Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Richard Longfellow']This was weird: saw two World of Warcraft Burning Crusade guides in Dollar Tree today. Had Best Buy stickers on them.[/QUOTE]
:shock: Now if only they would start buying up the REST of Best Buy's penny guide stock so I can get copies of the guides for Darksiders and The Saboteur for less hassle than having to trade for them.:applause:

I decided to test out the penny guide waters today for the first time. Came up empty at my first Best Buy, but found a Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky guide at my second. Nabbed those then went to a BB 30 minutes away. Hit the jackpot there and saw just about everything from the last drop, minus Fallout 3 and Dragon Age. I ended up with:

x2 Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (one for me, one for my younger cousin who's obsessed with the game)
x1 Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky
x1 Army of Two: the 40th Day
x1 Scribblenauts
x1 Left 4 Dead 2
x1 Animal Crossing: City Folk
x1 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
x1 Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

There were some of each left - along with The Saboteur and Madden 2010 guides - if anyone wants to pick some up in the Conway, AR area.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the guy with the fantastic mullet I saw at the second BB. I don't think you tell, but there's a thin braid in the middle of all that party-in-the-back gloriousness.
x2_1b92f0f

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I thought I was going to strike out on this drop but ended up finding a couple of dragon age ce's and some of the others from this drop. I never thought I'd find any this late after the drop. Now I guess I have to hit this other store up that had about a dozen DA CE's. Wish me luck & if I get them I'll be up for trading. ;)

I tried the other local BB tonight while I was down at Sears to return the clearance cordless phone battery I picked up the other day at the other Sears by me since it's the wrong one for my phone.

I rifled through the whole shelf not expecting to find anything from the drop, when lo and behold I found a single Kingdom Hearts 358/2 that was NOT there on my last trip.

Hopefully this means there are other single guides in the back that they didn't toss out after the drop and will accidentally put back out over time.

Now I just need to find someone who scored a Darksiders guide from this drop to swap with.

Seems like my BestBuys started pulling the guides after I walked out of each one with about 20 guides for 20 cents. Basically it worked once per BBY then they started pulling them

[quote name='n00bie']I wanted to find a Fallout 3 GOTY CE guide :(

My Best Buy always pulls the guides now.[/QUOTE]

Almost no one found that. I found 20 Dragon Age CE guides but only 1 Fallout 3 GOTY CE guide, and i barely got it because it wasn't sealed and the insert with UPC was loose.

Just checked my GameStop wishlist and noticed this:

Currently Bioshock 2 Official Strategy Guide is not available for purchase and has been removed from your Wish List.

This is for the regular paperback edition; the LE is still up on the site.
Anyone else notice anything? I'll check it out at lunch today.

Confirmed...

Bioshock 2 guide pennied as well as Dead to Rights Retribution

My gamestop put them in the back to be field destroyed....BOOOOOO!!!!

Dead to Rights came out very recently didnt it? Does GS normally penny guides that fast? I guess I might as well check my local GS tonight. Never found anything there before though..so not holding my breath.

of course GS would have a drop today when I'm not going home in the direction my 'ol faithful' is..dammit!! oh well, since I haven't even opened my 2 Bioshock 2 CE's, I'm sure I can get this from Amazon one day for $6 when I need it..and Dead to Rights? mwahahaha, yeah I'll buy that game...when its $5!!

[quote name='token2k6']of course GS would have a drop today when I'm not going home in the direction my 'ol faithful' is..dammit!! oh well, since I haven't even opened my 2 Bioshock 2 CE's, I'm sure I can get this from Amazon one day for $6 when I need it..and Dead to Rights? mwahahaha, yeah I'll buy that game...when its $5!![/QUOTE]
You might wanna try GoHastings.com if you can't score at GS or BB. I might be ordering Darksiders guide from them, as well as the one for Just Cause 2.

I went to my GS and they didn't have it. Is it out of stock? Is this my mileage will vary?

Can someone send me a guide for a penny? I need Fallout 3 GOTY CE.

Second and third posts have been updated with the drops from Gamestop.

It seems weird that they'd get rid of the non LE/hardcover version of the Bioshock 2 guide while keeping the hardcover one in stock though, since it's usually the hardcover one that pennies FIRST.

Then again, virtually every GS in my area has 10-12 of the Final Fantasy XII hardcover guide while I think the softcover has been pennied out forever.

I just got a Bioshock 2 guide too. The employees had pulled them by the time I got there, but the manager handed me one for free. I'll have to hit that store each time there's a drop. :D

Well i know i'll be asking for extras to Uncharted 2 and Bioshock 2 if anyone could get any.

Oh and of course i bought all 20. I'm glad too as reports were many stores were pulling them and all the other guides i left were gone the next day.

fuck! a night like this wants to make me swear off penny guides! First, springing the solo trip on my wife at the last possible second, I got the look of death, so things weren't going my way. Get to the 1st location, same guy working that always denies me. Great. Only had Bioshock 2 (6 copies) So, I go to the other guy working, he rings it up and is like 'Whoa'. Then that d-bag steps in and manually overrides the price to $19.99. I've probably said it before, but this makes me angry b/c I KNOW they are taking me for an idiot. So this time I say, "Well it did say a penny on the screen, can you please give it to me for that or let me have it?" He just replied, "I can't." so I walked out empty handed of course..

make it to 'ol faithful, 30 mins away at this point, and find DtRR and BS2, again multiple copies. Waited for a bit, then got to a guy and acted cool. To my surprise, they both rang up at $19.99. Completely baffled as to how this happened (b/c I never seen it before, made me wonder if there is a key that could have been activated to kill this?) b/c he didn't to anything abnormal with the POS or anything. Maybe their store didn't update?? So I asked, "Didn't those penny out?" He shouts out to the on-duty manager, "Hey, are these pennied out?" Everyone, and I mean everyone, suddenly stopped in their tracks looked up and were like "HUH?" So that guy was just as dumbfounded and said, "well, no if they didn't ring up for penny." So I walked out of there too, grrrrrrrr

I picked up a Bioshock 2 and Uncharted 2 guide.

FYI to SF Bay Area CAGs: San Carlos GS doesn't give out penny guides. I asked about Bioshock 2 there. They looked it up, saw that it pennied out and told me to try B&N or Borders :headache: This is while sitting on their counter was a stack of Bioshock 2s and Dead to Rights Retribution that they obviously had pulled earlier today.

[quote name='confoosious']
Can someone send me a guide for a penny? I need Fallout 3 GOTY CE.[/QUOTE]

Always love your humor! ;)
So are you gonna send me the penny by paypal or in the mail before I send you the fallout guide?

[quote name='downsouthtigger']Always love your humor! ;)
So are you gonna send me the penny by paypal or in the mail before I send you the fallout guide?[/QUOTE]

Are you old enough to remember the Columbia House / RCA tape/record/cd clubs where they advertised by giving you a penny taped to a postcard?

[quote name='confoosious']Are you old enough to remember the Columbia House / RCA tape/record/cd clubs where they advertised by giving you a penny taped to a postcard?[/QUOTE]

Oh god, you brought up some old school! I remember in magazines they had pages you could rip off to tape the penny on. I only remember VHS and Cd's though, not cassette tapes or records.

[quote name='downsouthtigger']Oh god, you brought up some old school! I remember in magazines they had pages you could rip off to tape the penny on. I only remember VHS and Cd's though, not cassette tapes or records.[/QUOTE]

yep. and sometimes they'd send you that same postcard but with a penny rubber cemented to the spot and say "we've even paid for your first order!"

so cheesy.

And this is why I hate my phone!! All night at work I was wondering what was going on, and this is what it was, damnit all, well i will be making a run in the AM to my gamestop (I work for them part time), to grab all dem shitz, and also to see what else pennied out.

Was on a great roll: planned out my route from a friend's place and picked up 2 copies each of Bioshock 2 and Dead to Rights at 2 out of 3 Gamestop locations. Went to a couple of Best Buys too and found a KH2:358/2 Days, Bowser's Inside Story, and L4D2 at one of them also!

Then I went to 2 Gamestop locations where I asked if they had a copy of Uncharted 2 after spotting at least one behind the counter and was told flat-out that they "had no more in stock and didn't expect to have anymore anytime soon". And then got denied the $20 manufacturer's coupon for Blur at the last Best Buy I went to.

Lesson learned: stop while you're on a roll or you'll end the day disappointed....

Stopped into my new Best Buy and found the Fallout 3 guide sitting on the shelf. No hassles at all from the cashier. :)

Was the only one from the list I noticed but I'm gonna take a closer look next time I stop in. My fiancee was making fun of me since I don't even own Fallout 3. Can't pass it up for 1 cent though. :p

[quote name='kk012']I picked up a Bioshock 2 and Uncharted 2 guide.

FYI to SF Bay Area CAGs: San Carlos GS doesn't give out penny guides. I asked about Bioshock 2 there. They looked it up, saw that it pennied out and told me to try B&N or Borders :headache: This is while sitting on their counter was a stack of Bioshock 2s and Dead to Rights Retribution that they obviously had pulled earlier today.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the San Carlos GS has always pulled the penny guides since it opened a year or two ago...I just tried the one at Hillsdale Mall (they've had some of the drops) but there was nothing there. Sometimes the Redwood City GSes miss them, so I'll try those tomorrow.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']What did??? I thought these were dropping on Monday:

9101857 Animal Crossing: City Folk
9715307 Army Of Two: The 40th Day
9681679 Cheat Code Overload Winter 2010
9696392 Codes & Cheats Winter 2010
9696365 Darksiders
9539519 Dragon Age: Origins LE
9539573 Fallout 3 Game Of The Year LE
9695417 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
9539653 Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
9632208 Left 4 Dead 2
9388548 Madden NFL 10
9510861 Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
9539467 Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Sky
9667276 The Saboteur
9510889 Scribblenauts
9078384 World Of Warcraft: Wrath Of The Lich King
9432312 World Of Warcraft: Wrath Of The Lich King Atlas
[/QUOTE]
posting these again if anyone else is like me and took forever to find the post with the titles

[quote name='outtie']posting these again if anyone else is like me and took forever to find the post with the titles[/QUOTE]
Good going. But you know.....you could've just looked in the SECOND $*^#in' POST!?!?!?!?!?!?!:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Why do I even bother keeping a well maintained second post.:cry:

Don't worry about it, dabamus. Although if Estebanned ever gets off of these temp bans he keeps getting I might have a deal going with him, so I won't even need Amazon's book buyback.

I just wish DealTree would've done something like that....so I could flood them with shitty guides like a ton of Madden ones or something.:lol:

I got lucky at BB and found mario & luigis inside story and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 guides. I find it interesting that they have not been there for weeks and all of a sudden they were.

[quote name='spidey35']I got lucky at BB and found mario & luigis inside story and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 guides. I find it interesting that they have not been there for weeks and all of a sudden they were.[/QUOTE]

I saw the same thing happen at one of my local stores. A few weeks after the price drop on 2/2, suddenly the store has a lot of copies of Most of the Penny guides. I'll be checking soon to see if they do the same this time.

Went to GS checked a couple of guides, since there was a drop...

Apparently Fable 2 SC is still 9.99. Fallout GOTY SC is still full price 26.99.

While on a getaway day with the family in Chicago, I found 2 L4D2 guides in their downtown store. Wanted a Darksiders, but oh well.

[quote name='spidey35']I got lucky at BB and found mario & luigis inside story and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 guides. I find it interesting that they have not been there for weeks and all of a sudden they were.[/QUOTE]

My local Best Buy always pulls the guides when they are supposed to, but then an employee sees a giant stack of guides in the stockroom a few weeks or months later and puts them back. It's pretty weird, but it's hard to complain. I got the Kingdom Hearts Guide yesterday.

Hopefully this will help someone on the west coast. COD MW2 is now a penny and they were pulling them to send back for credit while I was there. So I missed out. But hopefully some of you will find some.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 at Best Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back