Rewrapping games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='Diiz'] It's not even an issue anymore. I didn't realize this was a forum full of saints and virgins who have never tried to bend the rules a tad to fix a mistake.[/quote]

Not to get this too heated but I was thinking the same thing myself.
"He who is not without sin should cast the first stone"[/quote]

"Am I my brother's keeper?"
You are your brother's keeper. You do have the responsibility to love and care for your fellow man and you will be held accountable for your neglect to do so!" Genesis (ch. IV, v. 9)

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. Proverbs (ch. XIII, v. 24)

I bought a game today and when I got it home I started playing it...about 1 1/2 hours into the game my little brother got home and it turns out, he already has this title; I just didn't know he had it.

Wait a minute, you're now trying to say you didn't play this game? You're such a liar! My God, take the hit and suck up a $13 loss.

Go ahead and rant, tell me I can't read, I don't know what I'm talking about but you know what? You're making yourself out to be the fool. You've already painted yourself into a corner and look like a baying jackass but if you want to keep calling me things like a "waste of skin" that's fine. I'm not the one posting on a message board about how to exchange a game I purchased when I was too stupid to know it was already in my house. Have a nice one! :p

I have seen about three or four answers here allready! If you would stop typing and look! The answer is in front of you grasshopper! With extreme concentration you will find the answer for yourself! You do not need the help of others to make up your mind young padawan! Use The Force! Its the answer you seek!....Or the magic 8 ball...or a fortune cookie....Or ask the Sholong temple master...Or Pray to your GOD! Either way this should be fun!

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Just wait around the store and wait til someone comes to buy that game, knock off $5 dollars sell it to them. Call it a day. Nothing illegal or immortal about that.[/quote]

I was in a GameCrazy the other day when a kid and his Dad dropped a stack of a dozen or so games to trade for credit. I half thought about standing around while the dude told him how much credit he'd give for them and then offer them the same in cash for the ones I'd like.

But I didn't because they were all Gamecube games (and I don't have a Gamecube) and I imagine I would be thrown out pretty fast and told never to come back.

nothing wrong with that! Pay a little more then the store. he'll win you win store dosn't care! (most of the time) just go out of store!

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']nothing wrong with that! Dynasty Warriors 4 ay a little more then the store will he wins you win store dosn't care! (most of the time) just go out of store![/quote]

I suppose I could ask the GC employee if he cares if I offer the guy a little more to buy any of his stuff or not. That would probably avoid my being barred from shopping there in the future :lol:

I know if I owned a gameshop I would be royally pissed at anyone pulling this, though.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Go ahead and rant, tell me I can't read, I don't know what I'm talking about but you know what? You're making yourself out to be the fool.[/quote]

Did you still not read my first post? You truly are an idiot, and I don't say that about many people. Yes, I bought something that's already in my house. Why don't you go ahead and name off everything in your house off the top of your head you little shit stain? Yes, I got answers to questions, but not to the question I asked in the thread title. What is so hard to understand about this? I don't even care anymore. If you guys are too stupid to comprehend what I am asking and can't even read a whole post before replying, you need not apply. It's pretty sad when I can get a better answer over at GameFAQ's than here.

I know Its still not answering your question but if you can still get instore credit for it take it buy something else

[quote name='JSweeney']Your message board topic is not a specific question, just a general query that covers the overriding tone of your post. You ask a specific question right at the end of your paragraph...

...since just in the recent few months people have posted about scumbags switching a Ninja Gaiden game with an AOL CD and a notepad, and then them being stuck with it and out 50 dollars.

Buying a game and then rewrapping it to return it is only a tiny little step away from a practice like that. If you are dishonest enough to buy it an rewrap it to trade it back in, what's to say you wouldn't do the same thing and just steal the game. You don't have the moral authority to stand on anymore.[/quote]

And if you can't figure out the specific question I am asking from the topic title, you need to go back and relearn basic reading and comprehension skills. I have been one of the victims of one of those scams. I bought a copy of Blue Stinger for DC about a month after release at Target, got home, opened it up and it was a PS demo disk. It was incredibly disappointing and a pain in the ass to return. Buying a game and rewrapping it (and an unused copy at that) within hours of buying it is not NEARLY the same as what you are talking about. You really need to get a grip and a clue here. Who's given you this high and mighty divinity to question, and attempt to knock down, my morals?

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Swearing makes baby Jesus cry.

I may not be able to tell you every single thing in my house but... I can tell you if I own a game or not :twisted: .[/quote]

I already explained that there was a copy of this game in my house, and that it wasn't my copy. I work and go to school full time, and my brother is still in grade school. I don't catalogue every single game in his room. If you have a brother, and do catalogue every single thing is his room, get a life.

[quote name='Spider-Man']I know Its still not answering your question but if you can still get instore credit for it take it buy something else[/quote]

Even if it's open though? Or are you talking about trade in credit? I remember back when EB used to allow you to return a game (don't shop at Gamestop very much, so idk if they were the same way) but like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, they had to discontinue that policy.

It's pretty sad when I can get a better answer over at GameFAQ's than here.

Sounds like a plan, see ya later.

I like how you think its everybody else's fault (like 20-30+ people) that we can't understand what the fuck you are talking about and cursing at us when we won't plan out for you step-by-step how to scam the store back for full credit on your mistake.

That's because I explained it...plain and simple. Plenty of people didn't even read the entire first post and it snowballed from there. 20-30 people? Try like 10-15, and they are all feeding off eachothers quotes instead of reading the original text. Ever play a game of telephone? Welcome to the message board equivalent.

Can a mod close this thread already since we aren't going to help this guy scam some store because of his stupidity?

[quote name='Scrubking']Can a mod close this thread already since we aren't going to help this guy scam some store because of his stupidity?[/quote]

I don't want the help from a bunch of comprehension deprived assholes anyway. Don't act like you know me when you don't have a clue. I am not trying to scam anyone, unless you are saying that anyone that has ever returned a product is a scammer. Next time you shop for clothes, if for some reason you try them on at home and they don't fit right, fuck you, you're stuck with them. Right? Am I one of you guys now? Wow, how cool. 8)

[quote name='Diiz']Stupid mistake, I know, but is there any way to fix it?[/quote]

No, there is no way to fix it. Suck it up, take a loss in money, and learn from your mistake not to do this again. Oh, and before you go accusing me, I assure you I can read.

[quote name='st0neface'][quote name='Diiz']Stupid mistake, I know, but is there any way to fix it?[/quote]

No, there is no way to fix it. Suck it up, take a loss in money, and learn from your mistake not to do this again. Oh, and before you go accusing me, I assure you I can read.[/quote]

Now why didn't somebody just say that in the first place?

[quote name='Diiz'][quote name='st0neface'][quote name='Diiz']Stupid mistake, I know, but is there any way to fix it?[/quote]

No, there is no way to fix it. Suck it up, take a loss in money, and learn from your mistake not to do this again. Oh, and before you go accusing me, I assure you I can read.[/quote]

Now why didn't somebody just say that in the first place?[/quote]

This is too easy. I'll let someone else have a shot at it.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Diiz'][quote name='st0neface'][quote name='Diiz']Stupid mistake, I know, but is there any way to fix it?[/quote]

Now why didn't somebody just say that in the first place?[/quote]

This is too easy. I'll let someone else have a shot at it.[/quote]

Please go ahead. I insist.

Yes, a lousy thing to be asking about, but I have a stupid problem. I bought a game today and when I got it home I started playing it...about 1 1/2 hours into the game my little brother got home and it turns out, he already has this title; I just didn't know he had it. I went to Gamestop to try and exchange it for a new copy (saying it was faulty) but the guy just pulled out the floor copy and switched the cartridges for me. Is there anything I can do about this or am I stuck? Stupid mistake, I know, but is there any way to fix it?

Your message board topic is not a specific question, just a general query that covers the overriding tone of your post. You ask a specific question right at the end of your paragraph.

Stupid mistake, I know, but is there any way to fix it?
The other message board users proceed to give a myriad of other options to fix your "problem".
Then you post this:

The answer to the question posed in the topic title, thus the creation of a topic that poses a specific question. If I ask how to fix my car so I can sell it to my friend in Dallas, I don't want to get answers like "ebay, trade it here, etc". I asked a specific question looking for a specific answer.

Either you can't express yourself well, or you're throwing a temper tantrum. Your specific question was not about "Rewrapping games". If that was your intent, you really need to work on your clarity, if not, you're just getting pissy and throwing a temper tantrum because people aren't enabling your want to be dishonest.

I got several specific answers, but not in regards to my question.
Actually, they were in direct responce to your question. It's not thier fault that your writing is clear enough to elict the specific answers that you want to a question you never formally introduced.

Is this concept really so hard for you to grasp?
You know, we aren't mind readers. You asked a specific question (and it wasn't about rewrapping games. You got answers to that question. If you wanted to ask for specifics about rewrapping games, you should have formally stated that question instead of the one you did. It's not thier fault if your question was vague enough that it could elict those answers you got.

I felt the need to repost this section, since Diiz felt the need to just skip over it the first time.

[quote name='secretvampire']I think I can say with confidence that everyone reading this thread feels a bit like the chick in your avatar at this point.[/quote]

They have prescriptions to counter-balance your estrogen output so you won't feel like a chick. Maybe try some andro before it's banned.

*edit: And I don't think I would even attempt to try and outdo the manimal battle.

[quote name='Diiz'][quote name='secretvampire']I think I can say with confidence that everyone reading this thread feels a bit like the chick in your avatar at this point.[/quote]

They have prescriptions to counter-balance your estrogen output so you won't feel like a chick. Maybe try some andro before it's banned.

*edit: And I don't think I would even attempt to try and outdo the manimal battle.[/quote]

hahah yea I can agree with that

And if you can't figure out the specific question I am asking from the topic title, you need to go back and relearn basic reading and comprehension skills.

Your topic name does not make a specific query that explicitly states what you want to know. This sentence did:"Is there anything I can do about this or am I stuck? Stupid mistake, I know, but is there any way to fix it?"
This is the question everyone answered. If they gave you answers you didn't want, it was because YOU asked the wrong question.

I have been one of the victims of one of those scams. I bought a copy of Blue Stinger for DC about a month after release at Target, got home, opened it up and it was a PS demo disk. It was incredibly disappointing and a pain in the ass to return. Buying a game and rewrapping it (and an unused copy at that) within hours of buying it is not NEARLY the same as what you are talking about. You really need to get a grip and a clue here.

You are splitting hairs by saying that. It's the exact same thing, but the degree of loss is higher in one. People go to the store an buy games with the expectation of getting a new game. A resealed game or a something put back in lieu of the are not that. Thusly, people are not getting what they wanted. A new, factory sealed game. You can tell yourself it's different all you want, in both situations the buyer of the returned game doesn't get what they want thanks to the selfishness of another individual.

Who's given you this high and mighty divinity to question, and attempt to knock down, my morals?
Logic. Logic dictates that if someone commits immoral acts, than more likely than not they are immoral.
If someone cares more about a small monetary loss on thier part than the feelings of others, they are likely immoral.

[quote name='JSweeney']Endless ramble[/quote]

My god, how many drawn out posts are you going to continue to make about this? You sound like an old man at a bus stop. The discussion is over.

Lock this thread if you want, I'm over it. I feel the need to get into an internet argument every so often, just didn't expect it with this topic. Oh well, got my quota for the month. Thanks anyway guys.

[quote name='JSweeney']

You are splitting hairs by saying that. It's the exact same thing, but the degree of loss is higher in one. People go to the store an buy games with the expectation of getting a new game. A resealed game or a something put back in lieu of the are not that. Thusly, people are not getting what they wanted. A new, factory sealed game. You can tell yourself it's different all you want, in both situations the buyer of the returned game doesn't get what they want thanks to the selfishness of another individual.

[/quote]

This brings up an interesting question. If you were 99.99% sure that a person buying the game wouldn't be able to tell that it was a rewrapped game - say, you never touched the instructions and never played the game - would you still feel bad about rewrapping it?

[quote name='Diiz'][quote name='JSweeney']Endless ramble[/quote]
Since all of you are big meanies, I'm gonna take my ball and go home.
Naa Naa! :p
[/quote]

Easier to argue than to admit you're wrong, eh?
Is it really that hard to notice that that " endless ramble" consists cheifly of quotes of your previous posts?

[quote name='vshekar'][quote name='JSweeney']

[/quote]

This brings up an interesting question. If you were 99.99% sure that a person buying the game wouldn't be able to tell that it was a rewrapped game - say, you never touched the instructions and never played the game - would you still feel bad about rewrapping it?[/quote]

Yes. I don't do things like that. If buy a game and don't want it, I more often than not will just give it to a friend. Trading in games just isn't worth it... and Ebay isn't worth the hassle to me. Anyways, it helps me spread my love of the hobby to others, and gives me more people to play games with.. which is always good. There's a distinct difference between using policies to your advantage and abusing an exploit.

Though it's been stated here many times before, I'll state it again:
Thre is a huge difference between just being cheap, and being greedy.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Diiz'][quote name='JSweeney']Endless ramble[/quote]
[/quote]

Is it really that hard to notice that that " endless ramble" consists cheifly of quotes of your previous posts?[/quote]

Yeah, and so do most of the endless rambles. So you have the ability to quote my posts spanning 4 pages...wow. The discussion is over, and that is that. It obviously isn't going anywhere. I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine, so why keep it going?

[quote name='Diiz'][quote name='CAPTTRIPahh'][quote name='Diiz']Yes, a lousy thing to be asking about, but I have a stupid problem. I bought a game today and when I got it home I started playing it...about 1 1/2 hours into the game my little brother got home and it turns out, he already has this title; I just didn't know he had it. I went to Gamestop to try and exchange it for a new copy (saying it was faulty) but the guy just pulled out the floor copy and switched the cartridges for me. Is there anything I can do about this or am I stuck? Stupid mistake, I know, but is there any way to fix it

then you say [quote name='Diiz'] I haven't even played this cartridge yet [/quote] " doesnt make much sense?[/quote][/quote]

[quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='repetske']The first rule of lying is to keep your story straight.[/quote]

True that. You better keep your head in the game or your lying ways are going to get this whole board hot and get us all pinched.[/quote]

Or maybe you guys need to learn how to read a whole post before jumping on someone. Wow! What a concept! The floor copies aren't played. They are the last copies to be sold if the game is out of stock. All they do is take out all the "guts" of the box and put it in a bag. Notice how I said I haven't played "this cartridge" yet and not just "the game"? Nice try though.[/quote]

So, Diiz. What you're suggesting is that if I play a game and beat it, I can always return it for the floor copy, then justify it's "new" when I return that copy later for a full refund? So in theory, you would never really have to pay a store for a game ever again? Ohhhhh boy. :roll:

Be carefuly of Karma. The universe strives for balance/equilibrium, like a law of physics or a chemical reaction, and if you're not careful, you'll get burned.

[quote name='wubb'][quote name='WeaponX2099']Just wait around the store and wait til someone comes to buy that game, knock off $5 dollars sell it to them. Call it a day. Nothing illegal or immortal about that.[/quote]

I was in a GameCrazy the other day when a kid and his Dad dropped a stack of a dozen or so games to trade for credit. I half thought about standing around while the dude told him how much credit he'd give for them and then offer them the same in cash for the ones I'd like.

But I didn't because they were all Gamecube games (and I don't have a Gamecube) and I imagine I would be thrown out pretty fast and told never to come back.[/quote]

I got a story about that - a couple years ago, I was in line to buy something from Gamestop. They guy in front of me was selling a boat load of games to them. I happened to see Zelda's majora's mask in there with the box & instructions. So I offered him $20 before the Gamestop clerk got to that game. The kid realized that was more than he would likely get from Gamestop, so he sold it to me while the clerk was going through the other games. That was fine with the Gamestop clerk because the store didn't technically own it yet. So I bought whatever I got from Gamestop, and he thanked me for my business, and I walked home.

[quote name='Diiz'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Diiz'][quote name='JSweeney']Endless ramble[/quote]
[/quote]

Is it really that hard to notice that that " endless ramble" consists cheifly of quotes of your previous posts?[/quote]

Yeah, and so do most of the endless rambles. So you have the ability to quote my posts spanning 4 pages...wow. The discussion is over, and that is that. It obviously isn't going anywhere. I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine, so why keep it going?[/quote]

Because I may change someone elses mind. You're to caught up in your own bias and ego, so more than likely than not, logic, reason and such will not reach you, as you are unwilling to listen. Others, however, who aren't so caught in the sway of thier own emotion may be able to look at it with a clear head and realize that it is a bad idea, and that by practicing it they may evenually be harming themselves. If anything, all of the people coming down on you will serve as a cautionary tale to others who seek to take part in "shady" and possibly illegal practices not to talk about it here.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']See that works if the clerks are not a holish.[/quote]

Well, the clerks kind of have to be that way... used games are game stores biggest money maker... so if they want to keep a job, they have to be like that.

I wonder if Diiz and OneWingedAngel are related? Let's ask OneWingedAngel if he owns Pokemon Ruby.

[quote name='JSweeney']Because I may change someone elses mind. You're to caught up in your own bias and ego, so more than likely than not, logic, reason and such will not reach you, as you are unwilling to listen. Others, however, who aren't so caught in the sway of thier own emotion may be able to look at it with a clear head and realize that it is a bad idea, and that by practicing it they may evenually be harming themselves. If anything, all of the people coming down on you will serve as a cautionary tale to others who seek to take part in "shady" and possibly illegal practices not to talk about it here.[/quote]

Then don't direct what you are saying to me by quoting what I said. Make your point without the use of my quotes, then.

And E-Z-B, that's not what I am saying at all. I have NEVER even considered doing this before. Different situations call for different measures. I had bought the game that day, not 2 hours earlier, and only wanted to return it because I came accross another copy when my brother mentioned it. Extremist views are annoying.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='WeaponX2099']See that works if the clerks are not a holish.[/quote]

Clerks are aholish if they try to stop you from, in effect, stealing from the company they work for. If doing your job correctly means you are an Ahole, I guess everyone every called an ahole should wear it as a badge of honor![/quote]

That's the dumbest statement ever. How is that stealing from the company? There is no contract between the potential seller and the store. If someone makes a better offer, the person trading in their game has all rights to sell elsewhere. Don't be ridiculous.

[quote name='E-Z-B']I wonder if Diiz and OneWingedAngel are related? Let's ask OneWingedAngel if he owns Pokemon Ruby.[/quote]

Never heard of him.

Sweeney's right. I agree whole-heartedly.

I just wanted to respond to a few comments that were made here:

First, all the comments of "it's not like I..." This is a serious problem. Diiz may never get it, but hopefully someday others will wake up to the reality that wrong is wrong. If someone steals 2 million from a bank that's horrible, but it doesn't make it Ok to steal $10 from your friend next door either. Referring to a greater crime does not justify doing something wrong.

With regards to returning clothes, that was a dumb analogy. The store's return policy is a store's return policy. Of course a person can get home and realize something doesn't fit right and bring it back. So what's the difference between returning a game and returning clothes? The store's policy, not the act. That is their right and you agreed to play by their rules when you bought from them.

I have stirred the pot on some of these posts but I really didn't mean to get anybody riled up on this one. I was being serious when I said this was an opportunity to look at yourself in the mirror and say "my integrity cannot be bought". I am sorry that being defensive is more important to you than admitting that you might have come up with a plan that isn't ethical (because I know this isn't about the money).

My 2 cents.

Then don't direct what you are saying to me by quoting what I said. Make your point without the use of my quotes, then.

Your qoutes help establish my point. Your attitudes help reinforce that cautionary tale. It's kind of a "Don't be that guy" thing.

And E-Z-B, that's not what I am saying at all. I have NEVER even considered doing this before. Different situations call for different measures. I had bought the game that day, not 2 hours earlier, and only wanted to return it because I came accross another copy when my brother mentioned it. Extremist views are annoying.

Theft and deception are more so. Whiny children who believe they are entitled to things are as well. What makes you think you are entitled to your money back? Since you are trying to rewrap a game and get all your money back, you must have some sense of entitlement.

gay16.jpg

That's the dumbest statement ever. How is that stealing from the company? There is no contract between the potential seller and the store. If someone makes a better offer, the person trading in their game has all rights to sell elsewhere. Don't be ridiculous.

Is it you're storefont? Is it your property? What gives you the right, the sense of entitlement, that you are allowed to conduct business with other patrons in thier place of business?

If you do that kind of stuff in a store, you deserve to be kicked out.
These are storefronts, which have huge costs associated with them.
If you want to do that kind of stuff, go to a flea market or a garage sale.
Haggling has no place in modern commercial venues. You don't walk into a fast food restraunt and say "I'll give you 25 cents for a hamburger". You don't go to the mall and tell them you'll pay 5 dollars for a shirt. What makes videogame stores any different?

[quote name='JSweeney']Theft and deception are more so. Whiny children who believe they are entitled to things are as well. What makes you think you are entitled to your money back? Since you are trying to rewrap a game and get all your money back, you must have some sense of entitlement.[/quote]

I already said I was keeping the game like 2 pages back, O' Illustrious One. Like I said, I didn't realize this was a church forum where people have never ever tried to bend the rules. That's fine though, I'll just stick to the trading and post your own deals forums.

And congratulations on your gay use of ebaums scrub. That's original.

Thank you all for all of your enlightenment. Thank god I trudged through all of your posts, for I came out changed for life on the other end. I have seen the error of my ways, all thanks to you!
:rolleyes

[quote name='JSweeney']That's the dumbest statement ever. How is that stealing from the company? There is no contract between the potential seller and the store. If someone makes a better offer, the person trading in their game has all rights to sell elsewhere. Don't be ridiculous.

Is it you're storefont? Is it your property? What gives you the right, the sense of entitlement, that you are allowed to conduct business with other patrons in thier place of business?

Haggling has no place in modern commercial venues. You don't walk into a fast food restraunt and say "I'll give you 25 cents for a hamburger". You don't go to the mall and tell them you'll pay 5 dollars for a shirt. What makes videogame stores any different?[/quote]

lmao, private parties can haggle all they want. It is not stated that you cannout buy something from someone in a store. Basically, you are saying the minute you step foot into the store all the games you were intending to bring in to trade are now, whether you like it or not, proprty of the store before you even release them. That ideology is absurd, and laughable.

Good. Now write on the blackboard 100 times:
" I am a whiny, self absorbed brat with entitlement issues".

I'd suggest you do it quickly before the nuns come in with thier rulers.

[quote name='Diiz'][quote name='JSweeney']That's the dumbest statement ever. How is that stealing from the company? There is no contract between the potential seller and the store. If someone makes a better offer, the person trading in their game has all rights to sell elsewhere. Don't be ridiculous.

Haggling has no place in modern commercial venues. You don't walk into a fast food restraunt and say "I'll give you 25 cents for a hamburger". You don't go to the mall and tell them you'll pay 5 dollars for a shirt. What makes videogame stores any different?[/quote]

lmao, private parties can haggle all they want. It is not stated that you cannout buy something from someone in a store. Basically, you are saying the minute you step foot into the store all the games you were intending to bring in to trade are now, whether you like it or not, proprty of the store before you even release them. That ideology is absurd, and laughable.[/quote]

Private parties can haggle all they want, but not in someone else's place of business, and during the middle of a transaction. If you stoped someone before they went into the store and told them the exact same thing, that would be an entirely different issue. YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS TO CONDUCT BUSINESS IN A COMPANIES STOREFRONT! They have every right to eject you from thier place of business if you do so. On top of that, I bet Defender has even had order written up so that he could have people that try to pull that garbage at his store cited for trespassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back