Resident Evil 5 - Out Now - 2/17: Lost in Nightmares DLC arriving on 2/18 for $4.99

Got the game. Though I wasn't sure whether or not I would, even though I loved co-op on the demo with a friend, seem like I was trying to find reasons not to get it. It is great fun to play with somebody you know so you can chat and talk random smack to each other.

[quote name='Thongsy']Got the game. Though I wasn't sure whether or not I would, even though I loved co-op on the demo with a friend, seem like I was trying to find reasons not to get it. It is great fun to play with somebody you know so you can chat and talk random smack to each other.[/quote]
I was doing this with some dude who joined randomly when I first started playing, he's now on my friend list and we plan on finishing the game together ;)

Online co-op ftw

i beat 1-1 on veteran and it took a long time. damn. i wish the computer wouldnt waste my bullets. but shes nice when the combo system works.

i remember playing through with tons of bullets leftover at the end of re4 with one bullet for kneecap + leon's chuck norris kick + knives.

the spinning roundhouse is far superior than chris' uppercut or otther punch.

Made it to 3-2. None of my friends has the game yet, so I've been playing with random people. It's definitely more fun when you have someone who knows what he is doing. I basically had to walk through and tell one of my partners what to do to complete some simple puzzles. Haha

so whats the deal with treasure and money? if you play online with someone do you both get the same amount of each or is it every player for themselves? same with the weapons.

[quote name='lokizz']so whats the deal with treasure and money? if you play online with someone do you both get the same amount of each or is it every player for themselves? same with the weapons.[/quote]

Same amount of money. Whoever picks up the weapon keeps it, but it becomes available in the shop to buy afterwards.

I was at Target today staring at this game for like 20 minutes debating weather I should get it or not, and I just couldent bring myself to spend $60 for this game, I enjoyed RE 4 alot, but I've never been a HUGE RE fan so I'll wait till the price drops, or else I can get a good deal on here.

Picked it up today thanks to the TRU promotion. I'm on 1-3 and, like many, still trying to figure out how I feel about the game. The controls definitely take some getting used to -- which is strange, 'cause I was a pro on PS2's RE4. It's been a while since I last played it but I didn't expect there to be that much of a learning curve.

My first RE game since RE Code Veronica. Anyways, I love this game! Although all I've played is 2 1/2 hours online with my brother (who's in Hawaii while I'm in Colorado) and we're both having a blast. To those who gave it horrible reviews, I don't know what they were thinking!

I think co-op is what saves this game. Otherwise it would probably just be an average action game. I don't see myself playing it alone but online with friends is a blast. Even a random stranger would be fine if they talk, but during the demo every random game I joined nobody spoke so there was no communication, maybe that's different now with the full game but I'm probably not going to test it out.

[quote name='enufs8d']if you like the re4, why don't go to scheme A?[/QUOTE]

I'm actually using Scheme C, and I've gotten better after sleeping on it. I'm enjoying the game more now, although having a partner does take away a lot of the tension the series has been known for.

Playing alone is great. The reviews make it sound like you must play co-op or the game sucks. You don't. I'm playing it by myself first then going to do co-op. I'm on 3-1 and the game has been great so far. Sheva is good and actually helps out. She kills enemies and heals me when I need it. I have no problem with her. One complaint I have is that I wish you didn't have to shoot an enemy to initiate melee. With a shitload of enemies all in one group in close proximity, I wish I could just punch or ram them so I can run away.

Last edited:
[quote name='Blackout'] One complaint I have is that I wish you didn't have to shoot an enemy to initiate melee. With a shitload of enemies all in one group in close proximity, I wish I could just punch or ram them so I can run away.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's kinda annoying. Anyone have any tips for getting the 3-hit melee combo? Usually I get one hit and they get knocked out.

I'm on chapter 5 and it's beginning to feel less and less like RE. It's more Dead Space-ish. There's even a cover system (wtf!).

The game is still fun to play, IMO, but they really ruin the suspense when every time enemies appear, they show a cut scene.

This game really isn't scary. Very action oriented. Sheeva seems to be fine sometimes and so stupid others. She has randomly gotten in my way, and for a while would reload the handgun after every shot she took. Another time shot would use and hold the stun rod and do nothing while being attack, even though she had a handgun in the inventory. Overall she's pretty good for what I thought might've been a long babysitting mission.

I ended my nineteenth year of birth (today was my 20th birthday!) by beating the game last night. I played it alone and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. I'm a little disappointed it's over but I'm not sure I want to go through it again just yet.

[quote name='Thongsy']This game really isn't scary. Very action oriented. Sheeva seems to be fine sometimes and so stupid others. She has randomly gotten in my way, and for a while would reload the handgun after every shot she took. Another time shot would use and hold the stun rod and do nothing while being attack, even though she had a handgun in the inventory. Overall she's pretty good for what I thought might've been a long babysitting mission.[/quote]

I just give her the handgun and take all the ammo away from her. I've been saving up for the final boss so when I get to that point I'm not out of ammo. Even if I did give her guns, she doesn't switch them out for whatever situation arises. She keeps using the same gun until the ammo runs out, then switches to another gun.

love the game so far. once I beat it with my best friend then I a, down to play again with any CAGs here.

only complaint so far is about the inventory system. feels actually more cramped than the first RE. plus I tend to carry at least 6 slots for guns and ammo combined. I need to upgrade my weapons more and just stick to the handgun, MG, and shotgun for all situations.

plus that melee vest took up a slot. lol

looks like im doing things the hard way... i almost made it through end of chapter 2 on veteran with my first play through. ive been reading that people are beating it on easier settings and use the upgraded guns to blow through veteran and moderately go through professional.

darkkenpachi, so are you going to do pro with stock guns? lol

I beat it on Normal with my friend. Going through it on veteran now, and it's a world of differences in how tough the enemies are, even with upgraded guns. I can only imagine how hard things are in professional difficulty.

Also, the game takes place mostly during the day. There are a few corridor areas, but the game isn't really all that scary. I would say it's only slightly more scary than Uncharted, which is to say not at all, but maybe that's because i was playing on co-op.

Hey guys

I ended up getting the RE5 ce.. and to my suprise it seemed like everything in the package was a little loose.. like i could jiggle the box and i would heard the contents of it move back and forth... I looked up on some unboxings and I am not missing anything from it.. did anyone else experience the "box too big" syndrome

ah... im not used to CE's at all... they must have made a last minte call and said "we will put the bons dvd in the case...instead of them making an additional blu-ray dvd case as they did in SF4...

I however am a little upset that the metal case didnt come with a plastic protector (ie DMC4 CE)

Yea, the Steel Case disc setup inside is a little odd. I had to go back to GS to exchange mine because I had floaters in the case plus it wouldn't close securely. The one I received in exchange had a broken piece from the figure so I had to get that swapped out for my previous one >.>

Anyone else find themselves "hoarding" items/ammo/money/guns? I'm kind of surprised they made it this easy to jump around the chapters with all your present items, makes me wonder what the new game+ feature actually does o_O

I'm only on 2-2 and I've already upgraded all the guns as much as it allows me to this point with like 20K left over and tons of stuff in my inventory :/

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Yea, the Steel Case disc setup inside is a little odd. I had to go back to GS to exchange mine because I had floaters in the case plus it wouldn't close securely. The one I received in exchange had a broken piece from the figure so I had to get that swapped out for my previous one >.>

Anyone else find themselves "hoarding" items/ammo/money/guns? I'm kind of surprised they made it this easy to jump around the chapters with all your present items, makes me wonder what the new game+ feature actually does o_O

I'm only on 2-2 and I've already upgraded all the guns as much as it allows me to this point with like 20K left over and tons of stuff in my inventory :/[/quote]

Hmm... sounds interesting.. I have felt that survivor genre games have let me down as far as the "conserve your ammo" motif is concerned.

For instance, I feel overwhelmed with the amount of Ammo I get in Dead Space. I have most of my plasma gun upgraded and I am not done with CH 3 yet..Also I have a ton of ammo just sitting in my safe

Conversely, I felt that Bioshock did a decent job with the whole "save your ammo" thing was concerned.(I did feel that I could have done with a little less ammo...but not too much) .. I did however conserve my EVE when I could.

However... it has been mentioned that RE5 plays like an action game.. and we typically get a lot of Ammo in action games

after one run through in deadspace you tend to have way too much ammo left over. and after my first 2 or 3 hours in bioshock the only ammo i had to get more of would be rockets and explosive shotgun ammo. but i went through med packs like a crack whore.

after getting up to chapter 3-2 I can say this game has a little scare factor in it. not as great as the others. but trust me when you play at night with only yourself up and at worst playing co-op, this game still has the same atmosphere. just because it happens in day may take from it, but the game has been specifically eerie for me on 2 parts so far(the tunnels and the marshlands, I was not expecting crocodiles in the water and the painted majini are a welcome change of pace.)

so to say my piece: only 2 things make this game not as scary as the others.
1. it happens in day time
2. you have a partner

change those 2 elements and the game would be scarier.

all in all I love this game and the ability to play through an area again with your current supplies is great. For example once I bought the stun rod I went back and did the chapter 1-1 where they rush you just to get the trophy in one sweep. now I never have to use the stun rod again.

never played dead space, but depending on how you play bioshock nothing is scarce if you balance your plasmid use, weapons, and manipulation of enemies.

I agree, the game does have it's frightening moments. I think with co-op it still could be a survival horror. They just gave too much ammo, so for the most part I was never low. Though there was some sections where my ammo was nearly empty and that made it much more intense. Also having it set more at night and in dark places would've help the mood.

Capcom must have obviously known this, so I'm guessing that's why your limited to 9 spaces in-game. Even with preparation you can find yourself low on ammo on certain areas when you ramp up the difficulty, so I notice that they tried to at least balance it out in that sense.

I didn't think they'd allow you to hoard to easy in this game, but in a way it has its appeal like what Dark mentioned above.

Anywho, I'm diggin' this game the more I play it, I just wish I had the time to play it with online coop. I tend to have to play in bits therefore pausing every so often, so trying online coop right now wouldn't be ideal for me and it sucks :/

Btw, is it possible to kill those alligators at 3-1? I ran past them but I'm curious if they're actually killable.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Is there any castle or huge in door corridors in this game ala RE4?

I'm a huge scaredy cat and couldn't play RE4 past the castle :(
[/QUOTE]

how do you feel about dogs? they're huge and such a pain.

@inf - everything alive in this game can be killed if you can get a solid beat on it. I actually killed one croc thinking that was it then me and my partner were swamped and we outta the water asap. lol

One thing that I wish I could change about this game though is that when your inventory is full and you run past something that you could combine in your inventory but can't pick it up is soo frustrating.

IE: I had a full set of inventory but an empty handgun, yet I could not pick up the bullets. arghhhhhh or having a red herb to find a green herb but can't combine it in your inventory. it is soo crazy.

so in leaving. play at night alone or with your co-op partner and the lights out and you will still get a hint of that good ole resident evil feel. Besides nothing is scary in the day except for unemployment, bills, and stds. lol

Cool, I was just wondering since I filled it full o' lead but I still couldn't down it, so I went and shot some birds instead :p

I'm annoyed by not being able to combine something with your inventory as well. I have constantly left herbs behind because there was nothing I could ditch and I was already full up as well as Sheva.

It's such a burn :(

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Btw, is it possible to kill those alligators at 3-1? I ran past them but I'm curious if they're actually killable.[/quote]
Yea, there is actually a lot of gators in the water. I gotten eaten by them twice since my partner and I thought we had clear them all. I actually think there is an endless supply of them since we killed somewhere between 5-8 and the music never stopped and more always appeared.

inf and i were making a blooper reel of 3-1/3-2 coop. i got sea sick and almost vomitted when he crashing the hoovercraft at high speeds. at one point, i just happened to let slip the bridge on him/sheva as he was crossing. the gators weren't a problem as I just followed inf's lead. but it was funny when the gators ate him on the raft. but those chainsaw guys on 3-2 are tough enough without both players with magnums. and then he got disconnected with the computer controlled sheva magnum-less.

inf - the reason why were dying so much was that it was on veteran.

I just beat the game. It was pretty solid, but it didn't really feel like a RE game to me. I'm kinda hoping they go back to the survival horror deal with RE6.

One of the reports on the ship on 6-2 or 6-3 mentions people in Umbrella who knew about the African lab. They were high ranking officials or something. It shows their status (deceased, etc). One of the names was Carlos. Is this the same Carlos from RE3?

They also made Jill into a total pussy. She had her own game, took on the Nemesis several times, yet somehow becomes Wesker's bitch? Doesn't make sense. They also did a piss poor job explaining how she survived that huge fall and what happened afterwards. They really dropped the ball with Jill.

Has anybody started doing the Mercenaries mode yet? I can get a B ranking, but never the A. Sometimes my partner and I would get on a roll and come a bit close but than we die. Any tips that can help us out?

[quote name='enufs8d']inf and i were making a blooper reel of 3-1/3-2 coop. i got sea sick and almost vomitted when he crashing the hoovercraft at high speeds. at one point, i just happened to let slip the bridge on him/sheva as he was crossing. the gators weren't a problem as I just followed inf's lead. but it was funny when the gators ate him on the raft. but those chainsaw guys on 3-2 are tough enough without both players with magnums. and then he got disconnected with the computer controlled sheva magnum-less.

inf - the reason why were dying so much was that it was on veteran.[/quote]
Ooooh man was that run hilarious, I wish we could have recorded that :lol: I had PSN problems and I kept getting disconnected randomly after that, so I didn't have a steady connection and couldn't continue :/

I'm better at the hovercraft now though ;)

The first time I was on the raft I was expecting guys to come out instead of the croc, so when it said square+X to dodge I was like "oh wtf?" and hit triangle+O, then I did it again >.

Man I love this game. I delaying the gratification of beating it by jumping in games of random people in the early stages. None of the Japanese people I joined have mics so I haven't had a chance to practice my japanese.

The comparison videos they showed made the 360 version look a little bit better graphically. I don't know how the rest of the elements fall together though.

I'm enjoying my ps3 version.

Really, it comes down to controls on which you prefer. Either way a fun co-op game. I was going to buy the multiplayer mode, but after listening to the latest podcast now I'm not sure. Since not everybody will have access to it and I'm not sure how much support it will get. I don't want to get it and end up with nobody else online.

I was just looking at my trophies and realized that there are no gold ones at all (Unlees maybe if you beat it on Professional?) Game was good, but not what I expect from the series. Love the Co-op, hate the A.I. though. Going through and getting an S on all levels, I only need to shave off 19 minutes to have unlimited rockets. After that I need to continue it on my 360, its a pain having friends with other systems and them wanting to play with you all the time.....

Just got the plat :D

The only gold is beating it on professional, and you'll need a bit of patience to do it -.-

On Professional:
The Wesker fights can be annoying, but if you play with the CPU as a partner, it makes those segments easier. The only part I REALLY had a problem with was Ndesu, that big ass dude you gotta take out with the machine gun on 2-3. I died 17 times + restarts and finally beat him.

IMO,
taking the device off Jill was probably the 2nd hardest thing to do.

And yes, I ran through with infinite ammo rockets + L.Hawk

bread's done
Back