Reduced Price Guides-Discussion Thread

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Holy Crap! It makes me a little sick to know I had a few new and sealed Mass Effect LE's (w/art book) go through my hands for next to nothing. I got 1 for a penny. All traded away a long time ago. Now they are selling for $150 to $200 on ebay. :wall:[/QUOTE]

ME2 guide is up there too, at about $75 on Amazon. I had a couple laying around that I threw up there and they all sold pretty quick.

[quote name='Pookymeister']ME2 guide is up there too, at about $75 on Amazon. I had a couple laying around that I threw up there and they all sold pretty quick.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I still have 2 new ones and 1 open one. Thanks, I wasn't aware of this :D

I had a nightmare about penny guides last night. GS was cutting them on a diagonal and throwing them away, so people wouldn't be able to easily read them. It was a horrible sight.

[quote name='slowdive21']I had a nightmare about penny guides last night. GS was cutting them on a diagonal and throwing them away, so people wouldn't be able to easily read them. It was a horrible sight.[/QUOTE]
That's not far off from how they do things around here, but rather than cutting them they simply rip the covers off of the front AND back.:shock:

I got a Golden Sun Dark Dawn guide from Toysrus for 1c, and this time nobody gave me any lip compared to the last time I tried at the other TRU. There weren't many titles in the store, so that was a little lucky. All I saw were Mario 3DS and Assassin's Creed guides.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I got a Golden Sun Dark Dawn guide from Toysrus for 1c, and this time nobody gave me any lip compared to the last time I tried at the other TRU. There weren't many titles in the store, so that was a little lucky. All I saw were Mario 3DS and Assassin's Creed guides.[/QUOTE]

Woah, alright, I guess I will add that the OP in the other thread.

I had seen some tags on a shelf a couple weeks ago but found none of the guides ,there was about 6 penny tags. I didn't mention it because I tought it was a fluke.One was golden sun ,Mass effect 2 and a few more I can't remember.

[quote name='TheWooz']I had seen some tags on a shelf a couple weeks ago but found none of the guides ,there was about 6 penny tags. I didn't mention it because I tought it was a fluke.One was golden sun ,Mass effect 2 and a few more I can't remember.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?

Anyway, I found a couple of copies of Winter 2011 Overload cheat codes at a nearby BB while doing an exchange. The guy was fine with it, he basically told me it wasn't his job to pull them, so he didn't care. :cool:

From an old post:

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Here you guys go :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_3?rh=n%3A283155%2Cn%3A!44258011%2Cn%3A2205237011%2Ck%3Aguide%2Cn%3A5%2Cn%3A87&bbn=2205237011&keywords=guide&ie=UTF8&qid=1323928572&rnid=5

All you have to do is go into Book Trade in, Computer & Technology, Game Guides. That is how I found Star Ocean TLHI and Assassins Creed 1 Artbook :D[/QUOTE]

Here's the one for FF Tactics: War Of The Lions @ $23.75: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Tactics-Official-BradyGames/dp/074400974X/

Five of note still holding its value, plus the AC 1 LE artbook:
ES4 Oblivion GOTY @ $27.76: http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion-Official/dp/0761556273/
Fallout 3 GOTY Hardcover @ $44.94: http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Game-Year-Collectors-Edition/dp/0307466582/
Dragon Quest V - Hand Of The Heavenly Bride @ $30.30: http://www.amazon.com/DRAGON-QUEST-Heavenly-Official-Bradygames/dp/0744010985/
Persona 3 @ $11.25: http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Official-Strategy/dp/0974170097/
Star Ocean - Second Evolution @ $21.30: http://www.amazon.com/STAR-OCEAN-Evolution-Official-Bradygames/dp/0744010942

Assassin's Creed LE Artbook @ $17.00: http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Limited-Edition-Book/dp/076155873X/

Sell Oblivion GOTY on eBay. I sold the 2 pennied ones I got from Best Buy for $70+ each!

I kept 1 FFT: The War of the Lions in my own personal collection. I went through my entire list and manually searched on them to see if any were worth trading in and that's how I found FFT. Thanks for the link shrike, had no idea it was available to use.

Also, I updated my guide trade list in the Master Trade Forum topic, so check it out.

Also, thought I would share a haul I got a month ago for $20:

5Y45G35Jb3Le3J23N6c4ea97a194cbbfb1131.jpg

Found a new game store that opened up around that takes guides as trade-ins at $1 cash/$1.50 credit flat for any guide. Gonna dump all my worthless ones that have been collecting dust forever.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Found a new game store that opened up around that takes guides as trade-ins at $1 cash/$1.50 credit flat for any guide. Gonna dump all my worthless ones that have been collecting dust forever.[/QUOTE]

damn, congrats... jealous....

[quote name='Pookymeister']Found a new game store that opened up around that takes guides as trade-ins at $1 cash/$1.50 credit flat for any guide. Gonna dump all my worthless ones that have been collecting dust forever.[/QUOTE]

Ration them out. I have a local store that does a similar deal and was able to unload 30-40 guides over a 5-6 week period. I was so glad to get all of that clutter out of the house.

Yeah. Definitely ration them out. I tried bringing in my entire mass of dusty guides to the one local shop, which was paying me $1 apiece. They dropped that to $.25 a pop once they saw what I had.:bomb:

Mind ya, most were only worth $1 or so apiece according to eBay and Amazon. So I still decluttered the house while getting rid of shit I had forever.

I've been taking 20 each time - got 60 so far out of the house. Today I think i might go for the credit with the next bunch - they have a couple guides i do want. Amazon/ebay prices but nothing out of pocket so i can live with it.

Brought in 21 guides today and traded for 2, lol.

Got Assassins Creed Revelations LE (priced at $30) and another guide for $5 to flip for $15. Was short $3.50 worth of credit but the guy said don't worry about it - sweet.

Struck out at my hidden BB location on vacation (Hilton Head). Ive managed to find remnants of drops every year here while on vacation..but not this year. I was in denial that BB drops were dead until now.

My usual 'hidden'(that's not so hidden) BB that I'd usually score at was en route to Atlantic City down near Philly in a lil town called Springfield. The BB there on the Baltimore Pike was insanely awesome the first time I hit it while going to AC. I think I grabbed something like 60+ guides in one haul. They even had guides from 2-3 years prior but those were ringing up MSRP for some reason.

I haven't been back there lately, but I wonder if things are still good there.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but do stores such as Meijer, Wal-mart etc. usually penny their guides or is it mostly the Best Buys and Gamestops?

Since trading guides has come to a standstill, I listed all my trade fodder guides on CL. Made two transaction so far - 8 guides for $80, and 45 for $260. About half of them were "junk", so not a bad deal for me. Certainly better than rotting in the basement like they've been for years now.

The dude who bought 8 actually handed me a stack of guides when i got there and told me to have them since he didn't want anymore. Wound up putting a couple of them in my personal collection, so that was an unexpected treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since trading guides has come to a standstill, I listed all my trade fodder guides on CL. Made two transaction so far - 8 guides for $80, and 45 for $260. About half of them were "junk", so not a bad deal for me. Certainly better than rotting in the basement like they've been for years now.

The dude who bought 8 actually handed me a stack of guides when i got there and told me to have them since he didn't want anymore. Wound up putting a couple of them in my personal collection, so that was an unexpected treat.
I'm in the same boat...

May I ask how you composed your ad to sell them for that much?

Basically just listed them all and said create your own bundle, send me an offer, no lowballs
I love how you bumped the super ancient topic that still has a certain SOMEONES post at the top of the page (who is credited with killing the guides at Bestbuy atleast).

bread's done
Back