Rewrapping games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Diiz'][quote name='JSweeney']That's the dumbest statement ever. How is that stealing from the company? There is no contract between the potential seller and the store. If someone makes a better offer, the person trading in their game has all rights to sell elsewhere. Don't be ridiculous.

Is it you're storefont? Is it your property? What gives you the right, the sense of entitlement, that you are allowed to conduct business with other patrons in thier place of business?

If you do that kind of stuff in a store, you deserve to be kicked out.
These are storefronts, which have huge costs associated with them.
If you want to do that kind of stuff, go to a flea market or a garage sale.
Haggling has no place in modern commercial venues. You don't walk into a fast food restraunt and say "I'll give you 25 cents for a hamburger". You don't go to the mall and tell them you'll pay 5 dollars for a shirt. What makes videogame stores any different?[/quote]

lmao, private parties can haggle all they want. It is not stated that you cannout buy something from someone in a store. Basically, you are saying the minute you step foot into the store all the games you were intending to bring in to trade are now, whether you like it or not, proprty of the store before you even release them. That ideology is absurd, and laughable.[/quote]

Private parties can haggle all they want, but not in someone else's place of business, and during the middle of a transaction. If you stoped someone before they went into the store and told them the exact same thing, that would be an entirely different issue. YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS TO CONDUCT BUSINESS IN A COMPANIES STOREFRONT! They have every right to eject you from thier place of business if you do so. On top of that, I bet Defender has even had order written up so that he could have people that try to pull that garbage at his store cited for trespassing.[/quote]

If Gamestop had a problem with me, they could've just said "you can't do that here", and I would've still lived. I didn't really care, and the clerk didn't care, so I gave it a shot. Maybe it's because I was buying something anyway, though...

[quote name='Scrubking']STOP FEEDING THE TROLL!
LET THIS STUPID THREAD DIE ALREADY!
[/quote]

Ugh. Scrubking, a "troll" is one that pops up on a discussion board with nothing more to do than to stir up trouble instead of actively participating in a discussion. Sounds a lot like YOU!

No one is forcing you to view this topic. There are thousands of other topics you can chat in.

[quote name='JSweeney']YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS TO CONDUCT BUSINESS IN A COMPANIES STOREFRONT! They have every right to eject you from thier place of business if you do so.[/quote]

Actually, you do have rights for that. Whether or not the store also has the right to kick you out is unknown by me. I am not trying to escalate another war here, I just ask for proof of what you are saying. Regardless of the rights held by the store, haggling with someone over something they still own is NOT stealing from the store...not in any way, shape, or form.

[quote name='Diiz'][quote name='JSweeney']YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS TO CONDUCT BUSINESS IN A COMPANIES STOREFRONT! They have every right to eject you from thier place of business if you do so.[/quote]

Actually, you do have rights for that. Whether or not the store also has the right to kick you out is unknown by me. I am not trying to escalate another war here, I just ask for proof of what you are saying. Regardless of the rights held by the store, haggling with someone over something they still own is NOT stealing from the store...not in any way, shape, or form.[/quote]

Better yet, why don't YOU find the law that says you're free to do whatever you want on someone else's property? "Rights?" You don't have any rights to do anything in someone else's store. They can kick you out for looking at them funny and you can't do anything about it.

This is my favorite topic ever. Now it's the slam Diiz and E-Z-B thread. Let me guess. Diiz is 13 and E-Z-B is 16. Based on the Diiz's inability to go back and reread his own thread and see how it wasn't asking for any of the information he desired and his overall bratty-ness I would have to say he is in middle school. With E-Z-B, he seems to get out a little bit, but fails to understand the concepts of running a business, property, and the overall market place. I assume he can drive if he likes to hang out at game stores and steal trades from the store. Let the awesome thread continue!

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Diiz'][quote name='JSweeney']YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS TO CONDUCT BUSINESS IN A COMPANIES STOREFRONT! They have every right to eject you from thier place of business if you do so.[/quote]

Actually, you do have rights for that. Whether or not the store also has the right to kick you out is unknown by me. I am not trying to escalate another war here, I just ask for proof of what you are saying. Regardless of the rights held by the store, haggling with someone over something they still own is NOT stealing from the store...not in any way, shape, or form.[/quote]

Better yet, why don't YOU find the law that says you're free to do whatever you want on someone else's property? "Rights?" You don't have any rights to do anything in someone else's store. They can kick you out for looking at them funny and you can't do anything about it.[/quote]

Did I say you could do whatever you wanted? Don't be a dope. And repetske, once again, if you cannot read a thread title that asks a specific question, maybe you should have your mommy come over to the computer and explain it to you.

[quote name='Diiz']Did I say you could do whatever you wanted? Don't be a dope. And repetske, once again, if you cannot read a thread title that asks a specific question, maybe you should have your mommy come over to the computer and explain it to you.[/quote]

No, you said that you had some mystical "rights." You don't, outside of the basic civil rights in the constitution. If they let you poach sales from them in the store that's the prerogative of the staff there, but it's not something you're guaranteed.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Diiz']Did I say you could do whatever you wanted? Don't be a dope. And repetske, once again, if you cannot read a thread title that asks a specific question, maybe you should have your mommy come over to the computer and explain it to you.[/quote]

No, you said that you had some mystical "rights." You don't, outside of the basic civil rights in the constitution. If they let you poach sales from them in the store that's the prerogative of the staff there, but it's not something you're guaranteed.[/quote]

Rights and guarantees are two different things. You have the right to haggle, but at the same time they may have the right to kick you out of the store for doing so. See how this works? Welcome to America.

Okay, I'm going to start a thread called "What's your favorite color?" Then in the thread I'll actually ask if people prefer Coke or Pepsi and then start slamming them if they answer and say they can't read. Moron. And I know you're 13. Momma's boy.

[quote name='repetske']Okay, I'm going to start a thread called "What's your favorite color?" Then in the thread I'll actually ask if people prefer Coke or Pepsi and then start slamming them if they answer and say they can't read. Moron. And I know you're 13. Momma's boy.[/quote]

Is it possible that you are really this stupid? That was the worst analogy ever. So you are saying I have to ask the question once in the thread title and again in the first post before people will answer me?

Yes you do. This first part is a subject, as stated in the description. The body is the actual message. I can't believe you've never been able to figure it out. If you had just written in the body, "What do you guys know about rewrapping games?" this argument would have started completely differently. Unfortunately, in the end you're still an idiot.

[quote name='repetske']This is my favorite topic ever. Now it's the slam Diiz and E-Z-B thread. Let me guess. Diiz is 13 and E-Z-B is 16. Based on the Diiz's inability to go back and reread his own thread and see how it wasn't asking for any of the information he desired and his overall bratty-ness I would have to say he is in middle school. With E-Z-B, he seems to get out a little bit, but fails to understand the concepts of running a business, property, and the overall market place. I assume he can drive if he likes to hang out at game stores and steal trades from the store. Let the awesome thread continue![/quote]

:shock: Sorry guys, I didn't know this would start another flame war.

[quote name='Diiz']Rights and guarantees are two different things. You have the right to haggle, but at the same time they may have the right to kick you out of the store for doing so. See how this works? Welcome to America.[/quote]

You misunderstand what a right is, I think. You have no "right" to haggle nor buy from other customers while in the store. You can try to and maybe they'll let you do it or maybe they'll ask you to leave, but that's not a right. Put it in another context: if someone came into your house and started rummaging through your refrigerator and eating stuff you could either let them be or kick them out. Do they have a right to be in your house eating your food? No.

Diiz, why do you say in the first post "Yes, a lousy thing to be asking about" if you think everything you are trying to do is so legit. Why would it be lousy if you weren't trying to scam the store?

Sec. 17-57. Trespassing.

Definitions. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:

“Premises” means any real estate and all improvements erected thereon.

A person “enters unlawfully” or “remains unlawfully” in or upon premises when the person is not licensed, invited, or otherwise privileged to do so. A person who, regardless of their intent, enters or remains in or upon premises that are at the time open to the public, does so with license and privilege unless the person defies a lawful order not to enter or remain, personally communicated to them by the owner of the premises or some other authorized person. A license or privilege to enter or remain in a building that is only partially open to the public is not a license or privilege to enter or remain in that part of the building that is not open to the public.

It shall be unlawful for any person to remain on the premises of another after being requested to leave by the owner, agent of the owner, tenant or any person in possession or control of the premises, or by returning to the premises within twenty-four (24) hours from the request to leave or within such other period of time as may be specified in the request, without the permission of the owner, agent of the owner, tenant or any person in possession or control of the premises.

Fort Lewis tresspassing statute

There, concisely stated, is every possible right that a store would need to kick you out of thier venue. While this only accounts for this one specific jurisdiction, every other locality in the US will have a similar statute on the books.

Therefore, while they have an explicitly stated right to eject you for any reason they see fit, you have no explicitly stated right that you may barter with other patrons on thier premises. Therefore, since there is no explicitly stated right, and no other right where a reasonable extention could be made, you do not have a right to haggle. Will you always be ejected if you try to? No. Enforcement is left up to the owner, or another person likelywise privilaged (ex. Store manager, cashier, etc.)

There you go. I have legal statues, and I could easily get case law to back up my contention. Where's your proof to the contrary?

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Diiz']Rights and guarantees are two different things. You have the right to haggle, but at the same time they may have the right to kick you out of the store for doing so. See how this works? Welcome to America.[/quote]

You misunderstand what a right is, I think. You have no "right" to haggle nor buy from other customers while in the store. You can try to and maybe they'll let you do it or maybe they'll ask you to leave, but that's not a right. Put it in another context: if someone came into your house and started rummaging through your refrigerator and eating stuff you could either let them be or kick them out. Do they have a right to be in your house eating your food? No.[/quote]

Except then that's trespassing, which is against the law. (Not that I'm defending what I did - I just didn't see if from JSweeney's angle).

But EZB, by the letter of the law, what you did is trespassing as well, provided that the store owner, or likewise entitled person, gave you due notice to leave. Based on the statutes in most localities, they have every right to do so.

I didn't say there was a "contrary". I just said that while you can haggle in a store, I wasn't sure of the laws that applied as to whether or not a store could kick you out. If they can kick you out for that, fine, you were right about that, but it is not stealing from the store.

[quote name='jmcc']Put it in another context: if someone came into your house and started rummaging through your refrigerator and eating stuff you could either let them be or kick them out. Do they have a right to be in your house eating your food? No.[/quote]

That is not the same at all for a couple of reasons.

1. Entering someone's home without their permission is, in itself, punishable by law. I am allowed to enter a store without getting in trouble. I am not saying I can't be kicked out of said store, or banned from it, but you cannot get in trouble by entering as long as you are in the appropriate age group (depending on the nature of the store).

2. Eating food in someone else's house without permission (stealing) is completely different than haggling with someone for THEIR property in a store. I am not stealing from the store, first of all, nor am I trying to haggle by using the stores merchandise. I am not going in and saying "I'll trade you that copy of Metal Gear you have there for that copy of Lunar Legend on the shelf over there. Get it yet?

[quote name='JSweeney']But EZB, by the letter of the law, what you did is trespassing as well, provided that the store owner, or likewise entitled person, gave you due notice to leave. Based on the statutes in most localities, they have every right to do so.[/quote]

Oh, I'm not arguing with you there. If they told me to leave, and I didn't, I should've been locked up. But in my situation, the clerk didn't care, and he even gave me a big smile and told me to come again.

[quote name='E-Z-B'][quote name='JSweeney']But EZB, by the letter of the law, what you did is trespassing as well, provided that the store owner, or likewise entitled person, gave you due notice to leave. Based on the statutes in most localities, they have every right to do so.[/quote]

Oh, I'm not arguing with you there. If they told me to leave, and I didn't, I should've been locked up. But in my situation, the clerk didn't care, and he even gave me a big smile and told me to come again.[/quote]

Yes, that's because that clerk was smart enough to handle the situation diplomatically... why lose a customer over something small. If it became a pattern, however, I'd assume that they'd have no problem ejecting you, and possibly even pressing charges.

Just because they can enforce the statute doesn't mean they have to... and it's not good business to try to chase away customers. Had you come in and then left without buying something, however, I think the situation may have ended differently.

JSweeney - I think in my situation, it wasn't a matter of breaking the law. It was a question of ethics. Was it ethical that I bought one of the 30 games that the guy was going to sell to Gamestop? You're saying "no", but at that time, I didn't see anything wrong with it, although I now see your point of view. In the end, I walked away with an extra game plus the game I bought from Gamestop, the seller walked away with some cash, and the clerk had 29 games to sell plus the cash he got from me for what I bought from Gamestop.

[quote name='jmcc']You misunderstand what a right is, I think. You have no "right" to haggle nor buy from other customers while in the store. You can try to and maybe they'll let you do it or maybe they'll ask you to leave, but that's not a right. Put it in another context: if someone came into your house and started rummaging through your refrigerator and eating stuff you could either let them be or kick them out. Do they have a right to be in your house eating your food? No.[/quote]

That reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Apu comes to the Simpsons house and asks to look through their magazines and go through their fridge (implying that they do the same to his Kwik-E-Mart). While that's funny, I don't think its an apt comparison to a place of business.

From my understanding, whoever that was that mentioned buying a game from a person in line was waiting in line himself. Thus he was not there unlawfully, or remaining unlawfully. He was there to conduct business with the store, and it just so happened that opportunity presented itself. If I'm not mistaken, this is America, home of free commerce. While common sense dictates you can't just set up shop inside a store to buy used games off people, that wasn't his intent.

Of course, the store could've kicked him out. But from what the previous arguments state, the store has the right to kick you out for any reason, if you're loitering, taking pictures (my friend was actually kicked out of a store for that), if they don't like the cut of your gib.. etc.

BUT I don't think that's what's in question here. Its whether or not that is considered stealing. Whether he is up to be kicked out is irrelevant; if the manager deems him to be a malcontent has no bearing to whether he is actually causing trouble or stealing. In this particular case, that would be not considered stealing (as the money for that game was never in the store's hands to begin with), loitering or trespassing (as he intended to do business with said company, hence being on line). Coincidentally he was not kicked out, as there was no reason for him to be.

On a side note, I actually sold an Enter the Dragon DVD directly to a Gamestop cashier. He told me it would work out better that way, I would get more than if I sold it to GS, and he'd buy it for like a dollar or two less without having to put it through the system. Isn't that what America was founded on, free commerce?

Everyone should just chill, we're all getting a bit too judgmental here. :?

[quote name='magilacudy']*Very well thought out and appreciated post....*

Everyone should just chill, we're all getting a bit too judgmental here. :?[/quote]

Agreed. I apologize to anyone I have offended throughout the course of this 7 page adventure. I don't know you, you don't know me. I have completed several successful trades here, and would like to continue to do so. I don't want to give myself a bad reputation, but on a side note, I never sell/trade anything that is still factory (or otherwise :p) sealed. I only trade what I have played myself.

Call it a draw. Can we all move on from this now?

[quote name='Diiz']Call it a draw. Can we all move on from this now?[/quote]

No dice. You must perform the ceremonial dance of truce in order to move on: The Truffle Shuffle.

This is what i have done (once). If you dont like the game, you should be able to get your money back. I mean, this IS america isnt it? If you dont like something you should be able to return it, just like every other product people return. Ok, here's what you do. If you have some shipping tape (clear) you can repackage those new PC boxes really easy. They dont come in shrink wrap anymore, just a small box with a piece of tape holding the top together. For GBA games, i wouldnt know. But they DO have shrink wrapping machines. Make friends with someone at a small second hand game store if you have those around. Also, video stores have them for when they sell previously viewed movies. I'm sure other places have them as well, but they do exist. As a last resort, yes Ebay is fine. I dont agree with the other posts on here condemning you for trying to make an exchange. Even store credit would be better than nothing. Especially with cartridges...to my knowledge you cant COPY those. There is no reason why you shouldnt be allowed to return it , in my opinion. Stupid electronics return policies...

[quote name='Kelegacy']This is what i have done (once). If you dont like the game, you should be able to get your money back. I mean, this IS america isnt it? If you dont like something you should be able to return it, just like every other product people return.
There is no reason why you shouldnt be allowed to return it , in my opinion. Stupid electronics return policies...[/quote]

Do you live in the same America as I do? Capitalism doesn't let fickle consumers change their mind whenever the bloody hell they feel like it. If you've made a crappy purchasing decision, you're stuck with it unless you choose to resell it yourself.

And return policies weren't created so that people can return things they don't like - they were created so that people can exchange malfunctioning merchandise for something that works.

I haven't read this thread yet, so I don't know if it's been brought up, but return policies for electronics, especially games, are VERY strict because they need to be. The policies are designed to stop people from buying a game, copying it, and returning the original copy.

Some of the people on this site make me sick...

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='Kelegacy']This is what i have done (once). If you dont like the game, you should be able to get your money back. I mean, this IS america isnt it? If you dont like something you should be able to return it, just like every other product people return.
There is no reason why you shouldnt be allowed to return it , in my opinion. Stupid electronics return policies...[/quote]

Do you live in the same America as I do? Capitalism doesn't let fickle consumers change their mind whenever the bloody hell they feel like it. If you've made a crappy purchasing decision, you're stuck with it unless you choose to resell it yourself.

And return policies weren't created so that people can return things they don't like - they were created so that people can exchange malfunctioning merchandise for something that works.

I haven't read this thread yet, so I don't know if it's been brought up, but return policies for electronics, especially games, are VERY strict because they need to be. The policies are designed to stop people from buying a game, copying it, and returning the original copy.[/quote]

Agreed. Video games are different than other items because it's so easy to copy them. And yes, you can copy cartridge games - how do you explain roms? The return policy is intended to prevent copyright infringement, but even if you only made a dumb purchase, a policy is a policy, and you shouldn't get special treatment.

Hey, he asked if it could be done, and i said it could. But i think your idea of Capitalism is ludicrous. We cant change our minds if we dont like a product? Bull. It is our perogative to change our minds and be FICKLE if we so choose because if not companies could be raping us blind. If a game is wholly bad, i say you should be able to take it back. You shouldnt just have to eat your money in return for something less than a pile of garbage. You can return produce/groceries if you are not satisfied with the product; why not entertainment? You can get your money refunded at certain shows if you do not enjoy the production. The customer should always be right, and though i dont promote abusing the gaming industry, if a game is bad you should have the right to bring it back in the store. Defaming companies by rewrapping games is an unfortunate way to get your money back, but it is the only way short of selling it for less than you paid. I personally investigate games by looking up reviews and such before buying a game but some people bypass that and sometimes buy for their children without investigating. Just like if you opened up the gamebox and inside sat a big fat turd, you should be able to return a crappy game. yes it is possible to copy the game perhaps, but if i returned a box of cheerios half eaten to the grocery store and got my money back, couldnt i just have eaten to get full and returned to get my refund, hence getting a free meal? This is a ridiculous comparison but i am just arguing a side where all products should be returnably equal if it is unsatisfactory to the customer.

Hey, he asked if it could be done, and i said it could. But i think your idea of Capitalism is ludicrous. We cant change our minds if we dont like a product? Bull. It is our perogative to change our minds and be FICKLE if we so choose because if not companies could be raping us blind.

Right. So lets just start returning cars because we just don't like the paint color. Let's just try to return a house because it's starting to smell funny.
Economic systems don't work like that. If everything were so lax, fickle consumers would be raping the companies blind, and in turn, any formal economic system would lapse and more likely that not anarchy would hold sway.

If a game is wholly bad, i say you should be able to take it back.

That isn't the policy you agree to when you purchase said item. By it's purchase you enter into a contract, and hold a liscense for a specific piece of software. That's the major problem people have... they actually think they are buying a game. They aren't. They are purchasing a single user liscense for a software product, with which they are provided a copy of that game on a specific format. They are constrained to the provisions of said software liscense. This would all be quite clear if people actually bothered to read the fine print in thier instruction manuals.

You shouldnt just have to eat your money in return for something less than a pile of garbage.

You should know better than to buy garbage. Caveat Emptor. Let the Buyer Beware. It's standard practice. Just because you don't like that fact doesn't make it any less true.

You can return produce/groceries if you are not satisfied with the product; why not entertainment?

Entertainment is not a necessity for life. Entertainment doesn't spoil. Entertainment doesn't rot. On top of that, there isn't an expressly written liscensing agreement included in the documentation with food products. There is one with entertainment products, and buy purchasing said product, you are bound to said agreement.

You can get your money refunded at certain shows if you do not enjoy the production.
CAN. You can. There is no entitlement to it. Some venues value customer satisfaction very highly, and are willing to take a small loss to keep a potential customer. Videogame stores don't work on that principle for the most part. New game sales produce very modest profits for stores. If they were willing to take back any game for any reason, they'd realize huge losses very quickly. Why do you think EB suspended that policy. They are business, not your friends. They exist to make money, and sometimes to make a profit you have to take a hard line.
Of course, it's not an entirely new idea that media products can't be return after being opened expect in the case of a defect. They did it for beta tapes. The did it for Video cassetes. The did it for cassette tapes. They've done it for CDs. It's not a new concept to do it for videogames.

The customer should always be right, and though i dont promote abusing the gaming industry, if a game is bad you should have the right to bring it back in the store

The customer is not always right. There is a point where business realities set in, and policies must be in place and enforced. People are inherently selfish, and will push for as much as they can get for as little as they must pay. The trick is balancing a satisfactory level where the customer is satisfied and business realize profits.

. Defaming companies by rewrapping games is an unfortunate way to get your money back, but it is the only way short of selling it for less than you paid.
It's fraud. There is no two ways about it. You are knowingly misrepresenting something, and have taken actions to support that deception.

I personally investigate games by looking up reviews and such before buying a game but some people bypass that and sometimes buy for their children without investigating.

Then they get stuck with crap games. If they get stuck with too many crap games, they stop buying games. If people stop buying, the industry stagnates and dies. That's the way things work.

Just like if you opened up the gamebox and inside sat a big fat turd, you should be able to return a crappy game.

You should know better than to buy a crappy game, if you buy it.. too bad. Caveat Emptor. It isn't a new concept.

yes it is possible to copy the game perhaps, but if i returned a box of cheerios half eaten to the grocery store and got my money back, couldnt i just have eaten to get full and returned to get my refund, hence getting a free meal?

You could do it, but the people that sold it to you would want a reason (spoilage, etc), and on top of that, they would track your returns... if you return to much, they will refuse to take your returns... even for food items.

This is a ridiculous comparison but i am just arguing a side where all products should be returnably equal if it is unsatisfactory to the customer.

Just because you think it would be nice, or the way it should be doesn't mean that that is the way it is. It will never be that way. It's a childish, uniformed view that puts one's own selfish desires over everything else.

Who here think Diiz is a a asshole! And this thread should be locked Say AYE!

AYE:

Hey Diiz What some french crys and a Wamm-burger! You cry baby, sissy, little girl! Oh I bought a game for kids that my 5 year brother allready had. booo hooo hhoooo! :( He laughed laughed at me booo hooo hoo! :( He called me a little sissy girl cause i couldn't beat the 2nd level squirtle booo hooo hooo! :( I couldn't take this game back and prove my manhood to the store booo hhhoooo ooo :( snif snif.... I couldn't tell the meany store man to take it back booo hooo hooo :( ! And He called me a little sissy girl for crying in the store boooo hooo hhooooo :( ! Sniff Snif...(lip quivering and eyes watering) Im telling my mommey! :-({|=

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Idiocy at its finest[/quote]

What a dumbass. The discussion is over. Did you even read any of it? Probably not, so shove it plzkthx.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Who here think Diiz is a a asshole! And this thread should be locked Say AYE!

AYE:

Hey Diiz What some french crys and a Wamm-burger! You cry baby, sissy, little girl! Oh I bought a game for kids that my 5 year brother allready had. booo hooo hhoooo! :( He laughed laughed at me booo hooo hoo! :( He called me a little sissy girl cause i couldn't beat the 2nd level squirtle booo hooo hooo! :( I couldn't take this game back and prove my manhood to the store booo hhhoooo ooo :( snif snif.... I couldn't tell the meany store man to take it back booo hooo hooo :( ! And He called me a little sissy girl for crying in the store boooo hooo hhooooo :( ! Sniff Snif...(lip quivering and eyes watering) Im telling my mommey! :-({|=[/quote]

OH Yeah! DEF LEOPARD SUCKS!!
Joe Dirt was a pretty funny movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back