Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to get a FuturePress Soul Calibur V guide today for just $5. It's in pretty good condition, but the person who closed it closed it on a few pages, so I'm trying to unfold them by keeping it pressed down for a couple days.

It's a nice guide, but it's up for trade, for the record.

not able to confirm, but few posts up someone posted TRU guides, I'll resay them but in the hot pink color I guess =P

Toys R Us
Halo Reach
God of War 3
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

[quote name='josb101']not able to confirm, but few posts up someone posted TRU guides, I'll resay them but in the hot pink color I guess =P

Toys R Us
Halo Reach
God of War 3
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
[/QUOTE]

These are all real.

Only found GoW at my TRU. Better than nothing. There's a Spirit Tracks guide there, which I believe was pennied, but it has no UPC. I think there was something else attached to the guide, a poster or something, which had the UPC. Guess that guide will be sitting there forever. Also there was a Pokemon HG/SS Pokedex or guide or something that also might have been pennied, but there was a new UPC sticker covering the old one, and try as I might, I could not get it off. The sticker kept ripping.

Nope, it looks like neither of those were pennied. Or at least not verified being pennied.

Seriously..... I've always said to myself make sure I read the forums if I'm out of time and on the road for the day. I was JUST in a TRU hours ago.......

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']Medal of Honor, maybe. Duke Nukem ForNever? HELL NO![/QUOTE]

It actually seems the other way around judging by Amazon and eBay prices.

[quote name='neocisco']I managed to get a CoD:MW2 at TRU today. Thanks for posting those, josb101.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed a Halo Reach guide today at TRU. Aren't MW2 guides quite old by now?

[quote name='GILiveRadio']I think duke nukem is a penny if you can find one at best buy.[/QUOTE]
That it is. I have the hardcover version from my last successful haul from a BB store when the pennied guides were still ringing up as $.01 and able to be added to a transaction at the registers.

What's even better is that I think these were from the furthest BB store where the employees were normally hardasses and would deny me every time I found some.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That it is. I have the hardcover version from my last successful haul from a BB store when the pennied guides were still ringing up as $.01 and able to be added to a transaction at the registers.

What's even better is that I think these were from the furthest BB store where the employees were normally hardasses and would deny me every time I found some.[/QUOTE]

I've never been able to snag a penny guide at Best Buy. They're ALWAYS gone right away. I don't think I have many CAGs in my area because I usually have no trouble finding deals, so it must be that my BB employees are just really on top of things.

Its a sad day when CAG'ers major source of penny guide are from getting years old guides from TRU. Got 2 Goldern Sun's myself recently.

[quote name='nixmahn']Its a sad day when CAG'ers major source of penny guide are from getting years old guides from TRU. Got 2 Goldern Sun's myself recently.[/QUOTE]

I've been hunting for that, never found one.

Yeah, but what have they actually sold at? Anyone can ask for any price for anything. Only 2 used copies have sold on ebay this month, $15 and $13, and 2 sealed copies, $10 and $34 (an anomaly).

[quote name='Tsel']I managed to get a FuturePress Soul Calibur V guide today for just $5. It's in pretty good condition, but the person who closed it closed it on a few pages, so I'm trying to unfold them by keeping it pressed down for a couple days.

It's a nice guide, but it's up for trade, for the record.[/QUOTE]
From where?
(Not in the op or the last few pages)

[quote name='PublikDefender']From where?
(Not in the op or the last few pages)[/QUOTE]

I assume used from somewhere. I believe these come sealed.

[quote name='Romeo']I assume used from somewhere. I believe these come sealed.[/QUOTE]
Actually I think many stores may shrinkwrap their own guides anymore due to people treating the guide racks like a library at times.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually I think many stores may shrinkwrap their own guides anymore due to people treating the guide racks like a library at times.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Actually, they come wrapped because guides now often come with DLC.

Futurepress guides, at least hardcover, do come sealed though.

Interesting. Although I only know of one guide with DLC out right now(Saint's Row 3). I'm sure there are more, but I know that's the only one I've seen clearly advertising it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Interesting. Although I only know of one guide with DLC out right now(Saint's Row 3). I'm sure there are more, but I know that's the only one I've seen clearly advertising it.[/QUOTE]

Darksider 2 has dlc. Fable 3 did also I believe.

Like I said, I only really knew about the one that was marked with a sticker denoting the DLC packed in. Since they stopped pennying stuff I haven't really paid attention to the guides at BB anymore.

[quote name='PublikDefender']From where?
(Not in the op or the last few pages)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Romeo']I assume used from somewhere. I believe these come sealed.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually I think many stores may shrinkwrap their own guides anymore due to people treating the guide racks like a library at times.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Mega Replay. It's basically an all electronic/games/movies pawn pawn shop. They always have a decent selection of guides at good prices. In the past few weeks, I've gotten the following:

Soul Calibur V - $5
Super Mario Galaxy 1 - $5
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - $3
White Knight Chronicles - $2
GTA IV - $3
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - $2
Final Fantasy X - $5
Final Fantasy Anthology - $3
Final Fantasy VII - $5
Medievil - $2

[quote name='nixmahn']Its a sad day when CAG'ers major source of penny guide are from getting years old guides from TRU. Got 2 Goldern Sun's myself recently.[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking the same thing. I found ufc 2010, goldeneye wii, and gran turismo 5 guides at Tru this week. The ufc guides were actually tagged .01 cent. It wad pretty cool for the employees to keep them on the shelf tagged a penny instead of throwing them away.

I just picked up the Super Mario Galaxy 2 guide myself from a Salvation Army store the other day for $1.06 after tax. Since it was missing the slipcover that has the UPC barcode and price on it they just decided to gimme it for a buck. That reminds me that I didn't put it on my TL yet.

I also saw a Tekken 3 guide in beat up shape at another SA store today. But I think they wanted $3-4 for it.:cry:

[quote name='nosalenobuy']Method Prime Trilogy
Super Scribblenauts[/QUOTE]

New today? I don't recall seeing these at any TRU I've been to recently.

Some drops from gamestop today

Koa guide (future press) dropped to 24.99 from 26.99
Soul calibur 5 (future press) dropped to 8.99 from 9.99

I know they aren't the penny ones we are looking for but they are drops

[quote name='strait edge follower']Some drops from gamestop today

I know they aren't the penny ones we are looking for but they are drops[/QUOTE]

Whoa, that is weird. I was doing laundry and I thought to myself. "There was a gamestop drop today...I can feel it." I logged in and BAM! guide drop.

I would check Dark Souls.

[quote name='slowdive21']Whoa, that is weird. I was doing laundry and I thought to myself. "There was a gamestop drop today...I can feel it." I logged in and BAM! guide drop.

I would check Dark Souls.[/QUOTE]

My gamestops don't have dark souls so I couldn't scan it. Oh and gears 3 reg edition is still 5$. Why that hasnt been pennied yet when the hard cover was is beyond me

[quote name='slowdive21']Whoa, that is weird. I was doing laundry and I thought to myself. "There was a gamestop drop today...I can feel it." I logged in and BAM! guide drop.

I would check Dark Souls.[/QUOTE]

No real drops today, I checked earlier. It's been a slow month.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Some drops from gamestop today

I know they aren't the penny ones we are looking for but they are drops[/QUOTE]

still not enough... wish KOA guide drops to

[quote name='strait edge follower']My gamestops don't have dark souls so I couldn't scan it. Oh and gears 3 reg edition is still 5$. Why that hasnt been pennied yet when the hard cover was is beyond me[/QUOTE]
I still have my two Dark Souls guides from when Amazon had em for $10-15 a pop for a bit. Sad thing is I got rid of the game but kept the two guides and they're still sealed and sitting in the box they got delivered in from Amazon.:whistle2:# Yeah. That was a great use of Amazon credit.:roll:

[quote name='Romeo']Unfortunately not true. KoA already dropped once before, months ago, then went back UP to $27.[/QUOTE]

Guess i missed the price drop you mentioned. Was it gamestop? or another retailer? I havent seen a strategy guide go back up in price once it started going down in gamestop.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Guess i missed the price drop you mentioned. Was it gamestop? or another retailer? I havent seen a strategy guide go back up in price once it started going down in gamestop.[/QUOTE]

At GameStop. IIRC it dropped to around $22 back in May/June.

CoD:MW3 is also $5 at GS.

Found an Uncharted 3 CE at another GS today. The guy said he either had to destroy it or sell it for $15. I politely declined.

Fallout New Vegas guide(softcover) came up as $12.99 in the system when I took one up to the registers. I swear this was one of the ones that was coming up as $.01 on that page that dabamus showed me to check current prices of stuff a while ago. So it looks like they may have re-entered these in at a lower than MSRP price to avoid them coming up $.01 .

[quote name='neocisco']CoD:MW3 is also $5 at GS.

Found an Uncharted 3 CE at another GS today. The guy said he either had to destroy it or sell it for $15. I politely declined.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the MW3 info. I may have remove that one from my trade want list for that price.

[quote name='Devil May Cry']Got excited when I went to a local BB of mine and saw a ton of guides from the list. Then I realized they were all GS guides I was thinking of :([/QUOTE]
I've done that before.:bomb:#-o

bread's done
Back