Resident Evil 2 $39.99/$31.99 GCU Bestbuy.com PS4, Xbone

The story, characters, settings, items, and core gameplay are all the same yes? Not debating the level of effort to remaster the graphics, a la RE1 on GameCube. I fully understand what this is and it's still a game from 1998 remade, thus not a $60 product IMO.
It's a reimagining. If a modern director reimagined a film that's in public domain, I wouldn't all of a sudden expect it to be free, or even discounted. Still took money to make and promote. Also, you still seem to be stuck on this being a mere graphical overhaul, which is to say, NOT "a la RE1 on Gamecube"

Last edited by a moderator:
Its remade sure, but it's an idea from 1998. Nothing new.
What idea? The title? The name of the characters? Zombies? Outside of that - the important stuff like gameplay systems, AI, game engine, and pacing - are completely new. You're looking at it from such a shallow perspective.

Isn’t most games anymore that long if you try to run through it for the story?
Exactly. I thought it was given how ignorant and limiting it is to convert your dollars into "hours played". Quality > quantity. Even so, 2 HR movies cost like $10 on sale.

It's $40 tho :p
For me, with GCU, I'm only off $2.

Of course I'm joking around but my point was, Resident Evil games have been some of the worst offenders in big price drops.

It's like you are paying a $20 fee to play the game early.

I can think of a few <cough>Ubisoft<cough> others also.

Hey, did you guys know that games get cheaper after they've been out a while?

Also, did you guys know that some people like certain games more than others?

Fascinating isn't it?

Hey, did you guys know that games get cheaper after they've been out a while?

Also, did you guys know that some people like certain games more than others?

Fascinating isn't it?
what do you think this is reddit/r/Games? We're all shallow cheapasses here, got it? No room for civility nor reason. Only knee jerk reactions, such as those that lead me to buying $15 games I will probably never end up opening.

what do you think this is reddit/r/Games? We're all shallow cheapasses here, got it? No room for civility nor reason. Only knee jerk reactions, such as those that lead me to buying $15 games I will probably never end up opening.
Well if you have any concept of money management, especially if you consider yourself a "cheapassgamer", this is clearly the better way to buy games.

You have suckers who (some are even on this website!!) bought the game at $60, when you can wait till BF and get RE2, KH3, Division 2, and Metro Exodus for the same price as RE2 on release. Even though you *may* never play them, clearly that is the better investment.

Well if you have any concept of money management, especially if you consider yourself a "cheapassgamer", this is clearly the better way to buy games.

You have suckers who (some are even on this website!!) bought the game at $60, when you can wait till BF and get RE2, KH3, Division 2, and Metro Exodus for the same price as RE2 on release. Even though you *may* never play them, clearly that is the better investment.
if i know a game is awesome i'll pay more to play it now rather than wait 10 months just to save maybe 30 dollars, 30 dollars is not a lot of money to me over a 10 month period

heck i would've bought RE2 on release day even if i knew it would be free on Black Friday, I want to play it now why the hell would I wait that long? this is cheapassgamer now POORassgamer, some of us can afford to buy games when we want them

also waiting that long just to save a few bucks creates a massive backlog that is impossible to finish, that is wasted money no matter how long you waited for a sale

if i know a game is awesome i'll pay more to play it now rather than wait 10 months just to save maybe 30 dollars, 30 dollars is not a lot of money to me over a 10 month period

heck i would've bought RE2 on release day even if i knew it would be free on Black Friday, I want to play it now why the hell would I wait that long? this is cheapassgamer now POORassgamer, some of us can afford to buy games when we want them

also waiting that long just to save a few bucks creates a massive backlog that is impossible to finish, that is wasted money no matter how long you waited for a sale
But I always wait a long time to buy a game cheaper meaning I always have something I want to play handy. Time is relative, if you buy every game new then you're still getting them on the same schedule as waiting a similar amount of time to get them later. There is no extra backlog to waiting.

And yes 30 dollars one time over 10 months isn't a lot but if you do it for a dozen games that's 360 dollars. 360 dollars is a lot of money to me and that means I can buy more things.

I get what you're saying, but if you have that mentality year round when say 5-6 or even more games interest you and you want to buy them day one, you're spending an upwards of $300 just on those six games. If you waited and found other games to pass the time, youd be able to get them for a little over $100. It's not that it's a lot of money saved, its just a way to somewhat substantially cut down costs.

I only bring up the website because it implies being cheap. Buying games at full price isn't being cheap. It doesn't mean you're poor not doing it, it means you're being cheap.

But I always wait a long time to buy a game cheaper meaning I always have something I want to play handy. Time is relative, if you buy every game new then you're still getting them on the same schedule as waiting a similar amount of time to get them later. There is no extra backlog to waiting.

And yes 30 dollars one time over 10 months isn't a lot but if you do it for a dozen games that's 360 dollars. 360 dollars is a lot of money to me and that means I can buy more things.
Agreed, with the exception of time sensitive games like Anthem. I know that game will die in a few months so the only way to really 'play it' was when the community wasn't destroyed by bugs, shit design, etc. I've since sold it to get my money back since it blew away expectations in the failure department, so no real loss. Backlog helps keep everything flowing until the next game goes on sale, but Sekiro was a major exception.

Gotta have my souls fix when it comes around.

Those of us who aren't relative newbies remember a kinder, gentler time where we worked together to find good deals and foster a sense of community. But, sure, tell us what it means to be members of CAG, member who joined last year. :razz:

Those of us who aren't relative newbies remember a kinder, gentler time where we worked together to find good deals and foster a sense of community. But, sure, tell us what it means to be members of CAG, member who joined last year. :razz:
Uh oh, hope your sarcasm detector is still under warranty. If you didn't default to picking up that pitchfork you'd have seen that I was clearly agreeing with that person via sarcasm. Do you actually think I was serious about this place not being a place for civility, when I'm here typing multiple paragraph posts?

And btw, I had been using CAG long before Best Buy GCU was $120/2 years...I'm a vet. Just because only only recently decided to join the forums doesnt mean I havent been using the site for nearly a decade.

Even though you *may* never play them, clearly that is the better investment.
If your aim is to play the games you buy, then no, that is not clearly a better investment...

Personally, I have loads of unopened games I bought at $20 or less. I hope to one day get to them, as I usually do eventually, but there are undoubtedly some I will probably never play unless it's a free download or something. Then again, there are games I buy at launch because they are new and exciting at that point in time, so I am more invested in it, play it more, understand it more, etc, i.e. get more value from my dollar.

My point is, we all have our personal perception of what value is and what "the better investment" is. That's the very definition of value. And just like art itself, it is subjective. For reference: if there were no "suckers" then there would be no high quality $20 games for us to buy. It's interconnected. Dont apply your personal financial situation - or how you perceive and determine value - to the macroeconomic system at large.

bread's done
Back