Retro Game Challenge (GameCenter CX in Japan) Feb 10

[quote name='smoger']can anyone confirm how much this is at Best Buy? it's listed on their site for $39.99 but out of stock. Just wondering if thats actually the in-store price since they're usually good with keeping with MSRP.

I have a $10 GC so if its actually $29.99 there I'll go grab it at lunch.. can't wait to play this[/QUOTE]

I haven't actually seen it in a Best Buy yet, and I've been to a bunch of them.

Just got it today, played through the Cosmic Gate and Haggleman challenges so far. Haven't been blown away by the games themselves, though they're great recreations of NES games.

Started this morning, already up to Guadia. Not too crazy about Guadia, but I really appreciate autobattle. DQ should incorporate it, but I guess then it would be even more apparent that the battle system needs work.

I actually liked Star Prince enough to beat it, but the ending wasn't really worth it. The Rally game I liked 100x better once I stopped trying to drift at all.

[quote name='pete5883']Started this morning, already up to Guadia. Not too crazy about Guadia, but I really appreciate autobattle. DQ should incorporate it, but I guess then it would be even more apparent that the battle system needs work.

I actually liked Star Prince enough to beat it, but the ending wasn't really worth it. The Rally game I liked 100x better once I stopped trying to drift at all.[/quote]Yeah, I was surprised at how easy the first course was just holding A 99% of the time.

I liked Star Prince quite a bit, not so sure I'll be thrilled to dig into Haggleman 2.

I have now warmed up to Guadia, I guess for the same reason I did to DQ I & II on GBC. So simple and so quick, its hard not to get hooked. Plus I swear sometimes that the enemy AI is on my side.

[quote name='pete5883']I have now warmed up to Guadia, I guess for the same reason I did to DQ I & II on GBC. So simple and so quick, its hard not to get hooked. Plus I swear sometimes that the enemy AI is on my side.[/quote]
:lol: They made it easy. I had my magic user down to 1 HP once, she was attacked twice after that and both times missed.

Made it to Haggleman 3 yesterday. That game by itself justifies the purchase of RGC. Not that the others were bad, I especially liked Star Prince & Guadia Quest. Star Prince needed to have way more than 4 levels though, and it may be the easiest shooter I've ever played.

Am I missing something or is there really no way to revive someone in Gaudia Quest? I know there theoretically exist items and spells to do that, but I haven't seen either as I'm hitting level 18. Generally liking the game, not enjoying having to continually stumble onto the correct path through the first two and a half levels of the dungeon after warping back to the Castle to fix up my party.

[quote name='botticus']Am I missing something or is there really no way to revive someone in Gaudia Quest? I know there theoretically exist items and spells to do that, but I haven't seen either as I'm hitting level 18. Generally liking the game, not enjoying having to continually stumble onto the correct path through the first two and a half levels of the dungeon after warping back to the Castle to fix up my party.[/QUOTE]

The Dragon Pint or whatever revives. I think there's also spells at higher levels. And you can revive people for free by talking to the old man in the first town.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The Dragon Pint or whatever revives. I think there's also spells at higher levels. And you can revive people for free by talking to the old man in the first town.[/quote]Is there somewhere to buy the Pint? If it's just a random drop, I won't hold my breath for it. I shall continue trekking through levels 1-3 a dozen more times.

[quote name='botticus']Is there somewhere to buy the Pint? If it's just a random drop, I won't hold my breath for it. I shall continue trekking through levels 1-3 a dozen more times.[/QUOTE]

It's a random drop but I've also found at least 2 in treasure chests. I think you *may* be able to buy it later, but I can't remember 100% and I don't have the game with me now to check. It's a common drop in the second dungeon.

daaaaamn did any1 see the Feb.1988 issue of GameFan?!?!

yo Kyokoloco is real hot!!

u gotta squint to see it, but trust me it's hella worth it.

damn, so like I havent played in a minute thanks to SFIV.

I've been out all day so I've been going at the point where I left off, the last challenge for Gaudia Quest.

and like I keep running in circles, so I go to google and look for a map of the dungeon.

and I find it here: http://www29.atwiki.jp/ds_gamecenter_cx/pages/12.html#id_8fd30b74

and seriously... who the fuck makes a dungeon like that?!?!?!?!

my mind is blown... I'm not sure if the person who designed that is a genius or an asshole

LOL! I was stuck in circles for a long time until I talked to that little pink guy. After that it was much quicker and got to the boss before I realized it. Ended up at like level 18 for all three characters which made the battle cake. Gonna start Haggleman 3 tonight.

Haggleman 3 is soooooo gooood.

it's like Megaman 9, it's a game that plays with crazy tight controls and old game mechanics,

but has the innovation achieved thru 20 years of gaming and experience.

the enemy AI itself is very simple and mindless (like super mario bros enemy AI), but the stages are something grand.

anyway so far I've beaten Cosmic Gate and Rally King. I got to the last stage of Haggleman 1 and died, and forgot the code to continue :cry:

whoo! update time!

I jus beat HaggleMan 2, Rally King SP, and Star Prince today.

all I have left is Gaudia Quest and Haggleman 3.

dont feel like playing anymore today zzzz...

Guadia Quest spoilers... if u havent seen this, you should.

2ibybz7.jpg

lol!!

anyway, beat this shyt!!! yeay~!! it was awesome!!!

major major ending spoilers:

if u let the End Screen run for like 25 minutes u get a prize!

I seriously let my DS chill while I did something else.

2nvezqx.jpg

309k8ll.jpg

holding either R or L while the credits are loading allows you to have a different ship to defeat Arino with.

I was unable to kill him during the credits the first time :cry: too hard lol.

I really want to like this game. I love the retro-remakes and the story, but did we really need 500 pages of stupid, meaningless dialog ? Do Japanese people just like pressing the A button 500 times in-between games for no good reason? I feel like I'm suffering through animal crossing or a mario rpg between great gameplay. They really could have told the story without 2/3 of the text. Just my $0.02.

what part do u need help on??

look up a few posts, I posted a link to the entire dungeon map, which should get u thru the challenges.

if u wanna beat the entire game the easy way, read gamefan and look for the cheat.

other than that, maps aside the game doesnt seem too hard...

go to the dungeon, kill boss, go to the tower, kill boss, go back to the dungeon, kill boss, win.

at least, that's how I would assume the game goes... there doesnt seem to be any boat or airship so everything is contained within all the land you can traverse on foot.

Best Buy finally started shipping this on the website yesterday, and its also in stock in their physical stores now. I just placed an order online for pickup. It was so painful to wait, but I had a gift card to kill.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Best Buy finally started shipping this on the website yesterday, and its also in stock in their physical stores now. I just placed an order online for pickup. It was so painful to wait, but I had a gift card to kill.[/QUOTE]

Did they finally lower the price to $29.99? It was listed at $39.99 on their site for the longest time.

there should be a revive item... I think it was mentioned in a previous post.

but instead u can always warp back to the first town and get revived for free

Here's the interview where they said it:
http://www.rpgamer.com/features/2009/road2e3/kingstoryinterview.html

Speaking of money, how have your recent releases been doing? Are we likely to see XSEED try to get Game Center CX 2 (Retro Game Challenge 2)?
Ken: We're getting by, but not doing as well as we'd like. Retro Game Challenge started off well but still hasn't gotten to the point where we can justify bringing over the sequel. It's amazing how many people write to thank us for publishing that game, so perhaps as those enthusiast fans continue to spread the word we will get to where we need to be eventually.

Still a bit non-committal; I have to wonder if the hints of financial uncertainties dropped during the interview may have played a role in XSeed's decision. Hopefully Little King's Story and Arc Rise Fantasia do well.

Xseed certainly not doing well as they lost the license to Muramasa: The Demon Blade due to finical reason.

[quote name='62t']Xseed certainly not doing well as they lost the license to Muramasa: The Demon Blade due to finical reason.[/QUOTE]

Really? That's too bad. :cry: It may be because they localized the shitfest that the Wild Arms series became after 3.

Can anyone tell me how to beat that damn red/blue block puzzle in Episode 3 of Haggleman 3?

I wouldn't mind it except that the stage is so fucking long and I really don't wanna redo everything. I've been trying for an hour and I just can't find a way past it. What makes it more annoying is having to switch gears so damn much. And I tried using that code from the magazine to skip to the boss and that doesn't work either... WTF?

And yes, I checked GameFAQs. The only guide there just says to go through the block but doesn't provide any details except that the top left ladder is the exit.

Nevermind, I figured it out last night after I made this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
finally picked this up. Played too much of it in one sitting (made it to Guardia Quest), it doesn't work trying to play this and 1 VS 100 on the 360 at the same time.

I wish it was a bit harder, only Haggleman 2 gave me problems (though I really don't like the first two Haggleman games).

Really hope the second one comes out over here.

[quote name='fart_bubble']
Really hope the second one comes out over here.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Is it true the 2nd one is about the 16 bit era? Anyway, here's hoping localization happens, someday.

bread's done
Back