Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KtMack23']Do any other CAGs want to meet up and try and go trash compactor diving with me? We could film it all with the "shaky can" and probably win an Oscar.[/QUOTE]
Sure. I'll hold the camera and stand outside of the compactor. You climb inside and go digging around.:razz:

Maybe if we're lucky we can recreate the trash compactor scene from Star Wars.;)
[quote name='postaboy']What happen to Toy"R"US? They used to penny out guides. I just got back from TRU and they have a lot of GameCuBe/PS2 Guides. I've been waiting for the Twilight Princess CE and Kingdom Hearts guides to drop for ages.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. They stopped dropping them a while ago, just like they stopped doing real clearance on their games/accessories.

[quote name='slowdive21']I am here to confirm what someone already mentioned.

This is from a reliable source at BB.

The "pre-pull" was a destroy order.

They will not penny out anymore.

Employees pull what they want and put the rest in the dumpster. (I'm sure this is against policy.)

He told me he brought home a whole stack of guides last week.[/QUOTE]

I know I posted this before, but.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

[quote name='KtMack23']Do any other CAGs want to meet up and try and go trash compactor diving with me? We could film it all with the "shaky can" and probably win an Oscar.[/QUOTE]

I call dibs on the bottom 100th of page 35 in the Fallout: NV guide.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']How long until we see the 1st BBY compactor related death on the news?[/QUOTE]

Tomorrow after I get out of school.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sure. I'll hold the camera and stand outside of the compactor. You climb inside and go digging around.:razz:

Maybe if we're lucky we can recreate the trash compactor scene from Star Wars.;)[/QUOTE]

Threepio, we can't find the guides! Threepio? Threepio!!

[quote name='Collectorguy00']How long until we see the 1st BBY compactor related death on the news?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KtMack23']Tomorrow after I get out of school.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='KtMack23']Tomorrow after I get out of school.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Just a FYI: They're only accessible from the inside. It may save some "daredevils" some time. ;)

[quote name='slowdive21']Just a FYI: They're only accessible from the inside. It may save some "daredevils" some time. ;)[/QUOTE]

I applied for a job yesterday in preperation for this.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If by recycle you mean sell them to the one flea market seller in the Merchant's Village in Pittston, then yep they do. But hopefully not anymore since I got both Penguin Group(that owns BradyGames) and Random House(that owns Prima Games) involved.:twisted:

I let them know that apparently BB was selling items they told the publishers they 'destroyed' to a third party seller and making money after being given a credit from the publishers.

Yeah. I'm a dick like that. I also negged the one BB chick who was buying/reselling them years ago for 'overcharging for shipping' on a single guide I purchased from her eBay account.:evil:[/QUOTE]

Guess who ruined BBY penny guides for all of us? Good job...:roll:

[quote name='DarkRider23']Guess who ruined BBY penny guides for all of us? Good job...:roll:[/QUOTE]

Honestly wouldn't surprise me.

At least there's still Gamestop I suppose.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Guess who ruined BBY penny guides for all of us? Good job...:roll:[/QUOTE]

It was inevitable, especially with some of the bitching people would do when they got denied. People filling up there shopping carts with guides wouldn't get unnoticed?

[quote name='skiizim']It was inevitable, especially with some of the bitching people would do when they got denied. People filling up there shopping carts with guides wouldn't get unnoticed?[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between Bestbuy noticing and the companies that are crediting Bestbuy to "destroy" the guide noticing.

[quote name='Ultragamer']There's a difference between Bestbuy noticing and the companies that are crediting Bestbuy to "destroy" the guide noticing.[/QUOTE]

^ this.

I thought people pitching shit fits were stupid. But contacting the publishers is so fucking moronic, it's beyond comprehension.

I think the 'straw that broke the camel's back' was the guy here who ordered 50 Fable 3 hardcovers from the last drop. Someone at corporate must have noticed that they spend over $100 to ship a 50 cent order and finally decided to put their foot down. That's what happens when people start getting greedy. They ruin it for everyone.

Penny guides have had the 'dead man walking' status for a very long time.
That said, I have to agree that some of the recent things that some CAGs have done have simply been insane.
I enjoyed the ride, and my collection (smaller than it once was) is proof. Time for some of us to find something else to collect.

Oh cmon Confoosi.....errrr wait....you're not Confoosious. What's up with that? I figured it woulda been my #1 homie to point out my memo to the guide publishers that ragged on me for it.;)

Yeah. It was not my brightest moment, but I just think what happened is that the people in charge at BB finally smartened up. Is that so hard to believe?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Oh cmon Confoosi.....errrr wait....you're not Confoosious. What's up with that? I figured it woulda been my #1 homie to point out my memo to the guide publishers that ragged on me for it.;)

Yeah. It was not my brightest moment, but I just think what happened is that the people in charge at BB finally smartened up. Is that so hard to believe?[/QUOTE]

For some reason I really don't think Bestbuy cared when we got guides for a penny. I can see when the person ordered 50 of them from online that probably opened their eyes a little. But I still doubt their internal point of view of pennied out items really effected this recent decision.

[quote name='Ultragamer']For some reason I really don't think Bestbuy cared when we got guides for a penny. I can see when the person ordered 50 of them from online that probably opened their eyes a little. But I still doubt their internal point of view of pennied out items really effected this recent decision.[/QUOTE]
My closest stores have been on top of the pull/destroy or whatever for the last year or two, so penny guides have been dead to me for at least that long here.:cry: Unless the guides showed up as $.01 online and I could order some for in-store pickup, I would come up empty handed at 10:01 am on the Monday morning of a drop.

So I guess I'd better get that Pokemon B/W CE guide that I stashed at a BB since it will never penny out now.

Is it hard to believe that BB smartened up? Yes, especially since old pre-order items penny out at BB.

I'm more of the persuasion that notifying publishers was the proverbial straw. They would be much more motivated to put an end to it than Best Buy would. No one wants to give credit for a service that is only being performed sporadically at best.

On the bright side it might make certain guides rare again and worth buying two with the intention of flipping when it goes OOP or pegged to get destroyed, it's not like they are going to get flooded. They used to happen all the time but have been mia for quite some time now.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']My closest stores have been on top of the pull/destroy or whatever for the last year or two, so penny guides have been dead to me for at least that long here.:cry: Unless the guides showed up as $.01 online and I could order some for in-store pickup, I would come up empty handed at 10:01 am on the Monday morning of a drop.[/QUOTE]

Just cause it was dead to you doesn't mean you had to kill it for everyone else you selfish #@$@#$!

[quote name='confoosious']Just cause it was dead to you doesn't mean you had to kill it for everyone else you selfish #@$@#$![/QUOTE]

this

[quote name='confoosious']Just cause it was dead to you doesn't mean you had to kill it for everyone else you selfish #@$@#$![/QUOTE]
There's no proof that my memo to the publishers is what killed it. None. So unless you can prove otherwise this is just conjecture.

some of you seems to be forgetting that this was mentioned previously.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If by recycle you mean sell them to the one flea market seller in the Merchant's Village in Pittston, then yep they do. But hopefully not anymore since I got both Penguin Group(that owns BradyGames) and Random House(that owns Prima Games) involved.:twisted:

I let them know that apparently BB was selling items they told the publishers they 'destroyed' to a third party seller and making money after being given a credit from the publishers.

Yeah. I'm a dick like that.
I also negged the one BB chick who was buying/reselling them years ago for 'overcharging for shipping' on a single guide I purchased from her eBay account.:evil:[/QUOTE]

iatcg, i have nothing against you or what you do in this board. but you probably ruined the penny guide deal at bby for all of us..

most of the B&M deals here are YMMV, you may get in on it or you may not. killing the deal and being honest about attempting to kill THIS SPECIFIC DEAL for the rest of us because you cant get your hands on any is crime against your fellow cag. we have proof that you tried to ruin it for us and thats good enough proof.

i would ban you myself but i have no power to do that. but you should be for doing what you did.

[quote name='drawingboard']I think the 'straw that broke the camel's back' was the guy here who ordered 50 Fable 3 hardcovers from the last drop. Someone at corporate must have noticed that they spend over $100 to ship a 50 cent order and finally decided to put their foot down. That's what happens when people start getting greedy. They ruin it for everyone.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that had an impact. I've been ordering penny guides for months and I know a few flippers that have been ordering by the hundreds for months as well. BBY never seemed to care or even notice for that matter.

The contacting the publishers is definitely what destroyed Penny guides at BBY. It just wouldn't make sense for BBY to all of a sudden come up with a new system for no reason. Whether or not people grabbed penny guides, they were still getting credited for them. It just looks like the publishers had a talk to BBY management and are forcing them to take more steps to avoid penny guides actually selling. IATCG ruined penny guides for himself by hoarding the shit out of them and when the store managers put a stop to it, he became a whiny CAG. Surely if I can't get guides, no one else should either!

Yeah, every time there was a guide drop online over the past few years and they weren't sold out by the time I saw they had dropped, I ordered the guides I wanted instead of trying to buy them in the store and have always had my order ship.

Time I chime in I suppose. From what I know at least, I've not heard a thing about them stopping with pennying guides. I do check the employee news often, and there hasn't been a mention of them anytime recently. It's possible that something could have slipped by near the end of my shift, but I doubt it.

Also, at my store at least, we don't destroy our guides, but ship them to some warehouse, like with other sendbacks. I wasn't around during the pre-pull, but I was for another last year before the last drop and the orders were to send them back.

Now, I may not be completely informed about everything involving the guides, but that's what I know, at least.

P.S. I'm not working tomorrow, so I won't be able to update you on what happens tomorrow. Sorry.

Thanks for you two cents, lox (HA! Get it?). We may not have definitive confirmation at this point but, unfortunately, it seems pretty certain.

The guide book sections at the 2 BBs near me use to be full of guides and they never get removed even when they penny. I notice during this month both of the stores' guide section is more organized and the older guides are all removed. I never picked any up since I am not into collecting them so I got nothing to loose but its funny reading how cheapestgamer got BB to fix the loophole store wide.:lol:

[quote name='neocisco']Thanks for you two cents, lox (HA! Get it?). We may not have definitive confirmation at this point but, unfortunately, it seems pretty certain.[/QUOTE]

? Yeah, I don't get it. Or I'm just tired right now.

[quote name='phear3d']some of you seems to be forgetting that this was mentioned previously.

iatcg, i have nothing against you or what you do in this board. but you probably ruined the penny guide deal at bby for all of us..

most of the B&M deals here are YMMV, you may get in on it or you may not. killing the deal and being honest about attempting to kill THIS SPECIFIC DEAL for the rest of us because you cant get your hands on any is crime against your fellow cag. we have proof that you tried to ruin it for us and thats good enough proof.

i would ban you myself but i have no power to do that. but you should be for doing what you did.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='DarkRider23']I doubt that had an impact. I've been ordering penny guides for months and I know a few flippers that have been ordering by the hundreds for months as well. BBY never seemed to care or even notice for that matter.

The contacting the publishers is definitely what destroyed Penny guides at BBY. It just wouldn't make sense for BBY to all of a sudden come up with a new system for no reason. Whether or not people grabbed penny guides, they were still getting credited for them. It just looks like the publishers had a talk to BBY management and are forcing them to take more steps to avoid penny guides actually selling. IATCG ruined penny guides for himself by hoarding the shit out of them and when the store managers put a stop to it, he became a whiny CAG. Surely if I can't get guides, no one else should either![/QUOTE]
If people were banned every time one of them ruined a deal, then CAG would lose quite a few people very often. Once again, there is no absolutely definitive proof that what I did had any discernable impact. Toys R' Us eliminated pennied guides several years ago, so to me this is just BB following suit.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if GS did something similar at some point. But to put all of the blame firmly on me is completely ludicrous.

Best Buy cracks down on penny guides about once every couple of years or so. It's been that way ever since I first joined here. There have been dry spells and after a while they loosened their reins and people were able to get pennied guides once again. That is what I feel is happening now.

spin3.jpg

Guys, doesn't the OP spell out that "penny" guides are essentially a logistical loophole? Every single one we manage to get is an under-the-table gift; the fact that some companies (*cough* Best Buy *cough*) have a tendency to allow us to do so via their website or in-store pricing doesn't (and shouldn't) make it expected behavior.

Granted, people sending penny-deal-related letters to corporate headquarters or publishers, or buying shit tons of pennied stuff online (or in-store) probably didn't do anything to help keep the situation on the down-low. But if you seriously expected the penny "deal" to last until the end of time then you have an incredibly low opinion of human intelligence … even if said human intelligence works for your most favorite hated corporation.

I'm just surprised that it took this long for someone at Best Buy to implement a way to deny penny guides… and please don't be too surprised if GameStop starts making similar changes in the near future.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sure. I'll hold the camera and stand outside of the compactor. You climb inside and go digging around.:razz:

Maybe if we're lucky we can recreate the trash compactor scene from Star Wars.;)

Yeah. They stopped dropping them a while ago, just like they stopped doing real clearance on their games/accessories.[/QUOTE]

Oh I see. Anyway thanks for letting me know.

I view them as a "bonus" that if I scored would make my day a little better. And if I didn't, no big deal. I don't flip my shit if I get denied. (Actually have never been denied.) and I don't grab more than 1-2 at at time.

I didn't expect them to last forever. HOWEVER, it would seem to me that while they might not last forever, you wouldn't screw over your fellow CAGs by doing something stupid like writing a letter to the publishers, who are really the ones being shafted in these transactions.

No, we don't know for sure IATCG's memo to the publishers is the reason for the drought. But regardless, why the hell would you write such a memo? It's just... beyond comprehension.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Guys, doesn't the OP spell out that "penny" guides are essentially a logistical loophole? Every single one we manage to get is an under-the-table gift; the fact that some companies (*cough* Best Buy *cough*) have a tendency to allow us to do so via their website or in-store pricing doesn't (and shouldn't) make it expected behavior.

Granted, people sending penny-deal-related letters to corporate headquarters or publishers, or buying shit tons of pennied stuff online (or in-store) probably didn't do anything to help keep the situation on the down-low. But if you seriously expected the penny "deal" to last until the end of time then you have an incredibly low opinion of human intelligence … even if said human intelligence works for your most favorite hated corporation.

I'm just surprised that it took this long for someone at Best Buy to implement a way to deny penny guides… and please don't be too surprised if GameStop starts making similar changes in the near future.[/QUOTE]

I know what you are saying but some of us been getting guides since 2004, 2005. It is too much of a coincident that it suddenly stop around the same time as IATCG's complain the the publisher.

I hadn't really kept up with penny guides the last few months at least. You guys would probably cringe at the guides I tossed out after moving out of my last apartment. I just got tired of moving them after moving several times.

Plus after my dad died so suddenly and tragically the week after Thanksgiving, it really put things into perspective. Most of the shit in life I thought was really important doesn't even really matter anymore.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']
I'm just surprised that it took this long for someone at Best Buy to implement a way to deny penny guides… and please don't be too surprised if GameStop starts making similar changes in the near future.[/QUOTE]
gamestop have already made changes. its the employees that needs to change by not following the company's protocols.

i wish someone will create a bar of soap that will last for eternity so i dont have to buy a new one everytime the other runs out. yes nothing last forever, i think we understood that. but for someone to intentionally try to kill something all of us cag have for however many years this has been going on again is a crime to us all.

this is a deal site and has been since it started. blocking a deal just so nobody else gets it is completely absurd. for many years, i dont think anyone had ever done that here until iatcag thinks its OK to do so cause he cant have any for himself. we all yell and scream at the guy who calls the store to look for penny guides or other ymmv deals including glitches.. lesson learned to that fellow until we get a similar or even better deal later on. but for penny guides - it might not come back. for many years we got away with it. one person speaks freely about it to the publisher, 2 months later its all done for.

So I suppose NONE of you have EVER acted rash without thinking about the potential long term consequences of those actions, eh?

That is exactly what I did. I am sorry if it messed up this glitch/deal for anyone, but again there is no conclusive evidence that the memo/email I wrote to the publishers caused this change at BB.

The way you apologize and defend yourself is digging a hole. Just say I'm sorry for my mistakes, and would accept being banned for a week. That way people of cag think your being punished and you can go play a video game. The problem with the situation is you killed the deal, and accepting it is your first step in the right path.

[quote name='ets']The way you apologize and defend yourself is digging a hole. Just say I'm sorry for my mistakes, and would accept being banned for a week. That way people of cag think your being punished and you can go play a video game. The problem with the situation is you killed the deal, and accepting it is your first step in the right path.[/QUOTE]
If I apologize I'm admitting guilt. If I defend myself and my actions, I'm just as guilty. Like I said, no one whose mind is already made up will change it because of my actions.

As far as they're concerned I'm guilty until proven innocent. As I keep saying there is no definitive proof that I did kill this deal, so the comments are unwarranted personal attacks on me as far as I'm concerned.

What do you really expect me to do? Wish to be banned for a week or longer on the assumption that I'm the cause of this change in policy? Sorry. But I'm not going to do that.

But I AM going to close this thread and if someone else wishes to reboot it for any future drops from GS or wherever, you're welcome to take it over. But as of now I'm done on this topic. Chances are a mod would've closed this thread anyway once they saw how far OT it's gone. So I'll save them the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back