Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Smash is definitely the rare find this time around.
My local prestige location has at least five copies in their storeroom waiting to be destroyed...I went in for a 4/$20 deal and inquired about any clearance strategy guides. The guy looked up Smash hardcover at my suggestion, confirmed they had stock by showing me their system showing in-stock, and then apologized for being unable to sell one to me, saying “Anything that rings up as a penny needs to be sent back to the manufacturer to be destroyed due to not selling.” You guys who actually get penny guides are pretty fortunate, I gotta say. I’ve had no luck whatsoever no matter what I try, including playing dumb and giving as little info as possible. Maybe it’s my face...? :D

My local prestige location has at least five copies in their storeroom waiting to be destroyed...I went in for a 4/$20 deal and inquired about any clearance strategy guides. The guy looked up Smash hardcover at my suggestion, confirmed they had stock by showing me their system showing in-stock, and then apologized for being unable to sell one to me, saying “Anything that rings up as a penny needs to be sent back to the manufacturer to be destroyed due to not selling.” You guys who actually get penny guides are pretty fortunate, I gotta say. I’ve had no luck whatsoever no matter what I try, including playing dumb and giving as little info as possible. Maybe it’s my face...? :D
No its not you! The very first experience i had with GS has been similar since. It was about 15-20 yrs ago. I had recently gotten my 1st console and put a few games on my Xmas list and ended up with a duplicate game. My Gma saidd she'd purchased the game new at GS. So the day after Xmas i took the game still in shrinkwrap (course now a days i think they still open new games) to my local GS and told them the situation. I asked to simply swap the game for another newer AAA game. I didn't ask for cash or for a more expensive game like a collectors edition. The guy asked if i had a receipt (this was at a time before any stores had return policies or offered gift receipts) and i explained i did not because i didn't want to hurt my Gma's feeling that she'd got me a dup gift plus who knows if she still had receipt. So the guy tells me that the ONLY option is to break the seal on the brand new $60 game and open it, then he could give me $9 of in store credit as a used game. I left with my new game and took it to Walmart which gave me cash (ah those were the days!). So you can only imagine the times i tried to get a penny guide (i think i walked out with 1 soft cover because my wife screamed it was on the shelf so they had to sell it). I hate GS!

No its not you! The very first experience i had with GS has been similar since. It was about 15-20 yrs ago. I had recently gotten my 1st console and put a few games on my Xmas list and ended up with a duplicate game. My Gma saidd she'd purchased the game new at GS. So the day after Xmas i took the game still in shrinkwrap (course now a days i think they still open new games) to my local GS and told them the situation. I asked to simply swap the game for another newer AAA game. I didn't ask for cash or for a more expensive game like a collectors edition. The guy asked if i had a receipt (this was at a time before any stores had return policies or offered gift receipts) and i explained i did not because i didn't want to hurt my Gma's feeling that she'd got me a dup gift plus who knows if she still had receipt. So the guy tells me that the ONLY option is to break the seal on the brand new $60 game and open it, then he could give me $9 of in store credit as a used game. I left with my new game and took it to Walmart which gave me cash (ah those were the days!). So you can only imagine the times i tried to get a penny guide (i think i walked out with 1 soft cover because my wife screamed it was on the shelf so they had to sell it). I hate GS!
My first experience with GS as adult they tried to sell me an open PS3 game as new when it already opened and who knows if someone scratched it or took a code. I grabbed an ad and said f*** that. I went to Walmart in the same shopping and priced matched GS price. I work retail myself so I understand theft issues. GS could ask their supplier for cardboard or plastic pictures of the game case. Then keep the sealed copies of the game at the counter or in the back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My first experience with GS as adult they tried to sell me an open PS3 game as new when it already opened and who knows if someone scratched it or took a code. I grabbed an ad and said f*** that. I went to Walmart in the same shopping and priced matched GS price. I work retail myself so I understand theft issues. GS could ask their supplier for cardboard or plastic pictures of the game case. Then keep the sealed copies of the game at the counter or in the back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Exactly, that game is no longer new once they break the seal imo.

Then there was the time i used their website to put a hold on Aliens Colonial Marines Collectors Edition that was on sale for like $10. It was Monday at 8pm and confirmation email said they'd hold it for 2 days. So Wednesday late afternoon i go to pick up and the manager said they already sold it because Monday and Tuesday counted as my 2 days. GameStop can F off if u ask me!

Exactly, that game is no longer new once they break the seal imo.

Then there was the time i used their website to put a hold on Aliens Colonial Marines Collectors Edition that was on sale for like $10. It was Monday at 8pm and confirmation email said they'd hold it for 2 days. So Wednesday late afternoon i go to pick up and the manager said they already sold it because Monday and Tuesday counted as my 2 days. GameStop can F off if u ask me!

There's no opinion involved, opened is opened. And the 'new' copies that are gutted are absolutely NOT new. I know this with 100% certainty. These copies of the games are rented/checked out by employees to play when they choose to. They are effectively demo copies, like a demo car that everyone can test drive.

There's no opinion involved, opened is opened. And the 'new' copies that are gutted are absolutely NOT new. I know this with 100% certainty. These copies of the games are rented/checked out by employees to play when they choose to. They are effectively demo copies, like a demo car that everyone can test drive.
Yes i've heard tis as well, the employees take the "new" games home overnight.

Then there was the time i was trading in 3 or 4 games. One of which was so badly scratched that i had doubts they would even take it. The other games had some scuff marks but nothing beyond normal wear. This 1st thing that annoyed me is the manager, a big fat guy, was too busy to help me when it appeared he was simply reading his computer screen. So i waited for the Emo girl with jet black hair to finish with her customer. When it was my turn for them to rip me off the Emo never looked at me once and never mentioned there would be a refurb charge. I didn't find out until i saw it on the transaction screen. So i asked why i was being billed for that on all the games? She then picked up the badly mangled one, flashed the shiney side and shrugged her shoulders. Meanwhile fatso just stood there smirking. I would have went to a different store but it wasn't worth an hour of my time for $6 bucks plus i was still getting double my $ on the flip. So instead i left Emo a nasty review on the survey and stated i want that $6 added to my account. So then fatty called and left me a voicemail saying if i wanted to talk about it to call him. NO i Don't Want To Talk About It, i Want My $ You Sorry @$$ Fat Piece Of S#&%! So i haven't been back to that location and only do the rare flips when i can double or triple my profit.

Good for you, I'm glad you stuck up for yourself and didn't let them push you around.

Does anyone know why the penny guides have died out lately? I remember several years back it was very easy to get penny guides and then out of nowhere it's like they just disappeared.
We all decided as a group that it was morally wrong to exploit GameStop and guide publishers. We all sleep much better at night knowing we never have to worry about being permanently banned from GameStop

This is a very sad week, and I’m sorry to announce it looks to be the end of an era. On 7/3 the final strategy guide sold at gamestop, Red Dead Redemption 2 hardcover, finally pennied out. It was the last holdout after a couple months of nothing since the last big drop. Over the next coming days perhaps we should set up a memorial and everyone can share their peace. =(

This is a very sad week, and I’m sorry to announce it looks to be the end of an era. On 7/3 the final strategy guide sold at gamestop, Red Dead Redemption 2 hardcover, finally pennied out. It was the last holdout after a couple months of nothing since the last big drop. Over the next coming days perhaps we should set up a memorial and everyone can share their peace. =(

So sad. Penny guides started my eBay resellers biz 20 years ago. I then branched off and sold many things video game related. But with Best Buy stop selling penny guides and the handfuls of businesses that sold used games going out of biz i unfortunately haven't sold anything on eBay in years. Farewell sweet penny guides, farewell!

Website locator still showing stores have the Pokemon Strategy guide for $11.

Stopped at a store on the way to a family party was pleasantly surprised

[attachment=32445:20190707_193952.jpg]

If its true its been a hell of a long ride penny guides !

Website locator still showing stores have the Pokemon Strategy guide for $11.
That’s been out for a good three years now, and no idea why it hasn’t pennied. There are no actual guides listed any longer that are current. The limited box set you mentioned is a clearance item as well.

Stopped at a store on the way to a family party was pleasantly surprised
attachicon.gif
20190707_193952.jpg
If its true its been a hell of a long ride penny guides !
It’s true unfortunately. =(

Congrats on the find. I hope you got that RDR2 guide at a ‘reduced price’!

With the things that come in it, I'm surprised it wasn't that price (or a little higher) at launch. $130 is ridiculous.
Honestly even if I got it for free, I would hesitate to take it as it would just end up sitting in my attic for the next decade until I finally toss it if I moved.

Is the canteen or flashlight of quality built at all?
Here's a pretty long-winded unboxing. It looks like both the flashlight and the canteen (and canteen cup) are definitely more than just toy props to put on a shelf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=398sUd3_fHc

HILARIOUS! You know lately when I see this thread get a bump, I wonder. What has that sad sack been up to? No joke this past Halloween we gave out candy and I handed out extra guides as well. It was a hit with kids and adults. Got plenty left may do it again next year.

The moderators do. not. fool. around. in. this. thread. Any shenanigans results in instant termination, it seems. Unless you make fun of those who start it. Right now, I'm keeping my mouth shut.
if I am not mistaken the troll(s) is just one specific member who makes new names and posts to just mess with us veterans.

I have to say I’m shocked that gamestop still has guides. I thought the Red Dead 2 was the last bastion.

bread's done
Back