Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
CURRENT DEALS:

$129.99 with free shipping at ThinkGeek

Important Information
​Warranty registration - http://www.retron5.com/warrantyregistration_/
Patch Notes / How to Update (Last update 6/10/2014) - http://retron5.in/?src=98f13708210194c475687be6106a3b84

I've included the text from the pre-order era of this OP in spoilers for reference.
UPDATE 5/27/14: It's real this time. Hyperkin's June 6 release date is happening. Many mom and pop stores that have received their units have started selling them already, and many people who have ordered from Amazon (myself included) are reporting getting emails from Amazon notifying them that their orders qualify for release day delivery and are updating estimated delivery status to June 6th, no longer showing the "we need more time" placeholder. It's worth noting that so far only people who have ordered the grey unit from Amazon are receiving order updates (which coincides with Hyperkin reporting on their facebook page that they had shipped Amazon's grey preorder units, but Amazon had yet to place an order for the black units). All consoles that have been shown off online by reviewers, people who have been able to buy them before the street date, or Hyperkin themselves have all been grey consoles to this point. No word on black consoles. Another note: Chris Gallizzi of Hyperkin responded to an inquiry about Newegg orders by saying that he is not aware of any issues with Newegg's preorders, and they should be good to go for the launch.

UPDATE 5/22/14: Just one day after IGN and Polygon reported that Hyperkin would begin shipping units to retailers on May 22 (today as of this writing), Hyperkin essentially confirmed that. They have announced that the launch date for the long overdue RetroN 5 is June 6th, 2014. In a much quieter fashion (just by responding to a random person's comment) they confirmed this would be for North America only and that the console would launch in the UK in September. There is also one more small hitch. The rumor that the first batch of units would be only for mom/pop B&M retailers and that NO units from this batch would go to Amazon or Newegg has been gaining some serious steam. While Hyperkin has been responding to a decent amount of comments on their facebook page from excited fans, they continue to ignore questions about when Amazon orders will ship. So it seems those of us who preordered on Amazon still don't have a solid release date. Fulfillment could happen any time between June 6th through September or beyond.

UPDATE 5/21/14: IGN today reported that the RetroN 5 would begin shipping out on May 22 (tomorrow, as of this writing)! This coincides with Chris Gazzilli, Hyperkin's project manager, posting a picture on his facebook page of a massive shipping container full of RetroN 5 units. Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems hell may have just frozen over.

UPDATE 5/13/14: Hyperkin has listed the RetroN 5, and it's controllers, on their company wholesale store for authorized retailers to buy. The console (both colors) and controllers (both colors) are listed as sold out. I'm not sure if they were in stock and sold out quickly, or if they haven't been made available yet. Regardless, it's good news that the system is listed for the first time ever. Additionally, reviewers such as GameSpot and several youtube reviewers have received their review units, which appear to be retail units. The RetroN 5 seems to finally be around the corner. We'll see, but things look promising right now. One thing to note: the listing for the console on Hyperkin's wholesale page indicates that each wholesale box contains six units. If this is the case, it would seem to debunk the previous report of the console being shipped in quantities of four per retailer.

UPDATE 4/25/14: While this hasn't technically been confirmed by Hyperkin, I take it as fact. It's worth remembering that NOTHING has been officially confirmed by Hyperkin. Hyperkin has remained silent until unofficially confirming almost all known info in random interviews with various youtubers and forum members. Therefor, again, I take this as fact:

I spoke to Hyperkin today.

Here are the "unofficial" details.

The "end of May" release is a "soft" release. Meaning they really are waiting for the next batch due in the summer for the official real release. Amazon is NOT getting any of the units released at the end of May. Each retailer is only getting 4 units. Retail on the unit is $139.99 and $39.99 for the additional controller. The reasons for the price increase are both cosmetic and technical but if it works as it should then it should be a great retro system.

Our 4 are already taken with pre-orders. If you know any stores locally that are getting units, and you want one for end of May, then i suggest you contact them and put money down. Keep in mind that each store is getting 4 units only for the soft launch.
UPDATE 4/17/14: Hyperkin has increased the price of the RetroN 5, saying "north of $100, between $129.99 and $149.99". Alll pre-orders from Amazon should be honored via their pre-order price guarantee. I believe Newegg has the same guarantee, I am not sure about Stone Age Gamer or 8 Bit Classics. Think Geek still hasn't opened pre-orders on the unit, instead offering a link to be signed up for email notifications as to when it will be available. Also on the Amazon front, they have sold out or pre-orders. Furthermore, it is more likely you'll learn the ETA from Amazon, Newegg, or whoever you ordered it from. Hyperkin has gone on record of saying they will never again announce a hard release date for anything.

UPDATE 4/12/14: After Hyperkin denied the console was delayed again and vigoruosuly shoved the month of April up everyone's ass for half a year, today they delayed the vaporware console yet again. At the Midwest Gaming Classic, they did their annual presentation. They ignored the planned April 2014 release, but finally somebody in the crowd asked about it. The Hyperkin rep said it was releasing in "30 days, guaranteed". This is not the first time they used the word "guaranteed", last time was about April so this doesn't mean jack shit. So maybe it'll randomly show up at people's houses at the end of may, maybe it wont, and maybe my ass will fly out of my ass.

Retron 5 Delay History:
-Summer 2013 (which they continued to say after summer was over, claiming they meant "Indian Summer" or "California Summer"....i'm not making this up)
-December 10 2013
-Quarter 1 2014
-Quarter 2 2014
-First two weeks of April
-April 2014, guaranteed
-Gauranteed within 30-40 days of April 12, 2014
-June 6 2014

DELAYED. ANY UPDATES FROM HYPERKIN WILL COME ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames

UPDATE: In a recent interview, Hyperkin confirmed that the initial batch of units WILL NOT BE ENOUGH to meet day ome demand. Also confirmed was the ability for the system to act as a multitap. Example: in a four player SNES game, two players could use snes controlles, one player could use the retron controller, and one player could use a genesis controller. Interview can be found here.

Pre-order at Amazon (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Newegg: Black (SOLD OUT) or Grey (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Stone Age Gamer (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)
Pre-order at 8 Bit Classics (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)

UPDATE: Hyperkin claims that they opened up some packaged retail units and discovered some units had faulty pins. because of this, the Retron 5 has been delayed. No new release date has been announced, although Hyperkin has stated the unit will release in 2014 and that they are aiming for Q1. This is the Retron 5's third delay.

EDIT: Preorders are sold out at Amazon and Newegg.

Retron5 pre-orders have finally (about damn time) opened.

For those of you who have been following this console, you know it's quite highly anticipated and looks to be far better than any clone system released before.

For those unfamiliar, here's a little info:

• It's one system that plays games for the following systems: NES, SNES, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
  • Two controller ports for each console will be built in with the system. It will also come with one wireless universal controller.
  • Outputs in HDMI and upscales for HDTVs. Early impressions and videos of this have been extremley postive. From the website: "The RetroN 5 will up convert the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You will also be able to select the aspect ratio in our GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9."
  • Features a user interface (dashboard. Somewhat similar of the PS3 interface in appearance, in my opinion).
  • Features save states. From the website: "Most games did not allow for you to freely save your games. The RetroN 5 will allow you to save their games at any point during gameplay, and will feature an autosave feature upon shutdown. You will be able to load your saves at anytime during gameplay."
  • Button reassignment supported. From the website: "Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers."
  • 100% game cartridge compatibility, without lag.
  • Sega Power Base Converter compatible, allowing Sega Master System games to be played.
More information is here. It may be a bit dated since this was from back when they first announced the console, but I figured it was the best site to link since it also featured some screenshots as well. http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/ There is also plenty of info on Hyperkin's facebook page.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and i'm extremley excited that pre-orders are finally open. For one console that not only plays all of these console's games, but upscales them and features save states (either to the cartridge (if supported) or the console itself)...this seems like a great deal. And if you've been following the hype for the console, there is a good chance it could end up selling out. Hyperkin isn't a huge company and this thing has a TON of pre-release demand (just check out the comments on the facebook page). I like the look of the black one a bit better, because it seems to be the traditional console color nowadays. But I opted for the grey model because the black console and controller seem like they'd be fingerprint magnets.

Preorder either color here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00DZIX3CQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378958043&sr=8-13&keywords=retron+5 or here at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=retron%205&N=-1&isNodeId=1&RandomID=65244712392254220130925161655

Here are pictures of the two consoles, since the pictures on Amazon aren't that great:

Grey:
Retron-5.jpg

Black:
e3_retron5_03550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a snes repo cart work on the retron? I'm debating on getting two repo carts but if it doesn't accept them that would save me the hassle and money.
Here's a link to a thread on nintendoage that posts what does and doesn't work http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=31&threadid=127849. I have a few repros and they've all worked. Only 2 of the 8 that I have show up as recognized the others show up as unknown but still work fine. They also have a googledoc that they're still updating but not many people have added to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To those getting red screens when adding cheats to genesis games I recommend starting the game without cheats and create a save state at the main menu of the game. Return to the Retron 5 main menu via home button and go back to the cheat section and choose your cheat and select play game. You'll get the red screen again but this time load the save state and you should be able play your game with the cheat activated. It worked for me for Contra Hard Corps. I did notice that not all cheats work though. Hopefully this helps someone.

extra controllers are in on Amazon. I like the R5 controller so I snagged one. For some reason it says ships in 2-3 weeks. It is shipped and sold by Amazon so Im not sure why it will take that long. I also have prime. It states the 2-3 weeks before even ordering it, its on the main product page. Oh well.
For $40 they better make some crazy good improvements. But I'm sure that they're the exact same ones included with consoles.

Hell, can't someone make a R5 smartphone app to control the system?

You absolutely can't trust any dates you hear. It was only last week that we were told August would be the ship date for the second round of consoles. But here we are, consoles still shipping. So if your console hasn't shipped yet, I would say just sit tight - it likely will be soon.

Mine shipped today and will be here tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use it until Sunday =/.

This new firmware is excellent! It fixed the issue my Retron was having reading SNES cartridges.

By the way, has anyone else played fuck ?

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24256]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24257]

I received my black retron 5 console today. I ordered Sept. 13th. Amazon sent this one in a really really thin cardboard box with no padding. It kind of pisses me off. I guess the packer saw the $76.19 price and decided it didn't deserve an extra .40 cent cost for a bigger box with some air bags.

This new firmware is excellent! It fixed the issue my Retron was having reading SNES cartridges.

By the way, has anyone else played fuck ?
Lol. That's fuck ing awesome. If Shaq has a twitter, someone please send that fuck ing picture to him with an explanation of what it is. He would probably think it's pretty funny if he sees it.

I hear people saying it's hard to remove carts from the retron 5. Is that because the slots are too small or is it because the pins are too tight?

My Genny slot is finally getting better. I took a crappy cart and just used it on the slot for a couple days to loosen it up. The others have been fine.

Update went smooth today, also. Finished Aladdin (Genesis) tonight.

My Genny slot is finally getting better. I took a crappy cart and just used it on the slot for a couple days to loosen it up. The others have been fine.

Update went smooth today, also. Finished Aladdin (Genesis) tonight.
I might try the same to loosen up the genesis pins. Do you just insert it and take it out repeatedly? Any other tips?

I was blown away when I played Aladdin on the retron. I had no idea the game was that beautiful and artistic. The last time I played it was on a tiny hand me down CRT. It was one of those old ones that just had a knob on the front to change channels. No remote.

Congrats on beating it!

I might try the same to loosen up the genesis pins. Do you just insert it and take it out repeatedly? Any other tips?

I was blown away when I played Aladdin on the retron. I had no idea the game was that beautiful and artistic. The last time I played it was on a tiny hand me down CRT. It was one of those old ones that just had a knob on the front to change channels. No remote.

Congrats on beating it!
Yep, really just inserting/removing the cart. When they are really stuck in there, I kinda grabbed from one side and pried up on it.

Yep, really just inserting/removing the cart. When they are really stuck in there, I kinda grabbed from one side and pried up on it.
That's what I was wondering. I've been grabbing it from the side like someone suggested on here. I think you have the right idea. I'd rather wear out one of the crappy sports games I bought at Blockbuster for .99 cents back in the day instead of wearing out games that I care about.

That's what I was wondering. I've been grabbing it from the side like someone suggested on here. I think you have the right idea. I'd rather wear out one of the crappy sports games I bought at Blockbuster for .99 cents back in the day instead of wearing out games that I care about.
all those old sports games are finally coming in handy

My black console came in yesterday and I have no complaints other then the hassle of updating the firmware.  I haven't tried any other controllers beside the one that came with the system.

Do you think if I waited 6 months, the newer units will ship with the updated firmware already applied?  Seems to be the early adopters are really just finishing the beta testing this thing.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, I do it al the time with launch systems of the Big 3.  But the reported issues with the RetroN5 have me concerned and I'm ok waiting at least for the first price drop.

this is the longest I have ever seen Amazon take.  LOL  they told me it shipped last week like Wed.  LOL 

it is being shipped via horseback.

this is the longest I have ever seen Amazon take. LOL they told me it shipped last week like Wed. LOL

it is being shipped via horseback.
Depends if they used Lasership as thier carrier. If that is the case, check the empty field 3 miles over, in the Nuclear Waste dump, under the rock that the hobo uses as bathroom, next to the alter where human sacrifices took place in the 1980's. It was probably (in a white mini-van with the words "Free Candy" sprayed on it) delivered there...and backed over by the driver.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20carrier%20feedback/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2KOZSYK6OUZ6Y&cdThread=Tx27GEWWFTOKU9T

Pretty interesting read.

Do you think if I waited 6 months, the newer units will ship with the updated firmware already applied? Seems to be the early adopters are really just finishing the beta testing this thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I do it al the time with launch systems of the Big 3. But the reported issues with the RetroN5 have me concerned and I'm ok waiting at least for the first price drop.
If you think you will be able to find one during the Holiday/Christmas season then sure. Your best bet is 2015 for a version like that or if you wait it out until 2016 when they come back down to $99.

I played Ducktales and Act Raiser last night. Ahhh, trips down memory lane. I'm probably going to play all the way through Act Raiser again. But it will have to wait a little while, because Chrono Trigger comes first. A major hole in my gaming habits, I own multiple different copies of Chrono Trigger but have never played past hour 4 or so. Now that I'm older I have the kind of patience necessary to dig into some old-school JRPGs.

Amazon fucked me over so bad on this one. I was on vacation the past couple weeks with limited online access, which was the perfect time for amazon to email me about payment being declined for my black retron 5 preorder placed last September. I had used CC rewards points that were used up elsewhere in the interim.

Of course my order got cancelled and I sat on a chat with one of their CSR reps over an hour yesterday only to be told I can order another one if and when they get them in, but nope they won't honor my preorder price of $76.19. Just going to keep hammering them until they capitulate. This was the one thing I've looked forward to the most for the past year from them...

Grabbed a $3 copy of Blades of Steel from a local gaming shop, and was once again impressed at the greatness of this machine.

Yes, the build quality feels "cheap" compared to what we're used to, but I blame the majority of that on the fact that the unit has such a low density:  the thing runs off of a small Android board with a bunch of slots and ports.  That said, everything else about this device feels like a labor of love, and it continues to blow me away.

Amazon fucked me over so bad on this one. I was on vacation the past couple weeks with limited online access, which was the perfect time for amazon to email me about payment being declined for my black retron 5 preorder placed last September. I had used CC rewards points that were used up elsewhere in the interim.

Of course my order got cancelled and I sat on a chat with one of their CSR reps over an hour yesterday only to be told I can order another one if and when they get them in, but nope they won't honor my preorder price of $76.19. Just going to keep hammering them until they capitulate. This was the one thing I've looked forward to the most for the past year from them...
Yep, completely their fault. :-({|= :nottalking: :roll:

Do you think if I waited 6 months, the newer units will ship with the updated firmware already applied? Seems to be the early adopters are really just finishing the beta testing this thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I do it al the time with launch systems of the Big 3. But the reported issues with the RetroN5 have me concerned and I'm ok waiting at least for the first price drop.
This is what I'm doing. I'm waiting as long as possible till they iron out the kinks and the best firmware is available. I no longer buy consoles at launch. Let other people do the testings and see what issues appear down the road (IE how many more systems will have problems like not detecting games, or how many systems will fail in a short period of time). If you can wait I would wait a year or two and see if something as bad as RROD pops up (I would never wish that on anyone, just saying) I would. Though generally if nothing pops after 12 months I'd give it a shot as long as you can afford it/think it's worth the price. I'll be waiting for the $99 boat.

Got my black Retron 5 from Amazon today.  My first surprize was how nice NES games look via HDMI...wow.  2nd was the wireless controller is actually pretty decent.  Cool little machine.

My console seems to be working properly across the board currently. Don't have any Genesis carts/controllers to test, but probably will pick some up this weekend. Tried some SNES, NES, GB, GBA, and SFC games, though. Most of them worked. Only problem carts so far:

SNES

Secret of Mana 2 (Repro): Unknown; Loads and plays fine.

Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (Repro): Unknown; Loads and glitches out after starting. Pretty bummed about that one.

GBA

Yggdra Union: Unknown; Loads and plays fine.

GB

Robopon: Sun Version: ROM Dump Error; This is a little niche Poke'mon clone that I was really excited to try out. Managed to get a complete boxed copy extremely cheap. But it is the only GB cart that has a special extension for talking to remote controls and things like that. So I kind of expected it not to work properly =/.

Everything else I tried worked, though. And I gotta say, I went into my first game clean - no filters or stretch or anything and thought, 'Yeah, this looks alright I suppose'. Then put on some filters and stretch and was amazed at how sharp this thing makes old games look.

LOL @ your face

My console seems to be working properly across the board currently. Don't have any Genesis carts/controllers to test, but probably will pick some up this weekend. Tried some SNES, NES, GB, GBA, and SFC games, though. Most of them worked. Only problem carts so far:

SNES
Secret of Mana 2 (Repro): Unknown; Loads and plays fine.
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (Repro): Unknown; Loads and glitches out after starting. Pretty bummed about that one.

GBA
Yggdra Union: Unknown; Loads and plays fine.

GB
Robopon: Sun Version: ROM Dump Error; This is a little niche Poke'mon clone that I was really excited to try out. Managed to get a complete boxed copy extremely cheap. But it is the only GB cart that has a special extension for talking to remote controls and things like that. So I kind of expected it not to work properly =/.

Everything else I tried worked, though. And I gotta say, I went into my first game clean - no filters or stretch or anything and thought, 'Yeah, this looks alright I suppose'. Then put on some filters and stretch and was amazed at how sharp this thing makes old games look.
I end up not being able to stand the filters and just leave them off.

From the games on my list (in my signature) is there anything people want me to try out?
Consider my avatar as my request. :D

Grabbed a $3 copy of Blades of Steel from a local gaming shop, and was once again impressed at the greatness of this machine.
I have one obnoxious sound-byte to type that I canNOT unhear in response:
"Made-the-Pass!" (now repeat the first half of that ad nauseum)

Consider my avatar as my request. :D

I have one obnoxious sound-byte to type that I canNOT unhear in response:
"Made-the-Pass!" (now repeat the first half of that ad nauseum)
All working here :D
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24276]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24275]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24274]

@Starscream - Where did you get Fire Emblem at? I'm a big fan of the series and would love to play it on my Retron. :D
That was me who had it haha. Keep in mind it doesn't work currently on the Retron. Works perfectly on original SNES. I got my repro from Chipmasters. Carts and labels are good quality. But I would say that the actual label art they use looks a little ugly.

I went to too many games con on Friday. Saw a few retron5 consoles for sale. All in the $200 range.

Grabbed a nice pile of new (old) games though. Lots of cool stuff to see and buy.

Tried oculous rift finally as well. That thing is pretty rad.

That was me who had it haha. Keep in mind it doesn't work currently on the Retron. Works perfectly on original SNES. I got my repro from Chipmasters. Carts and labels are good quality. But I would say that the actual label art they use looks a little ugly.
Sorry guess he replied to you and it threw me off or whatever. I saw a video of it on their site, and it seems alright. The game not working on the Retron aside, do you think the game is worth it?

Sorry guess he replied to you and it threw me off or whatever. I saw a video of it on their site, and it seems alright. The game not working on the Retron aside, do you think the game is worth it?
For some reason Fire Emblem is always worth it to me. Just something I really like about the games. After playing only the US versions, though, with Awakening most recently, it is a little shocking to roll back to the SNES game. Not everything is spelled out and you have to actually calculate net damage on your own. But I think it is a lot of fun seeing where it began. I plan on getting the other two SNES titles when I have the time.

Damn i thought i lost my system, went to go ahead and open it the other day and look at the instructions/start testing it but couldn't find it. Guess it got put in the downstairs closet somehow. I really need to go through all the boxes by the entrance and clear this crap up.

Anyway thanks for the info so far guys

Updating is fine. Just make sure you follow the directions very carefully, the whole update process is a bit daunting at first but is easy if you're patient and follow directions. The pins can be a little tight but if you remove carts on one side and then pull, you should be fine. . Anddddd you need an actual SD card to update. Mini to full sd converters don't work.

PS. Turn off the sound (on the OS) in the menu

Power it on, check every slot you have games for, check every controller port you have controllers for.

If everything is working, you're gravy.

Firmware updates can fix the rest of the issues besides borked hardware.
what issues do the firmware updates actually fix? Because i just glanced briefly at software update instructions on their site

http://retron5.in/node/2

and that shit looks WAY convoluted. Theres system software and application software? what the hell? I better read it super carefully. Any tips in that regard or is it just a matter of reading it very carefully? Honestly im wondering if the updates are really needed. Are there any major bugs in the default software? Whats it really fix/do? I dont want it to do something like, wipe my cartridge saves if it has old messed up software o_O

Oh and any reason why i should turn the sound off in the OS menu? is it just annoying?

So from what im seeing Heres what i should do to test it and make sure its not a lemon:

I should power it on, make sure it works (how should the lights display? i was reading about someone who had them flicker on and off them stop working) Then test all the slots with different game types right? Should i do firmware update before or after testing the carts? Hell, should i do it at all?

What are some of the problems i should look out for that people were having? I mean other than just not working. I think i read something a while back about it wiping saves off a cart o_O Is that an issue? Anything else i need to look for?

Damn i thought i lost my system, went to go ahead and open it the other day and look at the instructions/start testing it but couldn't find it. Guess it got put in the downstairs closet somehow. I really need to go through all the boxes by the entrance and clear this crap up.

Anyway thanks for the info so far guys

what issues do the firmware updates actually fix? Because i just glanced briefly at software update instructions on their site

http://retron5.in/node/2

and that shit looks WAY convoluted. Theres system software and application software? what the hell? I better read it super carefully. Any tips in that regard or is it just a matter of reading it very carefully? Honestly im wondering if the updates are really needed. Are there any major bugs in the default software? Whats it really fix/do? I dont want it to do something like, wipe my cartridge saves if it has old messed up software o_O

Oh and any reason why i should turn the sound off in the OS menu? is it just annoying?

So from what im seeing Heres what i should do to test it and make sure its not a lemon:

I should power it on, make sure it works (how should the lights display? i was reading about someone who had them flicker on and off them stop working) Then test all the slots with different game types right? Should i do firmware update before or after testing the carts? Hell, should i do it at all?

What are some of the problems i should look out for that people were having? I mean other than just not working. I think i read something a while back about it wiping saves off a cart o_O Is that an issue? Anything else i need to look for?
I got mine two days ago and everything seems to work. The only thing I can't test is the super famicom games but everything elsw works.

The updating process looks complicated but it's not just read http://retron5.in/node/2 and you will be fine.

It is just

• Place SD card in computer and download software update located http://retron5.in/node/2
  • Put SD card in Retron and update retron
  • Restart Retron (once it boots up it should ask you to write update request)
  • (if not asked to do update request) Go to settings in Retron and write firmware update request to SD
  • Take SD card out of Retron and put back in computer and go to the url http://retron5.in/?src=33e75ff09dd601bbe69f351039152189
  • Download file and it should automatically go in SD card in place of update request
  • Make sure file is named retron-update.bin
  • Take SD card out of computer and back in Retron and update

Ughhh... FINALLY got some movement on this.

image.jpg

Also, I too got a notice earlier in the week that my payment had been declined by Amazon because the debit card had left on 9/15 has since been lost and replaced (I had even removed that card from my Amazon account and added the one I have now). Simple process, just went to my account and told it to use the right card, the only card on my account. I don't know if that caused any delay for me.

... and in other news...

rtrio.jpg

:D/ I plan to compare and review them on my youtube channel about a week or so after they arrive and I get a good feel for both of them.

I do find it a little aggravating that even with the Retron 5 being prepared for shipment, it sill will not calculate any delivery time frame. But for the RetroTrio I just ordered 10 minutes ago, on a Saturday, I already have an estimate.

Is this the site for chipmasters?

http://www.shop.chipmasters.us/

never bought one of these things, I always just buy the original release for my retro needs. However they have a few games that i would like that never got a US release. Such as the FE game mentioned, Tales of Phantasia, and Slayers. Sorry but im not really sure what a 'repro' is. What are these exactly? The site is very bare and gives no real info. Honestly it looks kinda shady, are they safe to buy from? Im assuming they make these games themselves? Using what, fan translations or something? Just wondering if anyone could fill me in since the site gives basically no info. I really would like to get a few games if its a legit site

kinda funny they have Hero's Quest. I remember playing that boardgame when i was a kid

@deathfromace

"what issues do the firmware updates actually fix? Because i just glanced briefly at software update instructions on their site
http://retron5.in/node/2"

It fixes comparability issues. SMS controllers now work. I'm sure some OS bug fixes. It's worth it imo, but does require reading and a few SD card swaps between the console and the PC.

@kenshindono

"Sorry but im not really sure what a 'repro' is. What are these exactly?"

Reproduction Cartridges. Usually fanmade for homebrew/hacked or "pirate" copies of rare/uberexpensive games.

I dont have any but these are usually designed for the original hardware, not clone systems like retron5.

I do want to grab a few when I have $ to burn. I can't speak for how reliable the many "shady" looking sites are.

never bought one of these things, I always just buy the original release for my retro needs. However they have a few games that i would like that never got a US release. Such as the FE game mentioned, Tales of Phantasia, and Slayers. Sorry but im not really sure what a 'repro' is. What are these exactly? The site is very bare and gives no real info. Honestly it looks kinda shady, are they safe to buy from? Im assuming they make these games themselves? Using what, fan translations or something? Just wondering if anyone could fill me in since the site gives basically no info. I really would like to get a few games if its a legit site

kinda funny they have Hero's Quest. I remember playing that boardgame when i was a kid
Repros are basically reproductions of Japanese games that were not released in western markets that have been translated into English. I have bought from chipmasters before and I do like the quality of their work. Once I place an order it usually takes about a week to a week and a half for me to receive the games. All of the games I've purchased from them have worked fine with my Retron 5. Here's a list of what I bought from them:

The Firemen
Front Mission Gun Hazard
Ganpuru Gunman's Proof
Secret of Mana 2
Terranigma
Twin Bee Rainbow Bell Adventure

I plan to purchase more from them in the future. Hope this helps a bit.

Yeah, most repro sites tend to look like that. And actually, that is a new website. It was far more basic only like a month ago. And it looks like they bumped cart prices up by $5. They are completely legit, though, so don't worry about that. I can't tell you much about how they are made, but here is a huge resource for finding sellers for repro carts: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=57823. Careful, though; you can potentially waste lots of hours researching this stuff haha. Some repro companies do amazing work - making actual boxes, manuals, maps, and other various inserts with the repro. But for basics, Chipmasters does a good job.

Soooo... does anyone know of a good place to buy Famicom or Super Famicom games? I want to check out some of the games from the "You can play this" series from the late JewWario. I know eBay/Amazon is an option but I almost never see any of these games out in the wild besides at conventions.

bread's done
Back