Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
First guides ever all for free
Picked up
2 Mini Ninjas
Left 4 Dead 1 still wrapped :) and 1 a little banged up
Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars
Fallout 3 The Pitt
2 Spore
Ghostbusters
TMNT Smash Up
2 Star Wars Force Unleashed
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

Was in trading some games and saw a huge stack of guides and said whats up with those and the dude said they are going in the trash. Then he said how many do you want and I dug thru and grabbed a selection and left some for the next guy or the dumpster I guess. Next time I'll take all of them . I was too shocked to think straight this time.

[quote name='freeorelse'] Then he said how many do you want and I dug thru and grabbed a selection and left some for the next guy or the dumpster I guess.[/QUOTE]

I love it when they say that. Hasn't happened in a long time, but it's nice when it happens.

I just wandered into a GS and saw the trash just there. I saw the guides, ask, and was given them. I didn't even know about the drops.

Got
Style Savvy
Left 4 Dead
TMNT Smash Up
Mini Ninjas
Street Fighter 4

I have no use for Style Savvy, SF4, Left 4 Dead, but could use Nostalgia. If anyone is interested, hit me up.

i scored some free guides as well. i saw a box of guides and misc. paper trash in a box near the front door. i asked the GS employees and they said to go ahead and take them.

i picked up the following:
mini ninjas
prototype (sealed)
left 4 dead (sealed)
cheats & codes: spring 2009
cheats & codes: fall 2009
cheats & codes: summer 2009

saw, but didn't pick up:
MK vs DC Universe
Sims 3
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
TMNT Smash Up
Spore
Style Savvy

does anyone know how long after guides penny does GS toss them? i am hoping to get some more penny guides tomorrow.

Within a couple of miles of each other:
One store had nothing.
One store had the penny guides marked and separated from the others to make them stand out. (nothing good)
One store had a big stack of guides behind the counter. I asked if those were being trashed. Yeah, but did I want a specific one? SW:TFU, I answer. Guy checks with his manager in the back room, and I can clearly hear, "No way! Toss 'em!" Ah, well.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']We are also expecting a best buy drop in early February correct?[/QUOTE]

No. Don't "expect" anything and you won't be disappointed when you don't get it.

[quote name='neocisco']No. Don't "expect" anything and you won't be disappointed when you don't get it.[/QUOTE]

QFT: Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, and none of us (except a few S&M types) are disappointed when we don't get it.

[quote name='neocisco']No. Don't "expect" anything and you won't be disappointed when you don't get it.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

And yet....if we don't watch like a hawk at that time and go out the morning of the drop, we'll have to listen to posts like, "You snooze, you lose," and "You have to move fast on these or it's your fault."

This thread is ALL ABOUT expectation.

OK. Apparently, I should've checked this thread before heading out to Target last night to return the 2 clearance games I bought on Thursday from a further away store, since a few of the GS stores I hit up still had some of these on the shelves last night.:cry:

But my feet were still killing me from my 10 mile trek to that Target store last night, so I didn't feel like traipsing downstairs to get on the computer.:cry:

EDIT: After having reviewed the new drops and some of the older ones, one of my local GS stores still has the Champions Online guide(beat up condition) sitting on their shelves in front of the registers and another one or two still had TMNT Smash Up and others still sitting out.

Of course, all of the WOW:WOTLK Atlas books went and disappeared, which is the only drop I'd actually WANT.:roll:

SCORED.

Went to a GameStop today, and managed to snag a Star Wars: The Force Unleashed guide. I just asked the guy working (Who is always working when I go in there) if he had any copies of the guide in the back, as I couldn't find any in the store. He walked over to the other side of the counter, moved a pile of junk and there was a HUGE pile of guides.

He grabs a Star Wars one and said "Merry Christmas." He assumed my shocked face was because he was giving it to me and not because there were any left, and told me they were pulled from the system earlier in the week. I just nodded and left. I got pretty lucky his partner wasn't working though, as he can be a real dick.

[quote name='neocisco']You missed the point but judgiing by your response a more detailed explanation wouldn't help.[/QUOTE]

Well, you certainly told me! :applause:
"Judging by your response" really doesn't work well as a cop-out when the response in question is articulate and detailed (as mine was).

Anyway,
SCORE!

I had such poor luck yesterday (as always when it comes to penny guides) that I wasn't going to try again. Had a couple of hours to kill, though, so planned to hit several stores today. Paydirt on the second one!
SW: TFU
Killzone 2 (after finding the game for $16 at Sam's!!)
Ghostbusters
SFIV
Mini Ninjas
Fallout: Pitt and Anchorage

Most were beat-up, but I didn't care. And they only had extra copies of SW:TFU, so I totally lucked out. :D

[quote name='Zippon']Well, you certainly told me! :applause:
"Judging by your response" really doesn't work well as a cop-out when the response in question is articulate and detailed (as mine was).

[/QUOTE]

Articulate and detailed =/= on point. Your response to neo had absolutely nothing to do with the point he was making, so neo was correct in his "judgment" of your response.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Articulate and detailed =/= on point. Your response to neo had absolutely nothing to do with the point he was making, so neo was correct in his "judgment" of your response.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the point was that his critical/condescending comment wasn't appropriate.

This thread is all about "when" price drops happen. You have a day, maybe half a day, in most areas to catch something. So if someone asks, "We are also expecting a best buy drop in early February correct?" it is completely on-topic.

For neo to turn that into a "don't ask when because then you are getting your hopes up" situation seemed completely uncalled for. Unless arsenalcrazy has a history of complaining about not finding stuff. (And if that was the case, that's a one-sentence explanation rather than--nose in the air--it's obvious from your reply you wouldn't understand...)

Give me a break.

I happened to be in White Plains NY toady and at the Galleri Mlal I scored
Style Savvy
Mini Ninjas
Overload 2
TMNT: Smash up
They had one or 2 of each still on the floor this afternoon

Yeah, was able to grab
TMNT Smash Up
SW Force Unleashed

I happened to be at a GS in an outlet mall that had a DA:O CE on the floor as well as the 2 I mentioned. The lady totally shot me down saying they are "out of the system" and she can't sell them, plus, they are donating it to Texas Children's Hospital. Fine, I'm all for that, but then I pointed out the blood-soaked sword on the DA:O guide trying to get her to think, why on earth would that be good for sick kids? Anyways..she told me to come back and ask her manager, I waited and went back, guy shot me down before I even got to the counter, like she told him I was coming!

but got the two guides at my neighborhood friendly GS, so the day wasn't a total loss.

I know we'll have our day at BB for that DA:O guide, but I just can't wait.. :D

[quote name='Zippon']For neo to turn that into a "don't ask when because then you are getting your hopes up" situation seemed completely uncalled for. Unless arsenalcrazy has a history of complaining about not finding stuff. (And if that was the case, that's a one-sentence explanation rather than--nose in the air--it's obvious from your reply you wouldn't understand...)

Give me a break.[/QUOTE]

My original comment wasn't a condemnation of his asking, just some practical advice to avoid potential disappointment and frustration. I have no problem at all with arsenalcrazy or his post. You misinterpreted it, plain and simple. There, I gave you another explanation so consider your break given.

[quote name='neocisco']My original comment wasn't a condemnation of his asking, just some practical advice to avoid potential disappointment and frustration. I have no problem at all with arsenalcrazy or his post. You misinterpreted it, plain and simple. There, I gave you another explanation so consider your break given.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I already tried with him. I don't think he understands.

I stopped in a further off GS today(one that just opened months ago) and I found copies of TMNT Smash Up, Style Savvy, Banjo & Kazooie: N&B and a couple others on their rotating rack.

The clerk behind the counter scanned them(after me saying they're 'on clearance')and was like 'I don't think I can sell them'.

So he called another store:bomb:, who told him originally to mark them up to full cover price, then told him he couldn't sell them and had to rip off the front cover AND the barcodes from the back cover.

I told him to just forget it at that point, since I'd take them in normal shape, but I've been stuck with some mutilated RPG guides for a while now due to an employee 'following orders'.

Such a fuckin' waste.

He also told me that the mall store down the road had Dragon Age CE in the back room, but they were the ones he called, so it would've been a no go there too.

[quote name='shoe478']Has anyone checked Best Buy yet?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)[/QUOTE]

Sadly I've been checking the website from time to time over the past 12 hours. (couldn't sleep)

I'll check several guides at the store that are no longer on the site when I drop by today.

I'm really hoping we get a solid drop today. I struck out at Gamestop for their most recent drop. Was really hoping to get one of those Dragon Age CE's.

Come on Best Buy! Dont let us down!

EDIT: I wont be able to check until after work today. Is anyone able to check on guides during lunch?

i know prolly not the spot but i still have a HUGE amount of rpg guides and some others from the old bestbuy/gamestop drops in october. im really looking to trade for the rpg guides from gamestops drop. if anyone has them please shoot me offers.
really really want these ones:
phantasy star 0
nostalgia
star ocean last hope
dragon age ce

I'm hoping the lack of updates is due to people sweeping their stores clean so they dont have time to post :)

[quote name='Dahk']I'm hoping the lack of updates is due to people sweeping their stores clean so they dont have time to post :)[/QUOTE]

don't joke like that! I leave for lunch in 10 mins and can either make a Target or BB run, not both!! curse not having a phone smart enough to browse the web!! :roll:

gonna go w/ my gut on a Target run, will regret if there were guide drops..

[quote name='microchip2378']I scanned about a dozen different guides at Best Buy and all rang up full price. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

bummer! thanks for trying though :) gotta be happening very soon!!

This is getting very frustrating. Went to a few GS stores today and picked out some penny guides. Was told by the managers that they couldn't sell me the guides because corporate has been checking their guides and making sure they destroy them. I asked the managers if they just rip the front cover off and send that back to the manufacturer. They told me they have to rip the entire guide apart, page by page. What BS considering I read this thread and folks have been able to score guides from other GS stores. I hate being lied to (they may have to destroy the guides, but page by page?). The one manager wouldn't even give me the number to GS customer service (no, I was not going to call about the guides, but about one of the managers being rude as shite to me).

I was rejected as well over the weekend, it really comes down to your relationship with the store. Sucks but thats the reality.

I'm telling you guys, I really wish GS big-wigs read this thread. I say let us have our penny guides, but as long as we pre-order a game.
now of course, whether or not we pick up that game, remains to be seen. Nothing wrong with boosting their numbers for a pre-sell. Nothing goes against them if you don't pick up your pre-order and later cancel it. I think it only effects their "sell-thru" ratio which GS isn't that concerned about, especially at a store employee level..hell, they still will have your $5 unless they refund it

[quote name='gordojones88']Is it February yet?[/QUOTE]

Alright. This bullshit type of post is getting as annoying as 'durrrr did anything drop' used to be. STOP IT ALREADY or I'm gonna ask a mod to delete yer damn posts in this thread, since they're adding nothing except to prove that you're a tool who has contributed nothing to this thread.

Yea the GS/EBs in the PGH area have cracked down big time on the penny guides. They are all pulled the day of the drop now. I have pretty much given up on them. Guess I have to wait for the next BB drop or hopefully find someone luckier than I am in the trade forum.

[quote name='stoned99']I was rejected as well over the weekend, it really comes down to your relationship with the store. Sucks but thats the reality.[/QUOTE]

I am good friends with the former district manager who just left the company. I asked the person he suggested I speak with because he used save the penny guides for me. The guy he suggested was just a douche.

it appears that you have better luck with someone you've either bought from frequently or are friends with..time to try this out of the way GS by my work place.

thebob101- where are you in MD? I'm in the DC/NoVA/MD area with no luck at the local BBs/GSs

I've onnly found guides twice in ct and once in NY was not denied. Other then that I have hit many GS mostly in CT but never find any penny guides. At bb I always do well never been denied.

Only time I tried at GS was the day of the drop and they rang up full price. Wished I could get DAO:CE. I'm having a lot of luck at BB lately, just picked up Fossil Fighters, UFC Undisputed and CoD: WoW. I usually only pick up one or two guides each time I stop in.

[quote name='TheWooz']I've onnly found guides twice in ct and once in NY was not denied. Other then that I have hit many GS mostly in CT but never find any penny guides. At bb I always do well never been denied.[/QUOTE]

The one mall up in CT(just over NY state line along I-84) was a friggin' gold mine about 4 years ago.

They gave me a print out of guides they supposedly had in stock and I counted no less than 275 guides with .01 next to the title.:shock:

Unfortunately, after I started salivating and rummaging through one of the numerous bins they had out on the floor with guides stacked haphazardly underneath it one of the clerks came over and told me they were limiting me to TEN guides.:bomb:

I haven't been back there since, but if they still have all of those old ones in their stockroom and haven't pulled/destroyed any since then, that place could very well be the motherlode.

EDIT: It was the Danbury Fair Mall and the Gamestop/EB Games inside the mall.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The one mall up in CT(just over NY state line along I-84) was a friggin' gold mine about 4 years ago.

They gave me a print out of guides they supposedly had in stock and I counted no less than 275 guides with .01 next to the title.:shock:

Unfortunately, after I started salivating and rummaging through one of the numerous bins they had out on the floor with guides stacked haphazardly underneath it one of the clerks came over and told me they were limiting me to TEN guides.:bomb:

I haven't been back there since, but if they still have all of those old ones in their stockroom and haven't pulled/destroyed any since then, that place could very well be the motherlode.

EDIT: It was the Danbury Fair Mall and the Gamestop/EB Games inside the mall.[/QUOTE]

I had a gamestop in a mall that was similar. I handed the guy my print out and he went in the back and pulled all the guides on the list. I walked out with around 271 guides. Granted these were guides that had dropped in some cases over a YEAR ago. There were alot of good ones and alot of junk. That first major haul is what led me to be a bit more picky in what i take.

[quote name='Brian9824']I had a gamestop in a mall that was similar. I handed the guy my print out and he went in the back and pulled all the guides on the list. I walked out with around 271 guides. Granted these were guides that had dropped in some cases over a YEAR ago. There were alot of good ones and alot of junk. That first major haul is what led me to be a bit more picky in what i take.[/QUOTE]

That's what happened with me in Springfield(PA) the one time. I was on my way to Atlantic City with my then gf and I stopped at the Best Buy there. They had drops going back roughly a year or so and multiples of each.:)

Ever since then I've been a little more selective in what I grab(namely RPG/SE/CE/LE ones first).

What are these printouts? I've never asked about the penny guides, if I find any I just walk up and grab a few then pay on the way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back