Resident Evil, Metroid, Zelda, and the future of the GCN

pumbaa

CAGiversary!
So Metroid Prime 2: Echos got horrible sales. HORRIBLE. The flagship adult title for Gamecube got less than a 5th of the sales of Halo or GTA. As a Nintendo fan, and as a gamer I wonder what the future holds for my beloved videogame company.

Will RE4 sales be just as horrible? The first answer off my tounge would be yes. But what about RE0? Did that sell a lot? That was exclusive, and a Resident Evil. The GameCube climate right now is unpredictable... I don't think theres anything thats a sure bet as far as sales go. I do think that RE sales will be an indicator of Zelda sales.

That is unless Zelda is the only Nintendo franchise that still has "Nintendo" magic. Is Zelda still a big name? This Metroid business has got to be very troubling for Nintendo, if they have their eye on the mature market. But knowing Nintendo... they will concentrate on the Mario Party numbers... and not worry to much about Metroid. Sorry about the babbling. All these are just thoughts in my head. Discuss....

I bought a Cube' just for the new Resident Evil game. It should sell well. About Metroid, maybe more/better advertising would help.

I think RE4 may not do incredibly well due to being too adult for the Nintendo audience, I think Zelda will do well simply for the fact that nearly everyone who owns a gcn will likely buy it. It appeals to all age groups, and parents will let their kids play it.

If Echoes didn't feel like a Prime expansion pack, I'm sure more people would buy it... I have it and I'm disappointed.

I really wish people would support Nintendo though. Paper Mario, Mario Tennis and Pikmin are amazing examples of games that you just can't get anywhere else.

Zelda is the only series that has ever left me wanting to complete it... like every time id stop playing. i'd want to go play it another hour or two. Wind waker stopped this tradition, but hopefully this new one will come back to the awesome-ness all the others have done in the series.

That probably made absolutely no sense, i apologize.

I'll pick up Echoes when it hits $14.99. And I will never finish it just like the first one. Bring on Zelda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='DigitalSpace']RE4 was supposed to be the flagship adult title for the holiday season, but it got delayed.[/quote]

It's a good thing that RE4 got delayed because it would not have sold that well.

Millions of people are missing out on some of the greatest games ever made by skipping over Gamecube. Nintendo just can't get a break in this day and age... :(

Interesting. I haven't even attempted prime 1 or 2, but i'm a big Metroid geek so i'd more-than-likely love it purely biased but thats just me. Nintendo is the only platform to offer the most unique games on the market. May not have a ton of heavy hitters but the ones it does have are classics to anyone who loves gaming.

Zelda is a huge series, some got turned off by Wind Wakers aproach, i liked it honestly, but overall Zelda still holds a ton of weight for reasons already said.

Resident Evil 4, meh dunno how the sales will go but i do know it is the best of its series, and the best looking game for the consoles, in my opinion.

Who knows what will happen, but Nintendo is still kicking out good quality games in my opinion.

I'm curious what the sales numbers actually were. One fifth of Halo 2 and GTA could still be a lot. Those two were probably the biggest sellers of the year. It might not have sold as poorly as you think.

[quote name='Rig']Millions of people are missing out on some of the greatest games ever made by skipping over Gamecube. Nintendo just can't get a break in this day and age... :([/quote]

I agree. its a shame people think the Gamecube is "kiddy" and just skip over it. Ive played some of my favorite games on the cube. RE4 included.

I think Resident Evil 4 will sell extremely well. At my school now, it has larger then Halo 2 hype. This is impressive considering that my school is full of PS2 and Xbox fanboys and Halo 2 was real big here. I think it will atleast beat the sales of RE0 and Remake.

RE4 will sell well.

The thing to remember is the east is in no way interested in metroid and never have been. So the Metroid series is dependant on the US and some other territories.

It will eventually hit 1 million but its a solo game. No interaction with other people in the story and today i think people buy games with groups, or teams. Like halo or mercenaris. Shit GTA has groups or gangs to fight with. You not running solo.

OP, you understand that the gamecube is #3 in the market right? So for it to get 1/5th of the sales of GTA or Halo, that in itself is pretty decent. GTA and Halo 2 sold extremely well. If MP2 did in fact get 1/5th the sales of say GTA, that certainly doesn't qualify as "horrible" sales, considering how small the gamecube console base is compared to PS2 or Xbox. Gamecube games are never going to sell really well in comparision to your GTA's and Halo 2's, simply due to the fact that fewer people own a GC than a PS2 or Xbox.

RE4 will sell well for a few months, but I think it will plummet just like RE0 did. RE0 was $29.99 a few months (read 3) after release.

[quote name='Rig']Millions of people are missing out on some of the greatest games ever made by skipping over Gamecube. Nintendo just can't get a break in this day and age... :([/quote]

This is why I hate the general public.

[quote name='pumbaa']So Metroid Prime 2: Echos got horrible sales. HORRIBLE. The flagship adult title for Gamecube got less than a 5th of the sales of Halo or GTA. As a Nintendo fan, and as a gamer I wonder what the future holds for my beloved videogame company.

Will RE4 sales be just as horrible? The first answer off my tounge would be yes. But what about RE0? Did that sell a lot? That was exclusive, and a Resident Evil. The GameCube climate right now is unpredictable... I don't think theres anything thats a sure bet as far as sales go. I do think that RE sales will be an indicator of Zelda sales.

That is unless Zelda is the only Nintendo franchise that still has "Nintendo" magic. Is Zelda still a big name? This Metroid business has got to be very troubling for Nintendo, if they have their eye on the mature market. But knowing Nintendo... they will concentrate on the Mario Party numbers... and not worry to much about Metroid. Sorry about the babbling. All these are just thoughts in my head. Discuss....[/quote]

Considering 1/5 of 2 million is about 400,000 I think you worry too much. Echoes may not have been a hit on the Halo or GTA level but no cube game will ever be thanks to the fact that lots millions more own PS2 or xbox and no gamecube. It may not have been exactly what Nintendo hped for, but to be honest 400,000 or so in around two months is actually very good for a cube game (or most all games really). You have to consider sales numbers in propotions, no cube game will sell 2 million copis in less than two months because the user base for the states isn't even 2 million.

Oh yeah and RE 4 will likely be a big seller, but I'm not so sure it's a good indicator of what Zelda's numbers will be. They are very different games and despite Zelda's new look more kids will be playing than RE 4, therefore it will probably move more copies. Plus there's the people that may hold out for RE 4's PS2 version at the year's end.

Well its managed #2 on gamefaqs board , second to only GTA SA. Thats a good sign that lots of people have it or are interested in it. I personally got my ass kicked by the demo and am waiting for the game to be around 30 bucks or trade for it.

I love the 'Cube, but find it really hard to have any sympathy for Nintendo. They've put themselves in this pickle.

Their strange anti-piracy obsession has cost them major third-party support (PS2 and XBox seem to be doing fine using non-proprietary DVD technology).

Also, they can't seem to get their heads around the notion that much of their audience is now adult. Outside of the RE franchise, Eternal Darkness and the MGS remake, how many adult-oriented games are on the 'Cube? And there's the console itself, which looks like a gumball machine, and the incredibly odd controller that makes playing fighting games nigh-impossible.

It's a shame, because their games are great, but Nintendo is the author of their own troubles. (Sounds like Sega, doesn't it....?)

EDIT -- Just thought of that weird GC-GBA connectivity campaign Nintendo undertook to try and paper over the fact they weren't doing ANY online gaming support. WTF was that all about? Another nail in Nintendo's coffin....

I just picked up my RE4 LE tin preorder a few minutes ago.

I asked the guy at GS how it was selling.

He said PHENOMENALLY!!!

Out of the 100 games received,... only around 10 were left.

I live in the armpit of DE,... and 90 RE4s is awesome. I'll have to ask EB how well it sold there.
Then there's 2 Super WalMarts, a Target,... and a bunch of other game retailers selling RE4.

It's got to be on FIRE!

Sucks though......... I have to go to bed now,.... then play it after work tonight,..... at 7am.
:(

I'm too broke to buy either Metroid Prime 2 or RE4 until they go Players Choice. I doubt it'll take too long, either. Resident Evil for the GC dropped in price really fast, and the original Metroid Prime did as well.

[quote name='alongx']I'm too broke to buy either Metroid Prime 2 or RE4 until they go Players Choice. I doubt it'll take too long, either. Resident Evil for the GC dropped in price really fast, and the original Metroid Prime did as well.[/quote]

my gut is telling me they will take the time to make RE4 drop.

[quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='alongx']I'm too broke to buy either Metroid Prime 2 or RE4 until they go Players Choice. I doubt it'll take too long, either. Resident Evil for the GC dropped in price really fast, and the original Metroid Prime did as well.[/quote]

my gut is telling me they will take the time to make RE4 drop.[/quote]

Agreed... I do not have echoes just yet... so I can't really comment.

[quote name='dennis_t'][quote name='Rig']Millions of people are missing out on some of the greatest games ever made by skipping over Gamecube. Nintendo just can't get a break in this day and age... :([/quote]

I love the 'Cube, but find it really hard to have any sympathy for Nintendo. They've put themselves in this pickle.

Their strange anti-piracy obsession has cost them major third-party support (PS2 and XBox seem to be doing fine using non-proprietary DVD technology).

Also, they can't seem to get their heads around the notion that much of their audience is now adult. Outside of the RE franchise, Eternal Darkness and the MGS remake, how many adult-oriented games are on the 'Cube? And there's the console itself, which looks like a gumball machine, and the incredibly odd controller that makes playing fighting games nigh-impossible.

It's a shame, because their games are great, but Nintendo is the author of their own troubles. (Sounds like Sega, doesn't it....?)

EDIT -- Just thought of that weird GC-GBA connectivity campaign Nintendo undertook to try and paper over the fact they weren't doing ANY online gaming support. WTF was that all about? Another nail in Nintendo's coffin....[/quote]

Well stated. I grew up playing NES and SNES. I got into N64 late and got a GC this year (I also own every other system, I'm not a fanboy). Nintendo's actions starting with the N64 using cartridges has led to their downfall. Yet they don't seem to care b/c they haven't changed their ways. They don't care about third party support at all. I think they should get out of the hardware business and pull a Sega, making software for the other systems. Wouldn't that be cheaper and more profitable? But like most old Japanese companies, they have too much pride.

[quote name='weaponx666'][quote name='dennis_t'][quote name='Rig']Millions of people are missing out on some of the greatest games ever made by skipping over Gamecube. Nintendo just can't get a break in this day and age... :([/quote]

EDIT -- Just thought of that weird GC-GBA connectivity campaign Nintendo undertook to try and paper over the fact they weren't doing ANY online gaming support. WTF was that all about? Another nail in Nintendo's coffin....[/quote]

Well stated. I grew up playing NES and SNES. I got into N64 late and got a GC this year (I also own every other system, I'm not a fanboy). Nintendo's actions starting with the N64 using cartridges has led to their downfall. Yet they don't seem to care b/c they haven't changed their ways. They don't care about third party support at all. I think they should get out of the hardware business and pull a Sega, making software for the other systems. Wouldn't that be cheaper and more profitable? But like most old Japanese companies, they have too much pride.[/quote]

Everyone bashes Nintendo but the thing everyone fails to realize is if they pulled out of the Hardware game we would end up with the same crap FOREVER. Sony and Microsoft haven't done much in terms of innovating. Nintendo goes out of there way to create new games and gameplay. We all know it doesn't always succeed but they are willing to take the risk. They are obviously no longer the favorite but I celebrate them for trying new things. I grew up on the 8-bit Nintendo. If Nintendo didn't exist the playstation and the xbox would have never been made. If Nintendo packs it in Sony and Microsoft would play the who's hardware is better game with more polygons and pixels but with no heart. What do most people really want here? Fun games or better graphics? I'd rather have something fun. Not saying that Nintendo hasn't made some stupid moves but the deserve a lot more respect than they get.

I'll agree that some of Nintendo's actions were, well, downright baffling, but I don't believe that they are the cause of their own "downfall?" That's not the word I want, but oh well. For starters, I know people (quite a few actually) that have illegal copies of Xbox and PS2 games, so I can see why Nintendo went with the minis. Also, why does this mean they lose third-parties? It is easier to make a GC game rather than a PS2 game yes? I believe the reason third-parties dislike the Cube is becuase the PS2 and Xbox are the "cool" systems to own. I know many people own these systems, but don't really play many games. Yet, these are who the market caters to. Sure, the GC controller doesn't work well with fighters, but seriously, do you care about fighters? Personally, I do, becuase it is my favorite genre. That didn't stop SouCal II from doing well. IMO, the control style they used was very good on the Cube. Fighters don't sell that well anyway, in most cases. I agree that Nintendo has made some bad moves, but saying they are causing themselves to fail is a little bit of a stretch, IMO.

[quote name='Rig']I'll agree that some of Nintendo's actions were, well, downright baffling, but I don't believe that they are the cause of their own "downfall?" That's not the word I want, but oh well. For starters, I know people (quite a few actually) that have illegal copies of Xbox and PS2 games, so I can see why Nintendo went with the minis. Also, why does this mean they lose third-parties? It is easier to make a GC game rather than a PS2 game yes? I believe the reason third-parties dislike the Cube is becuase the PS2 and Xbox are the "cool" systems to own. I know many people own these systems, but don't really play many games. Yet, these are who the market caters to. Sure, the GC controller doesn't work well with fighters, but seriously, do you care about fighters? Personally, I do, becuase it is my favorite genre. That didn't stop SouCal II from doing well. IMO, the control style they used was very good on the Cube. Fighters don't sell that well anyway, in most cases. I agree that Nintendo has made some bad moves, but saying they are causing themselves to fail is a little bit of a stretch, IMO.[/quote]

First, I said "downfall" b/c Nintendo used to lead the market in home consoles. They were a juggernaut back in the heyday of 8-bit and 16-bit systems. Now they are a pathetic shell of their former selves.

Second, Nintendo's insistance on weird formats for copy protection reasons is ridiculous. Yeah, some of your friends have illegal copies of Xbox and PS2 games. So? Those systems still sell FAR more copies of legal games than the GC does. Look at GTA:SA and Halo 2. Those in the know could have gotten those games illegally well in advance of the release dates. Yet they still sold over 2.5 million each, and probably still selling well. Nintendo's anti-piracy ways are stupid and is one of the things that has hurt them in the long run. Also, it's not like it's simple to play illegal Xbox/PS2 games. It's something involved and the average person has no clue how to do it. The type of people that participate in this are few and far between.

Nintendo loses 3rd parties because of their unorthodox format (which costs more to make), higher licensing fees, and lack of an installed base. Why would a company want to pay money for a GC release when not many people have the systems? This means it won't sell as well as the Xbox/PS2 versions. A game publisher does not care if a system is "cool". This is ridiculous. They want to sell the most copies of a game that they can. They do this by publishing on the systems that have the greatest user base. Simple.

Also, Nintendo is arrogant and does not care too much about 3rd party publishers, so they don't even try to cater to them. This has been stated in many interviews of Nintendo higher ups! This leads to the controller. Like the N64 controller, the GC controller was designed for ONE game primarily. Miyamoto, while good at creating games, seems kinda close minded when it comes to games other than his own. He wanted a controller with one big button to do as much as possible in his Mario game. Like the N64 controller, which was designed with Mario 64 in mind. 3rd party games suffer when they try to adapt to this awkward design. Yes, the controller DOES matter very much, since this is how you, the user, interface with the system.

Due to their actions, Nintendo is not the market leader they once were. Granted, they rule handheld gaming, but they have no competition. Also, they tried something unique with the DS and I don't believe it is doing as well as the GBA was at the same time in it's life. I think many people will get a PSP since Sony systems are the market leader right now. Even if the games aren't so good, people will still buy it.

Nintendo has put themselves in a niche market now. You only buy a Nintendo system to buy Nintendo games, not anything else. This is what people need to realize. I already have. I was a Nintendo fanboy for years until I realized what they have done. I still think they make some of the greatest games ever. But they are not good with hardware. They are quickly becoming like Sega was. I bought my GC to play Nintendo games, the Zeldas and Metroids. For everything else I get the Xbox or PS2 version. I hate reading letters in the gaming mags about how "game x isn't coming to GC". Don't expect it to, unless Nintendo publishes it.

Nintendo doesn't need to innovate with hardware, b/c they haven't done so. They always talk up how their next console will revolution gaming, but have they ever done it? See another thread about what they are saying about their next system. I would say it is mostly hype and will be no different than Xbox2/PS3. If it is too radical, people won't buy it anyway. See: Virtual Boy. Each new console generation will be more powerful/better graphics/etc. They only thing that will change in the near future will be how we interface with it. Nintendo should pull out of home hardware and do what it does best: make the best games in the world.

i agree 100%

all my friends give me shit (I'm 24 years old BTW) for owning a gamecube...but some of my favorite games from this generation are on the cube.....i loved MP2 and I plan on getting many more games....f the haters

[quote name='greendj27']I'm curious what the sales numbers actually were. One fifth of Halo 2 and GTA could still be a lot. Those two were probably the biggest sellers of the year. It might not have sold as poorly as you think.[/quote]

i saw on ign i believe it was, that it sold somewhere in the 700K area so far, and that it sold worse then the first metroid prime did

Man what happend to the good old days when it was good to be different? So many people hate Nintendo for being different but hate EA for trying to become one big monopoly(or so it seems). MP2 didnt sell as good as the first but it still sold way more than many games ever do.
As for RE4 i think it will sell very well due to the great reviews and it being exclusive along with the fact that it isnt coming out around the same time as Halo 2 and GTA SA which have much bigger fan base.

As for Nintendo being a pathetic shell of its former self, you might feel the same way once sony and microsoft are into their 4th or 5th system instead of their first. Nintendo does rely on old names to bring in the cash but they are the only ones trying to bring new types of gameplay up. I loved connectivity in 4 swords and pac man vs and although it was harder to get together and play then online play it was well worth having.

As for controllers, they all grow on you after a while. Sure cube controller sucks for fighting games but so does Xbox IMO. I thought N64 controller sucked but yet i love using it to this day for every N64 game i own.

I own both a Cube and an Xbox. Love both systems and would probably own a PS2 execpt there is only so much time for gaming. More consoles on the market only makes the consumer the real winner.

Is RE4 a little more user friendly than the others in terms of control and view?

RE4 will be a HUGE success; I can't wait to see the first month numbers on it in a few weeks. We not only sold out our allotment of games (around 85), we also sold around 20 Gamecube systems Wednesday. If similar things are happening around the country, it's great news all around for Capcom and Nintendo.

Nintendo has NO (I repeat) NO reason to go software only. They are the one consistent gaming company that makes money. They are consistently in the black (I think the first time they took loses was very recently, and it was shocking because they hadnt taken a loss in a long time). This leads me to believe that they know what the hell they are doing financially. Sega had to go software only because of their lack of finances. The DC wasn't selling enough to keep them afloat.

I got MP2 for Christmas. I played it, got lost for a while, stumbled to a boss, and died.
Ow.
I don't know, I doubt it's something lacking from the game but maybe I'm losing taste for the Metroid Prime thing. I went to the Dark World and got my ass kicked from the stupid poison gas. =/

Anyway, a little back on topic, Paper Mario 2 was...meh.
A big meh.
I played it, got up to the 5th star, lost interest.
I played Super Mario RPG. It was awesome.
I played Paper Mario. It was awesome.
Paper Mario 2, was awesome, then kinda lost me with repetition. It then hit me, the plots are all the same. Tried and true, but boring and same. 7 stars, save the princess/world/piece of pie/Nintendo/whatever.

Nintendo...I love it for Zelda. Ocarina of Time was the best game on the N64. If they could replicate the fun and for crying out loud Nintendo, don't put in 3 day time limits, then the GCN game would be awesome, possibly saving the GCN.

This is where I stop and eagerly wait for the Revolution.
(Though, I am a Star-Fox fan. Nothing better than Star Fox, even Zelda. Star Fox for SNES = best game developed by Nintendo ever.)

RE4 is something special. Im incredibly curious on how many copies this will sell over the next month. I bought it. I dont own, nor like, the other RE games. The change in visuals and control make it both accesable to many more people than the other games, while not alienating fans of the series.

MP2 was nothing new...which, apparently, is now bad. i remeber wanting a new Megaman game/Metroid/street fighter...and the sequels were never THAT different. And hell, i STILL enjoy them.

its all about pricing......I have 30 gamecube games but I'm not buying these last 6-8 games I need until they drop to 20.....I'm sick and tired of paying 50 and then 2 months later their 20 buy 1 get 1 free......I'm waiting off to buy these.....Well I might buy RE4 I'm not sure yet.....Bottom line is I will never pay 50 dollars for a game again unless it's amazing....Nintendo basically refuses to use voice acting and alot of cgi....Until they do that I'm not going to shell out the cash..

Zelda 4 swords
Pikmin 2
RE4
Mario Tennis
Metroid Echoes
Paper Mario
Donkey Konga
Starfox the new one

If nintendo wanted to make money they would start doing the bonus discs again will emulated n64 games....I mean why not a Mario Allstars disc with mario 1-3 and the snes games with updated graphics, and through mario 64 on there....Or why not a Nintendo Allstars package? 2 discs full of their greatest old games up to n64 and maybe a excluisive game for gamecube and sell it for 50....I'd pay 50 for that....But I'm not going to pay 50 for a game like donkey konga that has the replay value of a dead hooker

Nintendo basically refuses to use voice acting and alot of cgi....Until they do that I'm not going to shell out the cash..

ouch. I'll understand the voice acting (ww would have been much better with it...), but using "alot of cgi"? Thats just stupid. Seriously, go rent RE4, and see how the system can do in-game cutscenes that look just as good as cgi in %99 of the other games. Other companies could use that little brick of a machine to put out visually amazing games that rival the best of xbox...but dont. Nintendo can be blamed for that too, but thier at least doing the Zelda they should have had 2+ years ago.

Zelda game will sell systems.

My cousin wants a GC just for Zelda.

Zelda is a whole lot more popular that the RE series ever will be.

[quote name='Weedy649']Man what happend to the good old days when it was good to be different? So many people hate Nintendo for being different but hate EA for trying to become one big monopoly(or so it seems). MP2 didnt sell as good as the first but it still sold way more than many games ever do.
As for RE4 i think it will sell very well due to the great reviews and it being exclusive along with the fact that it isnt coming out around the same time as Halo 2 and GTA SA which have much bigger fan base.

As for Nintendo being a pathetic shell of its former self, you might feel the same way once sony and microsoft are into their 4th or 5th system instead of their first. Nintendo does rely on old names to bring in the cash but they are the only ones trying to bring new types of gameplay up. I loved connectivity in 4 swords and pac man vs and although it was harder to get together and play then online play it was well worth having.

As for controllers, they all grow on you after a while. Sure cube controller sucks for fighting games but so does Xbox IMO. I thought N64 controller sucked but yet i love using it to this day for every N64 game i own.[/quote]

I don't think anyone's saying that being different is a bad thing, but being different with a poor design is.

The iMac was something different, with a killer design, and it is selling like hotcakes.

But Nintendo's hardware suffers from very poor design. Three examples:

--The console itself, which seems aimed at dissuading adult gamers from taking the 'Cube seriously. Cutesy purple box with a cutesy plastic handle? You've got to be pretty secure in your own maturity level to pick that thing up without feeling somewhat the dork.

--The software medium, which as earlier noted boosts a third-party publisher's production costs for no other reason than to satisfy Nintendo's piracy paranioa. The mini-discs also force publishers to use godawful video compression, which means any CG cutscenes are automatically going to look worse on the 'Cube than on the Xbox or PS2.

--The controller, which was designed for one or two Nintendo games to the detriment of any other game on the system. Let's face it, if you need anything more than the A, B and shoulder buttons to play a 'Cube game, you are screwed. And the little yellow analog stick is (1) way too small and (2) way too sensitive. [As an aside, the original Xbox controller also sucked, and what happened? Microsoft redesigned it.]

Nintendo had better start designing its systems to satisfy the customer, rather than its designers' own narrow interests, if the company wants to remain viable. Right now, the Game Boy Advance is the only thing keeping Nintendo in the black, and the PSP is right around the corner.....

[quote name='dennis_t'][quote name='Weedy649']Man what happend to the good old days when it was good to be different? So many people hate Nintendo for being different but hate EA for trying to become one big monopoly(or so it seems). MP2 didnt sell as good as the first but it still sold way more than many games ever do.

As for controllers, they all grow on you after a while. Sure cube controller sucks for fighting games but so does Xbox IMO. I thought N64 controller sucked but yet i love using it to this day for every N64 game i own.[/quote]

I don't think anyone's saying that being different is a bad thing, but being different with a poor design is.

The iMac was something different, with a killer design, and it is selling like hotcakes.

--The console itself, which seems aimed at dissuading adult gamers from taking the 'Cube seriously. Cutesy purple box with a cutesy plastic handle? You've got to be pretty secure in your own maturity level to pick that thing up without feeling somewhat the dork.

--The software medium, which as earlier noted boosts a third-party publisher's production costs for no other reason than to satisfy Nintendo's piracy paranioa. The mini-discs also force publishers to use godawful video compression, which means any CG cutscenes are automatically going to look worse on the 'Cube than on the Xbox or PS2.

--The controller, which was designed for one or two Nintendo games to the detriment of any other game on the system. Let's face it, if you need anything more than the A, B and shoulder buttons to play a 'Cube game, you are screwed. And the little yellow analog stick is (1) way too small and (2) way too sensitive. [As an aside, the original Xbox controller also sucked, and what happened? Microsoft redesigned it.]

Nintendo had better start designing its systems to satisfy the customer, rather than its designers' own narrow interests, if the company wants to remain viable. Right now, the Game Boy Advance is the only thing keeping Nintendo in the black, and the PSP is right around the corner.....[/quote]

Sorry but this is about the dumbest post I have read all year.

You do realize that you are on a video game website right? Your not preaching to some guy working at best Buy or one of your friends.

First the 'Purple" cube is gone. There may be some more but there is also Black (unless that color makes you question your "maturity") and Platinum....

As for the disc I cant say much there. Nintendo has always done this sort of thing. It does help on piracy which helps on revenue. both PS2 and Xbox games are pretty easy to get bootlegged now. The disc size does limit it somewhat but the games will stand up to any other game out on the current gen system, if done right.

I dont know who helped you develop your motor skills but there must be something wrong. I mean if you ask your brain to touch your nose do you need the light on to do it?
The damn buttons are all there. If you gave the controller some play time more than a glance, then you would realize it works fine and fits most peoples hands like a glove. Its contoured just right for 90% of the people I have seen play it.

Microsof t redesigned the controller to a controller S and its still didnt sell worth shit in Japan. Thats flawed logic.
The biggest reason that the Cube is not doing as well as it should is hype. Nintendo is just starting to learn they have to hype shit up to sell it. They need to market it well (no purple colors) and show game footage.
I have never heard someone say the gamecube is in third because of its controller design. Until now.

[quote name='dennis_t']

Nintendo had better start designing its systems to satisfy the customer, rather than its designers' own narrow interests, if the company wants to remain viable. Right now, the Game Boy Advance is the only thing keeping Nintendo in the black, and the PSP is right around the corner.....[/quote]

Yes, these points are spot on.

[quote name='Snake2715']

Sorry but this is about the dumbest post I have read all year.

You do realize that you are on a video game website right? Your not preaching to some guy working at best Buy or one of your friends.

First the 'Purple" cube is gone. There may be some more but there is also Black (unless that color makes you question your "maturity") and Platinum....

As for the disc I cant say much there. Nintendo has always done this sort of thing. It does help on piracy which helps on revenue. both PS2 and Xbox games are pretty easy to get bootlegged now. The disc size does limit it somewhat but the games will stand up to any other game out on the current gen system, if done right.

I dont know who helped you develop your motor skills but there must be something wrong. I mean if you ask your brain to touch your nose do you need the light on to do it?
The damn buttons are all there. If you gave the controller some play time more than a glance, then you would realize it works fine and fits most peoples hands like a glove. Its contoured just right for 90% of the people I have seen play it.

Microsof t redesigned the controller to a controller S and its still didnt sell worth shit in Japan. Thats flawed logic.
The biggest reason that the Cube is not doing as well as it should is hype. Nintendo is just starting to learn they have to hype shit up to sell it. They need to market it well (no purple colors) and show game footage.
I have never heard someone say the gamecube is in third because of its controller design. Until now.[/quote]

First, don't try to talk all high and mighty b/c u think u know something. Your post is the dumbest all year and exists for no reason other than to waste space.

The "purple" GC is still readily available. Strike one. The primary color of the GC when it launched was the indigo and that is the color you see in the ad campaigns.

As to the software medium, you agreed with the previous post. We know Nintendo has always used odd formats in the name of anti-piracy. But have any studies been done showing proprietary formats prevent piracy? Those in the know can still pirate GC games. Those in the know are a small minority so it does not have as major effect on software sales as Nintendo would have you believe. If it did, don't you think MS and Sony would have chosen proprietary formats for their software?

The GC controller is sufficient, but not as good as the PS2 or Xbox controllers. Nintendo execs have admitted in interviews that it was designed specifically for one or two games with no thought to third party support. This is a fact. Our point is that Nintendo should be cooperative and welcoming to outside software developers, not arrogant and believing that they don't need them. I admit I love the way the GC controller feels and fits in my hand, but the button placement is awkward. I make due.

YOUR logic is flawed. The Controller S was the only controller ever available for Xbox in Japan. That's not the reason the Xbox has not done well there. Also, you blame poor Japanese Xbox sales on the controller. People don't buy a systm based soley on the controller. The Xbox has not done well in Japan b/c it's an American system designed for the US and doesn't have much support from the Japanese game developers. Also, 90% of the people you see is not a large number consider gamers number in the millions worldwide.

If the redesign was so horrible, why is it that the S is what comes standard with the Xbox now? No one said GC is third b/c of controller design, if you would actually read before you posted your opinions. But their controller design does show that Nintendo is not willing to think of outside software developers, which is a mistake. That, among others, is one of the reasons why they are in third.

Hopefully the new Zelda will make a lot of noise for Nintendo.

But am I the only one who hopes they still do a WW sequel? I loved that game and it's art style.

[quote name='megashock5']Hopefully the new Zelda will make a lot of noise for Nintendo.

But am I the only one who hopes they still do a WW sequel? I loved that game and it's art style.[/quote]

I'm with you. I thought the Wind Waker was great.

Still, besides World of Warcraft, my GC is the only system I'm playing right now (I have all 3). The last 3 games I got were Paper Mario, Metroid 2 and Resident Evil 4, and thats about 80-100 hours of gameplay I have waiting for me.

The one thing I can say about my GC is, when Nintendo makes a game or system, they do it right, and Gamecube games are usually the only games I play straight through without even thinking about other games. I got 10 hours into GTA:SA and lost interest. I've only played the occasional Live game of Halo 2 since November 10th. But ask me in two months what I've completed, and I'll have played all the way through RE4, MP2 and I'll be toward the end of Paper Mario. Those are just the kind of games the GC has.

[quote name='Wshakspear']RE4 is something special. Im incredibly curious on how many copies this will sell over the next month. I bought it. I dont own, nor like, the other RE games. The change in visuals and control make it both accesable to many more people than the other games, while not alienating fans of the series.

MP2 was nothing new...which, apparently, is now bad. i remeber wanting a new Megaman game/Metroid/street fighter...and the sequels were never THAT different. And hell, i STILL enjoy them.[/quote]

Can't agree more with this post. Resident Evil has always been a pretty boring series to me, but the more I read about RE4, the more interested I became. On a lark, I ordered the tin, and am I ever happy I did.

And in further agreeance, I cannot BELIEVE the crap that's being thrown about MP2 being too similar to MP1. Last time I checked, Metroid Prime was one of the most highly rated games of all time. So for some reason it's supposed to be different? I could not get enough of MP, and I couldn't be happier with more of the same.

bread's done
Back