Resident Evil 6

Malibuz0r

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Is this game worth the pre-order? 40$. Pretty sure it will unlock all 3 bonuses, so that's a + for me. Anyone pre-ordered? Happy with your order?

What do you guys think of this game? I'm a huge fan of RE series, I stopped playing after RE4 though. This will be a great time to pickup where I left off.

Never pre-order any video game ever. It's never worth it.

RE6 got way too much hate in my opinion. It really wasn't that bad. Was it true RE? No. But I also liked RE5 and felt RE4, while a great game, is incredibly overrated. I played the whole thing in split-screen co-op which made it a ton more fun for me though.

$40 is still a little much though for a PC port so many months later. It'll be $15 by Steam summer sale if you can wait.

If you haven't played RE5 and have a buddy I would think it would be worth it (I put 80+ hours into RE5). I hated the RE6 demos, but it seems that they fixed many of the problems I had with the game.

If Bioshock didn't come out 4 days after this game I would buy it at release.

To dispel any positives about RE6.

-Stamina Bar

RE4 and RE5 introduced this staggered combo system into the RE series. A melee system that introduce the idea that headshots isn't always the best option and a great way to save ammo. RE6 introduces this new "melee" system that is always active and each character has their own Stamina Bar. In theory this sounds awesome, but in practice all it does is encourage you to run into a group and melee at all times. Keep in mind that the melee, isn't just a punch, its like spinning back kicks into punch combos and the such. This really takes away from that awesome feeling of the finishing move melee attacks in RE4/5, so now it is just this, "here's melee, now your knife is useless" type mechanic.

-QTE

I feel that RE4 was the major game that set the standard of how QTEs should be implemented. Boss fights had QTEs during the fight and not just bound to cutscenes only. RE6 decided to say "fuck it" and put QTEs at all the wrong times. Intro to Leon's story, QTE on door opening with a crowbar (sure it was there to teach you how to QTE, but there should be nothing to learn about QTEs, they are reaction based inputs), but the Helicopter exploding ontop of you? Perfect time to put a QTE, but nah, that event you get to watch.

-Objectives

Okay so RE4 took away from the whole searching for important items by giving us these glowing items on the ground. However not every situation was, KILL EVERYTHING. In RE6, you will basically have locked arena style objectives that tell you, KILL EVERYTHING before moving forward. Seriously, you can't do anything, until everything is dead. The monsters are going to start looking very similar after a few rounds :p

-Character Movement

RE4/5 introduced the Over the Shoulder Camera to the RE series and kept the no walk and shoot mechanic. This heaviness is a good thing and allows the the impact of the situation to be suspenseful. Also the walking, until holding a button to run has been a staple in the RE series. RE6 has an always run option on and then a "sprint" when needed. This isn't CoD, we aren't suppose to spring everywhere.

-Item Management

Sure RE5 tried to make it simple and yet it was still cumbersome, RE6 just made it down right different with its health tablet system. Some people can get behind this and sure it isn't ground breaking, but it is lore breaking to me.

RE6 was just not an enjoyable experience for me. I was expecting a refined Resident Evil 4/5 with a better co-op system. I was super excited about this game and all it did was disappoint with too many changes to an already awesome series. Not to mention all this talk about the "campaign" being this journey with 25+ hours of content. Sorry but that 25+ hours was just painful to endure, even with a co-op buddy.

The positives that I can agree with is that the action controls (the dodge, roll and slide) works EXTREMELY well in Mercenaries mode. It felt like they made the game for mercenaries mode and then just pasted all the scraps together to form the campaign experience.

It is in this experience that I would inform the public to not waste their money on this product. If you are in need of a Resident Evil game on the PC, get RE5 on the cheap. If you NEED to play RE6, wait for the inevitable Steam Sale and try to spend as little as possible. Capcom needs to be backhanded for making this pile of turd.

Long write, up but I'm bored at work :D

The stamina bar made it so you couldn't melee everyone. I would constantly run out of stamina, making melee useless, especially in Leon's campaign since ammo was sparce. Even when I ran into groups and melee'd they would still do damage. I did upgrade melee so it was pretty powerful at times though and I could go through fights with not having shot a single round. The finishers were still pretty cool.

QTE's don't bother me since I find them to generally be easy, but there were some instances where they should not have been used (how many times do I have to move the goddamn thumbstick back and forth to pull a lever or turn a valve?) There are quite a bit in this game.

Objectives were only "arena style" a few times throughout the whole campaign. They really weren't that bad and were similar to RE4 where you barricaded the house and held out. The one in the gun shop lasted way too long though. There were still puzzles throughout which I generally enjoyed and most of it was "get from point A to B" style gameplay.

Character movement was fine. So what if they wanted to up the pace? They needed to to fit the more action oriented game style. I personally don't miss the clunkiness of previous games.

Item Management was ok at times and a pain in the ass at others. I would have to stack ammo to make new items fit because the game wouldn't automatically do it for me. The tablet system worked fine, I don't really see the complaint there.

A warning for those who might not like this, there are instances where you play the same parts twice, but from a different character's perspective. For example, you might be running from some enemies as Jake in his campaign, but then sniping them from afar as Ada in her campaign to help him escape. You do replay two of the boss fights I believe pretty much verbatim, just as the other characters since they intersect. Overall though this didn't bother me too much since it was few and far between and the fights were generally fun.

That's the problem, those changes were not changed for the better in the realm of a Resident Evil game.

When you drop something awesome like RE:Revelations, the expectation is to have an even better console version. What I don't understand is that RE6 in more ways than one is closer to RE:ORC than to a RE game. Slant Six had their chance to change it up with a spin off, so why keep going with the change?

Either way, there are much better games coming out on PC to be playing then to be getting excited for RE6.

[quote name='j-cart']That's the problem, those changes were not changed for the better in the realm of a Resident Evil game.

When you drop something awesome like RE:Revelations, the expectation is to have an even better console version. What I don't understand is that RE6 in more ways than one is closer to RE:ORC than to a RE game. Slant Six had their chance to change it up with a spin off, so why keep going with the change?

Either way, there are much better games coming out on PC to be playing then to be getting excited for RE6.[/QUOTE]

Like Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, Bioshock Infinite, and Tomb Raider! Or save up and wait for Revelations to come to the PC, I can't wait to try it out finally.

bread's done
Back