Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jesse757x']Found 11..yes 11 Dragon age ce. I took 3 and left the rest for other people but tomorrow i will go back and try to get more.[/QUOTE]

that's the spirit!

by the way, i was so psyched to find a DAO guide today, I paid msrp for a game. $29.99 but still....

[quote name='Jesse757x']Found 11..yes 11 Dragon age ce. I took 3 and left the rest for other people but tomorrow i will go back and try to get more.[/QUOTE]

impressive. so thats where they all the DA:CE guides went :applause:

[quote name='knightsdwn']Picked up 3 Dragon Age CE at the Palisades Mall BB at West Nyack, NY. There should be 4 left at the time of this posting.[/QUOTE]
Damn, you're lucky. Usually every time I check that BB they always have everything pulled already.

[quote name='judgedee']Yes

nothing in sunnyvale
everything except Fo and DA in Palo Alto next to Ikea

I would go to more except I have finals today.[/QUOTE]

I have final today as well. for fellow bay area cags, the only bb that's not pulled in the east bay is the one in pleasant hill. They have 3 full shelves of guides. countless animal crossing guides and even some old drops
mk vs dc and fallout 3 (vanilla soft cover)
good luck

[quote name='shiningslade']Damn, you're lucky. Usually every time I check that BB they always have everything pulled already.[/QUOTE]

I was in the neighborhood and I decided to stop by and try my luck. I didn't get to check the other isles to see if they had the other guides from the drop so it might still be worth a trip.

Also, the Kinokuniya Japanese Bookstore on the third floor is also having a closing sale with almost everything 50% off. Got me some paper craft and Final Fantasy figures for a decent price.

Funny how life works. The drop happens, and thanks to actually being selected to serve in jury duty, I'm unable to even check 'til Friday.

Them's the breaks I s'pose.

Had my GF goto one at open and see found nothing so talked to an employee and he said they pulled everything because they were "mispriced."

I went to another one after work and found nothing also.

If anyone has an Army of Two 40th Day guide, can i buy it from you please?

No go at the other local BB around here. I may check the closer one in a bit, but I checked there the other day and they had already pre-pulled everything, INCLUDING the old drops that were still on the shelf since the last drop. :roll:

That and I want to return my $9.97 copy of Wolfenstein to Sears, since I picked up a $4.97 copy earlier today.:D

Hopefully whatever hoarder cleared out that store returned some of the games so I can also score a MUA 2 for $5 and return it the next time with my $10 receipt since I already opened it.
[quote name='anch']please update the first post :( are they really pennied, or you guys just hiding them?[/QUOTE]
:razz:

Maybe later tonight I'll update. But it's safe to say everything from the list has been verified, right?

[quote name='anch']please update the first post :( are they really pennied, or you guys just hiding them?[/QUOTE]
:razz:

Maybe later tonight I'll update. But it's safe to say everything from the list has been verified, right?

I went to 4 stores, 3 of them had pulled all the guide or been cleaned out.

I got
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky
Army of Two: The 40th Day
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Darksiders
Left 4 Dead 2
The Saboteur
Madden 10
+ the Cheat Code Books - for 1 cent why not.

I was hoping to find the WoW Atlas, GOTY Fallout & Dragon Age LE, but no luck on any of those. Still a great day for penny guides.

Also I did not hide guides, this was just a random run for me, figured I would test my luck. The store actually tagged the shelfs with 1 cent stickers.

Not a bad day: picked up:
dragon age CE x4
mario&luigi x3
darksiders x2
l4d2 x4
army of two 2 x3
dissidia final fantasy x1
no luck on saboteur or fallout 3 hardcover :(.
Definitely willing to help some CAGs with their DA:O desires.

Well, looks like my glorious days of penny guides are officially over. Talked to the guy in the department today (same guy who's helped me find em in the past), asked where all the penny guides disappeared too (used to be the manager's rule to just leave em on the shelf, often they were even tagged at a penny). He said they got a new manager that is way way waaay more strict and to the letter. All guides were pulled/destroyed as appropriate :( Ah well, it was great while it lasted.

Went to 4 stores today at 2 I got nothing and in the past did well at 1. The next 2 I always get guides this this time slim pickens. At one store I got World Of Warcraft: Wrath Of The Lich King Atlas and Codes & Cheats Winter 2010 and at the other I got 3 X World Of Warcraft: Wrath Of The Lich King Atlas. Seems like the pulled at all because I know 2 stores had all guides 2 week ago.

Went to 2 stores. First store I got:
Animal Crossing: City Folk x4
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (large rip on cover)
I think they also had the cheat books but I left those. They had several more Animal Crossing and if they are still there tomorrow, I might get them as well.

Second store had absolutely nothing. I did play Rock Band on an iPad with my mom for awhile so that was fun.

Went to 2 stores...first one cleared out. Second one, walked out with Darksiders, Kingdom Hearts, and 2 copies of Dragon Age CE (one for my friend).

I grabbed some early today, then noticed mario and luigi, saboteur, and kingdom hearts were on the list, when I got back they were all either pulled or someone else in morehead city got em

I did sick. 2 stores and got the following

Dragon Age Origins CE X10
World of Warcraft Lich King Atlas X4
Mario and Luigi Bowser Inside Story X 4
Left 4 Dead 2
Darksiders X2
Madden 2010
Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers X6
Kingdom hearts 358/2 X5

Couldnt get any animal crossing because they had no UPC but i really can't complain.

the first two i went to obviously had done a pull cuz the guide section was very organized, the last store in my area which is in BFE had most of the guides on the list but none of the LE/CE hardcovers. So i loaded a basket full and noticed they had some old copies of Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga so i took one up with the rest and sure enough it was a penny. So i went back after unloading a few bags of guides in the trunk and bought the other 5 copies of the Lego guide but not sure what i'm gonna do with all of them cuz i gave out two already and one to my son since he has the game.

[quote name='ballbarfer']the first two i went to obviously had done a pull cuz the guide section was very organized, the last store in my area which is in BFE had most of the guides on the list but none of the LE/CE hardcovers. So i loaded a basket full and noticed they had some old copies of Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga so i took one up with the rest and sure enough it was a penny. So i went back after unloading a few bags of guides in the trunk and bought the other 5 copies of the Lego guide but not sure what i'm gonna do with all of them cuz i gave out two already and one to my son since he has the game.[/QUOTE]

What the what?! You managed to find 5 copies of THAT?!

^^Yeah really, how long ago did that penny out??? Rediculous! I didn't make it out today, hopefully there will be some of "dem shitz" left tomorrow..

I like how the list was removed and is nowhere to be found in this thread. Rating this thread a 1/5 for a combination of that and also the 10+ pages of worthless commentary.

[quote name='freshzen']I like how the list was removed and is nowhere to be found in this thread. Rating this thread a 1/5 for a combination of that and also the 10+ pages of worthless commentary.[/QUOTE]

The list was never removed. Its just not posted on front page yet. It's a way to reward people who actually view and contribute to thread on a regular basis instead of slick deal losers who copy drops and post

[quote name='tarouza']I grabbed some early today, then noticed mario and luigi, saboteur, and kingdom hearts were on the list, when I got back they were all either pulled or someone else in morehead city got em[/QUOTE]

Morehead City, NC?

Sweet Christmas! Penny guides are back! How I missed them!

Penny guide pulls at BB were probably Top 3 moments every month for me (ok maybe exaggerating) Thought they were gone for good. So much that I stopped checking this thread on mondays.

Got home at 8pm today only to see there was a drop. Raced and made it to 2 of my 4 local best buys. 1 had pulled all, but the 2nd was stocked. Grabbed dem shits like it was Sept 09 :).

Pretty much found multiples of all the guides listed by everyone else. No Dragon Age CEs. Thats a bit of a letdown but my fault for not checking the thread earlier in the day. Still have two more BB to check tomorrow.

[quote name='freshzen']I like how the list was removed and is nowhere to be found in this thread. Rating this thread a 1/5 for a combination of that and also the 10+ pages of worthless commentary.[/QUOTE]

You can be like me, the "Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread" is my bookmark to get to CAG. I only found 1 Fallout 3 GOTY CE, I remember there were tons of these. Just a little tip, the one I found was in the PC Game Section.

Picked up pretty much 1 of every guide except Darksiders which I couldn't find. WoW guides which I don't want and the code guides.

I just struck out at Best Buy. I wish I had seen this thread last night, went on a Sears run this afternoon and saw probably 5 Best Buys :(

I'm going back out there tomorrow but if anyone wants to hook up a fellow cag'er I'm interested in Mario/Luigi, Fallout CE and Dragon Age CE books the most :) Hope someone can work out a reasonable offer!

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Damn. Crestwood had 10 Dragon Age CE guides. None today. fuck.
Also what are the SKu's for Dragon Age CE?

Edit Nevermind. I need something else.[/QUOTE]

Crestwood pulled all their guides on saturday. North Riverside, had them last night and they were pulled before store opening.

Checked out all of lower Manhattan. Interning in NYC + an Unlimited Metro card = Easy Access. Unfortunately every store had already done pulls. That's not to say that they got every guide. Struck out at one, Got 4x L4D2 at another plus 2x Cheat Books, 4x Bowsers Inside Story at another, and finally 2x Scribblenaughts at one plus Spore. Lot of walking plus transfers but between my lunch break and after work got them all not too badly. Extra's will be put up on my TL soon. Still totally worth it.

Cheers,
Mike

If you guys can't find them in the game guides area, you might want to check out the PC games section.

my BB store pulled all the pennied guides but, left 2x Left4Dead 2 guides with the pc games. so i snatched them up. worth a shot :D

[quote name='knightsdwn']Picked up 3 Dragon Age CE at the Palisades Mall BB at West Nyack, NY. There should be 4 left at the time of this posting.[/QUOTE]

I was there sunday actually, noticed they had quite a bit and hadn't pulled but way too unreasonable for me to make it back up today. Didn't get back from the city until 9PM. Still did not bad for the stores I hit in NYC.

[quote name='skiizim']
I only found 1 Fallout 3 GOTY CE, I remember there were tons of these. Just a little tip, the one I found was in the PC Game Section.
[/QUOTE]

Dammit dammit dammit

Looks like I may be going back tomorrow. Why oh why didn't I check the PC section?

9101857 Animal Crossing: City Folk
9696365 Darksiders
9695417 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
9510861 Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
9510889 Scribblenauts

If anyone got any of the above AND if any of them have a good dosage of art AND you are willing to trade or something, please let me know. My BB either pulled them already or someone snagged them all by the time I got there. No big loss either way but it would have been a nice snag.

[quote name='BowserK']If you guys can't find them in the game guides area, you might want to check out the PC games section.

my BB store pulled all the pennied guides but, left 2x Left4Dead 2 guides with the pc games. so i snatched them up. worth a shot :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah weirdly enough in the store that actually had guides, they were all moved to the PC section and the normal guide rack was gone. Not sure why.

Well my penny guide days are over.. Got to BB @ 5:30.. in the past I could have gone almost a week after the drop & still got them. But not today. All gone.. not a single guide in sight.

I usually use these as giveaways for my LAN parties too.

Interestingly enough the store closest to my work put back out that shitload of Halo ODST guides...again probably @ LEAST 60 of them.

[quote name='Brian9824']I did sick. 2 stores and got the following

Dragon Age Origins CE X10
World of Warcraft Lich King Atlas X4
Mario and Luigi Bowser Inside Story X 4
Left 4 Dead 2
Darksiders X2
Madden 2010
Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers X6
Kingdom hearts 358/2 X5

Couldnt get any animal crossing because they had no UPC but i really can't complain. [/QUOTE]
:drool:

Any chance that you'd part with 1x DAO CE? I don't have guides of that caliper that I can trade with but would you sell? :pray:

Just for the hell of it, I had the cashier scan the normal paperback version of FO3 GOTY just to check the pirce, & it rang up $26.99. :hot:

I was expecting maybe $19.99 @ the VERY MOST. I know it's a large strategy guide, but c'mon! :lol:

My store had at least 50 ODST guides.

But yeah I had hidden a copy of DA:O CE and I picked that up today. I am very pleased with it, despite it being only one guide. I haven't been able to get a penny guide all year, so hopefully things are finally turning around for me in this department!

[quote name='BrolyB593']My store had at least 50 ODST guides.

But yeah I had hidden a copy of DA:O CE and I picked that up today. I am very pleased with it, despite it being only one guide. I haven't been able to get a penny guide all year, so hopefully things are finally turning around for me in this department![/QUOTE]

Nice find! From what I have seen of it in person, it is one of the better collector's edition guides that I've seen.

I'm gonna stop by a BB semi out of the way on my way to work tomorrow to see if they have any. Online says they do, but who knows if that's the case or not...I'm gonna assume it's fairly accurate seeing that it shows out of the stock @ the other stores in my area in which there are none to be found after having stopped by.

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']Nice find! From what I have seen of it in person, it is one of the better collector's edition guides that I've seen.

I'm gonna stop by a BB semi out of the way on my way to work tomorrow to see if they have any. Online says they do, but who knows if that's the case or not...I'm gonna assume it's fairly accurate seeing that it shows out of the stock @ the other stores in my area in which there are none to be found after having stopped by.[/QUOTE]

Just to save you time, the only stores in our area that CAGs have not reported checking are in Wilson and beyond (minus the Fayetteville location, which Wolve11 cleared out, assuming by his location).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back