Reduced Price Guides-Discussion Thread

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']If it's anything like the other FFT guides, I'd snag the $24 now and look to pick it up on the cheap later on. Plus I'm pretty sure the Prima guide for ps1 covers most of the character customization tricks.[/QUOTE]That's what I did with my FFT: WoTL guide. The FF1 and FF2 guides for PSP don't sell back for much, nothing for FF1 and $3-something for FF2.

Have to try some other random guides and see what happens.

[quote name='shrike4242']That's what I did with my FFT: WoTL guide. The FF1 and FF2 guides for PSP don't sell back for much, nothing for FF1 and $3-something for FF2.

Have to try some other random guides and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

Forgot how i got there, but i just listed all books in the category of video games and scanned down the list until i found ones with a higher looking value....then looked if i had it =]

[quote name='Pookymeister']Forgot how i got there, but i just listed all books in the category of video games and scanned down the list until i found ones with a higher looking value....then looked if i had it =][/QUOTE]Oh, you need to figure out how you did that. :D

Anyone have any guide trade-in results from Amazon yet? My big batch shows delivered in tracking, so should probably have something by Monday.

[quote name='Doomstink']Not that any of you would have this laying around, but it popped up while I was checking guide TIVs:

http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-Video...&s=textbooks-trade-in&qid=1324059853&sr=1-351

More relevant TIVs:

Art of Halo 3 - $52.75
Art of World of Warcraft - $38.00

I believe the WoW book came with the original CE, so I don't think many of you would have it laying around - but I feel like the Halo 3 book is something you guys might have.[/QUOTE]
Actually I DO have that Art of World Of Warcraft. If I remember correctly I picked it up from a far off GS soon after I found CAG and found out about pennied guides.:D I even remember that it was on a very, very low shelf on the front of the counter at said store.

Scary, huh?

[quote name='WeaponX2099']I have figured something out. Always get Harvest Moon guides.[/QUOTE]
Yep. I noticed that too and I can't imagine how many of those I probably passed up at BB/GS stores for a couple of years just because I went after the CE/LE/SE ones first. Yet some of those guides are worth bupkiss now compared to the HM ones.:roll:

OK, Amazon rejected my Resident Evil Archives guide due to wrong ISBN #. I really hope I get my guide back in the same shape as I shipped it (packed very well). I am wondering now however if they post some inaccurate ISBN's.

I looked up the trade-in value for my Dragon Age Origins Collector's Edition and my ISBN does not match the one they post. How could this be? Could there possibly be multiple ISBN's for this guide. This seems very unlikely.

Has anyone else run across this?

EDIT: I see now looking at my sealed copy, the backpage (insert) has the ISBN that is listed on the Amazon trade-in site. I am fairly certain the ISBN on the first page of the guide itself is different, but I'm obviously not going to bust open this guide just to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how are these guys finding the phantom guides on the BB website? I know the old symbol trick "*" "&" "$" , but what are they doing to find the Fable CEs?

[quote name='PapaSmerf']OK, Amazon rejected my Resident Evil Archives guide due to wrong ISBN #. I really hope I get my guide back in the same shape as I shipped it (packed very well). I am wondering now however if they post some inaccurate ISBN's.

I looked up the trade-in value for my Dragon Age Origins Collector's Edition and my ISBN does not match the one they post. How could this be? Could there possibly be multiple ISBN's for this guide. This seems very unlikely.

Has anyone else run across this?

EDIT: I see now looking at my sealed copy, the backpage (insert) has the ISBN that is listed on the Amazon trade-in site. I am fairly certain the ISBN on the first page of the guide itself is different, but I'm obviously not going to bust open this guide just to find out.[/QUOTE]

I always check to make sure trades will work by typing in the isbn/upc into Amazon's search and seeing if the guide/game i want to trade in is what comes up.

[quote name='Pookymeister']I always check to make sure trades will work by typing in the isbn/upc into Amazon's search and seeing if the guide/game i want to trade in is what comes up.[/QUOTE]
Yes, but in this case it seems like they will never get a match or at least have an out for any trade for DAO CE. I suspect it is the same for RE Archives.

Reading the fine print however, it seems they can refuse a trade-in at any time for no reason at all.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Yes, but in this case it seems like they will never get a match or at least have an out for any trade for DAO CE. I suspect it is the same for RE Archives.

Reading the fine print however, it seems they can refuse a trade-in at any time for no reason at all.[/QUOTE]How irritating that they might try to slime out of a trade. :roll:

They took my RE: Archives, Half-Life 2: Raising The Bar, Assassin's Creed artbook and Star Ocean: TLHI guides and didn't bat an eyelash at any of them.

They took my Assassin's Creed (which had a mark on the cover art) and my Mass Effect with no problems. I was expecting problems with ME since the ISBN wasn't located on the back of the book but on the first page and if whoever was lazy they could of not cared and just rejected it because it wasn't right in their face. I'm happy!

[quote name='slowdive21']So how are these guys finding the phantom guides on the BB website? I know the old symbol trick "*" "&" "$" , but what are they doing to find the Fable CEs?[/QUOTE]

I have been wondering about that too, they are listed under exclusive product offers but when you click that category it goes to a blank page that won't load.

I sent all my stuff to Amazon in one big box and they just sent a message that 5 of the guides are still pending and issued the gift card for the rest. Did anyone else have any issues like this?

Well, I found another guide that would be nearly impossible to trade in to Amazon. I sent in the Fallout 3 GOTY Collector's Edition. I did not check the ISBN before sending it in because, hey these things are numbered. There can't be more than one ISBN right? Well there isn't, but the ISBN for the hardcover is only found on the back cover slip that is inside the plastic wrap but not attached to the guide.

The only ISBN that can be seen if the back cover slip was not saved is the one on the first printed page of the guide. Well that ISBN is for the softcover GOTY guide. Prima must have printed the same exact copy for the HC guide without bothering to correct the ISBN. :wall:

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Well, I found another guide that would be nearly impossible to trade in to Amazon. I sent in the Fallout 3 GOTY Collector's Edition. I did not check the ISBN before sending it in because, hey these things are numbered. There can't be more than one ISBN right? Well there isn't, but the ISBN for the hardcover is only found on the back cover slip that is inside the plastic wrap but not attached to the guide.

The only ISBN that can be seen if the back cover slip was not saved is the one on the first printed page of the guide. Well that ISBN is for the softcover GOTY guide. Prima must have printed the same exact copy for the HC guide without bothering to correct the ISBN. :wall:[/QUOTE]A number of the CE guides from Prima and Brady are the same way. There's no UPC / ISBN on the back cover of the guide, and it's on the slip placed on the back cover of the guide.

DA: O CE, DA2 CE, F3 GOTY CE, ME2 CE, just to name a few.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I have been wondering about that too, they are listed under exclusive product offers but when you click that category it goes to a blank page that won't load.[/QUOTE]

I've found that you can plug a search like this in to google and at least find the two exclusive offers I've heard of:

site:www.bestbuy.com "exclusive offers" Our Price: $0.01

But that's certainly not the best way to go about hunting things like this down. It also means there's a way that search spiders end up finding them, so I imagine there's a more realistic way.

Is a guide disappearing online ever a precursor to penny goodness? The Borderlands GOTY guide (sku 1440665) just disappeared today from the online listings for Best Buy. I've been interested in that one for a while but won't be able to get to the only Best Buy with it in stock for probably another two weeks to check it.

[quote name='handsomepete']I've found that you can plug a search like this in to google and at least find the two exclusive offers I've heard of:

site:www.bestbuy.com "exclusive offers" Our Price: $0.01

But that's certainly not the best way to go about hunting things like this down. It also means there's a way that search spiders end up finding them, so I imagine there's a more realistic way.

Is a guide disappearing online ever a precursor to penny goodness? The Borderlands GOTY guide (sku 1440665) just disappeared today from the online listings for Best Buy. I've been interested in that one for a while but won't be able to get to the only Best Buy with it in stock for probably another two weeks to check it.[/QUOTE]

Went to BB and the one copy they had is now gone. It may have pennied. I know best buy HAS done Friday drops before.

I noticed that the number of guides went down 1 either yesterday or today but don't keep track close enough to know which guide it was and when it goes down 1 I always figure it could be something that sold out just as well.

Earlier this week it went down about 10 guides which I'm guessing could be a precursor to a good sized January drop.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I noticed that the number of guides went down 1 either yesterday or today but don't keep track close enough to know which guide it was and when it goes down 1 I always figure it could be something that sold out just as well.

Earlier this week it went down about 10 guides which I'm guessing could be a precursor to a good sized January drop.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully we get some sort of a heads up other than having to go out to the stores to come up empty handed and wasting time though. Guide hunting has become a chore since we lost any inside info on potential drops.:cry:

Finally bit the bullet and traded my Uncharted 1 guide in to Amazon for $84.25. It's been sitting at that trade in price for over a week now, while previously it edged up and up a little each day. Figured it may have peaked for now, although I do know at one time it was trading in for over $100.

This is a picture from the most recent drop. Wasn't even aware this discussion thread existed until now, but here you people go.

Pokemon's

7bf61f74.jpg

Everything else

542d3954.jpg

Everything (except for the warhammer guide) was from a single gamestop. Guy told me I was doing him a favor :)

[quote name='HotJuicyBurgers']This is a picture from the most recent drop. Wasn't even aware this discussion thread existed until now, but here you people go.

Everything (except for the warhammer guide) was from a single gamestop. Guy told me I was doing him a favor :)[/QUOTE]
Prepare to be bombarded by PM's begging for guides at the cost of shipping and/or people calling you a hoarder.:roll:

Nice haul though. I wish I could get that many in one spot anymore.:whistle2:#:cry:

-whistles- Yeah, I'm considering sending a PM right now. I already paid full for that B/W collector's guide though so not much else I'd shoot for. Darn shame the 2nd edition doesn't have a CE. Never understood why :/

Resisting the urge to PM because I don't feel like killing the guy with a full inbox. I actually do need a Brotherhood & Dead Space 2 because I'm going to start playing these games this weekend. (Still sealed)

I'll welcome all offers lol, so feel free to bombard me. Just if I don't respond right away, it's bc I didn't care much for your offer, or bc I am swamped with PM's. Now, don't pm me begging for guides either. I know what they are worth, and I definitely won't be giving any away lol. Especially not pokemon black and white collectors!

Oh cmon. Here I was just about to ask ya to send me a Pokemon B&W CE at your expense just cuz I'm an awesome person and completely deserve it.;):lol:

Kidding. It's good to keep those CE's for trade fodder for when you really want a guide and can't find it yourself.

Ill buy a disgaea 4 off someones hands :) Just keep me posted. I bought the game and it's next on my play list, but the guide would make it easier :).

I just got a mint condition Half life Raising the Bar book for a low price. Everyone talks about it and it's great reselling value so I was happy until I got home and looked inside. This book isn't a guide at all...it's a just a book. =(

what does it mean when they "Pennie" out guides?? can you actually but them? because every place i have ever gone to they pretty much told me to kick rocks when asking about older guides.

[quote name='Readthepost']I just got a mint condition Half life Raising the Bar book for a low price. Everyone talks about it and it's great reselling value so I was happy until I got home and looked inside. This book isn't a guide at all...it's a just a book. =([/QUOTE]
I coulda told ya that.:booty:;)

[quote name='neocisco']So was anyone able to confirm that the BB pull from last week had pennied or not? It sure doesn't seem like it.[/QUOTE]

IIRC some CAGs did go in on Monday and confirmed that some guides from the pull list didn't drop.

FWIW assuming they don't do anything tricky and do the Monday is the day guides get pennied out like we are used to this coming Monday will be Best Buy's last chance to do so before the fiscal year is done.

Holy Crap! It makes me a little sick to know I had a few new and sealed Mass Effect LE's (w/art book) go through my hands for next to nothing. I got 1 for a penny. All traded away a long time ago. Now they are selling for $150 to $200 on ebay. :wall:

bread's done
Back