Reports of FALCON RROD trickling in - ugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly enough i've had one for a bit now and it's been working ok (knock on wood).
It's a Falcon too. I've kept it well vented and everything.

But here's the WEIRD part.
I've had 3 Wii's already. 1st one had a screwed up optical drive, the second had a graphic card issue (locking up) and my 3rd one had ANOTHER optical drive "fall off center". They just repaired it and are sending it back (it said $75 dollars : but free under warranty).

I seem to be living in reverse bizzaro world.

[quote name='chwisch87']Its a bad design to begin with. Until a totally revamped from the ground up MOBO/SKU is designed, i don't think we are going to see a day of RROD free xbox's.[/QUOTE]

Might be right. I think the one major mistake was making the enclosure too small. The Xbox has a friggin' 3-core CPU, therefore the case should be big enough to hold larger heatsink-fans and provide clear ventilation from one end to the other.

Seems like Microsoft paid too much attention to the people who complained about the aesthetics of the first Xbox, so now we pay the price for all the bitching. Really now, a game console is about what's happening on the screen, not what it looks like at the bottom of your entertainment center. Think about the average size of a stereo receiver, it's usually 19" wide and maybe 5"-6" tall. If you're into HD gaming you probably have one of these. Why can't the game console be the same size and shape? It'll fit in better with the rest of your components and be better cooled and more reliable. Ugh. :bomb:

[quote name='javeryh']

The reason everyone puts up with this crap and bitches endlessly is because when the 360 does work like it is supposed to it is super fun to play.[/quote]

Don't forget the thousands of dollars we have invested in games/accessories/XBoxLive/XBL Points...

I am on my 5th 360 and my 2nd PS3.
2 360's had RROD
2 had Disc Read Errors

My PS3 stopped recognizing the hdd, i had the extended warranty and exchanged it for a new one.

The 360 is the worst experience i have had with a console and I started with the 2600.

Ever since the PS1, and the mainstream disc based medium that requires moving parts, the quality of hardware has gone downhill and faulty hardware has become 'something to expect'.

The exception is Nintendo, I have yet to have a problem with a single piece of hardware they have produced, cartridge or disc based.

[quote name='youbastards']
Ever since the PS1, and the mainstream disc based medium that requires moving parts, the quality of hardware has gone downhill and faulty hardware has become 'something to expect'.
[/QUOTE]

You're right about that. Moving parts FTL. It would be great if the flash memory industry could get prices to really bottom out before the next console generation. With any luck we'll be right back where we started - game cartridges. :cool:

I like people who act like this isn't a problem and that it is something the users are doing to f it up. Get over your fanboyism and realize MS made a POS product. If mine breaks again I will probably get the coffin and send the fixed one off to the Ebays.

[quote name='NTolerance'] Think about the average size of a stereo receiver, it's usually 19" wide and maybe 5"-6" tall. If you're into HD gaming you probably have one of these. Why can't the game console be the same size and shape? It'll fit in better with the rest of your components and be better cooled and more reliable. Ugh. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I couldn't fit anything else the size of a receiver in my TV stand height wise, and I imagine many people are that way unless they have a separate AV rack from their TV stand or entertainment center.

but the 360 definitely could have been wider and longer and better ventilated (while staying the same height). Height tends to be a problem as most stands only have one taller place to put something like a receiver, or with adjustable shelves you can only make one taller place and still have enough shelving for all the other crap (DVD players, cable boxes, consoles etc.).

Though you can always just put a console on the floor as long as it's not on carpet. My 360 was on the hardwood floor for months before I sold my PS2 and made room for it in the TV stand.

POS products are nothing new to the gaming industry... Mad Catz, and Nyko have been making sorry periphreals for a long time. But the reason why they stay in business is due to people supporting their products. If MS put a product anywhere outside of the video game market that performed like the 360. This product would definitely fail. Who would buy a cell phone that dies 30% of the time. If the 360 was a cell phone, MS would have been out of the cell phone business. The problem with the video game industry is that you buy the system, then you're invested more and more with every game, and periphreal that you by for the system. So its difficult to give up on the system when you're sitting around with 2 controllers 1200 points and a year of XBL. When you've invested so much, its hard to leave.

I have a 360, I play it every bluemoon, I'd love to play it more, but damn, by the time I get into a game and start enjoying games from the library I have to worry about my system malfunctioning.

Save your receipts... cause I know there's going to be a class action lawsuit.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I couldn't fit anything else the size of a receiver in my TV stand height wise, and I imagine many people are that way unless they have a separate AV rack from their TV stand or entertainment center.

but the 360 definitely could have been wider and longer and better ventilated (while staying the same height). Height tends to be a problem as most stands only have one taller place to put something like a receiver, or with adjustable shelves you can only make one taller place and still have enough shelving for all the other crap (DVD players, cable boxes, consoles etc.).

Though you can always just put a console on the floor as long as it's not on carpet. My 360 was on the hardwood floor for months before I sold my PS2 and made room for it in the TV stand.[/QUOTE]

All you folks with the damn minimalist decor need to get bigger TV stands. ;)

[quote name='NTolerance']All you folks with the damn minimalist decor need to get bigger TV stands. ;)[/QUOTE]

Really. I got a 360, Wii, Ps3, DVD Player, and a Receiver in mine.

Anyway, the RROD has NOTHING to do with user error. I treat my consoles like they are my children and got RROD after 2 years a month ago.

Hrmm, as a 100% Nintendo owner since birth (NES, SNES, GC, Wii) - I have had none of them fail. Oh and of course GBA and DS. Other than the cracked hinges on the DS, I would believe failure rate is miniscule (

[quote name='mav451']Hrmm, as a 100% Nintendo owner since birth (NES, SNES, GC, Wii) - I have had none of them fail. Oh and of course GBA and DS. Other than the cracked hinges on the DS, I would believe failure rate is miniscule (

It's unfortunate that more people don't show their disgust at problems with their wallet, but it is understandable to an extent considering how invested we are in the systems after purchase.

Personally, I'm dealing with the lack of quality hardware on the 360 in a gradual way. Though I know Sony has issues too, their machine seems reliable so I'm not buying all major single player games on PS3. Microsoft only gets my money for multiplayer games unless their is a significant reason to get the 360 version. Over time and through price drops I'd like to get rid of all my 360 multi-platform games.

On the subject of hardware, I'm on my 3rd DS or at least the third round with the original system and my Wii makes some scary noises, so Nintendo isn't immune to hardware problems either. But yeah the 360 is in a league of its own in terms of lack of quality.

Haha - what happened to the first two DS's that you had? I'm presuming you're talking DS Phat, not DS Lite?

My third 360 should be here tomorrow. I'm seriously considering selling it and just being done with it. I could get some good money for it and all the games and accessories I've got.

I think my 2nd 360 is about to go. Earlier today it started reading Lego Indy really sluggish, sometimes leaving me with 15-30 seconds of black screen, wondering if the game froze up.

Microsoft just isn't doing enough to try to fix this. There's so many things they need to try. Bigger fans? Bigger housing? Get rid of the X-Clamps? Let's go MS, you've done nothing but tell people that you've actually done something. The only reason the PS3 is still alive is because everybody is sick of your shit. (Which I guess I should be happy for, as I like the PS3 better. The PS3 will come out on top in the end.)

Listen, you are one of the fortunate ones. Within 1 month, this month at that, I had my tray go, my hard drive corrupt almost 8gb of game saves and content, my game freeze on me for the last time, because after that it wouldn't read any more of my games. Just face it, they make their systems like shit!

[quote name='mav451']Someone mentioned the size of the original Xbox - did that have a similar history of unreliability?[/quote]

I'm not sure, as I've never heard of any. But then again, I never heard of PS2s having DRE problems. Probably because I didn't have the internet.

I just mentioned size, as maybe if they increased the case size to allow more unused space, it wouldn't heat up as much.

I'm just saying that MS isn't attacking this problem well enough. :bomb:

My original Xbox's hard drive failed and left me with a brick. At least I got $50 for the parts. I paid for a new Xbox but I didn't really play anything but multi player after that because I didn't know if the game saves would be there.

[quote name='mav451']Someone mentioned the size of the original Xbox - did that have a similar history of unreliability?[/QUOTE]

Bad dvd drives was the one I always heard about, I had one originally and Enter the Matrix must have frozen about 80 times. I finally said screw it, bought another with the updated drive, never had one problem after that, regret selling it a little now , some of my favorites still haven't made it to the backwards compatibility list

[quote name='Access_Denied']I'm not sure, as I've never heard of any. But then again, I never heard of PS2s having DRE problems. Probably because I didn't have the internet.

I just mentioned size, as maybe if they increased the case size to allow more unused space, it wouldn't heat up as much.

I'm just saying that MS isn't attacking this problem well enough. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Fat style ps2's would stop reading blue backed disc or just give DRE in general. Slim ps2's if you were unlucky enough would just overheat. I never once minded the size of the xbox so a bigger case wouldn't have bothered me, not exactly like the ps3 is small or something.

Most of the PS2 DRE's were easily fixed. Cost me $30 to get my blue laser (CD) adjusted and it was as good as new. OG Xbox hard drive failures turned the system into a brick.

[quote name='tgk2044']apparently i don't have enough "ventilation" for my 360 when it got the RROD....

[/QUOTE]

well it can over heat from u sitting your conole on your amplifier. some amplifiers get extremly hot... as a matter of fact my original Xbox died on me.

[quote name='tgk2044']apparently i don't have enough "ventilation" for my 360 when it got the RROD....

[/QUOTE]

Neither did mine...

p1010004ghni0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back