Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, there's now a wiki post added. (thanks htz!)

I added the ones from TRU from this past week.  I can work on the rest tomorrow if nobody beats me to it.

Tried at two different TRU and they both denied me.

If anyone has a spare Pikmin 3, Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds, Luigi's Mansion, or Animal Crossing New Leaf guide they want to let go PM me. 

Theres a TRU near my work I may try tomorrow but i'm not too hopeful. 

Oh, they can deny me? TRU is really far. I was planning to go tomorrow, but so much could go wrong(none in stock/denied), not sure if its worth it.

thanks for the update, I went and got a bunch also. There were so many I left behind, because I feel the days of "grab them shitz" are long gone lol, didnt see the need to hoard them, but I got about 15 total. Reminded me of the good ol days at Best buy. (or even Blockbuster and Game Crazy lol)

I hadn't even seen this thread update, I just went into my local TRU yesterday afternoon to check out their Amiibo selection. While I was there I was browsing the games & spotted the Pikmin 3 guide - knowing how old it was, I was curious if they had marked it down any & scanned it at the price checker. Was shocked to see it at .02 since it's been FOREVER since I've come across penny guides in the wild (I have some friends at GS that will hold some for me, but that's it). Scanned all the other guides in the Nintendo section, came away w/ one each of:

Pikmin 3

Lego City Undercover

Nintendo Land

DKC Returns 3D

Luigi's Mansion

After the lady checked me out, she called someone on the radio & then said (to me, I guess) "We're gonna have to get those off the floor!".  Oh well, I got what I wanted and my days of hoarding guides are LONG gone - getting rid of my dupes took forever and I ended up giving the last of them to a local mom & pop shop last year just to have them out of the house. 

I actually got those as well except for Nintendo Land.  They didn't have it but I did get the Theif guide for 2 cents.  The woman who rang me up was surprised and didn't seem to care that they were so cheap.  I was going back and forth from the guides to the price scanner just to make sure they were the cent guides.  A Link Between Worlds is 2 cents as well.

Went to the Toys R Us in Pineville South Carolina. Had plenty of all  the Guides listed however they would not sell them. Told me they could not sell them as they were recalled by the Vendor and they had to return them.  They were going to pull all of them off the shelf as i was leaving.  I was on my luch break so not really any time to convince them otherwise. Oh well, you win some you lose some. Congrats to those who are getting them.

I managed to get 3 guides but, after I left, realized I forgot the Zelda: LBW.  Went back about 30-40 minutes later and they had pulled all of the remaining guides.  Oh well, at least I got the ones I did.

Sucks there were none at the only store in Hawaii, they must have pulled them or someone grabbed them earlier. I remember seeing all those $0.02 guides a month ago when they were full price. 

Passing an out of the way TRU ( now that the roads aren't so damn icy ! ) Figured why not look ?

[attachment=12036:F1VCYP39.jpg]

TRU Asleep at the wheel here , employee behind my cashier made a beeline to the section ( guessing to pull the rest or buy the rest ) :)

Thanks everyone who reported this drop, I lucked out and got  DKC, Thief, & Watch Dogs.  First penny guide score in years for me.  I thought I was getting shut down as the employee called the manager when he saw everything ring up at .02.  The manager said to scan all the guides and pull everything that rang up at that price, but he said I could buy the ones I picked out. 

This watch dogs guide is almost the size of a phone book.

Wow, didn't even know TRU sold guides.  Probably never noticed cuz I only buy the CE guides.  Guess you could make a couple of bucks on these though selling them for a few dollars.  Congrats to those who are getting $.02 guides though -- can't beat that price!

Passing an out of the way TRU ( now that the roads aren't so damn icy ! ) Figured why not look ?

F1VCYP39.jpg

TRU Asleep at the wheel here , employee behind my cashier made a beeline to the section ( guessing to pull the rest or buy the rest )
the_adventures_of_el_hoardo__by_adkreations-d5nvwtp.jpg

I hadn't even seen this thread update, I just went into my local TRU yesterday afternoon to check out their Amiibo selection. While I was there I was browsing the games & spotted the Pikmin 3 guide - knowing how old it was, I was curious if they had marked it down any & scanned it at the price checker. Was shocked to see it at .02 since it's been FOREVER since I've come across penny guides in the wild (I have some friends at GS that will hold some for me, but that's it). Scanned all the other guides in the Nintendo section, came away w/ one each of:

After the lady checked me out, she called someone on the radio & then said (to me, I guess) "We're gonna have to get those off the floor!". Oh well, I got what I wanted and my days of hoarding guides are LONG gone - getting rid of my dupes took forever and I ended up giving the last of them to a local mom & pop shop last year just to have them out of the house.

F1VCYP39.jpg

TRU Asleep at the wheel here , employee behind my cashier made a beeline to the section ( guessing to pull the rest or buy the rest ) :)

spacegundam I'm curious as to why you took so many guides. To his each own, just wondering, especially with the highlighted quite above.

Because they had multiples left. I also have 6 childern of my own , 13 nieces and newphews. All of whom are gamers. I also give some to co-workers and if no one is interested in trading I'll simply donate to my local library seeing as they have there own sizable collection of video games to check out. I do not bother to resell on ebay or Amazon way to much of a hassle. Not to mention. Most TRU by now have discarded the guides already. Garbage or hand out and make someone's day with a cheap/freebie guide. Easy choice. Also it seems to peeve people off sorry there Dewayne wade !

Because they had multiples left. I also have 6 childern of my own , 13 nieces and newphews. All of whom are gamers. I also give some to co-workers and if no one is interested in trading I'll simply donate to my local library seeing as they have there own sizable collection of video games to check out. I do not bother to resell on ebay or Amazon way to much of a hassle. Not to mention. Most TRU by now have discarded the guides already. Garbage or hand out and make someone's day with a cheap/freebie guide. Easy choice. Also it seems to peeve people off sorry there Dewayne wade !
I was just teasing you. I forgot about that picture, and I saw somebody post that in another thread earlier today, so I was looking for an excuse to use it.

The employees would have pulled the guides whether you bought one or all of them, so it's not like anyone else missed out.

Well they will be up for trade mostly as I had Luigi And animal crossing which have been claimed. If I'm lucky I'll get a Titanfall and a Theif from all of this. Family and friends are like locusts when there are freebies. Plus I like collecting guides

For a laugh and old times these are some of the guides that were on my book case that will end up in my game room due to new guides

[attachment=12037:LO5MC1OE.jpg]

Back before penny guides and when Electronic Boutique / Babbage's were still around :)

For a laugh and old times these are some of the guides that were on my book case that will end up in my game room due to new guides

LO5MC1OE.jpg

Back before penny guides and when Electronic Boutique / Babbage's were still around :)
Man the nostalgia there. I remember reading the FF7 guide in grade school and just jonesing to get home and play... I still have some of those too.

Yeah I could never part with them or throw them away. My wife was like are you insane? That was of course before her parents were moving and we cleaned up their house. Then...I found the motherload of NKOTB merchandise. Including dolls tour van stage stationary bed sheets and a satin monogram tour jacket. Yeah guess who doesn't get teased about his video game memorabilia anymore . :)

attachicon.gif
F1VCYP39.jpg

Alright, so I'll trade you a Pikmin 3 guide for ALBW.

I have carefully reviewed your post, and I'm fairly confident it's not in that glorious pile. Or maybe it is, and there's so many guides I can't even process them all at once. It's blinding!

We got P3 and sadly or more blasphemy we paid full price for it. Kids are nuts about that series. If you have other guides to trade hit me up. Also worth checking out at TRU they have plush Pikmins ( at full price )

I was able to get the following from my local TRU:

Halo 4 x2

Titanfall

Watch Dogs

Thief

Lego Chima

I'm Looking for:

Hyrule Warriors

Luigi's Mansion

Pikmin 3

Lego City Undercover

DKC Returns 3D

Nintendo Land

Willing to trade or possibly buy...might have more guides to trade, will update later.

attachicon.gif
LO5MC1OE.jpg

I had to buy a bigger book shelf for my game guides. Thankfully I found one for like $40 that was solid wood from Home Depot. Those fiberboard cheap shelves suck ass for guides due to how heavy they are....

http://i.imgur.com/3rsS5ek.jpg

found an AC III for .01, but checkout went something like this...

"These are really cheap."

Yeah. wow.

(Continues scanning)

"Hold on let me get a manager."

Did lots of swearing in my car after.

My Dad hit a TRU while he was on the road. He said he spent 32 cents, so I am happy. :)

I hit my local store and I didn't see anything yesterday.
I was waiting for someone from Chicago to post so I could feel less bad about not making a circuit like in the good ol' days. :beer:

Went to my TRU and there were very few guides left. Only managed to get a Luigi's Mansion and bought a LEGO set to mask the purchase. Gonna return it the next time I'm in the area. Didn't seem to work so well, as she had a suspicious look on her face after she rung up the guide, but she allowed it anyway. Better than nothing.

Last night I grabbed

Pikmin 3

Luigi's Mansion

Animal Crossing

The cashier got on her walkie talkie and had the rest of the guides pulled while I was checking out. She said "It must be your lucky day"

Hopefully I can find the Zelda one today when I check the other TRU in my area.

Well go figure Amazon isn't taking any more of these when I get some breathing room from classwork. Didn't see or know about them pulling stuff when the prices go this low. What do they do with them? Send them back? Trash them? Seems silly.

Even though they had a lot of stuff they only had maybe 3-4 copies of everything, Nintendo stuff was kinda barren. In case it didn't go through, I didn't want to carry like 10 guides around the store to the counter. Got 4 guides altogether, two Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, and one Halo 4. Haven't played any of them and I have no plans to anytime soon, so meh.

The employee called to the back and only about the 3 game guides I bought, so I wonder if everything else will still be there. Rather wait for a shift change if I do go back.These will probably just sit around collecting dust, so I'm probably better off for not getting a dozen or so of these guides.

I hit two TRU stores yesterday.  One was a complete waste, as they had pulled their $0.02 guides.  The other one was a bit of a goldmine, as they had a number of guides to pick up.  Ended up with singles of the following:

Pikimin 3

Thief

DK Country Returns 3D

Lego City Undercover

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

LoZ: ALBTW

Had other ones besides those guides, though those were the only ones I needed/wanted.   The cashier seemed a bit perturbed when I had other guides to check and when they rang up as full price and she had to void them out, needing a manager to override the purchase due to the amount of the voids.  Oh well, sorry to have caused you 2 minutes worth of grief. :roll:

I hit two TRU stores yesterday. One was a complete waste, as they had pulled their $0.02 guides. The other one was a bit of a goldmine, as they had a number of guides to pick up. Ended up with singles of the following:

Pikimin 3

Thief

DK Country Returns 3D

Lego City Undercover

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

LoZ: ALBTW

Had other ones besides those guides, though those were the only ones I needed/wanted. The cashier seemed a bit perturbed when I had other guides to check and when they rang up as full price and she had to void them out, needing a manager to override the purchase due to the amount of the voids. Oh well, sorry to have caused you 2 minutes worth of grief. :roll:
Calling in a manager can make a shitbird middle manager think the cashier is up to something shady, so there's that grief too.

I hit up the other TRU in town and found LoZ: ALBTW

Thanks for all the updates. The only guide I was still hoping to find was Lego City Undercover.

The cashier was very cool and remarked that "we must be trying to get rid of these" 

Well go figure Amazon isn't taking any more of these when I get some breathing room from classwork. Didn't see or know about them pulling stuff when the prices go this low. What do they do with them? Send them back? Trash them? Seems silly.

Even though they had a lot of stuff they only had maybe 3-4 copies of everything, Nintendo stuff was kinda barren. In case it didn't go through, I didn't want to carry like 10 guides around the store to the counter. Got 4 guides altogether, two Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, and one Halo 4. Haven't played any of them and I have no plans to anytime soon, so meh.

The employee called to the back and only about the 3 game guides I bought, so I wonder if everything else will still be there. Rather wait for a shift change if I do go back.These will probably just sit around collecting dust, so I'm probably better off for not getting a dozen or so of these guides.

Penny guides and this forum are not here for you to make a profit on.

Thanks for making that call, chief, and the double post.

It needs to be said. If I find guides, I used to pick up one of each. At TRU on Monday I saw nearly all of the guides there and I didn't pick up a single one. Either didn't want them or had the collectors editions and no need for the standard.

When someone goes and grabs/hoards several of the, it sets off red flags and will get them pulled. It ruins it for everyone else. Which is why I addressed it, as people like that ruin this site, just like SD.

I finally got a chance to go to Toys R Us today. They didn't have much, just 2 copies of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. They weren't in great condition either. I took them both anyway. I-I took them both because I was sure they would take it off the shelf and liquidate it if I didn't. Honest. The guy didn't bat an eye and just told me the total was $.04. Guess I worried over nothing. I tried paying with credit card at first but it wouldn't go through probably because the value was too low. So I just broke a dollar.

I'm keeping one since I got the game from Club Nintendo last year. But the other is up for tradesies. I'll provide pics so you can judge the condition yourself. The cover is creased and it's worn around the edges. What I'm REALLY looking for is the Xillia2 guide, and I'm willing to throw in a little paypal(like $5) for it. But realistically, I doubt anyone's gonna part with that so my next want is the Zelda LBW guide.

Btw, I scanned the 4 in 1 guide just to check and that one's still at full price.

bread's done
Back