Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I used my 50% off guide coupon on the Uncharted 3 CE one, then I traded my copy of the game.#-o Funnier still is I also have two sealed copies of the Dark Souls CE guide from when Amazon had that for $15 for each copy as well, yet I no longer have THAT game either.#-o#-o#-o[/QUOTE]

I used my 50% off coupon on the same guide. And I still haven't played that game yet...

[quote name='PatelKing']Here's some confirmation for Best Buy:
Couldn't find MK LE or DAII LE guides but had them look up in RSS, and both those show $.01
On the other hand, I found resistance 3 and white knight chronicles II and both of those rang up full price even though they on the list.

Good job on buying pre-pull. All stores I had them check in RSS around CT and parts of NY and NJ are all showing 0 inventory.[/QUOTE]

I've seen RE Archives in the wild still. Curious if those dropped, because I'd run out right now for that. :)

[quote name='Pookymeister']I've seen RE Archives in the wild still. Curious if those dropped, because I'd run out right now for that. :)[/QUOTE]

The second one, right? Because, if it's the first one then RUN. RIGHT. NOW.

[quote name='Pookymeister']I've seen RE Archives in the wild still. Curious if those dropped, because I'd run out right now for that. :)[/QUOTE]
I would too. But only after seeing what the original goes for now.;) Gotta get some new trade fodder guides for on here, since I don't think anyone wants the ones I have now.:cry:

[quote name='hellmutt']Hey lox, just wondering if you heard anything more about that pre-pull last month? Are all those guides still at full price?

I am wondering if we finally see the death of penny guides at Best Buy...
I pre-bought two CE guides 'just in case' but will have to return them shortly.[/QUOTE]

The one's I checked (Brink and the Pokemon Gold/Silver ones) were still full price.

[quote name='neocisco']The second one, right? Because, if it's the first one then RUN. RIGHT. NOW.[/QUOTE]

Ha yea. I have the first one already, and it's one of the exceptions to my "sell if it goes over $50" guide rule.

I stopped by local BB in Anchorage, looks like the guide section has been completly raided by store employees. I wasnt able to check any from the prepull... I suspect one of the fairly new employees has been jumping on the guides then selling them to a local mom and pop shop.. It was fun while it lasted...

[quote name='drakesvg']I stopped by local BB in Anchorage, looks like the guide section has been completly raided by store employees. I wasnt able to check any from the prepull... I suspect one of the fairly new employees has been jumping on the guides then selling them to a local mom and pop shop.. It was fun while it lasted...[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. The last time I was at Best Buy it had two full racks of guides with plenty of pennied ones to go around. I just checked today and the store only had one shelf and it was almost bare.

[quote name='loxthefox']The one's I checked (Brink and the Pokemon Gold/Silver ones) were still full price.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, lox. They are still full price on the website too :whistle2:(

[quote name='PatelKing']Here's some confirmation for Best Buy:
Couldn't find MK LE or DAII LE guides but had them look up in RSS, and both those show $.01
On the other hand, I found resistance 3 and white knight chronicles II and both of those rang up full price even though they on the list.

Good job on buying pre-pull. All stores I had them check in RSS around CT and parts of NY and NJ are all showing 0 inventory.[/QUOTE]

I drug my sealed Dragon's Age II LE guide back into the store today with my receipt. They price checked it, but it still came up at $34.99. They said it didn't show on the website at all.
Any Best Buy insiders have any juice on what might be happening? I wonder if they finally made a system change to foil penny guide hunters.

[quote name='hellmutt']I drug my sealed Dragon's Age II LE guide back into the store today with my receipt. They price checked it, but it still came up at $34.99. They said it didn't show on the website at all.
Any Best Buy insiders have any juice on what might be happening? I wonder if they finally made a system change to foil penny guide hunters.[/QUOTE]

They probably realized the best way to foil us penny guide hunters was to pull / destroy the guides BEFORE they are given the penny code (as opposed to the penny code INDICATING that the guides should be pulled / destoryed).

:cry: Is there a "sad panda" smiley icon?

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']They probably realized the best way to foil us penny guide hunters was to pull / destroy the guides BEFORE they are given the penny code (as opposed to the penny code INDICATING that the guides should be pulled / destoryed).

:cry: Is there a "sad panda" smiley icon?[/QUOTE]

Right... could be... in which case they don't really need the penny code at all.

[quote name='microchip2378']Picked up Battlefield 3 CE guide pennied today at Gamestop.....[/QUOTE]

and y r u saying this so nonchalantly?!?!? ever since i had my first penny guide haul, ive been watching this thread like a hawk. anyone else can confirm/deny a drop? theres a few guides i have my eye on...

Easiest way to know there's been a drop at GS(if it still works) is to put the physical versions of the guides that're listed on the website on your 'wish list' on there. When you notice they've been removed, then there's likely been a drop.

I can confirm Battlefield 3 CE pennied. Tropico 4 for the PC did also. I also got some COD 3 t-shirts but those may have dropped at another time. There could have been other guides, but that's all my store had.

[quote name='boneless']I can confirm Battlefield 3 CE pennied. Tropico 4 for the PC did also. I also got some COD 3 t-shirts but those may have dropped at another time. There could have been other guides, but that's all my store had.[/QUOTE]

best buy or gamestop?

[quote name='Techman16']gamestop[/QUOTE]

Damn, I was just in two tonight. And I saw one on the counter, no wonder why... son of a.

Has anybody been able to find the Mortal Kombat (9) for cheap anywhere? I know it's not a very good guide, but if I can get it for super cheap I'd still look at it. I tried Best Buy today to see if it wasn't a penny by chance, but it still rang up $20.

[quote name='MoltenMan']Has anybody been able to find the Mortal Kombat (9) for cheap anywhere? I know it's not a very good guide, but if I can get it for super cheap I'd still look at it. I tried Best Buy today to see if it wasn't a penny by chance, but it still rang up $20.[/QUOTE]
The guide pennied at GS not to long ago.

Got a Battlefield 3 CE at GameStop today my first success in over a year at a GameStop. I just picked up a used game and put it with the guide the clerk rang both up no questions. Now to return the random used game I bought.

Does anyone have a list of the guides that dropped at GS besides BF3 CE? Just curious. Otherwise I'll edit the OP(unless some fine CAG already edited it in there for me;)) in a lil while to reflect this drop.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Does anyone have a list of the guides that dropped at GS besides BF3 CE? Just curious. Otherwise I'll edit the OP(unless some fine CAG already edited it in there for me;)) in a lil while to reflect this drop.[/QUOTE]

I edited the OP, although I don't know how to do the damn penny symbol on my keyboard. :D

You'll need to add Tropico 4 to the third post since that's not a wiki. I'm not sure if you want to add the COD3 t-shirts there also since they may or may not be pennied. Don't know how that works with merchandise.

[quote name='boneless']I edited the OP, although I don't know how to do the damn penny symbol on my keyboard. :D

You'll need to add Tropico 4 to the third post since that's not a wiki. I'm not sure if you want to add the COD3 t-shirts there also since they may or may not be pennied. Don't know how that works with merchandise.[/QUOTE]

The CoD t-shirts were pennied.

[quote name='boneless']I edited the OP, although I don't know how to do the damn penny symbol on my keyboard. :D

You'll need to add Tropico 4 to the third post since that's not a wiki. I'm not sure if you want to add the COD3 t-shirts there also since they may or may not be pennied. Don't know how that works with merchandise.[/QUOTE]

Call Of Duty 3 shirts? I thought they were for MW3? If they were for COD3, then I think they've been pennied for a long time now, since one of the local Salvation Army stores had TONS of them in at $.99 each a while ago.

As for the cent symbol, I usually just cut n paste it when I edit the recent drop list.;) But here's how to do it for future reference. :razz:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4700738_type-cent-symbol-computer.html

¢¢¢¢¢ :whee::lol:

And now you know....;)

By the way, I'm seriously considering handing over this thread to whoever wants to keep it maintained. Any volunteers?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Call Of Duty 3 shirts? I thought they were for MW3? If they were for COD3, then I think they've been pennied for a long time now, since one of the local Salvation Army stores had TONS of them in at $.99 each a while ago.

As for the cent symbol, I usually just cut n paste it when I edit the recent drop list.;) But here's how to do it for future reference. :razz:

And now you know....;)

By the way, I'm seriously considering handing over this thread to whoever wants to keep it maintained. Any volunteers?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would say it's much more likely that they are MW3 shirts.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Call Of Duty 3 shirts? I thought they were for MW3? If they were for COD3, then I think they've been pennied for a long time now, since one of the local Salvation Army stores had TONS of them in at $.99 each a while ago.

And now you know....;)

By the way, I'm seriously considering handing over this thread to whoever wants to keep it maintained. Any volunteers?[/QUOTE]

I'll help ya out. I visit here pretty pretty frequently.

got 2 BF3 LE guides today. Guy was real nice and supposedly a manager. I had picked up one to go with my purchase and went it scanned a penny, I didn't say anything. He ended up taking it off the transaction and saying its not in their system anymore and I can just have it. He then told other employee to pull the rest. I asked if I could have 1 more and he said sure. Real nice employee and def going to give him a great review.

I'll probably be returning the AC:Brotherhood and Dragon's Age II LE guides I pre-bought last month - no price drop seems to have occurred and I don't want them at $35 and $30. If anyone has any updates on the status of these, and whether they might drop, that would be helpful. I suppose I might try return/rebuy to refresh the receipt. Otherwise, if anyone wants to buy them off me for the price I paid plus shipping, let me know.

[quote name='PatelKing']got 2 BF3 LE guides today. Guy was real nice and supposedly a manager. I had picked up one to go with my purchase and went it scanned a penny, I didn't say anything. He ended up taking it off the transaction and saying its not in their system anymore and I can just have it. He then told other employee to pull the rest. I asked if I could have 1 more and he said sure. Real nice employee and def going to give him a great review.[/QUOTE]

That's really cool! Pay it forward, just keep one thing in mind:

DO NOT MENTION PENNY GUIDES IN THE REVIEW.

That will likely get him in trouble and fuck up any chance you have of ever getting them again in your district.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']That's really cool! Pay it forward, just keep one thing in mind:

DO NOT MENTION PENNY GUIDES IN THE REVIEW.

That will likely get him in trouble and fuck up any chance you have of ever getting them again in your district.[/QUOTE]

No way would I mention penny guides, don't want to get him in trouble.

I am here to confirm what someone already mentioned.

This is from a reliable source at BB.

The "pre-pull" was a destroy order.

They will not penny out anymore.

Employees pull what they want and put the rest in the dumpster. (I'm sure this is against policy.)

He told me he brought home a whole stack of guides last week.

[quote name='slowdive21']I am here to confirm what someone already mentioned.

Employees pull what they want and put the rest in the dumpster. (I'm sure this is against policy.)

He told me he brought home a whole stack of guides last week.[/QUOTE]

Does it hurt anyone to just give them away I wonder?

I think we all knew it was only a matter of time before a non-idiot at BB corporate realized that the .01 code was unnecessary in the process of pulling and destroying guides. Personally, I've had an incredible run of .01 guides at Best Buy, starting with Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation as my very first one more than 10 years ago.

Oh well, it was great fun while it lasted.

I am really going to miss getting guides from BBY. I first started buying them in 2002 and it was nice to have the guide with you to get help rather than have to go to the computer and go to gamefaqs , but not worth paying $19.99+ for a guide.

[quote name='slowdive21']I am here to confirm what someone already mentioned.

He told me he brought home a whole stack of guides last week.[/QUOTE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xrlf3taEo

[quote name='AionTelos']Wait, this means we could dumpster dive and get the guides for a penny cheaper![/QUOTE]

Nope. My best buy has a huge compactor in the back where they toss all their garbage and it's closed off. I'm sure they're all the same

[quote name='AionTelos']Wait, this means we could dumpster dive and get the guides for a penny cheaper![/QUOTE]

NO. Most Best buys do no have a dumpster. They a huge Trash compactor so it would be kinda hard.

What happen to Toy"R"US? They used to penny out guides. I just got back from TRU and they have a lot of GameCuBe/PS2 Guides. I've been waiting for the Twilight Princess CE and Kingdom Hearts guides to drop for ages.

Do any other CAGs want to meet up and try and go trash compactor diving with me? We could film it all with the "shaky can" and probably win an Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back