Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll continue bgame2's idea.

From my original post when they dropped off the site back in April:

1440665 Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition
1802061 DC Universe Online
1802034 Dead Space 2
1600417 Disney Epic Mickey Collector's Edition
1600384 Disney Epic Mickey
2278402 Dissidia 012 Duodecim Final Fantasy
9828549 Dragon Age: Origins Awakening
1091717 Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
1599429 Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
1487168 Gran Turismo 5 Essential Track Guide
1980063 Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
1801854 Mass Effect 2
2293082 The 3rd Birthday

Ultragamer just owned me! lol. But at least we can all check the inventory even if we can't try in store pick up.

Good work Ultragamer!

[quote name='Doomstink']Drops always happen on the third or first Monday of the month (tomorrow is the third). It's very rare for them to happen on any other Monday.

The prepull could have been a product of my store's ever changing guide rack location - it seriously moves every other week. In any case, guides definitely disappeared, so I'd expect a drop soon either tomorrow or if not, next month (on the 1st or 15th).[/QUOTE]

There was a drop the 4th week of October last year, so they could have changed their system and this was the beginning of them changing their drop. So either week is still a possibility, if I remember correctly during that drop a couple stores near me had pulled those guides a week in advance and a couple others posted the same results as well.

[quote name='bgame2']Ultragamer just owned me! lol. But at least we can all check the inventory even if we can't try in store pick up.

Good work Ultragamer![/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better I kinda cheated, all I did was go back to my post in April and copy paste the list I made then. If there's been any more dropped off the site since then they won't be on there(I think I'll go through my old documents and double check to make sure).

[quote name='hellmutt']Just for the hell of it I price checked Mass Effect 2 softcover at around 8:05PM PST. Still $20. Not sure if that is helpful or not.[/QUOTE]

Did you check the PS3 or 360 version? The 360 version is still on the site, the PS3 version is the one that disappeared back in April.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Did you check the PS3 or 360 version? The 360 version is still on the site, the PS3 version is the one that disappeared back in April.[/QUOTE]

Uuuuh. No idea, sorry. I apparently wasn't as alert as I should have been.

[quote name='postaboy']P.S. Dropped by my local BB, it seems like all the Dragon Ages Origins/Awaking guide have been pulled. There was like 10+ of each about 3 days ago.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ultragamer']I'll continue bgame2's idea.

From my original post when they dropped off the site back in April:[/QUOTE]

I just saw most of those guides today mentioned in these 2 posts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I was hoping I wouldn't have to stay up late tonight...that's not going to happen :lol:

I also think we have a new wrinkle with penny guide purchases at Best Buy. The people who now work the gaming kiosks are all pretty knowledgeable about stuff. I think there is far less of a chance that one of them will allow a penny guide than the CSR's at the checkout counters.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I'll stop by BB around 2 EST to check if it hasn't been done yet. I really want that Borderlands GOTY guide :([/QUOTE]

gwawww 2pm? way to get the worm..j/k

I'm going out at 11am CST, I'll report back, got my pocketful of change ready, but less than a 1/4 tank of gas so I doubt I'm hitting up more than one store..oh well. kinda hard to keep my fingers crossed when 1 out of 7 stores had them on the shelf with the last drop...

[quote name='hellmutt']Uuuuh. No idea, sorry. I apparently wasn't as alert as I should have been.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mistar Muffin']Mvc2
Dead space 2
Mass effect 2 old version
Epic mickey ce
Gt5
3rd bday

All full price. Those are the only ones from Ultragamers list that I saw.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking guys. Saved me a trip.

Yeah, I confirm that there was NO DROP on Epic Mickey, Dead Space 2, McC 3, and ME2.

Which stinks, because the BB employee told me that he was about to check the pull list. Since I beat him to the rack, he was going to let me take whatever I wanted before he pulled them! :(

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Um....so what did he pull??[/QUOTE]

I would have to assume nothing...he didn't say 'I have to pull some guides', he said 'I need to check the list to see if anything needs to be pulled'. Sorry for the confusion.

[quote name='gauu']that sucks i was really hoping for a drop as theirs a ton of rpg guides i want =(.[/QUOTE]

I know! I would love to get a Fallout GOTY guide...

sorry to report so late, but all guides are full price at 2 locations.
I walked up with all the guides and I watched the cashier ring and void every guide. I asked her to void them. I felt bad so I returned the guides to the rack myself.
I just got back now. Hope I save someone a trip.

10am at first location and 1130am at the second location....maybe they need to restart the registers???

[quote name='Readthepost']sorry to report so late, but all guides are full price at 2 locations.
I walked up with all the guides and I watched the cashier ring and void every guide. I asked her to void them. I felt bad so I returned the guides to the rack myself.
I just got back now. Hope I save someone a trip.

10am at first location and 1130am at the second location....maybe they need to restart the registers???[/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking rtp :) Really appreciate that.

Ok, don't mean to bump this but to give an update. The guides I listed are still full price in store if you can find them, but checking 3 of them that stores had plenty of copies of beforehand(Borderlands GOTY, Dragon Age Origins Awakening, Mass Effect 2) no stores had them in stock around me. This was when they were looked up through the RSS, went to the Bestbuy today where I was given the request to apply(which I did) and was talking to the manager and another employee and had them look it up.

The employee I talked to didn't know of a pull but he didn't work in videogames so he didn't know, but the fact that the guide section looks like it was hit by a nuke at this store and that all stores around me are showing 0 or 1 copies of a guide that had easily 10+ the days before, my guess is there was a pre-pull before a penny drop would take place. Even if there does end up being a penny drop, looks like I'm not getting in on it this time due to the fact no stores even have the stock anymore around me.

Definitely have seen guides disappear in the recent weeks at Best Buy such as the Borderlands GOTY one. Saw it one day, a few days later, gone. They also cleaned up the guides at that store. So I'm not sure if they're pulling early or just pulling for the sake of pulling. I ended up finding a copy of Borderlands GOTY last week (or two weeks ago) at a GameStop and paying $27. Forgot you get 10% with PUR, so it worked out decently. Not a penny guide, but the guide is hard to find and I wanted a copy badly.

[quote name='imacgod']Definitely have seen guides disappear in the recent weeks at Best Buy such as the Borderlands GOTY one. Saw it one day, a few days later, gone. They also cleaned up the guides at that store. So I'm not sure if they're pulling early or just pulling for the sake of pulling. I ended up finding a copy of Borderlands GOTY last week (or two weeks ago) at a GameStop and paying $27. Forgot you get 10% with PUR, so it worked out decently. Not a penny guide, but the guide is hard to find and I wanted a copy badly.[/QUOTE]

I think with the new trade in Game station, BB probably will stop having Penny Guides sitting and have the employees destroy it. Looks like the end of Penny Guides

Had to go out of town over the weekend so I hit a couple of Gamestops along the way. Only ended up finding three penny guides, but I was excited to even get those:

Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light
Super Scribblenauts
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

These were from two different stores. A third I went to didn't have any. :cry: Because I'd feel a little sketchy JUST getting the guides, I bought a game at each location :)ps2: Tales of the Abyss and :ps2: Mega Man X Collection) using some leftover credit.

At the first store the guy sold me the guide without even a look, he either didn't know about the penny guides or just ignored it and let it happen. At the second store the guy saw the prices and stared at his screen for a few seconds before looking up at me with a raised eyebrow and a grin. I shrugged and asked if it was okay for me to buy them, he turned to his co-worker, sighed, and said "SOMEONE isn't doing their job!" But he let me have them anyway. There were actually three Spirit Tracks guides but I felt sketchy enough getting what I had so I left two. :lol: I probably should have just grabbed them.

Whatevs, I'm happy to have had a good experience!

It would suck if Bestbuy went the path of Toys r Us and Blockbuster, but I don't really see it happening. Hopefully an employee can give some insight on all of this.

[quote name='htown01']You know, I went to a store that had that Borderlands GOTY guide for what seemed forever and it was missing. It's nowhere to be found at the stores I found them at :whistle2:( This is unfortunate.[/QUOTE]

Sucks...I guess I could look for more auctions for the list Ultra posted above...

I'd say there was a stealth drop...would explain why Epic Mickey guide was back in stock at goHastings after a month long absence...and the gran turismo guide I picked up was sealed :(

Here's a stack of DA:O guides

My guess is they've figured out a way to leave them at full price until manually removed from the system for the bin...I dunno.

So that means employee's must be taking them as they are sent back? Wouldn't that be illegal though since in the system they are still full price, I could see if if they pennied but to take a full price item that was just "trashed" seems like a big risk for your job for a couple dollars on the side.

Also Dragon Age Origins dropped at Gamestop so those could have come from there as a possibility.

[quote name='junkie88']I checked my Best Buy this morning and they still had all the ones I've been watching, including Borderlands GOTY, all rang up at full price.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Muthafodder']Did the Borderlands GOTY drop at Best Buy with the recent stealth drop?

Me thinks so.
[/QUOTE]

What stealth drop? See above quote from Monday. I also saw nearly all of the suspected dropped guides at a couple of BB's today and yesterday.

[quote name='nas6034']I'm on mobile but does the yellow bb label in that auction state .01 cents? If so, wondering what else dropped.[/QUOTE]

BB puts a yellow label over the ISBN number and barcode because their scanner does not read it. It reads the UPC barcode. The label basically "foolproofs" the checkout.

yah i had a friend who checked bb and the guides still ringing up full price. i dont think there was a drop at all unless its REALLY YMMV sale. i know the borderlands goty guide is selling on amazon for 55+ new so its possible they just grabbed it for the 30$ price and are selling it for a small profit.

[quote name='gauu']yah i had a friend who checked bb and the guides still ringing up full price. i dont think there was a drop at all unless its REALLY YMMV sale. i know the borderlands goty guide is selling on amazon for 55+ new so its possible they just grabbed it for the 30$ price and are selling it for a small profit.[/QUOTE]

55 ? Man sellers on amazon are insane. I'll lol if people buy that guide for 15 dollars more then the msrp of the actual game

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Borderlands GOTY guide is selling for (sometimes far) greater than retail. It could be they are just being bought up for resale.[/QUOTE]

One of the links showed two sold at $24.95.....a price difference of MSRP that isn't worth the time imo.

[quote name='Muthafodder']One of the links showed two sold at $24.95.....a price difference of MSRP that isn't worth the time imo.[/QUOTE]
Another sold for $55 shipped. If someone bought theirs for $15 during the 1/2 price sale like I did, they may have been happy with $28 shipped. I wouldn't be, but it takes all kinds. Sometimes making sure they sell is more important than profit for some in certain situations.

We have all seen some hoard items to sell for a buck or two profit before. It makes no sense to me either, but it happens all the time.

What amuses the crap outta me is how totally random some of the guides that seem like they're 'rare' or sought after are as far as quality of the games go.

Of course quality is a subjective term, but when you have one of the Lego games' guides going for $50+ when it was originally a $20 new guide, that's just hilarious.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What amuses the crap outta me is how totally random some of the guides that seem like they're 'rare' or sought after are as far as quality of the games go.

Of course quality is a subjective term, but when you have one of the Lego games' guides going for $50+ when it was originally a $20 new guide, that's just hilarious.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the Saga Guide? I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it's Star Wars which has an even bigger following. Is the Batman Guide still selling for a lot? just checked and it isn't.

For those of you who flip Video Games, Legos are a far better choice!!! I have 2 of these and I purchased them both for under $400 each.

Some guides end up being worth far more than their MSRP for some random reason, usually a short production run.

Ones that come to mind are:
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Dragon Age: Origins CE
Fallout 3 GOTY CE
Assassin's Creed "LE" with art book
Bayonetta LE (UK import)

It all depends on the availability of the guide and finding someone to buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back