Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fatbot3']Duluth, Ga Best Buy had New Super Mario Bros., Mass Effect 2, and Metroid Other M if anyone was looking for those.[/QUOTE]
Damn, I want NSMB but that's a bit far of a drive. Thanks for the heads up though.

Also, thanks to Ultra for the GS pennies, will check that tomorrow.

The SKU wiki post is updated now as well. Thanks again Ultragamer.

FYI: For the next iteration of this thread I'm considering smushing posts 2, 3 AND 5 into one giant mega wiki post and simply reserving a couple posts after that one to allow sufficient room to expand it should we reach the character limit for a single mega post.

What do you guys think of that idea? Yay? Nay?

Of course if CAG gains the ability to create a wiki post that's able to be edited by anyone viewing the thread(ala SD) then that would be fine as well, since then we could have multiple thread regulars simply going in and editing in the info as it comes in and is verified.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The SKU wiki post is updated now as well. Thanks again Ultragamer.

FYI: For the next iteration of this thread I'm considering smushing posts 2, 3 AND 5 into one giant mega wiki post and simply reserving a couple posts after that one to allow sufficient room to expand it should we reach the character limit for a single mega post.

Of course if CAG gains the ability to create a wiki post that's able to be edited by anyone viewing the thread(ala SD) then that would be fine as well, since then we could have multiple thread regulars simply going in and editing in the info as it comes in and is verified.;)[/QUOTE]

I can see post 2 and 5 being combined with just the SKU's being given along with the guides dropped. Honestly I don't really think post 3 would be good to smash along with the rest of the stuff since it's a separate list that is good on it's own.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The SKU wiki post is updated now as well. Thanks again Ultragamer.

Of course if CAG gains the ability to create a wiki post that's able to be edited by anyone viewing the thread(ala SD) then that would be fine as well, since then we could have multiple thread regulars simply going in and editing in the info as it comes in and is verified.;)[/QUOTE]

The idea of wiki creating something that can be edited by everyone would be nice, but also there would be loads of people that would probably either delete everything, or put in false info. So if that was to happen, might need to hope that there is some settings that only certain people can do it, but that would just lead back to being easier on this I'd assume

Just picked up pokepark today at gamestop. Really surprised it was still there. I should have looked better for the guides that dropped last week but they were closing. Also is there any way to find out if store has a pennied guide online?

I wish I had access to a computer sooner, but for anyone who wants to try: I was out of town this weekend and stopped by Best Buy in Clarksville IN. They had multiples of all guides from last price drop except for Epic Mickey CE. They were out of this one.

I hope the rest are still there for anyone who wants them.

[quote name='whisper22']Does BB carry the CE of Dead Rising 2? Has it dropped also?[/QUOTE]

It dropped back in February, so unless you completely luck out, I doubt you'll find one.

[quote name='ROB64']I can confirm Troy is a penny at Gamestop. They didn't have any others when I went though.[/QUOTE]

hehe im assuming this is a type and supposed to be thor???

I might've done something stupid for me.. I called down to gamestop for a question of in trade for a game I have, it was DS Guitar Hero Decades, apparently it is only 20 cents in trade and 10 cents cash. But that wasn't the stupid thing, afterwards I asked if they had the guide for 3rd Birthday (only one I'm wanting from the drop) and they said that they didn't, that they all have been pulled. Hopefully thats true and I didn't just give them the tip to pull them all. Cause I woulda liked to have a chance at that guide if it was gonna be possible at all.

[quote name='gauu']hehe im assuming this is a type and supposed to be thor???[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Maybe they meant Warriors: Legends of Troy? I don't know if they even came out with a guide for that game though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Tron?[/QUOTE]

C'mon gang, let's put our heads together and solve this mystery!

Gamestop drop today

830412 Bulletstorm
830254 Pokemon Heartgold & Soulsilver Versions Volume 2 Pokedex

Other possible drops(UNCONFIRMED)
830327 Guinness World Records Gamer’s Edition 2011
830022 Super Street Fighter IV

I'll check the possible ones tomorrow and report back.

[quote name='gauu']bah i was just their yesterday and they had a ton of bulletstorm and the pokemons. prolly wont have any now with the drop.[/QUOTE]

My gamestop gave me 4 of the Pokemons so they must be common, Bulletstorm on the otherhand they only had one copy of and one of the employee's claimed it.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Gamestop drop today

830412 Bulletstorm

Other possible drops(UNCONFIRMED)
830327 Guinness World Records Gamer’s Edition 2011

I'll check the possible ones tomorrow and report back.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm the SSF4 and Pokemon

Thanks Ultragamer! I only wish I'd seen this sooner, didn't come and read it until 5 minutes before GS closing. I'll have to swing by tomorrow, wouldn't mind grabbing a Bulletstorm.

How can I find out if the guide is in store online? Is there a way to look up skus? My closest gamestop is 30 min away and i didn't want to drive there for nothing.

[quote name='xenozfan2']How can I find out if the guide is in store online? Is there a way to look up skus? My closest gamestop is 30 min away and i didn't want to drive there for nothing.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately the only way to check for stock of these guides is to go in store anymore, as the SKU swap trick mentioned in post#5 no longer works.:cry:

Ok checked today and the official drop list for August 24th at Gamestop is:

830412 Bulletstorm

I was browsing my local BB and noticed a stack of SW: The Force Unleashed 2. I remember seeing it in this thread, but I couldn't remember if it was GS or BB. I asked an associate to scan it for me and it came up as a penny. Yeah, kinda risky but it worked out. The manager said I could have the one I picked out but they pulled the rest.

This store normally pre-pulls all guides. These were sitting on a shelf with no tag, I'm guessing they were put in the back just to be put out again.

On a side note, I found a complete mint copy of Dragon Quest VIII :ps2: for $10 in the used game section.

Yeah, I just went by a Best Buy today to see if I could find the Golden Sun: Dark Dawn guide, but all they had was one copy of Metroid: Other M. I got it price scanned, and the guy called over a manager. The manager then told me that someone must have missed it when pulling the rest, that the company was bound by contract to send the extra copies back, and that he couldn't sell me the one I had originally picked up. So feel lucky if you get anything from Best Buy anymore.

[quote name='GeekLantern']Yeah, I just went by a Best Buy today to see if I could find the Golden Sun: Dark Dawn guide, but all they had was one copy of Metroid: Other M. I got it price scanned, and the guy called over a manager. The manager then told me that someone must have missed it when pulling the rest, that the company was bound by contract to send the extra copies back, and that he couldn't sell me the one I had originally picked up. So feel lucky if you get anything from Best Buy anymore.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. My local GameStop has a manager who rips the cover off then tosses the guides. Not even employees are allowed to have them now.

Found Dead Rising 2 and Mass Effect 2(last 1) 1cent in Sharpstown BestBuy in houston tx. there is 1 more Dead Rising 2 guide. Thanks!

Went to gamestop on beechnut st. Sharpstown got bulletstorm guide there is a few left on the shelfs and got the last crysis 2 guide. There is also 2 thor guides left i didn't take any gl to whoever goes

Managed to find Crysis 2 and Thor at gamestop yesterday. The Gamestop guy was really cool and let me buy them. They didn't have bulletstorm, pokemon, or any others. I left a Thor guide on the rack for a lucky gamer to find. :p

I found a store (not best buy or gamestop), who still have a few copies of NSMB wii. I'm thinking of just buying one for myself for $19.99. This would be the 1st time I've paid full price for a guide.

Got denied at the Brownsville, TX Best Buy. The cashier said they were not supposed to sell these. Then called a manager over the radio and the manager said I could have the guides if I bought the game for it.

Left all guides at the register.

[quote name='Lord Chabelo']Got denied at the Brownsville, TX Best Buy. The cashier said they were not supposed to sell these. Then called a manager over the radio and the manager said I could have the guides if I bought the game for it.

Left all guides at the register.[/QUOTE]
I woulda tried the gaming rep who does the trade-ins now, since they have an actual register to ring people out on at their trade in desk. That way you could try prefacing the transaction with 'I heard these were on clearance' or some other bs line. It's always a 50/50 chance of getting the pennied items or not, but on the times I've been denied I've offered to take the guides back to the gaming section to put them back for them.

More flies with honey as they say.;)

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I found a store (not best buy or gamestop), who still have a few copies of NSMB wii. I'm thinking of just buying one for myself for $19.99. This would be the 1st time I've paid full price for a guide.[/QUOTE]

just a warning, make sure you have the sku for that handy b/c a store I found some out, the shrink wrap was off, and no barcode on the book, flipping thru 5 pages on here furiously on my phone while at the register, it was a godsend to find by some poster on here :D

and as a PSA, several stores around here have a sneaky habit of putting a copy or 2 of each guide out weeks after the pull them. Thats how I got lucky at a store I visited last Thursday, and even once with the last round of drops..so its definitely worth another check if you haven't got back to your favorite store recently!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I woulda tried the gaming rep who does the trade-ins now, since they have an actual register to ring people out on at their trade in desk. That way you could try prefacing the transaction with 'I heard these were on clearance' or some other bs line. It's always a 50/50 chance of getting the pennied items or not, but on the times I've been denied I've offered to take the guides back to the gaming section to put them back for them.

More flies with honey as they say.;)[/QUOTE]

Thought about actually buying the game then returning the games at another Best Buy. But was too lazy to act on it.

[quote name='token2k6']and as a PSA, several stores around here have a sneaky habit of putting a copy or 2 of each guide out weeks after the pull them. Thats how I got lucky at a store I visited last Thursday, and even once with the last round of drops..so its definitely worth another check if you haven't got back to your favorite store recently![/QUOTE]
They used to do that around here fairly often a couple weeks after a drop, but as of late I guess they've been taking them straight to the back and dumpstering them post haste.

Only ones I've seen pop up on the shelves at the further store here are the Madden 11 guides and I wouldn't even waste the $.02 trying to buy them to use as toilet paper.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They used to do that around here fairly often a couple weeks after a drop, but as of late I guess they've been taking them straight to the back and dumpstering them post haste.

Only ones I've seen pop up on the shelves at the further store here are the Madden 11 guides and I wouldn't even waste the $.02 trying to buy them to use as toilet paper.:razz:[/QUOTE]

LOL. So what is everyone doing with so many guides? I kept the ones that i have games with that I like (RE5,Bioshock 2,Epic mickey,zelda ST)

I have like 3 star wars CE, 3-4 metal hone LE,etc. guides from Best Buy (never had luck with GS.They do a good job following the policy)

Wish there was like a local place for CAG to meet and can trade/sell stuff.

[quote name='The Punisher']LOL. So what is everyone doing with so many guides? I kept the ones that i have games with that I like (RE5,Bioshock 2,Epic mickey,zelda ST)

I have like 3 star wars CE, 3-4 metal hone LE,etc. guides from Best Buy (never had luck with GS.They do a good job following the policy)

Wish there was like a local place for CAG to meet and can trade/sell stuff.[/QUOTE]
At one point when I had around 700-800 of these beasts I was going to snap a pic of me sitting on the stacks of them like a throne n use that as my CAG avatar.;) But I figured that would be like a slap in the face to anyone who never could get any guides during the drops.:razz:

As for my dupes and what not, I have them on my TL, but I haven't moved any guides in a while.

[quote name='The Punisher']LOL. So what is everyone doing with so many guides? I kept the ones that i have games with that I like (RE5,Bioshock 2,Epic mickey,zelda ST)

Wish there was like a local place for CAG to meet and can trade/sell stuff.[/QUOTE]

Try the trading thread. Here's the link.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287744

Unfortunately, the current rules don't allow for the thread to be bumped which has all but killed trading. Hopefully with CAG 3.0 (or sooner) those rules will be changed to revitalize the trading community because it certainly needs it.

[quote name='neocisco']Try the trading thread. Here's the link.

Unfortunately, the current rules don't allow for the thread to be bumped which has all but killed trading. Hopefully with CAG 3.0 (or sooner) those rules will be changed to revitalize the trading community because it certainly needs it.[/QUOTE]

Rules revised on the trading thread. If deleting posts breaks the thread again we'll just make a new one. Enjoy.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Rules revised on the trading thread. If deleting posts breaks the thread again we'll just make a new one. Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Hopefully it was just deleting many at once that broke it. It seemed to work well when individual posts were deleted.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Rules revised on the trading thread. If deleting posts breaks the thread again we'll just make a new one. Enjoy.[/QUOTE]Guess I don't need to talk with you after all, as I was about to talk to you about it.

Thanks for fixing it without me talking to you about it. :applause:

I just looked at the first page again and saw Crysis 2 on there ... maybe I'm crazy, but I thought I saw a few at my local GS when I went hunting for the Bulletstorm guide. Gonna make another trip over there tonight and see if I have any luck.

[quote name='neocisco']Try the trading thread. Here's the link.

Unfortunately, the current rules don't allow for the thread to be bumped which has all but killed trading. Hopefully with CAG 3.0 (or sooner) those rules will be changed to revitalize the trading community because it certainly needs it.[/QUOTE]

I think there are other reasons why trading has declined.

Some people post what they have to trade, but never check other's lists for their wants. Or, you send someone a message if something is still available - and never hear from them. So they don't contact you, and don't respond to your messages. I'm not sure why they post at all.

OR (my personal favorite) - some people treat these like gold. These people think that their guides are worth a whole lot, and won't trade unless they're getting some awesome deal. Now, I'm not suggesting that every guide has equal value, but at the end of the day, they were all free.

So and so has 4 copies of this guide, but expects 4-5 regular guides in return for 1, or only will trade for the Golden, Super-Embossed Limited Collector's Edition for it, or whatever.

Been trading here for a long time now, but lately, it just seems that no one can get any trades done anymore.

Not sure how keeping the thread stickied is going to change that.

I would think that if you have a want list, and a have list, you're willing to trade some of your haves for your wants. Seems pretty simple to me.

How many times have we seen people with tons on their have list, and six months later, the list is basically the same? No updating, or even more to the point - no trades completed. People are always waiting for the "better deal" to come along, and either it never comes, or after a while, no one is looking for those guides anymore - so they sit there. Then you get the, "I need to clear these out for a $1" threads. Meanwhile, you could have traded and made another boardie happy, and gotten something that you wanted (even if it wasn't your biggest want.)

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but trading has slowed to a crawl, and I'm not sure how we can change that.

[quote name='Orrimarrko']Anyway, sorry to ramble, but trading has slowed to a crawl, and I'm not sure how we can change that.[/QUOTE]

need moar EPIC drops!

seriously though, there isn't one GameStop that I know of, in 20 or so I could go to in Houston, that have penny guides available anymore. Most know me, and I have a feeling they know why I'm there when I walk in :lol: I don't even go out for GS drops anymore..BB is becoming worse too. We'll see..

and I think the deal with the trading is everyone has the same set of guides, the newer stuff, and everyone wants the same thing..plus its hard for people who legitimately paid $15-$20 to have the guide and game in hand, don't let those go for penny guides unless they are CEs..

[quote name='Orrimarrko']I think there are other reasons why trading has declined.

OR (my personal favorite) - some people treat these like gold. These people think that their guides are worth a whole lot, and won't trade unless they're getting some awesome deal. Now, I'm not suggesting that every guide has equal value, but at the end of the day, they were all free.

So and so has 4 copies of this guide, but expects 4-5 regular guides in return for 1, or only will trade for the Golden, Super-Embossed Limited Collector's Edition for it, or whatever.[/QUOTE]

This...I don't even bother looking at the trade thread or drive out to GameStop & Best Buy for these drops anymore...added that anytime you update your trade/sale post, someone else that updated theirs only the day before deletes their post and re-posts theirs AGAIN...just seemingly to be the last post....same CAGs that seem to do this.

I've bought guides from CAGs before and appreciate those that don't hold onto these expecting gold in return...so thanks to PapaSmerf, Rave Child, Rocko, Tempius, and boneless for selling guides to me in the past...I'm sure there are others that sell their guides as well...and not just old stuff.

But it's much less of a hassle to pay $5 a guide or less shipped from goHastings...usually before they're even considered for a drop at the local stores.

Pick-ups from goHastings over the past few months:
Batman Arkham Asylum
Infamous 2
Zelda OoT 3DS
Folklore
Fallout NV CE
Little Big Planet 2
Resonance of Fate
Nier
Darksiders
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Singularity
God of War Collection
Castlevania LoS
Bulletstorm
Lego SW The Clone Wars
Dead Space 2
Assassins Creed II
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Enslaved
Sly Cooper Collection

I can get guides for the same price and often much, much less per guide than here...from a retailer...

A few good quotes from the trade thread:

"***** You need to insult me with a lot of money to get this one (a little less than ebay prices) or have a GREAT offer because I only have 1 or 2 copies"

"Good offer required."

"(Will do at least a 5-for-1 trade)"

:hot:...you see these a lot and then you have to check your decoder ring to decipher their 'rules.'

I had a pretty awful experience today at a Best Buy regarding these guides. I actually made two managers start shouting at each other in the store.

I think I'm gonna sit out the next two or seven drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back