keeps guides because I have never really seen any for any games there but I feel like game guides are put somewhere in the store. :drool:[/QUOTE]

They are definitely there somewhere. Different stores have different layouts and, therefore, different planograms. Your best bet is just to ask a blue shirt in the video game/media area.

[quote name='sharingan501']Thanks guys I wish they could be like gamestop and target because in NY they all have the SAME layout[/QUOTE]

You know GS has 50% off all guides, plus 10% if you're a powerup pro member, right?? Might be better to go there unless yoou have BB GC's/credit.

[quote name='sharingan501']Thanks guys I wish they could be like gamestop and target because in NY they all have the SAME layout[/QUOTE]

That may be true, but BB changed the layout in NY stores half a dozen times in the last year. It's a fucking nightmare to find what you actually want.

[quote name='dragonjud']That may be true, but BB changed the layout in NY stores half a dozen times in the last year. It's a fucking nightmare to find what you actually want.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it they changed the layout a couple weeks ago.:bomb:

I'm going to brave the busiest shopping area in town in search for Lunar guides at 60% off... $6 for an RPG guide is more than acceptable to me.

[quote name='Japakneez']Starcraft II Strategy Guide is listed at a regular price of $14.99 on Gamestops site. I'm hoping this is accurate for in-store price as well. Could be a $7.50 guide when stacked with their current 50% off sale.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74530[/QUOTE]

I wish you had posted that before I left...

Saw a Starcraft II guide, and picked up 2 Lunar guides for $14.xx after Power Up card.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Gee, I just bought some half price guides at Bestbuy because it was posted in this thread. I guess my opinions rely too heavily on my personal experience.[/QUOTE]

And yet 95+% of this thread is still about penny guides. I, too, have picked up a guide or two over the years that was simply on sale. Doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming majority of the discussion is penny guides (and dumpster diving, and arguing with managers, and "read the first post!", and....) ;)

I only visited one nearby store today, but they were well aware of the 50% off sale. Grabbed two guides. Painless transaction. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='elessar123']I wish you had posted that before I left...

Saw a Starcraft II guide, and picked up 2 Lunar guides for $14.xx after Power Up card.[/QUOTE]

Balancing will change things but this guide is still totally worth it. Very nice :D

picked up GOW collection and marvel ultimate alliance 2 for a penny from a local GS today. Guy looked at them and said, yea, ok 2 cents then. Paid and left smilin' as i actually wanted these for my use.

A big reason the title was changed from ".01" to "reduced", in addition to standard discounted guides, was to throw lurkers off the scent. Changing back to ".01" wouldn't help anybody and would only potentially hinder the ability to find .01 guides when they do become available.

[quote name='Zippon']"Other" sales account for what? 1-3% of the posts here? This thread is about penny guides. Anything else is ancillary.

Yeah, IATCG "this" again. I'm simply suggesting a better way to do what you and confoosious are talking about. You're right in that nobody reads the OP. But they all read the thread title. If it was something like "Game Guide Pricing Glitches: YMMV", it would put more readers in the mindset of, "Hmm, a glitch? I'd better read how to take advantage of this." As it is, they go, "Sale? Cool, I'll go DEMAND this price and eff any manager that argues with me!" :dunce:

Just look at the other threads where CAGs jump through ridiculous hoops (register at this one deal site, transfer points to this other site, call this number and ask for a conversion, blah, blah, blah) just to save a few dollars. The will is there. If they viewed guides the same way, they might use their heads more.[/QUOTE]
Use their heads more? :rofl::rofl::rofl: Seriously? Many people who view these threads wanna be spoonfed info and told what to do. They don't wanna have to READ how to get in on these deals.

So you'll have 70-80% of the thread ending up being questions that were answered in both the OP and by other people tons of times because the lazy fucks don't wanna have to work for a deal.

As for the complex deals like registering on a site, transferring points and so on, see the EA site glitch that got many of us 7+ games for $12 shipped over a year ago by having coupon codes that double and triple stacked.

Now that deal involved really working for it and not just hoping someone would explain everything out in detail for you.

Unbelievably I found a GS that still lets the penny guides go. Picked up
Vanquish
GOW Ghost of Sparta
Starcraft 2 LE

Been a long time since I cleared any guides from GS. thanks!

Got my Borderlands GOTY edition guide in the mail today. AMAZING!!! I will spend hours reading this! Really nice guide overall. Well worth the $15. The art is a really cool add-on that just makes the entire thing perfect. Definitely my biggest guide, but it only beats Reach by a little. I'd recommend picking this up if you can. $13.49 ffrom GS with the sale and Powerup Rewards is a complete steal!!! Grab it if you can as I've heard tales that this may actually be limited.

[quote name='hellmutt']Unbelievably I found a GS that still lets the penny guides go. Picked up
Vanquish
GOW Ghost of Sparta
Starcraft 2 LE

Been a long time since I cleared any guides from GS. thanks![/QUOTE]

Do you live in NY

Grabbed a few guides for myself at GS today - Borderlands GOTY, Epic Mickey CE, Assassin's Creed 2.5 CE, and Fable 3 CE.
AC 2.5 might be easy to grab later at a BB whenever they penny since they seem to be abundant, but 55% off works for me.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Grabbed a few guides for myself at GS today - Borderlands GOTY, Epic Mickey CE, Assassin's Creed 2.5 CE, and Fable 3 CE.
AC 2.5 might be easy to grab later at a BB whenever they penny since they seem to be abundant, but 55% off works for me.[/QUOTE]

Make sure they don't charge you more later;):lol:

Nice pickups, though. The Borderlands guide is sweet, right?

Made my first ever trip to GS today and picked up the last copy of Borderlands GOTY for $14.99.

There was a pile of Halo 3 ODST guides that I had called another local store about a few weeks ago when they were 2.99. Today, they rang up as $24.xx - 50%, so $12.xx.

Got the runaround on that guide when it was 2.99 a few weeks ago (not that I need it, I don't even have the game anymore)...online it said check local store for stock.... it said it was in stock at my location....I called and the answer I received was we don't carry guides, buy online. Eh, w/e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back