Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
DoubleFacePalm.jpg

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Halo 3 ODST guide has not pennied yet. They are 4.99 in the system (also online), but most stores have not updated the price on the shelves. Also the guide is not listed in the 2nd post.[/QUOTE]

how you say also online it is still 4.99
guides that have pennied out, will they show up as a penny or still normal price at best buy, gamestop, those sites?

I understand that it hasn't pennied out, but what I'm asking, is if I type in a game that has pennied out on their site, what is it going to show? I've tried a few already, and some won't even show up, others show up but still have the listing price of what they should be, not for a penny..

And on that note, sorry to ask this, but are these price drops nation wide? Like if I hit up my best buy, is it going to ring up a penny, or is it wherever they are for only a penny? I live on the west coast..

BB penny drop is nation wide. If it shows up with price than it is that in store. If it don't its really a toss up, doesn't hurt to try to scan a price in store though.

[quote name='nixmahn']BB penny drop is nation wide. If it shows up with price than it is that in store. If it don't its really a toss up, doesn't hurt to try to scan a price in store though.[/QUOTE]

yeah.. Thats what I'd like to do, grab one of the guides (If they have any) and see if they have one of those self scan things, if so, then thats when I'll grab all from the list that they'd have and try to buy them all

Damn, this was a pretty good BB drop . . . I've been sooo busy.

I did manage to get a Zelda Spirit Tracks CE today . . . not sure how it survived.

Can anyone help out a CAGer?

I'm looking for following:

Bioshock II
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2
God Of War Collection
God Of War III

I have mostly old guides but I do have Gears of War 2, Ratchet Crack in Time, and Borderlands for trade.

I'd also pay via paypal to cover costs plus a little . . . esp. interested in the GOW guides. Been playing them with my daughter these days.

[quote name='schultzed']Damn, this was a pretty good BB drop . . . I've been sooo busy.

I did manage to get a Zelda Spirit Tracks CE today . . . not sure how it survived.

Can anyone help out a CAGer?

I'm looking for following:

Bioshock II
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2
God Of War Collection
God Of War III

I have mostly old guides but I do have Gears of War 2, Ratchet Crack in Time, and Borderlands for trade.

I'd also pay via paypal to cover costs plus a little . . . esp. interested in the GOW guides. Been playing them with my daughter these days.[/QUOTE]

Just curious...how old is your daughter?

Well, in the short time I have played, there are parts I would not feel entirely comfortable playing with my daughter in the room no matter what her age.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Well, in the short time I have played, there are parts I would not feel entirely comfortable playing with my daughter in the room no matter what her age.[/QUOTE]

you mean like when you can get extra orbs/points/whatever by "knocking it out of the park"?

[quote name='jjmai']What's this about?[/QUOTE]
GoHastings.com has/had a sale going on where you could pick 5 used books whose initial new selling price was $29.99 or LOWER and they would mark them down to $4 each. But they charge a shipping charge PER item(since sometimes the items ship from seperate stores and not one central warehouse), which is usually about $2 a book.

Mind you, paying $6 for a single guide is still a decent deal since they were originally $19.99 or higher. There were a bunch of LE/CE/SE ones available one of the first days of the sale, but by now they're probably long gone.:cry:
[quote name='zergtillian']I understand that it hasn't pennied out, but what I'm asking, is if I type in a game that has pennied out on their site, what is it going to show? I've tried a few already, and some won't even show up, others show up but still have the listing price of what they should be, not for a penny..

And on that note, sorry to ask this, but are these price drops nation wide? Like if I hit up my best buy, is it going to ring up a penny, or is it wherever they are for only a penny? I live on the west coast..[/QUOTE]
The pennied guides usually disappear from the website long before they drop, so the chances of finding a listing for them that says $.01 is slim to nil. It has happened on prior drops, but it's not something that commonly happens.

The drops are nationwide/chainwide. The only thing that may negate the penny price is if they override the price back to MSRP, but on the BB system that's something you can easily see them do, as the penny price will clearly come up on the screen BEFORE they go in and manually override the price.

Honestly, just take a fuckin' chance and go into the store already. If you see ones on the list in the second post, then they WILL ring up as a penny. As to whether or not you'll be sold them for a penny is another story. But just tell them ahead of time that you 'found them on a clearance rack'.;)
[quote name='zergtillian']yeah.. Thats what I'd like to do, grab one of the guides (If they have any) and see if they have one of those self scan things, if so, then thats when I'll grab all from the list that they'd have and try to buy them all[/QUOTE]
Best Buy doesn't have any self scanners, at least the ones around here don't. As I said above, just take a frickin' chance already and try for some of the guides. What can you lose except a little time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']GoHastings.com has/had a sale going on where you could pick 5 used books whose initial new selling price was $29.99 or LOWER and they would mark them down to $4 each. But they charge a shipping charge PER item(since sometimes the items ship from seperate stores and not one central warehouse), which is usually about $2 a book.

Mind you, paying $6 for a single guide is still a decent deal since they were originally $19.99 or higher. There were a bunch of LE/CE/SE ones available one of the first days of the sale, but by now they're probably long gone.:cry:

The pennied guides usually disappear from the website long before they drop, so the chances of finding a listing for them that says $.01 is slim to nil. It has happened on prior drops, but it's not something that commonly happens.

The drops are nationwide/chainwide. The only thing that may negate the penny price is if they override the price back to MSRP, but on the BB system that's something you can easily see them do, as the penny price will clearly come up on the screen BEFORE they go in and manually override the price.

Honestly, just take a fuckin' chance and go into the store already. If you see ones on the list in the second post, then they WILL ring up as a penny. As to whether or not you'll be sold them for a penny is another story. But just tell them ahead of time that you 'found them on a clearance rack'.;)

Best Buy doesn't have any self scanners, at least the ones around here don't. As I said above, just take a frickin' chance already and try for some of the guides. What can you lose except a little time.[/QUOTE]

yeah thanks for the info on it. I would love to, but I have triplets, all 19 months old, I can't drive, so its up to my wife on taking us over there, which sadly enough, hasn't happened. I don't know why we haven't yet, but I want to just to get some of those damn guides =P

I'm pretty late to this penny guide stuff but I stopped by a Best Buy and came out with 4 guides with a total of 4 cents:

God of War III
Assassin's Creed 2 CE
Bioshock 2
Borderlands

Thanks for the info! Definitely gonna bookmark this thread from now on.

I tried my other local BB again today, since I know they had some leftovers from the drop still available. I found one each of the Sims guides from this recent drop which I hadn't found up until now(World Adventures and Ambitions) and as I was taking them up to the front to try and grab them I noticed that it was newbies in white shirts running the registers.:bomb:

That should've been my cue to just go put those back and walk back out without anything, but I tried for them anyway.

I tried prefacing the transaction with the usual 'they're on clearance' routine, but the newbie was having none of it. She cancelled out the first guide a couple of times, then yelled over to some manager named Lisa that 'they're ringing up a penny', to which the manager told her to override them to MSRP.:bomb:

I told them I want them for the price they rang up as and if not then no thanks and walked out.

Now I know not to go to frickin' newbies from now on at that store.

okay so all 4 BB in my area and 6 GS are cleared out from last drop =(
GS ppl said they "throw them out" but i know better... more like stuff it in their car out front! i walked out of one after the guy was like "yeah, when they go on clearance they are forced to dump em, so i wouldn't try coming back"

i'm not sure why you'd get mad at a GS employee for doing what you want to do. He at least kinda deserves to get them cause he has to work a shitty job at GS.

[quote name='confoosious']i'm not sure why you'd get mad at a GS employee for doing what you want to do. He at least kinda deserves to get them cause he has to work a shitty job at GS.[/QUOTE]

What was your comment in the mspoints.us thread?

I saw you made one, but after I got done reading up in this thread, that one was gone. :(

I found Assassin's Creed II CE and Mass Effect 2 LE, but they would not sell the AC because there was not an UPC.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy at a GS told my friend I can lose my job if I sell you this guide for a penny! My friend said I want it for the price that came up. He was pissed my friend was trying to score the guide but he walked away empty.

I just think its funny I heard people saying they will lose their job and another person at BB said they get fined $1000 for every book they sell for a penny. Funny they sold me 2 out of the 6 guides which says they paid $2000 for my 2 guides. I called B.S. and talked to my local BB and they said they will always sell them for a penny. I think its lame that depending on which BB is by you is all on the luck to sell you these guides.

[quote name='Bumslie']A guy at a GS told my friend I can lose my job if I sell you this guide for a penny![/QUOTE]

He was telling the truth.

Look people, if you don't get a penny guide, such is life. It's not lame and it's not some people trying to screw you over. You're not supposed to be able to get these for a penny. When you do, it's a stroke of good luck. Not the other way around.

I agree Copnfoosious but it seems we have had better luck with BB. I just thought it was funny they sold me 2 after telling me that. If I got a NO answer I would just go on to the next BB with no worries.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']In Champaign,Il (100 fucking miles away from me) I found Most of the last drop sitting on the shelf. All but Borderlands I got.[/QUOTE]

Did you get you get all the guides or there still some left.

That's 3 hours away from me.

its simple why they dont sell penny guides they are keeping them LOL. i had a nice funny with gamestops recent drop. walked in as they were just pulled and they are sitting their talking on whose taking which guides for their collection. i leaned over and said id like the harvest moon and the manager goes sure here ya go i know your into those rpg games. i walked out smiling.

Never mentioned it but a few drops ago I had some guides that amounted to about $.06 at BB. The cashier rang me up and a woman manager noticed the transaction and I guess was fairly pissed off. She said in a snotty voice while looking away (but not at me) "You know you can't return these right." I just laughed at her statement and even the cashier rolled her eyes. Pretty funny.

[quote name='DeathBringer']Did you get you get all the guides or there still some left.

That's 3 hours away from me.[/QUOTE]

There was still most guides left. I bought the last two ACII LE guides.

I dropped by the same BB that rejected me on the ME2 CE and AC2 CE 3 weeks ago. I saw a few penny guides on the rack, some of which weren't there before. The same manager bitch was on duty, so my heart sank. I grabbed 'em shitz (one each) along with a game and took them to checkout. The cashier scanned them and was surprised by the penny guides. I told them maybe they were on clearance because they were old (luckily they didn't have price tag on them). He said ok and didn't call the manager. So I scored!

Alan Wake
Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks CE
SFFV IV
Lego Indy 2
Prince of Persia TFS
Splinter Cell Conviction

Too bad they didn't put the ME2 CE and AC2 CE back on the shelf.

[quote name='eau']I dropped by the same BB that rejected me on the ME2 CE and AC2 CE 3 weeks ago. I saw a few penny guides on the rack, some of which weren't there before. The same manager bitch was on duty, so my heart sank. I grabbed 'em shitz (one each) along with a game and took them to checkout. The cashier scanned them and was surprised by the penny guides. I told them maybe they were on clearance because they were old (luckily they didn't have price tag on them). He said ok and didn't call the manager. So I scored!

Alan Wake
Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks CE
SFFV IV
Lego Indy 2
Prince of Persia TFS
Splinter Cell Conviction

Too bad they didn't put the ME2 CE and AC2 CE back on the shelf.[/QUOTE]

Wow! you had a nice haul today along with the games from Target!

[quote name='jimijumper']Wow! you had a nice haul today along with the games from Target![/QUOTE]
Thanks. I left out the part where I had to drive some good distance to another city in order to score those. I probably spent some good amount on gas alone :whistle2:#. Anyway I went there for other personal business. Otherwise, I wouldn't have driven like 80 miles round trip just to try my luck and to see what they had to offer.

Missed the new update from 10/25 and went around the corner to check and got one copy of Zelda Spirit Tracks LE. Everything else was gone.

Still better than nothing ;)

Nothing left I could see at Salisbury, MD location...nothing I put on my list to check anyway. My BB sucks for clearance/deals anyway, but they had nothing in the way of older guides at all. I think the oldest thing I saw was MW2.

[quote name='JKSonic']Nothing left I could see at Salisbury, MD location...nothing I put on my list to check anyway. My BB sucks for clearance/deals anyway, but they had nothing in the way of older guides at all. I think the oldest thing I saw was MW2.[/QUOTE]
You do realize that MW2 was also pennied this most recent drop at BB, right?;)

As for the further BB by me, the one copy of Spirit Tracks LE is going to be there forever since there's no shrinkwrap on it and as such no barcode.:whistle2:#

Perhaps not the right thread, but is anyone willing to trade an AC2 LE if they have an extra? I was able to grab a few guides from the last drop, PM me if interested.

Almost had my first cashier rejection today when I brought up Spirit Tracks CE, SSF IV, and Iron Man 2. The cashier said no and that they had to call a manager, but the manager OKed the sale saying it was their mistake for leaving them out.
I got really excited thinking I saw a couple AC II LEs, but I was sadly disappointed when I found it was just the Brotherhood versions. D'oh!

Just went to two Best Buy and scored 3 guides:

Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks LE
White Knight Chronicles
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Happened to check this thread out today on a lark and tried my luck at the BB by work. Managed to score:

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks LE
Alpha Protocol
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky

I don't remember seeing this mentioned yet (and it's been at least two or three weeks since this drop happened), but Toys R Us has marked a few of their older guides down to $2.00. It's not pennied, but it's still a great price for 'em. The only ones I can recall off the top of my head are:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

I hope they start doing this for all of their guides, because my store has plenty of guides I'd gladly pay two bucks for.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You do realize that MW2 was also pennied this most recent drop at BB, right?;)

As for the further BB by me, the one copy of Spirit Tracks LE is going to be there forever since there's no shrinkwrap on it and as such no barcode.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I was saying nothing I was interested in and what I meant to convey (obviously I did not) was that they had some stuff...MW2 being the oldest game and newest thing on the list.

[quote name='elrobo8']I don't remember seeing this mentioned yet (and it's been at least two or three weeks since this drop happened), but Toys R Us has marked a few of their older guides down to $2.00. It's not pennied, but it's still a great price for 'em. The only ones I can recall off the top of my head are:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

I hope they start doing this for all of their guides, because my store has plenty of guides I'd gladly pay two bucks for.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Time to check out TRU tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back