Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='k1ngster']@imcheap
If you're interest in the guide, pm him. Stop telling him what to do.. Not everyone here is greedy and sending the guides to make "profit" as he stated above.[/QUOTE]
So giving him common sense advice that he should sell the valuable ones to support his gaming hobby(Assassin's Creed II CE) and pull the CE and popular game series guides and ONLY trade those for ones he wants/needs is seen as 'greedy' now? :rofl: Whatever.

Figured I'd do the opposite of our good natured friend (Punisher). Found a used Resident Evil Archives at a local book store for 14.99. Snatched it right up! Definitely using the profits to fund my gaming habit. This is the only non-penny guide I've found in the wild that's actually worth something (and priced cheap). :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sorted about 100 guides from my trade collection to try my hand at the family garage sale tomorrow. We'll see if anyone bites. They'll go to half price books or similar when they don't sell.

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']Seriously, IATCG, not many people would sell their pennied guides for tons like you would. It's not good and it is greedy.[/QUOTE]
Not many? I guess that's why Amazon and eBay have a bunch of them? Just because you get something for a penny doesn't mean you HAVE to give it back away to someone else FOR a penny or for only shipping costs, especially if it has actual value above and beyond the cover price.

If it has that, then you'd be insane to actually be nice and give em away super cheap. But like you said, not everybody is 'greedy'(I see it as smart) like me.:booty:

[quote name='sephiroth61787']Managed to pick up a Pokemon B/W CE guide for a penny at BB. They had a yellow sticker over the barcodes of all the guides they had. Even stuff that wasn't pennied yet. I took the sticker off so they could scan it and bought a Blu-Ray with it.

I'll probably sell the other one I have or trade it for a CE guide I want.[/QUOTE]

I picked up a Dragon Age 2 collectors edition guide from best buy. It had that yellow barcode sticker and it still scanned at a penny.

[quote name='elrobo8']Two more guides at Toys R Us. Bakugan was mentioned several pages earlier but it wasn't added to the OP for some reason. I'll take care of that.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky
Bakugan Battle Brawlers
[/QUOTE]

I must have missed that. It has been added to the master list.

Burbank, CA: Empire Center GS

There's a copy of the UFC Encyclopedia on their single guide rack. The dust jacket is pretty messed up, but the rest of it looked to be in great shape.

I wasn't interested, so I left it for another CAG.

[quote name='JSD']Burbank, CA: Empire Center GS

There's a copy of the UFC Encyclopedia on their single guide rack. The dust jacket is pretty messed up, but the rest of it looked to be in great shape.

I wasn't interested, so I left it for another CAG.[/QUOTE]

I thought they took that one down...Cool, I'll have to go check it out later. Nice to meet another Burbank CAG! Slim pickings in these parts :cry:

I know that this is not a trading forum. I listed this along time ago for trades, but no one wanted to trade (like other guides or swag)
I kind of gave up on guides because Im not into that stuff and besides I got the guides I wanted which is Resident Evil 5, Zelda ST CE, Disney CE, and Gears of War 2 CE.

TO ALL CAG THAT PM ME. LIST GIUDES U WANT AND U DETERMINE THE COST OF SHIPPING BECAUSE I HAVE NO CLUE ON IT. MY ZIP CODE IS 20876.
I CAN ALSO MEET IN MONTGOMERY MALL , Maryland.
Remember, the guides listed x1 or x2 is the number I have and are sealed unless noted by "(Not Seal)". Most Not sealed guides listed are in great to almost new condition, but of course without the sealed wrap on it. The not sealed with ok condition is beat to hell and looks like it was sitting on the BB shelf for a long time. I hope I made it clean.

Here is the list: Tron Wii x2
GoldenEye 007 Wii x2
Resident Evil 5 x2
Legend of zelda ST x1
Assassin Creed 2 x1 (Not seal)
Super Scribblenauts x1 (Not seal)
Pokemon Ranger GS x1 (not Seal)
Blood Stone 007 x1 (Not Seal)
Lego Indiana Jones 2 x1 (not seal,ok condition)
Prince of Persia FS x1 (not seal. ok condition)
Castlevania LoS x1 (not seal)
Alan Wake x1 (not seal)
Medal of Honor CE x3 (Note: 1 Not Seal)
Splinter Cell Conviction x1
Duke Forever CE x1
Star Wars force unleashed 2 CE x2
Dead Rising 2 x 2
Metroid Other M x2
Spider SD x1 (not Seal. back corner bend fold.More like the bottom right)
Fear 3 x1 (not seal)
x2 Bioshock 2 CE ArtBook, CD, Record 12 player and the 3 posters (this is from the CE edition for xbox 360)

PS I apologize if I havent got to everyone PM. I had volunteer for Montgomery County Wste and Solid sevices and had to work yesterday. I also got to work open to close today, so I will read everyone PM on Monday.

Sorry not trying to clutter up here just mentioning that i have several hundred guides up for sale\trade. trade list in my sig as well as below.

floormats guides n stuff trade list

Oh and for what its worth many are pennied of course and several were paid for as well as I was not able to get them at a penny. Thanks.

Not that anyone probably cares, but I finally got around to updating my guide want/trade list. My trade list actually has a good mix of pennied guides and older guides that people actually would care about (i.e. Zeldas, Grandia, The Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasys, etc.). Maybe some of you active hunters will find something you've been looking for? Only catch is that I'm only hunting for specific guides as well (either Zeldas, Final Fantasys, or Dragon Quests). Check it out in the trade thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9645367#post9645367

[quote name='JSD']Burbank, CA: Empire Center GS

I wasn't interested, so I left it for another CAG.[/QUOTE]

guide was gone

dunno if pulled or taken

i did that with guides and game mags (gamepro, egm, nintendo power) except i also brought a pen and scrap paper to copy down the cheat codes and drew simplified versions of the level maps. :D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

But gantt touched on the other subject, that being that some folks come in to 'browse' and will flip through guides till they find a part they're stuck on and stand there and read how to beat it without buying the guide.

I know I used to do this back in the day(Genesis/PS1 era) even when guides were only $10-15 each.;)[/QUOTE]

I'm a gs in Vegas, they haven't gotten their price change sheet yet. Right now the ME shirts are still $8 and both guides are $10 each.

Here in west Texas got 2 shirts and one copy each of the Lego guides. They had over 20 shirts but would only do one per person or two if pur member. Then again that's just my store.

[quote name='GILiveRadio']Here in west Texas got 2 shirts and one copy each of the Lego guides. They had over 20 shirts but would only do one per person or two if pur member. Then again that's just my store.[/QUOTE]

Still people can't say which store. Ah, the fog of war.

[quote name='gantt']Still people can't say which store. Ah, the fog of war.[/QUOTE]

If you name the store, people get fired. If you want to know the name of a store, PM the poster. It's hard enough to get penny guides without calling out the people who were nice enough to do it, and watching them get fired for doing so...

[quote name='hellmutt']If you name the store, people get fired. If you want to know the name of a store, PM the poster. It's hard enough to get penny guides without calling out the people who were nice enough to do it, and watching them get fired for doing so...[/QUOTE]

Exactly! I know people at this GS and they hook me up all the time since they know I dont flip the free/cheap stuff I get from them. If you really want to know just pm me and I'll tell you. Just don't screw over fellow CAGs and take their entire stock.

[quote name='Game Rogue']Picked up ME shirts and both Lego guides. Also, Asassins Creed Revelations guide was pennied.[/QUOTE]

might have to check my store for ACR guide. i think i saw one the other day. hopefully its still there. hehe!

[quote name='Game Rogue']Picked up ME shirts and both Lego guides. Also, Asassins Creed Revelations guide was pennied.[/QUOTE]

soft or LE? LE usually drops first and it has not yet to my knowledge.

[quote name='hellmutt']If you name the store, people get fired. If you want to know the name of a store, PM the poster. It's hard enough to get penny guides without calling out the people who were nice enough to do it, and watching them get fired for doing so...[/QUOTE]

My point was that nobody had (or has) confirmed "GameStop" or "Best Buy" or "TRU". I don't see how identifying that gets anybody fired. It's been standard practice in these threads for years. I'm not expecting the specific location. At this point, I'm assuming GameStop, but it's not really that hard to add 2 letters to a post.

[quote name='gantt']My point was that nobody had (or has) confirmed "GameStop" or "Best Buy" or "TRU". I don't see how identifying that gets anybody fired. It's been standard practice in these threads for years. At this point, I'm assuming GameStop, but it's not really that hard to add 2 letters to a post.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. I had determined GS since GILiveRadio had mentioned being a pur member.

[quote name='Romeo']Today's drops:

Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
Lego Star Wars Clone Wars
Mass Effect 3 t-shirts (various sizes)[/QUOTE]
So the DM's home office store in Wilkes-Barre hooked you up again? That is absolute crap, considering the guff I always got from him and his lil drones at that store. I think the people working there have probably worked there almost as long as he has and they're just as much of a bunch of asswipes like he is most times, especially that really old pedo looking d-bag.

[quote name='nixmahn']soft or LE? LE usually drops first and it has not yet to my knowledge.[/QUOTE]

It was the soft cover of Assassins Creed Revelations that was pennied with ME shirts and the Lego guides at gs today.

Got ASSASSIN'S CREED REVELATIONS regular guide for a penny. Thanks for the update. I actually didn't pay it anymore. The staff said it was free and handed it back to me. Always nice to go to my local store. Hehe!

If I don't work tomorrow, I'm gonna be taking a trip to my GS. I haven't had luck with any guides there in months and I don't think I ever even saw the N7 stuff, but it could be worth checking out anyway.

Last time I went to GS to snag a penny guide the girl told me "a memo was sent out giving specific instructions on how to dispose of pennied guides" then she cut the front cover off she said she couldn't keep me from getting it (the cover) out of the dumpster...jusy kinda looked at her like what the fuck and left with my coverless guide. That was about 2 months ago. Anyone else have this happen to them?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So the DM's home office store in Wilkes-Barre hooked you up again? That is absolute crap, considering the guff I always got from him and his lil drones at that store. I think the people working there have probably worked there almost as long as he has and they're just as much of a bunch of asswipes like he is most times, especially that really old pedo looking d-bag.[/QUOTE]

You're actually entirely wrong, and please do not bad mouth anyone. Did I say I had any pick ups? I only mentioned what dropped.

As far as the DM is concerned, he's a very tough and firm boss, yet a great guy when you know him. He's worked his way up from being a regular rep ten years ago to get where he is today.

[quote name='kudzero']Last time I went to GS to snag a penny guide the girl told me "a memo was sent out giving specific instructions on how to dispose of pennied guides" then she cut the front cover off she said she couldn't keep me from getting it (the cover) out of the dumpster...jusy kinda looked at her like what the fuck and left with my coverless guide. That was about 2 months ago. Anyone else have this happen to them?[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'd take that as an insult; however, there used to be dumpster diving threads around here... so tag this on the front post for the people that really want that front cover.

[quote name='Romeo']You're actually entirely wrong, and please do not bad mouth anyone. Did I say I had any pick ups? I only mentioned what dropped.

As far as the DM is concerned, he's a very tough and firm boss, yet a great guy when you know him. He's worked his way up from being a regular rep ten years ago to get where he is today.[/QUOTE]

Why let facts and reasonable thinking get in the way of a baseless and irrational rant?

[quote name='Romeo']You're actually entirely wrong, and please do not bad mouth anyone. Did I say I had any pick ups? I only mentioned what dropped.[/quote]
No you did not. As for bad mouthing them, I only give back what I'm given. Both the DM and multiple employees at that store were toolbags to me at one time or another, so they get what they have given. Between the DM accusing me of stealing a Dual Shock 3 without just coming right out and saying it to his rude employees who were usually only sunshine and smiles when you'd offer to pre-order something with them, they don't deserve any better.
As far as the DM is concerned, he's a very tough and firm boss, yet a great guy when you know him. He's worked his way up from being a regular rep ten years ago to get where he is today.
I've heard how much of a pita he is from numerous employees across most of the local stores. Like I said, the only store that doesn't seem to talk shit on him is his home office store. But that's likely cuz they're all buddies. But yeah, I remember him being a normal rep ten years ago at the Steamtown store. He was the dickwad who ALWAYS tried to refurb fee me on my mint/complete games and pushed, pushed, pushed for the pre-orders and magazine sales even after you'd say no 20x and just glare at him like 'stfu already'.:roll:

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Wow, I'd take that as an insult; however, there used to be dumpster diving threads around here... so tag this on the front post for the people that really want that front cover.[/QUOTE]
Some stores will still destroy the covers of guides and other products before tossing them in the dumpster. Whether it's company policy or just orders from one manager/district manager/regional manager or not it varies. So you won't always get 100% unadulterated products, even if you DD for them. This is especially true if the GS or other stores share a dumpster with other stores, particularly food chains like Subway and such.:whistle2:&

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So the DM's home office store in Wilkes-Barre hooked you up again? That is absolute crap, considering the guff I always got from him and his lil drones at that store. I think the people working there have probably worked there almost as long as he has and they're just as much of a bunch of asswipes like he is most times, especially that really old pedo looking d-bag.[/QUOTE]

This is completely unfair. You should write a letter to the publishers again because other people are getting guides and you're not.

:roll:

-----

As for destroying the covers: that's the normal way to "destroy" books for credit from publishers. Please stop hating on employees for actually doing their job.

[quote name='confoosious']This is completely unfair. You should write a letter to the publishers again because other people are getting guides and you're not.

:roll:[/quote]
Not gonna let that go, huh?;) And you say I'm repetitive?
As for destroying the covers: that's the normal way to "destroy" books for credit from publishers. Please stop hating on employees for actually doing their job.
I know it's their job, but very few of the GS stores around here ever really did that 100% unless the DM put out an order to specifically hold the items till he got there like he did with the old SNES games and what not that were left when the classic plastic got zeroed out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not gonna let that go, huh?;) And you say I'm repetitive?

I know it's their job, but very few of the GS stores around here ever really did that 100% unless the DM put out an order to specifically hold the items till he got there like he did with the old SNES games and what not that were left when the classic plastic got zeroed out.[/QUOTE]

Talk about not letting stuff go.

You're right. But that was just about two years ago and I only really heard of it second hand from an employee who said the DM told them to hold everything till he could personally destroy it.

bread's done
Back