Rock Band 2, coming to Xbox 360 this September, everything else later

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
rockband2tba20080629094py5.jpg

- The announcement.
- The painfully vague and pussyfootish interview.

Oh hell yes. Quick bullet points:
- Coming to 360 first in September, and to "all [other] relevant platforms" (PS3, PS2, and Wii, I'm assuming) by year's end.
- All DLC will be cross-game, so when you buy a song (and this also applies to songs you have right now), you can instantly play it in either RB1 or RB2, unlike GH3 and GH:WT. Sweet.
- They PROMISE more full albums this Fall.
- 100% master recordings this time, just like GH:WT.
- Major online and offline "party-friendliness" improvements, such as better menu navigation, to make it easier for people to plug in and play.
- RB1 instruments will work just fine on RB2, of course.
- Big promises: They've been "scouring forums and parties everywhere for what people liked and didn't like," and are now "confident we've addressed everything I've heard people ask for." They also promise "what I can easily say is the best setlist I've ever seen in a music game" and that it "reads like a who's who list of rock music." "We've taken almost everything people have asked for in Rock Band and added it to Rock Band 2, as well as including some 'first time ever' features."
- Doesn't sound like they're going for a studio mode like GH:WT's. The way they talk about it, it sounds like they'd rather make a separate, more expansive and full-featured studio product, than include a lesser studio mode in RB2.
- Each instrument has been upgraded ("quieter, more realistic, and more reliable"), and they also promise "player choice and customizability in their instruments," as in, more than just stickers.
- They're talking to other peripheral makers to make instruments for the game: "Just like real instruments, we want players to be able to choose what instruments they use, and we'll be expanding the choice of players alongside Rock Band 2."
- The graphics and in-song UI look pretty much unchanged.

Here's the sexy new guitar (and yes, it's wireless standard on 360 this time):
rockband2tba20080629094gb3.jpg

Glad I didn't run out and buy RB1 for Doolittle. I had a feeling they might be announcing this. Hopefully the new drumset is quieter!

Well that puts a hold on the $130 of credit I have at GS. Unless I buy that PSP like I was planning too :lol:

And like I've been saying in the RB thread, I knew they wouldn't have let GHWT come out without putting out a new SKU to compete.

The staggered release blows, but everything else sounds great. Especially the info that they've fixed the BWT issues with getting Metallica or Green Grass in the random gigs that screw you over.

Well I haven't downloaded many songs, but making Rock Band 2 work with Rock Band 1 DLC is just pure genius.

That alone, makes me already interested in the game.

[quote name='Dingleberry']RB1 hasn't even been out a year...wth[/QUOTE]

RB1 will be 10 months old by the time RB2 launches on 360 (and I'd wager just about a year old by the time it hits the other platforms)...GH sees a core release on average once every 12 months, so RB isn't really that out of line with GH (and if you count Encore and Aerosmith, there is a new GH on average every ~7 months, so...).

I'm assuming that they will focus on the 360 first to jump the market on software sales (since 360 will sell the most copies of the platforms).

Kinda shitty for everyone else (me included), and I'm glad I held off on buying RB with the sequel coming so soon. I'll be interested if they offer a DLC of the 1st RB songs. (Too much to ask?)

BC DLC FTMFW.

When I read the headline, I was disappointed, but reading the details... I'm in. I hope there's a disc only version released at the same time as the bundle.

Meh, I'll wait a little, no problem (I have it on PS3). As long as the wait isn't a year, I'm fine (SingStar is my Music/Dance love at the moment). Cool news, but in reality, it may not be a day one buy for me.

:drool:

That sounds really nice. However I am pretty pissed off by that staggered release. They should at least release the 360/PS3 versions at the same time.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']I hope there's a disc only version released at the same time as the bundle.[/QUOTE]
The first one had a disc only at release so I think its safe to assume RB2 will be available the same way. And with all the choose your own instruments talk, seems like there will be a lot of options. Come on double guitars.

This is what I've been waiting for, downloaded songs work on the next game... I'm already sold! I'm really hoping for back-up vocals, mic stand, easier ways to switch names, and an online world tour. It really sounds, vaguely, like they are adding more features for single player and world tour.

Here's hoping that some of the GHIV instruments work in Rock Band 2 as well.

I'm gonna get just the game, then the whole bundle for GH4

Because I have a feeling the new drums for RB2 are gonna look a lot like the GH4 set. And based off compatibility w/ each others instruments, GH will work with RB

I guess I'm the only one thinking that EA should focus on dropping the price of the Rock Band bundle instead of putting out a new one, so as to *ensure* that GHIV dies off immediately?

Y'know, $100-$130 for RB bundle versus $189 for GHIV seems, at least in my head, like a better idea than a shiny new version of the same RB bundle for $170.

I've wanted Rock Band for a while now, but now it just makes more sense to get RB2 with the better instruments, and buy the RB1 disc only.

Controller looks nice, but I still dont have the first game because I dont have a PS3 still. The big question is can you use your downloads from the first game into the second one.

Does anyone else think a sequel is kind of unnecessary when they could just keep releasing DLC for the first one? It doesn't look like they're adding very much to the game from what that article is telling me.

The new and improved instruments are going to be awesome.

Sucks for PS3 owners, it's all good though, I'm sure those of you who have a PS3 are used to it by now.

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']The big question is can you use your downloads from the first game into the second one.[/quote]

This has been mentioned several times in this thread already, along with the original post.

yes.

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']Does anyone else think a sequel is kind of unnecessary when they could just keep releasing DLC for the first one? It doesn't look like they're adding very much to the game from what that article is telling me.[/quote]
They are going to keep releasing DLC for Rock Band. You're not forced to buy RB2 if you only care about getting more DLC.

[quote name='mykevermin']I guess I'm the only one thinking that EA should focus on dropping the price of the Rock Band bundle instead of putting out a new one, so as to *ensure* that GHIV dies off immediately?

Y'know, $100-$130 for RB bundle versus $189 for GHIV seems, at least in my head, like a better idea than a shiny new version of the same RB bundle for $170.[/QUOTE]

Agree for sure and thought this was going to be their plan all along. What happened to Rock Band being a platform that just gets updated over time? Yearly releases of two major expensive franchise may kill the entire genre.

[quote name='mykevermin']I guess I'm the only one thinking that EA should focus on dropping the price of the Rock Band bundle instead of putting out a new one, so as to *ensure* that GHIV dies off immediately?

Y'know, $100-$130 for RB bundle versus $189 for GHIV seems, at least in my head, like a better idea than a shiny new version of the same RB bundle for $170.[/quote]

No, that makes sense to me too.

I hope they aren't withholding more features to be announced later, especially since this announcement seems pretty light on new features and the game is dropping so soon. GH: World Tour seems to be gaining momentum, so EA needs to focus on taking it back.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Online world tour please.[/quote]This. Wasn't that supposed to be patched in at some point? :p

But, yeah, a disc-only RB2 might be in my future, depending on the setlist.

Now if there were a way to pull in the RB1 songs into RB2 so you wouldn't have to disc-swap for the non-DLC stuff.

[quote name='daroga']Now if there were a way to pull in the RB1 songs into RB2 so you wouldn't have to disc-swap for the non-DLC stuff.[/quote]

I'm hoping for that, too. If they just released all the RB1 songs as DLC, that would be great. There are probably less than 30 that I'd really want to have, so for $2 each that would be cheaper than buying the disc.

I won't mind never having to play Say It Ain't So and In Bloom ever again.

[quote name='metaly']I'm hoping for that, too. If they just released all the RB1 songs as DLC, that would be great. There are probably less than 30 that I'd really want to have, so for $2 each that would be cheaper than buying the disc.

I won't mind never having to play Say It Ain't So and In Bloom ever again.[/quote]

Just Shut Up! ;)

Say It Ain't So and In Bloom are great songs.

Y'know, $100-$130 for RB bundle versus $189 for GHIV seems, at least in my head, like a better idea than a shiny new version of the same RB bundle for $170.[/QUOTE]
This doesn't work because a RB price drop doesn't do anything for current RB owners. A new disc with a new set list and a few new features, along with an excuse to toss out more controllers makes much more money than just DLC. And the DLC train will just keeps printing more money.

GH will always exist anyway. With the eleventy billion expansion discs coming out.

[quote name='Scorch']Sold. Just hope it has a practice mode for drums.. or a mode where you just play whatever you want[/quote]
IGN: We'd love to have a solo mode so people can just mess around with drums or guitar. Any hope on that front?

Teasdale: We have several new modes that not only provide new ways for you to experience your music library, but also new ways for you to transition from Expert to real instruments.

It's hinted at in the interview.

[quote name='primetime']No, that makes sense to me too.

I hope they aren't withholding more features to be announced later, especially since this announcement seems pretty light on new features and the game is dropping so soon. GH: World Tour seems to be gaining momentum, so EA needs to focus on taking it back.[/quote]
To me Guitar Hero already won for having one extra drum pad and hinting at including dream theater in the setlist on the game informer article. Guitar Hero peripherals are also guaranteed to be more comfortable and easier to use since the guitar pictured in the OP looks to have the same kind of useless piece of junk strum bar the original had.

[quote name='darthbudge']Just Shut Up! ;)

Say It Ain't So and In Bloom are great songs.[/quote]

They were until the 1000th time I had to play them in World Tour. :whistle2:?

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']Does anyone else think a sequel is kind of unnecessary when they could just keep releasing DLC for the first one?[/QUOTE]

As stated, they will continue releasing DLC for the first one. It needs to be understood that there is no difference between RB1 DLC, and RB2 DLC. There's just Rock Band DLC, period; buy a song, and use it in either, or both games.

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']It doesn't look like they're adding very much to the game from what that article is telling me.[/QUOTE]

"We've taken almost everything people have asked for in Rock Band and added it to Rock Band 2, as well as including some 'first time ever' features."

That sounds like they must be adding a hell of a lot, to me. They just haven't said what it all is yet. Wait till E3, yo.

[quote name='primetime']I hope they aren't withholding more features to be announced later,[/quote]
Of course they are.

What part of "we're adding everything you asked for" don't you people get? :/

[quote name='mykevermin']I guess I'm the only one thinking that EA should focus on dropping the price of the Rock Band bundle instead of putting out a new one, so as to *ensure* that GHIV dies off immediately?[/QUOTE]
GH: World Tour seems to be gaining momentum, so EA needs to focus on taking it back.

I don't really think EA is counting on killing off GH anytime soon. I mean (and yes, I know that GH3 and RB aren't directly comparable at all, but still), GH3 has sold 11 million copies versus RB's 2.5 million. The two will be competing more evenly this time, but I don't think there is anything EA or anybody else could do to to outright destroy a franchise like GH. Competitive co-existence is the best-case scenario here.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Competitive co-existence is the best-case scenario here.[/QUOTE]

But also the least likely scenario, given the incompatibility problems each series' controllers have with each other. The only thing preventing me from buying GHWT is that I simply have too much shit (and by shit I mean accessories, obviously) already.

I certainly am not foolish enough to think GH would "die," but would, hmm..."Tony Hawk" itself were it to launch around $200 while Rock Band could be had for $70-90 less.

But if EA thinks that another $170 bundle with only under-the-hood controller reliability issues need to be addressed, that's their prerogative.

[quote name='mykevermin']But also the least likely scenario,[/QUOTE]
So, wait. You don't think that the 2.5 million seller (and DLC sales world champion) can co-exist with the 11-million seller? Don't see why not. It's not like RB is in dire straights here.

This will be the first time both RB and GH will be really directly competing, and I really don't think that price dropping the first one is the only way for RB to get a leg-up. I think it'd be smartest to wait until they've talked a bit more about the features of each game, before speculating much further.

Yeah I think that the staggered release is absolutly BS. Yeah there are alot of 360s out on the market. But I bet that there the number of ps3s on the market are damn close. There only hurting themselves with this.

bread's done
Back