Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition PS3 Newegg $19.99 + FS

[quote name='blindinglights']Does this have any DLC that is single player, or is it all just extended multiplayer maps and modes?[/QUOTE]

I believe there is some single player dlc
"Gold Edition extras including all of the original content, two new episodes, four new costumes, an updated Mercenaries Mode and online RE5 versus mode."

[quote name='blindinglights']Does this have any DLC that is single player, or is it all just extended multiplayer maps and modes?[/QUOTE]

There are two new story chapters.

I played it a bit with Move and it was quite fun. Best deal you can probably find for this game at the moment (Unless you luck out and find it on clearance or something like a friend of mine did).

Other than that, i think its been this price for a while though. I got a used copy at Gamestop for 17.99 almost a month ago.

I got the Collector's Edition on sale a while back, but after picking up the Move I have been debating Gold for a while. I can trade in the original for around $7.50, so what the hell? For the extra stuff and Move support it seems worth the $12.

I waited so long to see this under $20 and it still hasn't happened. Target clearanced it several years ago around this same price and I grabbed a copy, but ended up selling it because it actually goes for around $30 to $40 even now (unlike the inferior 360 version that has a DLC card). I think what's keeping the price up on this is basically the fact that's its the complete version of the game, the only one that has Move support and the fact that the regular game would require substantial DLC purchases to get the content this comes with. I had been hoping to grab RE5 on PC at some point, but knowing Capcom will most likely never release the DLC on PC, I decided to pay the extra $10 for this over the PC version.

ive never played the DLC bonus chapters myself but i remember a friend telling me one of them deals with chris and jill's final encounter with spencer and the other deals with jill and josh stone's escape during the main story of RE5

[quote name='ploppsdman']I hope Resident Evil 6 (just announced for Nov release) is nothing like this; though it looks like it is (co-op, through out).[/QUOTE]

RE6 looks like a return to RE 2/3 story but with the game style of 4/5. I would say that's pretty awesome and can not wait.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']just checked and my order already shipped. I ordered around 3:00 PM today[/QUOTE]

Looks like mine shipped as well, sweet deal with that free year of ShopRunner that was on here a month or two ago.

From what I can tell, it looks like RE6 will be a hybrid between the 2/3 and 4/5 styles, with different pairs of characters being either more action oriented or more survival horror oriented (since there are evidently 3 pairs of characters in 6 ... that's kind of crazy, no?). I'm sure I'll pick up 6 near launch, but I'm actually looking forward to ORC at this point, since it's using classic RE characters and settings in a new way.

[quote name='Vegan']I can't believe how much this has retained its value, even the sale prices are high for a game of its age.[/QUOTE]

No doubt, I've been hoping for this to drop into the $10 range for a long time but it just isn't happening.

[quote name='ploppsdman']I hope Resident Evil 6 (just announced for Nov release) is nothing like this; though it looks like it is (co-op, through out).[/QUOTE]
They want the Call of Duty audience, that exact quote is on every video game site by now. They'll never go back to horror, why do that instead of further raping a long-running series that pioneered the goddamn genre on consoles almost 20 years ago?

We just have to accept that good genres die & are replaced by ADD garbage for the kids & college jocks.

Is the DLC worth it? I already have the PC version of the game, but that doesn't come with the DLC.

I picked this up at Target when it was on clearance. Got it for $10. I had no idea it was going for $30-40. Also, I didn't know it was Move compatible. Going to have to give it a play.

RE 2 is still my favorite game of all time. I still love hearing the voice go "Resident Evil...2"

[quote name='kewlmyc']Is the DLC worth it? I already have the PC version of the game, but that doesn't come with the DLC.[/QUOTE]

I've only played the single player content included in the RE5 Gold and while it was decent story filler, it was really short. I think it took me less than 2 hours to finish both Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape, and I took my time finding/killing everything too.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']They want the Call of Duty audience, that exact quote is on every video game site by now. They'll never go back to horror, why do that instead of further raping a long-running series that pioneered the goddamn genre on consoles almost 20 years ago?

We just have to accept that good genres die & are replaced by ADD garbage for the kids & college jocks.[/QUOTE]

Simple it makes tons of money still.Seriously RE needed a change.The controls never improved,the camera was against you,and the puzzles were obtuse and nonsensical,they made some sense in 1,but they made no fucking sense in 2 and 3.

Say what you want about what they did about the characters and story,removing zombies,but 4 was a change for the best.

[quote name='kewlmyc']Is the DLC worth it? I already have the PC version of the game, but that doesn't come with the DLC.[/QUOTE]

Lost in Nightmares was awesome, Desperate Escape was just ok, and the Mercenaries and Versus I have hardly touched. They are both pretty short as well as someone else has mentioned. If you don't think you'll play much Mercenaries or Versus, I think you would be better off just buying Lost in Nightmares.

[quote name='themaster20000']Seriously RE needed a change. The controls never improved,the camera was against you,and the puzzles were obtuse and nonsensical,they made some sense in 1,but they made no fucking sense in 2 and 3.

Say what you want about what they did about the characters and story,removing zombies,but 4 was a change for the best.[/QUOTE]
Ahh yes, "a change". It's never an upgrade, it's always a change. A change is genres perhaps is what you speak of; from survival horror to blueprint for generic shooters everywhere this gen? Yep that certainly fits pretty well.

Unfortunately RE didn't need this change, it's just needed an upgrade & 3.5 was the right direction but they must've caught the "wider audience" bug so they went full retard & thought it was a smart idea to make a shooting gallery out of a horror series =\ That is my main problem with 4 & 5, yet morons always seem to think "bawww I want it to stay the exact same like Dragon Quest for 20 years". There's a huge difference between keeping it the exact same forever, adding upgrades & pleasing your old fans as well as adding new ones, & giving the finger to old fans because you prefer braindead idiots who'll buy your shoddy product.

As for controls & camera, they were fine. You'd have to be an idiot to NOT get that up=forward, down=backward etc. & yes, they did improve them with each sequel but you probably didn't notice that because you started with 5 probably =\ I'll give you the very first RE on PS1 but by the time the Saturn port & later Dualshock version were released as well as RE 2, the movement became tighter. RE 3 added backspins & further refined movement, not to mention quick dodge. I was baiting enemies left & right by the release of REmake & RE Zero for Gamecube. Might be a shock to you but all that was changed control/camera wise with 4 was the OTS camera for aiming (& those disgusting QTEs). Which was a nice addition as well as the new item slot system. Unfortunately they got the idea of making enemies shit out ammo & health items even on professional, last time I checked RE was supposed to be survival horror & they completely forgot it with 5. Ignore those drops you say? Doesn't change the fact they were still dropping left & right.

We can blame Capcom for making it a-okay to dumb down your long-running franchises into casual trash no matter what genre they used to be; Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, X-Com, Hitman, Elder Scrolls, so many more series utterly raped in this gen. You're gonna make something that feels like a completely different IP, at least make it an actually new IP so the old series can die with it's dignity intact.

Grabbed one.

As for the series itself, I prefer the change to a more action based series. The first games were great for their time, but I'm glad that they changed it to a more fluid control scheme. The old scheme did not do them any favors.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Ahh yes, "a change". It's never an upgrade, it's always a change. A change is genres perhaps is what you speak of; from survival horror to blueprint for generic shooters everywhere this gen? Yep that certainly fits pretty well.

Unfortunately RE didn't need this change, it's just needed an upgrade & 3.5 was the right direction but they must've caught the "wider audience" bug so they went full retard & thought it was a smart idea to make a shooting gallery out of a horror series =\ That is my main problem with 4 & 5, yet morons always seem to think "bawww I want it to stay the exact same like Dragon Quest for 20 years". There's a huge difference between keeping it the exact same forever, adding upgrades & pleasing your old fans as well as adding new ones, & giving the finger to old fans because you prefer braindead idiots who'll buy your shoddy product.

As for controls & camera, they were fine. You'd have to be an idiot to NOT get that up=forward, down=backward etc. & yes, they did improve them with each sequel but you probably didn't notice that because you started with 5 probably =\ I'll give you the very first RE on PS1 but by the time the Saturn port & later Dualshock version were released as well as RE 2, the movement became tighter. RE 3 added backspins & further refined movement, not to mention quick dodge. I was baiting enemies left & right by the release of REmake & RE Zero for Gamecube. Might be a shock to you but all that was changed control/camera wise with 4 was the OTS camera for aiming (& those disgusting QTEs). Which was a nice addition as well as the new item slot system. Unfortunately they got the idea of making enemies shit out ammo & health items even on professional, last time I checked RE was supposed to be survival horror & they completely forgot it with 5. Ignore those drops you say? Doesn't change the fact they were still dropping left & right.

We can blame Capcom for making it a-okay to dumb down your long-running franchises into casual trash no matter what genre they used to be; Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, X-Com, Hitman, Elder Scrolls, so many more series utterly raped in this gen. You're gonna make something that feels like a completely different IP, at least make it an actually new IP so the old series can die with it's dignity intact.[/QUOTE]

Nope I actually started the series back when it started with the first one.Even back then the game never scared me,and never felt like a survival horror since you got so much ammo,but I enjoyed them.Now the games never really had any changes to them until code veronica which made it a fully 3D environment instead of the backgrounds,and you actually had to conserve ammo in those.

I also disagree about the controls improving,they were always shit,which is the case about most survival horror's,with Eternal Darkness breaking that rule.

I got my copy today. It doesn't have the slipcover and does have the Playstation Move info on it, which is fine by me. The thing that bugs me, though, is that it was shrinkwrapped as if it had been reshrinkwrapped, and upon opening it there were several fingerprints on the disc. It seems almost certain that this is somehow not a new disc.
Have you ever found fingerprints on a factory sealed game? I'm not really sure if I should just clean 'em off and go, or if Newegg might give me a discount or something as this appears to be a used copy.

I would complain man, I just checked the package I received today and I don't have the slip cover either, but mine is definitely sealed with y-folds.

Seeing from some people's post, does the game seem new? I want the slip cover though can anyone confirm if they got it?

The co-op in RE5 is the best thing about the game IMO. If RE6 has similar co-op to RE5, it wouldn't be bad at all. The main disappointment for me with RE5 is it feels like a rehash, and the story sucks.

[quote name='leeyum']Seeing from some people's post, does the game seem new? I want the slip cover though can anyone confirm if they got it?[/QUOTE]

I think newegg stopped carrying the slip cover version a while ago. Doubt you have any chance of getting it from them.

You missed Amazon not too long ago for $16... I almost pulled the trigger but decided to digest the 30+ games I backlogged... and now I regret not getting it...

[quote name='sunghost']The co-op in RE5 is the best thing about the game IMO. If RE6 has similar co-op to RE5, it wouldn't be bad at all. The main disappointment for me with RE5 is it feels like a rehash, and the story sucks.
[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I had such fun in RE5 co-op but I can understand what kind of frustration one would have faced if playing alone.

[quote name='wfhbright']You missed Amazon not too long ago for $16... I almost pulled the trigger but decided to digest the 30+ games I backlogged... and now I regret not getting it...[/QUOTE]

Are you sure that was $16 for the Gold edition? I don't recall ever seeing it go that low, but I could have missed it.

i think the slip cover was only on the first editions of the gold edition.

mine has a slip cover and that's because i bought it the first day the gold edition came out. it also doesn't have any of the "playstation move compatible" writing that the newer versions of the game have.

[quote name='SDC']I got my copy today. It doesn't have the slipcover and does have the Playstation Move info on it, which is fine by me. The thing that bugs me, though, is that it was shrinkwrapped as if it had been reshrinkwrapped, and upon opening it there were several fingerprints on the disc. It seems almost certain that this is somehow not a new disc.
Have you ever found fingerprints on a factory sealed game? I'm not really sure if I should just clean 'em off and go, or if Newegg might give me a discount or something as this appears to be a used copy.[/QUOTE]

I got mine, and it has the same rewrap looking shrinkwrap on it (move version), but I'm not sure when I'll open it to check the disc. Anyone ever get a non-Y fold seal from other places on this?

Newegg always seems to have some shady videogame suppliers. Never trust them.

edit: after checking my voluminous backlog, I don't have a single other PS3 game that didn't have a y-fold seal. Stupid shady newegg, I hate buying from them. But there is the small chance capcom wrapped these like this. Will have to check for capcom games on other systems.

edit: all my standard wii capcom games have y-folds, but a ds megaman game that I think I bought from bestbuy a long time ago and the big box monster hunter bundle has the same looking rewrap.

edit: found another capcom game okamiden ds, and it was also wrapped with the rewrap looking cellophane, from bestbuy, so maybe capcom does this themselves to a lot of their games. I will have to hold off on my scathing criticism of newegg.

edit: after checking bestbuy, all re5 gold have that style shrinkwrap. Newegg isn't selling any reseals.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='scottman']I got mine, and it has the same rewrap looking shrinkwrap on it (move version), but I'm not sure when I'll open it to check the disc. Anyone ever get a non-Y fold seal from other places on this?

Newegg always seems to have some shady videogame suppliers. Never trust them.

edit: after checking my voluminous backlog, I don't have a single other PS3 game that didn't have a y-fold seal. Stupid shady newegg, I hate buying from them. But there is the small chance capcom wrapped these like this. Will have to check for capcom games on other systems.

edit: all my standard wii capcom games have y-folds, but a ds megaman game that I think I bought from bestbuy a long time ago and the big box monster hunter bundle has the same looking rewrap.[/QUOTE]

Did you double check if the DLC redeem codes still work?

[quote name='Demon Soul']Did you double check if the DLC redeem codes still work?[/QUOTE]

PS3 version = DLC on the disc.

[quote name='waldo21212']PS3 version = DLC on the disc.[/QUOTE]

Thats good to know. I just got my copy and mine looked like it was re-wrapped as well. Mine also has a fingerprint on the disc. I emailed a complaint.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Ahh yes, "a change". It's never an upgrade, it's always a change. A change is genres perhaps is what you speak of; from survival horror to blueprint for generic shooters everywhere this gen? Yep that certainly fits pretty well.

We can blame Capcom for making it a-okay to dumb down your long-running franchises into casual trash no matter what genre they used to be; Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, X-Com, Hitman, Elder Scrolls, so many more series utterly raped in this gen. You're gonna make something that feels like a completely different IP, at least make it an actually new IP so the old series can die with it's dignity intact.[/QUOTE]

RE has NEVER been scary. This is fact. Thrilling yes...but not scary. Monsters are not fucking scary seeing as they don't exist. Seriously, if you people ever thought RE was supposed to be scary, might I suggest playing the Fatal Frame games. Philosophical related matters are MUCH more chilling to the bone then monsters and zombies ever will be.

RE has always been about action over survival what with the ridiculous amonut of ammo they give you in every game, even on pro. I have played every single game in the RE, SH, and Fatal Frame franchise and let me break it down for you.

RE=Action/Thriller
SH=Atmoshphere/Survival
FF=Pure Survival Horror

Honestly, even Fatal Frame is not too terribly frightening since it mainly just deals with the supernatur

Received mine today. Definitely looked like it had been resealed, but the disc was in perfect condition. Amazing, since it was floating loose.

No slip, though.

bread's done
Back