Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
Them being removed from the site does not mean they are going to be pennied anytime soon. I am sure some people have a better understanding of it. But I remember MvC3 and The 3rd Birthday were removed from the site months ago and they have yet to be pennied.

I just received my Killzone 2 guide from goHastings and it was in very good condition. I was going to order the Killzone 3 guide too but it went OOS when I decided to place an order. Fortunately, I was able to find some books I was planning to buy on Amazon for way cheaper.

Thanks tumbenhaur :)

FYI: For those of you with a Borders in your area, you may want to check there for leftover guides, as many of the Borders stores are now up to 80-90% off for most of the store.

Mind ya, it's not a penny, but it's about as good as some of us are able to get anymore.

I picked up two last week.
I had my eye on an oldie, but somebody bought it before it hit 70% off. So I went head and just picked up the others at that price. Glad I did. All the Boarders books in my area were closed two days ago.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Them being removed from the site does not mean they are going to be pennied anytime soon. I am sure some people have a better understanding of it. But I remember MvC3 and The 3rd Birthday were removed from the site months ago and they have yet to be pennied.[/QUOTE]

Damn I was hoping there was a connection.

[quote name='FOnewearl']They took about 5-7 guides off of GameStop's site so I'm thinking they might have had a drop today.[/QUOTE]

Do you know which ones?

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Do you know which ones?[/QUOTE]

Unfornately I don't, I only keep track of the total number of guides and check once a day. IIRC the one CAG that follows this thread keeps track of what drops off the site and if it's pennied out or not, hopefully he will notice this and know what was just taken off the site as to give anyone that still has some luck at GameStop a fighting chance at knowing what the hopefuls are.

Looks like The 3rd Birthday was one of them.

It just has the review left up now, and its review states it's no longer available. No clue if it's been dropped though.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Looks like The 3rd Birthday was one of them.

It just has the review left up now, and its review states it's no longer available. No clue if it's been dropped though.[/QUOTE]

The 3rd Birthday dropped last month. Very unlikely I'll find one in my area, since the employees do their jobs too well.

Confirmed drop:

830325 Call of Duty Black Ops Prestige Edition(collectors)
830571 Duke Nukem Balls of Steel Edition(collectors)
830307 LittleBigPlanet 2

I'll get SKU's in a bit, been a long day and I already forgot the 4th guide that dropped so wanted to post these before I forgot too. I personally didn't get any but the manager at gamestop confirmed they dropped since he took the only copies they had at the store. If anyones lucky enough to find doubles anywhere, would be much appreciated.

These also dropped on the site but I cannot confirm in-store drop:
830356 Cheat Code Overload Vol 1 2011
830300 F.E.A.R. 3
830322 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
830357 DC Universe Online
830296 Star Wars The Force Unleashed II Collector's Edition

Edit: Added SKU's and other guides that dropped off the site.
Edit 2: Red.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']The 3rd Birthday dropped last month. Very unlikely I'll find one in my area, since the employees do their jobs too well.[/QUOTE]

Ah, sorry about that. I suppose I'm a bit behind.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Confirmed drop:

830307 LittleBigPlanet 2

I'll get SKU's in a bit, been a long day and I already forgot the 4th guide that dropped so wanted to post these before I forgot too. I personally didn't get any but the manager at gamestop confirmed they dropped since he took the only copies they had at the store. If anyones lucky enough to find doubles anywhere, would be much appreciated.

830300 F.E.A.R. 3

Edit: Added SKU's and other guides that dropped off the site.[/QUOTE]

Grrrr. I was in GS yesterday and I saw F3AR, Cheat Codes and Duke Nukem CE on top of the shelf, which I thought was odd and wondered if they were being pre-pulled for a drop. Also in that stack was 2 copies of Dragon Quest VI, is that one still on the site?

Going to see if I can get a Duke Nukem. Really one . If anyone finds extra Ill trade. have lots of guides. Although worst case scenario Ill wait until Best Buy pennies it.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Grrrr. I was in GS yesterday and I saw F3AR, Cheat Codes and Duke Nukem CE on top of the shelf, which I thought was odd and wondered if they were being pre-pulled for a drop. Also in that stack was 2 copies of Dragon Quest VI, is that one still on the site?[/QUOTE]

I can guarantee that a pre-pull wouldn't be the case. When a guide drops they find out the day of the drop, since thats when they get the print-out for the price drops which is where they see the new sticker prices for the guides that drop. There's no memo's for drops at Gamestop like there are for bestbuy. Unless some employee's at your Gamestop managed to find a way to see the next days price drops.

:bomb: You guys are lucky I keep checking this thread for possible drop info and that I actually read the newer posts or I'd have never noticed the drop info Ultragamer mentioned cuz it's not in RED. :razz:

Thanks(as always) for the info, Ultragamer. I'll wait till ya remember the fourth guide before updating anything.;)

Star wars force unleashed CE dropped last week. I should know, I got 5.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Confirmed drop:

830307 LittleBigPlanet 2

830300 F.E.A.R. 3

Edit: Added SKU's and other guides that dropped off the site.
Edit 2: Red.[/QUOTE]

Stopped at my two gamestops. One didn't have any new penny guides at all except a Dragon Quest VI. At another store, and this angers me to no end, the manager literally destroys the guides and throws them in the garbage. Fortunately a friend there saved some before the destruction began and got me a copy guides, LBP2 and DC Universe.

[quote name='confoosious']That asshole manager did his job! Travesty.[/QUOTE]

Donate the guides or give them away. There is no reason to throw a good product away, be it a book or food.

[quote name='Romeo']Donate the guides or give them away. There is no reason to throw a good product away, be it a book or food.[/QUOTE]

You know the guides don't belong to GameStop to give away right?. They are being destroyed per contract with the guide publisher.

If by chance a manager was caught giving the item away it's a firable offense as they are going against the spirit of the contract.

[quote name='Romeo']Donate the guides or give them away. There is no reason to throw a good product away, be it a book or food.[/QUOTE]

This happens on a regular base on bookstores across the country on a much larger scale. Unsold newspaper and magazines are also destroy. What Gamestop is doing is really nothing compare to a bookstore

As for food some expired (but edible) are donated to food bank, but many are destroy due to concern about liability.

That is an unfortunate byproduct of capitalism.

OK. I guess the three guide drop is all that happened this week at GS. So I'll update in a bit.

EDIT: Second, third n fifth posts are all updated now.

Thanks(as usual) to Ultragamer for the info on the drop and to anyone who verified guides from the drop.

[quote name='Romeo']Fortunately a friend there saved some before the destruction began and got me a copy guides, LBP2 and DC Universe.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps there is a fourth confirmed?

Perhaps. I'll wait on some sort of confirmation before adding it. But I swear we had DC Universe Online drop a while back at GS already.

EDIT: I went back through the second post and corrected a few errors I noticed(like 2 drop lists for 8/17 for GS that are now consolidated).

Just a note for those looking for the guides from the current drop, if a guide says it's some sort of special edition(Balls Of Steel Edition for the DNF guide, for example), then it will most likely be a hardcover/collector's edition guide.

I got a free Castlevania Lord of Shadows Guide today, so I think its safe to assume that pennied as well. Thanks again for the heads-up on these.

[quote name='iamthecheapestgamer']duly noted. I'll probably wait till we get sku's for those two guides before updating.[/quote]

dq vi - sku 830449
fear 3 - sku 830300

Wish me luck, I am headed out today to see what I can find. I don't expect much. The last time I actually found one of these they wouldn't let me buy it, the guy at GS said that he couldn't sell it to me because it wasn't in the system, and it wasn't even supposed to be on the floor.

[quote name='Gep88']Wish me luck, I am headed out today to see what I can find. I don't expect much. The last time I actually found one of these they wouldn't let me buy it, the guy at GS said that he couldn't sell it to me because it wasn't in the system, and it wasn't even supposed to be on the floor.[/QUOTE]
Tell them since it was on the floor, can they just give it to you?
This works 90% of the time for me.
The other 10%, ask them to call a manager, the managers know me so they tell them to give it to me.
Good luck

Just be careful with the whole "call the manager" thing because, technically, they aren't supposed to sell or give it away. And unless the manager is your buddy, they will probably uphold that.

Lucked out today, I called down to a gamestop yesterday to trade a game. I got the augmented Deus ex game for 360, and apparently I was the lost copy at where I preordered it, so due to that, the box was dented and very bad looking. So I found one that still had several copies with it. Then went to exchange there (and look for recent drop of course). Which went over well. Found a fear 3 guide (kinda badly damaged though) and SWTFU2, would try to say the sku number, but apparently there is no price sticker from gamestop on it.. Sorry not able to add that one in

Anyone have the info(SKU) on the possible DC Universe Online guide that may have dropped at GS? I've also seen at least 1-2 users in the guide trade thread mentioning a Cheat Code Overload book that dropped at GS this week as well.

Anyway, anyone have any info on those two?

[quote name='Zippon']Just be careful with the whole "call the manager" thing because, technically, they aren't supposed to sell or give it away. And unless the manager is your buddy, they will probably uphold that.[/QUOTE]
I usually do the surveys so the managers are pretty cool.

I just got Duke CE (sealed), SWFU 2 CE (sealed) and DQ VI (major shelf damage).

[quote name='Readthepost']I usually do the surveys so the managers are pretty cool.

I just got Duke CE (sealed), SWFU 2 CE (sealed) and DQ VI (major shelf damage).[/QUOTE]
I've only done the surveys when people were either cool to me(got all 10's) or dicks(got all 1's n lotsa added in comments;)). Corporate and the managers/DM's really do read those surveys or at least they did when I did the one for Sears the one time.;)

Of course once I was banned from GS I went back and found all of my old receipts I hadn't done the surveys on and did them while still using the system above(10's for good employees, 1's for dickwads). I also added in comments about their fine quality merchandise, the stench that some of their stores have and how annoying it is to be pestered for pre-orders every half second while in the stores.

Just received my 6 out of 7 guides from hastings. All like new condition, RE 5 is still wrapped, except one which is a little beat up and has tape residue. But all is well. Still waiting on ME 2.

well i got lucky at gamestop. LONG time since ive gotten anything. the thing thats even better is its the guides i wanted and some trade barter. got fear 3 mint new,little big planet 2 mint new,dragon quest 6 x2 one mint new im keeping and one not major dmg but def has curling on the bottom right etc..perfect for a read copy though.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Anyone have the info(SKU) on the possible DC Universe Online guide that may have dropped at GS? I've also seen at least 1-2 users in the guide trade thread mentioning a Cheat Code Overload book that dropped at GS this week as well.

Anyway, anyone have any info on those two?[/QUOTE]

830356 Cheatcode Overload Winter 2011
Castlevania: Lords Of Shadows

I got 2 copies of
Castlevania in my haul and didn't see it in the list, but it definitely dropped with the 9/15 batch.

EDIT: Red

Alrighty then. I'll update the appropriate posts in a bit. Thanks Mistar Muffin for the SKU's and list of other stuff that dropped.

I kinda figured we're missing stuff from some of these drops, since BB and GS usually drop the same guides a month or three apart from each other.

EDIT: Second, third and fifth posts are re-updated with the new guides from this drop. Thanks again Mistar Muffin for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back