Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D - $39.99 w/free $10 Gift Card at BB

A lot of the anger from blog posts and the comments don't seem to understand the purpose of the RE Mercs save file or the mechanics of the game - leaderboards and unlocks. Other than buying the game used, I can't see a good reason to want to go through the game again to unlock characters and reset your best scores.

[quote name='topplehat']No chance I'm buying this game with the way they handle save files.[/QUOTE]

just saw that news - while it doesn't specifically affect me as I would probably play this until it shattered if I had a 3ds (please tell me the game sucks so I don't buy a 3ds), the locked save game concept is completely ridiculous. It's also a sure fire way to permanently lower release day retail price points once people find out they can't get a decent tiv for it. They'll end up hurting themselves, not the used market.

But, that's a total thread derailment. Good on BB for really stepping up lately.

[quote name='lombarvm']Just a heads up that this game will be $29.99 @ KMart starting this Sunday.[/QUOTE]

I skimmed the KM thread, and maybe I'm just blind... but do you know if this will be in the ad so I can pricematch, or is it going to be on the blog?

Thanks!

[quote name='topplehat']No chance I'm buying this game with the way they handle save files.[/QUOTE]

People are really blowing this out of proportion. This isn't a story-centric RE game, it's a pickup and play title with MP.

Plus the game isn't worth $40 anyway regardless of locked saves or not.

[quote name='SkyMasterson']People are really blowing this out of proportion. This isn't a story-centric RE game, it's a pickup and play title with MP.

Plus the game isn't worth $40 anyway regardless of locked saves or not.[/QUOTE]
People don't let things like facts and logic get in the way of anger and disgust.

Meh, i'll bite on this game if it goes under 30$, or some place has another B1G1 50% deal (Seeing as i still want BlazBlue 3DS).

Either way, gotta admit that was a pretty low move by Capcom

[quote name='outphase']People don't let things like facts and logic get in the way of anger and disgust.[/QUOTE]

Do you think the game is going to be able to have any kind of trade-in value? Because yeah, with the game style it is, it might not be something you want to play forever. And if you can't trade it in, the game's more expensive than normal thanks to this.

Buy it for $30, finished with it in a month at most, get $15 back for, game only cost $15. Can't trade it in at all, and it costs the $30. That's logical.

I know Capcom has said it won't effect the used game market, but cmon, why else do this?

It's like others say, it's another drm. Thankfully the garbage they almost pulled with the PC version of street fighter 4 ae was caught in time so they backed off thanks to outcry, this is far too late for anyone to do anything about. Funny this was the case after the backlash for their previous title huh?

[quote name='SkyMasterson']People are really blowing this out of proportion. This isn't a story-centric RE game, it's a pickup and play title with MP.

Plus the game isn't worth $40 anyway regardless of locked saves or not.[/QUOTE]

It's a tactic to curb used game sales and nothing more. I don't want to support that line of thinking and design.

[quote name='outphase']A lot of the anger from blog posts and the comments don't seem to understand the purpose of the RE Mercs save file or the mechanics of the game - leaderboards and unlocks. Other than buying the game used, I can't see a good reason to want to go through the game again to unlock characters and reset your best scores.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='Neg']Do you think the game is going to be able to have any kind of trade-in value? Because yeah, with the game style it is, it might not be something you want to play forever. And if you can't trade it in, the game's more expensive than normal thanks to this.

Buy it for $30, finished with it in a month at most, get $15 back for, game only cost $15. Can't trade it in at all, and it costs the $30. That's logical.

I know Capcom has said it won't effect the used game market, but cmon, why else do this?[/QUOTE]

I do and it may or may not, but its fun to pick and play once in a while.

Trade ins are based off popularity and gamestop will accept it. In the event they wont someone on Ebay/Cag will buy it. There will always be uninformed gamers and in some cases people happy to have the work done for them.

Wow so you can't start a new game and can't go back to a previous progress, making this a one-time only playthrough 40 rental that's worthless once the game has been beaten. What a ripoff.

[quote name='rumblebear']Wow so you can't start a new game and can't go back to a previous progress, making this a one-time only playthrough 40 rental that's worthless once the game has been beaten. What a ripoff.[/QUOTE]
This isn't the type of game where you'd play through it just once. This game is designed around the idea playing through the game countless times while you try to out do your previous best scores. It's basically Pac-man with zombies instead of ghosts.

I was going to use my 25 dollar gift card from the zelda deal last week. after what I'm reading, I ain't gonna buy.

Meh, i'd prefer to buy the game that doesnt have a pass at all, and just buy games with passes when they are super cheap so i can laugh at thier respective developers.

I respect everyone's opinion on the save files thing, but honestly it just does not bother me. I don't generally buy games with concern over reselling them in mind, which makes me a weird CAG I guess but there it is.

I'm getting mine tomorrow and I am super excited. I love the idea of a AAA pick-up-and-play game for rides on the bus or on a plane.

I find it funny you cant even corrupt your save by yanking out your cart when its saving xD.

Though, seeing how cheap it ended up in Japan (As far as reselling and buying), i would want to waste my money on this, especially with so many other games coming out.

[quote name='WatTsu']I respect everyone's opinion on the save files thing, but honestly it just does not bother me. I don't generally buy games with concern over reselling them in mind, which makes me a weird CAG I guess but there it is.

I'm getting mine tomorrow and I am super excited. I love the idea of a AAA pick-up-and-play game for rides on the bus or on a plane.[/QUOTE]

I second this :)

Gonna place an order for in store pick up so I can get the gift card and still pick up the game tomorrow, the one save thing doesn't bother me cause I keep all my games and this game is one where I would just like to always have all of the characters.

I just did an order for instore pick-up and noticed at the confirmation screen I wasn't charged sales tax. Then I clicked submit and got the following message:

Our tax calculation system is temporarily down. Your current order total does not reflect sales tax or other applicable taxes. However, you will be charged tax for this order.

That's kind of odd huh? Just wanted to see if it happened to anyone else

[quote name='MoCiWe']Gonna place an order for in store pick up so I can get the gift card and still pick up the game tomorrow, the one save thing doesn't bother me cause I keep all my games and this game is one where I would just like to always have all of the characters.[/QUOTE]

There is no save manager so there should be no way past malicious* activity to remove it.

* Hacking, Modding, Removing the cart while saving, etc.

Yeah, this anti-used game sales approach is definitely low (and will backfire on them), but right now I'm more aggravated with Capcom for saying they're not going to localize Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

Just as a heads-up, I picked up my copy from Gamestop and was informed that GS, at least, will not be buying the game back. Period.

[quote name='WatTsu']Just as a heads-up, I picked up my copy from Gamestop and was informed that GS, at least, will not be buying the game back. Period.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, thats fail

[quote name='WatTsu']Just as a heads-up, I picked up my copy from Gamestop and was informed that GS, at least, will not be buying the game back. Period.[/QUOTE]

Wait, definitely? Are you in the U.S.?

Odd I bought at gamestop and was not informed. As I posted on another site I would like to add this game is REALLY quick to unlock things. I have under an hour and almost unlocked every stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='admiralvic']Odd I bought at gamestop and was not informed. As I posted on another site I would like to add this game is REALLY quick to unlock things. I have under an hour and almost unlocked every stage.[/QUOTE]
Oh noes! The game is useless now because you cannot delete your save, and you have done everything :roll:

Capcom wins

[quote name='morrodox']Yeah, this anti-used game sales approach is definitely low (and will backfire on them), but right now I'm more aggravated with Capcom for saying they're not going to localize Ace Attorney Investigations 2.[/QUOTE]
I'm failing to see how it's low for them to alter their software to stop accommodating a business that directly competes with them using their own products? Some of you are acting like the used game market doesn't greatly affect their sales, or maybe you're forgetting that this is a business like any other where profitability is the first priority.

I'd really appreciate it if the next person to say it's low could elaborate on how it's at all bad for anyone but GameStop, aside from the inconvenience that it creates for consumers that usually sell their games now having to wait for a price drop to end up with a similar cost to themselves (though in a perfect world, eliminating the used game market would result in lower prices on games from the get-go).

Apparently it wasn't done to kill used game sales:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/capco...l-the-mercenaries-3d-lacking-data-reset/3430/

"Secondhand game sales were not a factor in this development decision," said the company, "so we hope that all our consumers will be able to enjoy the entirety of the survival-action experiences that the game does offer."
If used games aren't the issue, what is? Is there a technical reason that's preventing them from including data reset? That part's not totally clear, but here's what Capcom said.
"In Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, all mission progress is saved directly to the Nintendo 3DS cartridge, where it cannot be reset," said the company. "The nature of the game invites high levels of replayability in order to improve mission scores. In addition, this feature does not remove any content available for users."

"In Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, all mission progress is saved directly to the Nintendo 3DS cartridge, where it cannot be reset," said the company.
Even if their spin on this was true, which I highly doubt it is, Capcom didn't seem to go out of their way to find a more sensible solution for their customers.

[quote name='Thrinn']Even if their spin on this was true, which I highly doubt it is, Capcom didn't seem to go out of their way to find a more sensible solution for their customers.[/QUOTE]

I don't really buy it. You can definitely reset/overwrite data from a 3DS cartridge. I don't think they did it to screw over the resale market, I just think their devs for the game are fucking retarded

[quote name='ssjmichael']I don't really buy it. You can definitely reset/overwrite data from a 3DS cartridge. I don't think they did it to screw over the resale market, I just think their devs for the game are fucking retarded[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure its true, they are even using some sort of double save protection so that you cant even forcibly corrupt it to start over.

[quote name='Shinpachi']I'm failing to see how it's low for them to alter their software to stop accommodating a business that directly competes with them using their own products? Some of you are acting like the used game market doesn't greatly affect their sales, or maybe you're forgetting that this is a business like any other where profitability is the first priority.

I'd really appreciate it if the next person to say it's low could elaborate on how it's at all bad for anyone but GameStop, aside from the inconvenience that it creates for consumers that usually sell their games now having to wait for a price drop to end up with a similar cost to themselves (though in a perfect world, eliminating the used game market would result in lower prices on games from the get-go).[/QUOTE]
Well, considering that you can't reset the game game at all and you only have ONE save file I'd say that is a big problem. What if your friend wants to borrow the game? Brother, sister? Nope. The only thing they can do is continue your progress. So if you have played everything and unlocked everything then they are S.O.L.
[quote name='ssjmichael']Apparently it wasn't done to kill used game sales:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/capco...l-the-mercenaries-3d-lacking-data-reset/3430/[/QUOTE]
That makes no sense at all and I call complete B.S.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I don't really buy it. You can definitely reset/overwrite data from a 3DS cartridge[/QUOTE]

Yeah. If they can write a value of "1" to your save file to signify that you've unlocked a particular gun, what in the 3DS's design would prevent them from writing a value of "0" to lock it again?

Wouldn't it be possible for someone to remove the cartridge from the system while the game is saving to intentionally corrupt the save file, forcing the game to reset everything?

bread's done
Back