Retro Game Challenge (GameCenter CX in Japan) Feb 10

[quote name='Dead of Knight']How long does it take to get Guadia Quest unlocked? It's the only game I care about in the collection, sucks I have to beat all the challenges for almost every other game to unlock it.[/QUOTE]

It's the second-to-the-last game that's unlocked. So you have to beat the challenges in:
-Cosmic Gate
-Haggleman
-Rally King
-Star Prince
-Rally King SP
-Haggleman 2

This game is pure awesome! I started playing my copy last night and have so far cleared Cosmic Gate, Haggle Man, Rally King, Star Prince, and am one challenge away from wrapping up Rally King SP.:bouncy:

I don't understand why a lot of people online are hating on Rally King....I think it's great. Then again, I've always loved top down racers, so there you go.

I consider this an essential purchase!:applause:

[quote name='Knoxximus']This game is pure awesome! I started playing my copy last night and have so far cleared Cosmic Gate, Haggle Man, Rally King, Star Prince, and am one challenge away from wrapping up Rally King SP.:bouncy:

I don't understand why a lot of people online are hating on Rally King....I think it's great. Then again, I've always loved top down racers, so there you go.

I consider this an essential purchase!:applause:[/QUOTE]

the haters dont understand that this game is taking everything vintage from the famicom games. Bad controls,crazy tracks,cheat codes...its everything that Arino has to deal with when he is playing a game on his show. I think if those haters see Game Center CX, they will understand how truly retro and close these games are to their actual counter parts.

i agree, any CAG and any DS owner would love this. its pick up and play but also addictive too.

[quote name='integralsmatic']the haters dont understand that this game is taking everything vintage from the famicom games. Bad controls,crazy tracks,cheat codes...its everything that Arino has to deal with when he is playing a game on his show. I think if those haters see Game Center CX, they will understand how truly retro and close these games are to their actual counter parts.

i agree, any CAG and any DS owner would love this. its pick up and play but also addictive too.[/quote]

I loved the racing game. Reminded me of a hybrid of RC Pro Am and Off road. Of course the controls kind of suck but, thats how it was...back in the day. I just have the last challenge in the RPG left (beat the B4 level boss), not sure I'm going to go through the whole RPG but I will probably beat the other games 100%

Got this game today. It's awesome. I'm at Rally King now. I know I have the skillz to beat the challenges for it if I practice, but I think I might just cheese my way through it so I can get to Guadia Quest fast. :lol:

got damn... I got this game today and jus started playing it a while ago after being burnt out from playing DQIV all day...

omg this game is AWESOME!!!

This game is tough to find in Canada. Im an American and I guess I'm spoiled by the ease of game acquisition in the States. I've only lived here in "America's Hat" for a month or so, and it really takes a while for these lesser known games to become available.

I'm in the other camp (if there is one yet....if not, I'm the charter member) that isn't really looking forward to grinding out Guardia Quest. I REALLY wanna get on to Haggle Man 3, since It's supposed to be like NES Ninja Gaiden. I just haven't been in an RPG mood this year at all. Trying to slog through Last Remnant left a bad taste in my mouth.

I retract my statement. Maybe I was just at my limit last night. I'm working on the last challenge for Guardia Quest and I am enjoying it quite a bit.

Arggg, I'm so jealous! I wanna play the DQ2 rip-off too! ><

I've ordered it off Play-Asia and will probably have it in about a week or so.

I'll try to get to Guadia Quest as fast as I can and probably won't bother too much with any of the other games. Haggle Man 3 sounds kind of interesting though, so I might spend some extra time with that as well.

Just got to Star Prince.

this entire game is full of win and frosting. I was totally having NES moments with Rally King...lots of swearing while playing that one. :lol: Overall, the games are either easier than NES games or I got better.

level 3 of the first dungeon is kicking my ass. I can't seem to make it all the way through without 1 character dying. Can you buy any item to revive your character? Or do you have to keep on going to to the castle to get revived by the store guy?

Ok I've finally spent some major time with this game. First off, it's a VERY hard game to put down. Even when it's frustrating you, you don't want to put it down. This game is presented brilliantly. WELL worth the 30 bucks :) Playing this game, you'd swear you are living in 1984 or '85 and not 2009. The challenges are more than fair, nothing that you can't get past. Just on the harder challenges it might take several tries. Yes I've done my share of swearing at it especially through the Rally King portions. At the moment I am on the third Rally King SP challenge.

Overall, this is a game everyone should at least try, if not outright buy it. If you loved the NES you need it in your collection. Hell even if you just love older games period you owe it to yourself to buy it. Here's my short breakdown of thoughts on it:

Graphics: This game is a GREAT example of how graphics aren't always everything! A game can still be really fun, even with 8 bit graphics. It proves a game doesn't need 3D graphics, super special lighting effects and all that to be good :) The graphics are straight out of stuff you'd see on the NES. The graphics outside the games themselves are great though, easy to see and read.

Sound: The games sound just like games you'd find on the NES. Incidentally, I'm not sure how to express this but the sound quality is almost equal to that of the NES's sound chip. More than a few times I've been second guessing whether I'm playing a DS game or an NES game.

Play control: The games control excellent, suprisingly. Probably better than they would if they wrre actually on the NES. The only hiccup I'm seeing is with Rally King, occasionally turning can be hard and that game's controls and perspective may throw you off at first.

Overall, this game is worth every penny and I strongly urge people to go buy it. We need the sequel in English :)

My only complaint about this game is that the humor seems kind of mismatched. They know older people who have nostalgia for this stuff are the ones buying this game, but the humor seems aimed at pre-teens.

This game is very difficult to put down and more fun than I expected. bh7812 has it exactly right.

@homeland
You can find items to revive and get magic to revive later. For that first dungeon I just kept grinding on level 1 (by the healing spring) so I could make it the whole way down. I also had to warp back to the castle a lot. I think I was level 15.

[quote name='ToadallyAwesome']This game is very difficult to put down and more fun than I expected. bh7812 has it exactly right.

@homeland
You can find items to revive and get magic to revive later. For that first dungeon I just kept grinding on level 1 (by the healing spring) so I could make it the whole way down. I also had to warp back to the castle a lot. I think I was level 15.[/quote]

Yeah, when I completed the last Guadia Quest challenge, my party was lvl 16.

Ok, I've made it through to Star Prince and I love this game. I only wish the retro games were either longer or they had more of them! I know the RPG has a decent length time-wise and the free play mode will add some replay value, because every game on here has been legitimately fun. Still, a tad more variety would make it even better.

A lot of people might not notice if they've never seen/had original Famicom games, but the pictures of the games on the select screen are even styled/shaped like Famicom cartidges, and it's clearly supposed to be an original Famicom that the kids are playing in the bedroom. Too bad they didn't re-do those small details for the Western release so they'd look like the NES cartridges we grew up with!

I beat all the challenges and I thought I'd get some kind of ending. But, apparently you have to beat the challenges and ALL the games. I wouldn't mind doing all that but, putting 10 hours into guadia quest doesn't seem like something I'd want to do with all the other RPG's coming out. So not sure if I call it quits on this game or just plow through and beat guadia quest to actually beat the game.

For the final challenge:
Yeah, all the games have some sort of easy method for completion, usually mentioned in GameFan. Remember, you only need to see the ending or credits; it doesn't matter what you do to see it. So, you are free to use cheats (Haggleman games, Rally King), warps (Cosmic Gate, Guadia Quest somewhat), etc. to get the ending.

[quote name='Knoxximus']I'm in the other camp (if there is one yet....if not, I'm the charter member) that isn't really looking forward to grinding out Guardia Quest. I REALLY wanna get on to Haggle Man 3, since It's supposed to be like NES Ninja Gaiden. I just haven't been in an RPG mood this year at all. Trying to slog through Last Remnant left a bad taste in my mouth.[/QUOTE]

see this is a problem with me ... Im worried that i will be burned out on RPGS shortly.

I put in close to 30 hours on mY world my way over the last 2 weeks

Got this game today

Getting Dragon quest 5 thursday

picked up FE for the Ds today (though i will probally return it and just rent it)

and grabbing for rent next week Ys book 1 and 2 ( wont buy it cause i say this be 20 within a month)

and that new puzzle quest game

and maybe even blue dragon Plus (But heard a lot of bad reviews on this game so might pass on blue)

then i got

Pokemon Platinum Version
Suikoden Tierkreis
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Avalon Code
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time

all coming Mid March

Talk about RPG overload

what sort of sucks after that i Dont think there are any RPG games coming until JULY 09 or even later

they really needed to break these down more.... though i t would not shock me to see

Blue dragon VP and FF get pushed back

I've put a little time into this, I'm loving it so far. But I do think the criticisms about it have been pretty spot on, namely the lack of replayability. I mean, once I'm finished with the challenges for a particular game I have no incentive to play it again.

Having a few more games, and a lot more challenges would of been good.

[quote name='slidecage'].....lots of rpgs...

Pokemon Platinum Version
Suikoden Tierkreis
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Avalon Code
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time

all coming Mid March

Talk about RPG overload

what sort of sucks after that i Dont think there are any RPG games coming until JULY 09 or even later

[/QUOTE]shouldn't you be happy to have a break until July with the stack of rpgs you have!!

Well here is the sequel to Retro Game Challenge or Game Center CX Arino no Chousenjou.

Here are some games from Game Center CX Arino No Chousenjou 2. I think it appeases of some criticisms with more games but i have no clue about the challenges.

Cosmic Gate
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcJT6h0PFRw

Demon Returns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbrTcLMZ8mY

Wiz-Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwszrzgerAg

Kugure Gijiman MAX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbLm3lEgdCE

Kacho wa Meitantei
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_jTmCCQEDE

haguruman koume version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZGHDTVykfo

Gaudia Quest Saga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qkOCWTnLzc[/media]

Demon Returns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbrTcLMZ8mY

Oh man this one also needs to come here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that really needs to come here, I think those games look even better(and the games in RGC are great for the most part).

As for the first one, I'm up to Rally King SP now. I've noticed the challenge difficulty tends to be related to how much I like the game genre. I love top down shooters, so I breezed through the Space Prince challenges. I can't say I've ever liked top down racers, so I definitely had a tougher time with Rally King.

game must be a love it or hate it game,, got it off gamefly today and probally will be returning it tomorrow or Thursday .... sort of find it very boring

im just on the 2nd game on the 4th stage (where you got to beat level 8) probally played it for hour or two

get all the PRINCE letters in stage one, and also kill the eye thing boss before a single piece of its armor attaches

(u get hella points if u kill that thing before it assembles)

seriously, sum1 hasnt been reading their GameFan so it seems

[quote name='JEKKI']get all the PRINCE letters in stage one, and also kill the eye thing boss before a single piece of its armor attaches

(u get hella points if u kill that thing before it assembles)

seriously, sum1 hasnt been reading their GameFan so it seems[/QUOTE]

i used the cheat code that made nothing could hurt you... flew past that car racing stage by using cheat codes as well

back to that door game ( cant stand that game)

I finally got my copy. I am up to the 2nd game in the challenge series now and am very impressed with the overall presentation. I do wish there were more challenges, at least ones that unlocked after completing the story. But I do see myself going back and playing them in independently afterwards, so it is not without replay value for me.

I'm loving Gaudia Quest. After all the short games that have come before it, I'm surprised at the length/depth of the game, even if you do level up rather quickly. I love how crisp the sprites are, it makes it feel like more than just a DQ ripoff (which I'd be totally ok with!)

I also really like the system for determining the quality of the hits. I'm sure most RPGs use some kind of internal slot machine to determine critical hits, misses, etc but being able to see it is kind of cool. I kind of wish they would make this into it's own full, fleshed-out game because it's very well made!

do u guys buy new equipment in Gaudia Quest??

it's real hard to since u dont kno how it affects your stats,

but when u are at like level 7 you are doing what seems to be real good damage, u dont really see the need to buy new equipment

Oh slidecage....

[quote name='JEKKI']do u guys buy new equipment in Gaudia Quest??

it's real hard to since u dont kno how it affects your stats,

but when u are at like level 7 you are doing what seems to be real good damage, u dont really see the need to buy new equipment[/QUOTE]

Uh dude, just save your game before buying, reset if the equipment sucks. Makes sense since you can save anywhere.

[quote name='JEKKI']do u guys buy new equipment in Gaudia Quest??

it's real hard to since u dont kno how it affects your stats[/quote]

Welcome to RPGs circa 1987. Heck, some modern games manage to exclude this accommodation. I was annoyed when I saw how it's set up, but I've played so many older RPGs that I got over it rather quickly.

As DoK said, the save-anywhere is your friend. Just like any other game, save 1st, go do it, and if your experiment has unsatisfactory results, load that shit.

[quote name='slidecage']what level do you need to be to beat the quest part ..

im all Level 18 and still can not kill the 4th floor boss (kill it)[/QUOTE]

i was at 17 and had no prolem...the 3rd char has a weaken spell, i used it twice on the boss and just spammed the heaviest attacks and spells

[quote name='homeland']i was at 17 and had no prolem...the 3rd char has a weaken spell, i used it twice on the boss and just spammed the heaviest attacks and spells[/QUOTE]

thanks , might try that tonight or just return it tonight ( 100% chance will return it to gamefly tomorrow) since i Dragon quest 5 should get here tonight andwill be sucking up all of my time

then hopefully FE will be here Saturday (thinking monday since gamefly shipped it from TAMPA BLEH)

need to return this game so i can either get
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix shipped out to me next weds and then upgrade to get Ys book 1and 2 shiped

can anyone confirm how much this is at Best Buy? it's listed on their site for $39.99 but out of stock. Just wondering if thats actually the in-store price since they're usually good with keeping with MSRP.

I have a $10 GC so if its actually $29.99 there I'll go grab it at lunch.. can't wait to play this

bread's done
Back