Resident Evil 5 - Out Now - 2/17: Lost in Nightmares DLC arriving on 2/18 for $4.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)

http://www.residentevil.com/5/

Players: 1-2
Modes: Single-player, local and online two-player co-op
Release Date: 3/13/2009
PSN Demo Release Date: 2/2/2009
Collector's Edition MSRP: $89.99
Regular Edition MSRP: $59.99

From the ashes of old conflicts, a new terror arises. The Umbrella Corporation and its crop of lethal viruses have been destroyed and contained. But a new, more dangerous threat has emerged. Years after surviving the events in Raccoon City, Chris Redfield has been fighting the scourge of bio-organic weapons all over the world. Now a member of the Bio-terrorism Security Assessment Alliance (BSSA), Chris is sent to Africa to investigate a biological agent that is transforming the populace into aggressive and disturbing creatures. Joined by another local BSSA agent, Sheva Alomar, the two must work together to solve the truth behind the disturbing turn of events. Featuring a revolutionary new co-op mode of gameplay, Resident Evil 5 will let players experience fear together as terror moves out of the shadows and into the light of day.
Collector's Edition

http://www.capcom-unity.com/resident_evil/blog/2009/01/16/resident_evil_5_collectors_edition
The Resident Evil 5 Collector's Edition contents for your viewing pleasure! You get the Tricell bag, the Chris figure, Kijuju pendant, and BSAA patch. Press release below with more details on pricing, etc.

re5_ps3_ce_3dbs.jpg
Capcom's Resident Evil 5 Collector's Edition Exposed!

Capcom is pleased to announce the Resident Evil 5 Collector's Edition. First teased last week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas, the Collector's Edition will be available on day one of the game shipping Friday, March 13, 2009. Available for only a limited time, gamers will be able to pre-order the collectible set starting today at the Capcom store at www.capcom.com. On launch date, the set will be available at all major retailers in North America with a price of $89.99 for the Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3.

For fans of the highly popular series, the box set is not to be missed as it will include a host of never-before-seen collectible items not available anywhere else. All designed around RE5's Kijuju setting and the game's in-depth storyline, the box will include a Tricell messenger bag, Chris Redfield figurine, BSAA patch and Kijuju-inspired pendant.

Bringing the entire collection together is a custom made steel case with special art showcasing signature elements of the RE5 campaign - the Kijuju writings, ominous number five and two-player co-op. Inside the steel case is where the real action lies, with a two disc set including the game and bonus disc with additional special features. The Making of Resident Evil 5 feature, first shown at the Tokyo Game Show, will be released on the bonus disc for the first time. A digital art gallery showcasing the game's incredible HD graphics and impressive art style and a Resident Evil Degeneration Trailer will top off the special features making a bonus disc that is a must-have for all Resident Evil devotees.
Demo

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/01/21/street-fighter-iv-invades-ps3-san-francisco/
One final note from Capcom: PlayStation gamers will soon be able to experience Resident Evil 5 for themselves as the intense new two-level demo will be downloadable on the PlayStation Network for the PLAYSTATION 3 on February 2, 2009. With three modes of action- single-player with AI controlled support, split-screen two-player co-op and two-player co-op across PlayStation Network- the demo will give fans an in-depth glimpse into the game a month before it launches on Friday, March 13, 2009.
I'm surprised that there wasn't a thread for this game here, so I'm making one now.

sweet i can wait to check out the demo. and feb 2nd isnt that long i was thinking we wouldnt get it on psn until march.

It took me like half an hour to download the demo, and another couple of minutes to install it.

It's a pretty good demo, though I really didn't like how you have to access your inventory in real time.

[quote name='Thongsy']It's up on the PSN already? I'll have to download it later today when I get back home.[/quote]

I downloaded it from the Japanese PS store, though. ;)

[quote name='nbballard']was this posted thursday? i must have missed it..[/quote]
no, it just went up today. The other regions went "live" before the US but it should be up everywhere now.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I really didn't like how you have to access your inventory in real time.[/QUOTE]

Is the game STILL clunky as hell? Oh, no, wait, the entire series is like that.

online coop doesnt work for me, everytime it connects to some1 it says unknown error, also I dont see where you can invite some1 specifically to coop with its just random.

maybe im just blind

Just played a couple of games. I have NO idea what I'm doing. Reminds me of Resident Evil Outbreak where I always got left behind. It was always fun reaching the elevator just as Johnny No Wait activated it.

Jerkass.

[quote name='shadowrep']godam the offline co-op SUCKS i got an 46inch bravia and its just ODD the split screen[/quote]

I hate split screen as is, this is worse. 2 little screens. I'll stick to online coop just as long as you can choose who you want to play with.

I downloaded the demo on xbl, and the demo on psn. I can't decide which version I rather have. It comes down to which controller I rather use, and would I rather play on psn or xbl. I doubt I'll find anyone to play co-op with so I'm mostly just concerned about which controller I rather use.

[quote name='lokizz']Just curious to know if its any good or not and how long it took you to dl it.[/quote]

Are you really asking for impressions of the demo? Not trying to be an ass but that's why it's a demo, it's free, and intended for you to get your own impressions. Right?

[quote name='freakyzeeky']It's a pretty good demo, though I really didn't like how you have to access your inventory in real time.[/quote]

It's still downloading for me, but I'm looking forward to that change, in theory. It always bothered me that you could pause the game, heal yourself, change weapons, etc., it really took some of the tension away from some of the scarier boss fights.

That, and real-time inventory access (if that's the right term?) really added to the suspense in Dead Space, so as long as they do it well, I'm all for it.

I played it on xbox over the weekend. switching weapons was pretty easy. you use the dpad. no need to press triangle then equip.

the coop works rather well but i would rather do a lan play coop. just hate split screen. i am going to try the ps3 version tonight since thats the one i will probably play (my nephew has ps3).

[quote name='johnnypark']Are you really asking for impressions of the demo? Not trying to be an ass but that's why it's a demo, it's free, and intended for you to get your own impressions. Right?

It's still downloading for me, but I'm looking forward to that change, in theory. It always bothered me that you could pause the game, heal yourself, change weapons, etc., it really took some of the tension away from some of the scarier boss fights.

That, and real-time inventory access (if that's the right term?) really added to the suspense in Dead Space, so as long as they do it well, I'm all for it.[/quote]

yep i am. i hadnt dled it yet and because of the hype around the game im curious if anyone has any diff impressions on it based off the demoand i was curious about how long it took people to dl since most of my dls tend to run at the hour hour pluss mark for bigger demos. yes its not a final copy but having finally played it i see why peple would say its basically re4 but a bit better.

the co op option is cool though but now my major question is whether the game is really short and if down the road theyre going to release another version or something. i personaly like to gather game infromation from actual gamers over game reviews. the more questions you ask the better understanding you can come away with imo.

[quote name='OatmealMu']Just played a couple of games. I have NO idea what I'm doing. Reminds me of Resident Evil Outbreak where I always got left behind. It was always fun reaching the elevator just as Johnny No Wait activated it.

Jerkass.[/quote]
I have no idea what I'm doing either and from the looks of it, so was my partner online. All I know is that I was suppose to try kill the boss. Boy do I suck at this game. With limited ammo and can't walk and shoot sucks. Yeah, I know, it's part of the game. I like the series though, but I'm probably not going to buy this game new until I get use to it.

[quote name='mykee98']I hate split screen as is, this is worse. 2 little screens. I'll stick to online coop just as long as you can choose who you want to play with.[/quote]

You can set it to where you can invite people on your friendlist, I'm playing right now and it's much better than a random person.

It's kinda stupid the way they have it set up, you have to put co op limit to partner, and than go to the xmb and do it from there.

I started downloading around 4:30 and it JUST finished at 9:15pm. That's an insane amount of time to d/l a < 1GB demo. I don't know if it's because my internet connection is really slow or the servers are getting hit harder than Frisky hits the CAGbag*!

And I can't check it out yet since the wife needs to watch Heroes :bomb:

* j/k man - F da haters!

[quote name='Thongsy']You can set it to where you can invite people on your friendlist, I'm playing right now and it's much better than a random person.

It's kinda stupid the way they have it set up, you have to put co op limit to partner, and than go to the xmb and do it from there.[/quote]

I see said the blind man. thanks for the info, that is kinda crappy but will work for me.

I played both stages, so here's my view (RE4 is my Game of Forever):
It's a solid RE 4.5 with weaker level design (at least from the demo) and co-op. Strafing is nice.

I'll pick it up at the $30-$40 range.
If anyone liked this demo a lot I highly suggest The Club. Very cool and cheap game.

I'm going to admit. I was NEVER into any PS1 RE game and wasn't really into RE4 on GC when I rented it on GC (but can acknowledge it was a good game). I decided to play the demo to RE5, since the game has been getting a lot of hype and I'm into survival horror games more now than I use to be. From what I played of both levels, I actually really like the game, although I didn't survive (wasted too many bullets, lol). While I wanted this game, I wasn't 100% certain about buying it. Now I'm 100% sure I'm buying it.

I like the way the invite system works, where I press the PS Button and say invite player. I hope more games do that.

I feel the same way as you do, Mana, I played every single RE game but never gotten too far in them. With the co-op mode I think I will buy this game. If it came out tomorrow I would grab it. Hopefully when it does still come out I'll still want it. Anybody have any idea how long the game supposely will be?

i haven't played online co-op yet, and this may be a dumb question but i haven't seen it answered anywhere, is there voice chat so i can talk to the other person in-game?

the freakin controls do take getting used to ( i swear in the last game you could pick up items with x) but I wonder how when playing online you will deal with gold. with each level you complete do they add up all the gold and everyone splits it or is it every man for themselves? i envy those of you who got to play the re online games on ps2. before i ever got around to getting any of them the servers had already been shutdown.

Just finished playing through the demo and I can say that if you liked RE4, you're going to like this game. From the demo, it felt like RE4 with prettier graphics.

And I didn't mind too much about the controls. Again, if you're used to RE controls then you should know what to expect.

From what I've played, I'd give it an 8/10.

Yea, there is voice chat. When I was playing with random people, people either didn't have a mic or were talking randomly to themselves and not communicating to advise me what was going on and such. There isn't a button or anything to press, it's always on unless you have the official mic with the mute.

The demo took me from feeling "Meh, looks good I'll probably get it when it's out" to "ZOMG!! Must get day off from work!"

It was a little worse than I was expecting. Graphics/controls are great but the knife seemed fairly useless and there was way too much action between having more zombies and a partner running around for the game to be scary in the least. Also not a fan of the new weapon switching system but I guess with coop it would be kind of lame to pause the game to switch. Only other thing I can think of is that it's even more obvious than in RE4 that the zombies stop attacking you for a while after one hits you. Occasionally there would just be a half dozen zombies just standing around Chris just waving their prison shanks in the air for 10 seconds to give you time to shoot them.

I'm still going to buy it and enjoy it but I really doubt I'll like it anywhere near as much as 4.

The framerate is off on the PSN demo. Like...really off. It was like 20-25 fps. But for some reason, the PS3 version looked better than the 360 version. I don't know what's going on here, but it confirms to me that RE5 is not a purchase for me.

The people ive seen who have played it dont like the controls, may be a let down this time, guys....

Was it 20-25 fps? Seemed fairly smooth to me. Though I only played the multiplayer online with my friend. Hardly any hitches. Twas quite fun, though I wouldn't play this on my own haha. Time to chill at my friend's place more often come the end of Feb/March lol.

One thing i don't understand is the inability to move while knifing or aiming.

Shadows and dark areas are showing up with a glowing purple tint on my couple year old Samsung LCD (no money for a new TV). It's giving me a headache. I guess I have to deal with it.

bread's done
Back