Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XII(Stock locator trick FAQ added to OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

To expand on this, if you come off as DEMANDING, then you'll likely be barred from the store and possibly banned from ALL of their stores entirely. Moreover, you may be charged with trespassing if you continue to press this, as retail stores are PRIVATE PROPERTY.

The penny price is NOT an actual price that the stores HAVE to sell the merchandise for, it is a 'marker' in their system to the employees to pull/destroy those items. The fact that we as CAG's get ANY of these means that employees are not doing their jobs correctly and we are very lucky to even get them in the first place.

So don't press your luck and ruin it for everyone by being an asshole to a manager/cashier who just wants to keep their job by doing what they're supposed to.

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price or 3) There are multiple versions of the guide and the one you grabbed is a newer version that has NOT pennied as of yet. Some examples of this are: The Godfather and Oblivion.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Best Buy Stock Locator FAQ to find stock for deleted SKU's(works for games and guides):

Here's a good little trick that some of you may already know. If you want to find out if your local Best Buy has stock of an item, but the page(and SKU) for it has been deleted you can STILL find/create a stock locator page for it.

Here's how to do it:

Google the item you're looking for the SKU for. Once you find it, take that SKU and copy/paste it into the URL for another item's stock locator page on BestBuy.com after where it says skuID=(example: blahblahblahblahskuID=2085453), then hit enter to reload the page with the new SKU in place of the old one and search away.:D

Unfortunately no such method exists for Gamestop at this time.

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

PLEASE USE THE THREAD TOOLS DROP DOWN MENU TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEW THREAD, RATHER THAN WASTING A POST TO POST 'TAGGED'. THANKS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Tailswisher']Well, after checking out the Gamestops in Oak Ridge & Nashville, as well as the Best Buys, I've coem to the conclusion that no one on this forum lives in the East. I mean, every single person I talk to says the same thing; that they return all unsellable products, displays, and other items to the distributor or a warehouse for a full refund. None of these stores do penny guides and haven't done so in years.[/QUOTE]

Heads up:
1) Never ask the employees straight up about penny guides. They probably don't know what you're talking about.
2) Some associates/managers may not let you buy it at $0.01. Whatever. Come back another time when that manager isn't nearby and/or another cashier.
3) Whatever happens, just roll with it. The bigger the scene you make, the less chance they'll still be on the shelf next time.

[quote name='Tailswisher']Yeah, well I'd much appreciate some advice or tips instead of criticism.[/QUOTE]

1. @ BB, find the guide section and look for the pennied ones, we have a list in the OP. If you don't see any pennied guides, all is not lost.

2. Grab a blue shirt and ask them if they have X guide in the back or x guide as you don't see it here in the guide section. Do whatever you have to do to make them look without telling them its 1 cent stuff. They may find one in the back. If they come back with one ask if they have more. If you know CE/LE edition is pennied, grab a softcover and ask if they have the hardcover. Sometimes you luck out.

For gods sake, don't ask anybody do you have pennied guides or 1 cent stuff, most don't know shit, you want to keep it that way

3. Once you have the guide, go to the front checkout, tell them

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
SMILE and Say these words to the cashier before they ring it up
"I found these in the clearance isle"

They will wonder why you have a stack in front of them. When it rings up 1 cent, checkout their face its priceless (well worth 1 cent at least), they won't call the manager b/c they think the price is clearance. If they think something is wrong they will call the manager and it'll be most likely over.

DONE

If you don't say the line they will think something is wrong, you have a stack (50+) of stuff in front of them and its all 1 cent, they will think something is wrong if you don't say the line.

@GS it all totally depends on the managers and how ship shape they run their store.

[quote name='nixmahn']1. @ BB, find the guide section and look for the pennied ones, we have a list in the OP. If you don't see any pennied guides, all is not lost.

2. Grab a blue shirt and ask them if they have X guide in the back. They may find one in the back. If they come back with one ask if they have more. If you know CE/LE edition is pennied, grab a softcover and ask if they have the hardcover. Sometimes you luck out.

For gods sake, don't ask anybody do you have pennied guides or 1 cent stuff, most don't know shit, you want to keep it that way

3. Once you have the guide, go to the front checkout, tell them

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

When it rings up 1 cent, checkout their face its priceless (well worth 1 cent at least), they won't call the manager b/c they think the price is clearance. If they think something is wrong they will call the manager and it'll be most likely over.

DONE

@GS it all totally depends on the managers and how ship shape they run their store.[/QUOTE]
:D Actually the list is in the second and third posts, not the first post.;)

I actually took the list with me when I went and at BB I asked a nearby blue shirt to check the price on the guides marked, on here, as pennied. They rang up normal price. But that could be because they hadn't changed the price on them at that store, yet.

[quote name='Tailswisher']I actually took the list with me when I went and at BB I asked a nearby blue shirt to check the price on the guides marked, on here, as pennied. They rang up normal price. But that could be because they hadn't changed the price on them at that store, yet.[/QUOTE]

There are 2 lists, one for BB and one for GS. Their pennied guide schedules are different. The last BB drop was 3 months ago, most likely, not certain but most likely, the pennied are gone for BB until next drop. We are hoping the next BB drop is soon.

Make sure your list is for the guides that dropped at Best Buy; not at Gamestop (these stores do not drop at the same time). If a drop happens at Best Buy it will be that price at every store nationwide, same for if the drop occurs at Gamestop.

[quote name='Tailswisher']I actually took the list with me when I went and at BB I asked a nearby blue shirt to check the price on the guides marked, on here, as pennied. They rang up normal price. But that could be because they hadn't changed the price on them at that store, yet.[/QUOTE]

Were you looking at the BB penny list or the Gamestop penny list? It is not a store-by-store basis; it is a Corporate-wide decision so all stores reflect the penny prices.

Also someone mentioned this is due to poor accounting systems, but it has nothing to do with accounting systems, it is likely due to vendor agreements.

I get the feeling IATTCG is wanting to fucking flip out right now. :)

[quote name='nixmahn']3. Once you have the guide, go to the front checkout, tell them

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
[/QUOTE]

And the reply will be, "We don't have a clearance aisle."

Just say you heard they're on clearance. Which is also not as much a lie as you found them in the clearance aisle.

[quote name='elessar123']And the reply will be, "We don't have a clearance aisle."

Just say you heard they're on clearance. Which is also not as much a lie as you found them in the clearance aisle.[/QUOTE]

All the better, but it has never happened to me, most don't even know they don't have a clearance isle. Besides, once they see the 1 cent ring up, all you see is their face is awe with jaws dropped. Thats the effect you want, the surprise makes them lose all sense of logic, in disbelief.

Once you see that face, you know they can't think strait to call a manager over, period. I AM NOT KIDDING. Keep them scanning your guides, this is when I am extra helpful and help them bag my guides, pay with exact change so no time is wasted, and get out of dodge before the ephoria is over. If the clerk is cute. I risk it and stick around and talk while she is still awed by my awesomeness.

[quote name='Tailswisher']Well, after checking out the Gamestops in Oak Ridge & Nashville, as well as the Best Buys, I've coem to the conclusion that no one on this forum lives in the East. I mean, every single person I talk to says the same thing; that they return all unsellable products, displays, and other items to the distributor or a warehouse for a full refund. None of these stores do penny guides and haven't done so in years.[/QUOTE]

Thanks you big fat stupid retarded idiot. Several of us CAGs have gotten penny guides at those stores. Now we probably won't. Read the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bezerker']So did Dead Rising 2 CE drop at Gamecrazy too?[/QUOTE]

If only game crazy is still in business....

But yes at GS

[quote name='confoosious']I get the feeling IATTCG is wanting to fucking flip out right now. :)[/QUOTE]
:cry::whistle2:# You know me too well. But as some know by now I can't and I won't get into that further. It just still irks me to see folks ignore the first half dozen posts of a thread and ruin it for other people in their area.:roll:

I guess I don't understand - how does asking for a price check on a guide ruin anything? It doesn't seem like he said, "I heard these were a penny, can you check". I think some of us are getting a little too territorial.

Also, an isle is a land mass entirely surrounded by water. Just FYI.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I guess I don't understand - how does asking for a price check on a guide ruin anything? It doesn't seem like he said, "I heard these were a penny, can you check". I think some of us are getting a little too territorial.

Also, an isle is a land mass entirely surrounded by water. Just FYI.[/QUOTE]

The way the post was first put is seemed as though they went place to place asking "Do you guys sell penny guides here" which is why people are saying that doing so could ruin future chances of getting any.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I guess I don't understand - how does asking for a price check on a guide ruin anything? It doesn't seem like he said, "I heard these were a penny, can you check". I think some of us are getting a little too territorial.

If your upset enough to correct ppl about spelling, I suggest you stay off the internetz

Lets see if you want too correct anythings else :evil:

Actually, price drops to a penny are universal usually. Once the notice goes out in the system to drop stuff to a penny it drops to that price across the chain.

It could be that the guides you chose to have price checked have multiple versions out and that you chose to have a newer version price checked.

If the answer was:
"every single person I talk to says the same thing; that they return all unsellable products, displays, and other items to the distributor or a warehouse for a full refund. None of these stores do penny guides and haven't done so in years."

Then the question most assuredly was not 'can you please price check this for me'.

[quote name='gordojones88']Thanks you big fat stupid retarded idiot. You f***ed with my stores. Read the God Damn OP.

.[/QUOTE]

What he said.

There is a spoiler section in the OP that says: Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ). Read it.
I wonder if it might need to be expanded just a tad with a list of 'Do's' and 'Don'ts', even though it seems pretty clear to me from the beginning.

That's strange. They usually say, "Oh, yeah, we sell penny guides. It's in violation of corporate policy and the store manager's directives, but whatever, we do it anyway. It's not like I need this job, it being so easy to get another job these days. Give me your cell and I'll text you next time we're selling penny guides. Hell, I'll tweet it, here's my handle."

In other news: my local BB has guides on the shelves again after they disappeared before BF. However, the selection is miniscule compared to before.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:cry::whistle2:# You know me too well. But as some know by now I can't and I won't get into that further. It just still irks me to see folks ignore the first half dozen posts of a thread and ruin it for other people in their area.:roll:[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better Einstein said only two things are infinite, human stupidity and the universe and he wasn't sure about the last one. Plus there are ppl out there who appreciate the work you do.

My condolences to anyone in that area who may have a harder time now.

I know you always jump me when I suggest this, IATCG, but this is why calling this "reduced price" guides only makes things harder on you (and the rest of us). Noobs don't realize this is a loophole sort of situation and feel they can walk in and ask for the "guides that are on sale".

But hey, what do I know? I appreciate the hard work you and a few others put into this thread. If you want to keep a crap title that leads to nonstop noob episodes, it's your thread.

The people in this thread are out of control.

Sure the kid was an idiot but you are not entitled to anything he supposedly ruined. It is not your store and they are not your guides. Everything here is built around a loophole and even if he hadn't "ruined" your store there is still no garuntee that next time guide drops they would even sell you them.

I can understand being upset but some people are flying off the handle like these guides were owed to you or something.

In my area Targets sell their clearance items to the goodwill before they ever hit any real price drops. Should I go to the all the goodwills in my area and call the employees fat retards for helping taking away my target clearance? Because you know just because I visit CAG that means that everything within a 50 mile radius is mine and just mine.

[quote name='Zippon']My condolences to anyone in that area who may have a harder time now.

I know you always jump me when I suggest this, IATCG, but this is why calling this "reduced price" guides only makes things harder on you (and the rest of us). Noobs don't realize this is a loophole sort of situation and feel they can walk in and ask for the "guides that are on sale".

But hey, what do I know? I appreciate the hard work you and a few others put into this thread. If you want to keep a crap title that leads to nonstop noob episodes, it's your thread.[/QUOTE]
Because we're given a far too small a character limit for the title of the OP of threads to properly convey the contents of said threads. Otherwise I'd gladly rename it something appropriately long winded enough that would answer most newbies questions regarding this deal/glitch/error in a succinct manner.

But from here on out if my fellow CAG's want to answer questions, then great, but I will not and shall not answer any redundant questions anymore. If it's covered in either the OP or one of the other posts within this thread, then search for it or keep asking till someone gets frustrated and answers it for you.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

But from here on out if my fellow CAG's want to answer questions, then great, but I will not and shall not answer any redundant questions anymore. If it's covered in either the OP or one of the other posts within this thread, then search for it or keep asking till someone gets frustrated and answers it for you.[/QUOTE]

Im with you. No more answering questions that are answered in the OP

[quote name='Tailswisher']Yeah, well I'd much appreciate some advice or tips instead of criticism.[/QUOTE]

The internet is a double edge sword. Sure you get great info in this thread from really smart people but then you have people who go and potentially kill the ability of other people to score penny guides.

Could it be that this guy is just trying to get everyone upset?

Could someone really go into a store and ask employees for penny guides?

"I seen on the interwebz that you had lots of strategy guides that aren't supposed to be sold but are out on the floor for 1 penny! I don't have time to look for them myself, because I deem myself far too important to look for anything myself (like reading the OP on said interwebz). Can you go load up a cart full of them, if necessary take 2 carts. I do not plan on buying anything else, I only want to sell them on eBay for profit!"

"Sorry sir, we do not have any penny guides at this store nor does Best Buy sell merchandise for a penny. We will have sent them back to the manufacturer for a pro-rated refund before they drop that low. Please do not even come back to any Best Buy looking for them because you will have wasted your time and ours."

"This thread is false advertisement!"

*IATCG's head explodes*

Finally people are aligning behind IATCG!

All kidding aside, it's been my experience that the best way to approach getting the guides is by being polite and not having the deer in headlights look on your face as you wait for the cashier's reaction.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']The people in this thread are out of control.

Sure the kid was an idiot but you are not entitled to anything he supposedly ruined. It is not your store and they are not your guides. Everything here is built around a loophole and even if he hadn't "ruined" your store there is still no garuntee that next time guide drops they would even sell you them.

I can understand being upset but some people are flying off the handle like these guides were owed to you or something.

In my area Targets sell their clearance items to the goodwill before they ever hit any real price drops. Should I go to the all the goodwills in my area and call the employees fat retards for helping taking away my target clearance? Because you know just because I visit CAG that means that everything within a 50 mile radius is mine and just mine.[/QUOTE]

You're right that there are no guarantees that the guides will be there, but people shouldn't make it more difficult for the next CAG.
People should know not to make a big fuss or draw the attention.

Your using the wrong example. Target is selling to goodwill....goodwill employees are buying and ruining deals.

And who said anything about "mine and just mine"....I quietly go and buy some guides and leave a lot behind....then I go the next day and pick up some more if they are there....then I go the next day...etc.

The point is don't make it harder for the next guy or CAG.

[quote name='Readthepost']You're right that there are no guarantees that the guides will be there, but people shouldn't make it more difficult for the next CAG.
People should know not to make a big fuss or draw the attention.

Your using the wrong example. Target is selling to goodwill....goodwill employees are buying and ruining deals.

And who said anything about "mine and just mine"....I quietly go and buy some guides and leave a lot behind....then I go the next day and pick up some more if they are there....then I go the next day...etc.

The point is don't make it harder for the next guy or CAG.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with everything you just said but that is not the attitude on this website. I am a firm believer of getting what I need and nothing more. I would never want to ruin a potential deal for someone else however that is not how everyone else here thinks. I mean just look at this thread as an example, people grab 3-5 copies of one guide instead of the 1 copy that they would need. Greed is rewarded on this site. People will screw over other CAGS just for a dollar or two flip to amazon or gamestop.

My point being if you're one of those greedy people who hoard good deals I don't think you really have the right to complain when someone else takes a dump in your back yard and ruins you getting guides. Just think of how many people you have potentially screwed out of guides in the past by hoarding, you're just as guilty.

This statement isn't directed towards anyone in this thread in particular. I'm just talking about CAG in general.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I would agree with everything you just said but that is not the attitude on this website. I am a firm believer of getting what I need and nothing more. I would never want to ruin a potential deal for someone else however that is not how everyone else here thinks. I mean just look at this thread as an example, people grab 3-5 copies of one guide instead of the 1 copy that they would need. Greed is rewarded on this site. People will screw over other CAGS just for a dollar or two flip to amazon or gamestop.

My point being if you're one of those greedy people who hoard good deals I don't think you really have the right to complain when someone else takes a dump in your back yard and ruins you getting guides. Just think of how many people you have potentially screwed out of guides in the past by hoarding, you're just as guilty.

This statement isn't directed towards anyone in this thread in particular. I'm just talking about CAG in general.[/QUOTE]
While I do share your sentiment somewhat, you obviously have not dealt with some of the nitpicky people that I have. I've had people complain about $.20 worth of shipping cost before and DEMAND I send something Media Mail when first class would get there 10x faster and be guaranteed not to get inspected/rejected. Yes, you read that right, arguing over twenty cents.

So in that case I just told them the deal was off and traded/sold the item(s) elsewhere.

As far as hoarding anything goes, if it's something I feel some of the more reasonable folks on CAG may want(Uncharted from TRU for under $10 before Black Friday) then I'll pick up as many as I can get my hands on to help out on here.

But as for guides anymore, I only grab the CE/LE/SE ones and ones I really need or might want for whenever I get that game. Otherwise I leave the rest and if they're still there in a month or two I'll start cherry picking them one at a time. But again, only stuff I may personally need or want and nothing else.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I would agree with everything you just said but that is not the attitude on this website. I am a firm believer of getting what I need and nothing more. I would never want to ruin a potential deal for someone else however that is not how everyone else here thinks. I mean just look at this thread as an example, people grab 3-5 copies of one guide instead of the 1 copy that they would need. Greed is rewarded on this site. People will screw over other CAGS just for a dollar or two flip to amazon or gamestop.

This statement isn't directed towards anyone in this thread in particular. I'm just talking about CAG in general.[/QUOTE]

I total agree with you about the greed. I hit 1 store, the one down the street. Ill take what they have or what I can get. I keep what I want and I trade the others here for the others I want that they dont have or give them to friends who would want them. But peeople that got to 1 store, get what they have then hit the next store get the what they have ansdso on and end up hitting like 5 or 6 gamestops and come away with 6 or 7 copies of each pennied guide is harsh. Now I have got my share of multi pennied guides but from 1 store not 4 or 5. Now Im too am not pointing the finger at anyone here, im just stating my feelings on the matter and am making a generalized statment.
Greed is why GS and BB have changed there stance on pennied out guides. In the years when I was at GS we could take what we wanted and then would hand out the others to people who asked or if someone happend to buy the game and we had the pennied guide but even employees got greedy in our area and some would take all, 50 or more at a time, and sell them at the used bookstore and make $100 or more and the DM and RM didnt like it. I hated to see the crack down as much as anyone but that what greed will do.

[quote name='jcmeadows'] employees got greedy in our area and some would take all, 50 or more at a time, and sell them at the used bookstore and make $100 or more and the DM and RM didnt like it. [/QUOTE]

This is exactly why every GS in my area (save one) completely dried up a year ago. The DM saw someone (employee or customer) dumping the guides on the used bookstores and put a stop to it. Prior to that, getting guides was a breeze. Now the DM physically travels to each store and tosses the guides himself.

[quote name='bgame2']Finally people are aligning behind IATCG! [/QUOTE]

IATCG is a wank, a crank, and a filthy rotten hoarder...but I wouldn't have him any other way! He's like the ultimate embodiment of CAG. I can't believe they are thinking of censuring him. The only time I see him going off on someone it's because they've done something monumentally moronic and ignored all the work he put into his FAQ. A lot of CAGs are much ruder with less cause and less contributions. I'm just sayin'....

Bummer my BB didn't have Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition, God of War 3, or Mass Effect 2 guides for a penny. They were all full price. I did manage to get a Zelda Spirit Tracks Collectors Edition at GS. Oh and GS didnt have the Mass Effect 2 guide for a penny either.

[quote name='D_Icon']Bummer my BB didn't have Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition, God of War 3, or Mass Effect 2 guides for a penny. They were all full price. I did manage to get a Zelda Spirit Tracks Collectors Edition at GS. Oh and GS didnt have the Mass Effect 2 guide for a penny either.[/QUOTE]

I really can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. Sarcastic comments really need their own color or font.

Note: This comment really isn't sarcastic... or is it!?!?

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']I really can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. Sarcastic comments really need their own color or font.

Note: This comment really isn't sarcastic... or is it!?!?[/QUOTE]

It's getting hard to tell now, there seem to be more and more posts where it's questionable if it's serious, a joke, or sarcasm.

[quote name='Ultragamer']It's getting hard to tell now, there seem to be more and more posts where it's questionable if it's serious, a joke, or sarcasm.[/QUOTE]

Which is a big part of why the majority of this thread has unfortunately become junk.

There's so many extraneous posts lately it's ridiculous.

I vote for a special thread-specific mod who deletes all posts not related to new drop info. And if there isn't a current mod who wants to check this thread regularly, perhaps someone reliable could volunteer?

There are 2 mods who come in this thread regularly and a third who occasionally wanders in. Barring information I might not be privy to, I don't see a reason why unnecessary posts can't be deleted on a regular (at least daily) basis. Regular enforcement of this would cut down on the posts, thus also lowering the number of posts that need deleting, making the task easier over time.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']I vote for a special thread-specific mod who deletes all posts not related to new drop info. And if there isn't a current mod who wants to check this thread regularly, perhaps someone reliable could volunteer?[/QUOTE]

i second that vote....seriously stop feeding the trolls everyone, all the questions can be answered simply by reading thru the 30 pages if it's not in the op which it usually is!

[quote name='ballbarfer']i second that vote....seriously stop feeding the trolls everyone, all the questions can be answered simply by reading thru the 30 pages if it's not in the op which it usually is![/QUOTE]

Is no one making the connection between IATCG being unusually nice and this thread becoming cluttered with non-drop related posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back