Rock Band and Star Trek team up for free DLC

I got a win on both of my emails. I tried to use the dot trick on one of the emails near the beginning of the contest and did it for a significant amount of entries, but none of them worked. Darn :p

sadly, i was only given one code :(. 4 seperate emails, all with different ip's. I think they match their emails with the ip's and just don't give them out to those with repeat ip addresses.

[quote name='pk24']sadly, i was only given one code :(. 4 seperate emails, all with different ip's. I think they match their emails with the ip's and just don't give them out to those with repeat ip addresses.[/quote]
Wow you really went to 4 different places to enter into this contest? And are you sure that repeating your IP addresses basically nulls the entry?

I'm pretty sure that other people have won by using the same IP and probably the Gmail dot trick.

[quote name='pk24']sadly, i was only given one code :(. 4 seperate emails, all with different ip's. I think they match their emails with the ip's and just don't give them out to those with repeat ip addresses.[/quote]

Wrong, doesn't matter. Good luck though.

The dot trick didn't work for me on this or the stride one. So I pretty much spent an hour doing that and ended up with just one entry on that email anyway lol

[quote name='pk24']sadly, i was only given one code :(. 4 seperate emails, all with different ip's. I think they match their emails with the ip's and just don't give them out to those with repeat ip addresses.[/QUOTE]

Not true. I know several people that won multiple times with entries from the same IP.

Plus due to the fact that many businesses, apartment complexes, dorms, schools, cyber-cafes, etc, all use NAT to map their many, many users to a single internet IP, it would not make sense to allow only one entry per IP. A promotion like this would probably get a few submissions from different people using the same IP (schools, dorms, etc)... However, submitting many, many entries from the same address would be suspect.

It is much more likely that they used other means to detect multiple entries.

I can't believe that ANY promotion still falls for the dot or plus trick, both of which widely known and are easily detected. From what I have heard, no one that tried the dot tick with this promotion won anything, even though some submitted hundreds or thousands of variations. Actually, I found it suspect that I didn't win on any of my 'free' email accounts, although I won a few on non-free accounts. Coincidence? I don't think so...

I all but gave up on this contest, but I won on both my accounts yesterday.

One was a free e-mail account and the other was a "pay" account. To have both strike oil on the same day, I'm guessing it might have something to do with the alphabet.

[quote name='A Gamer']Actually, I found it suspect that I didn't win on any of my 'free' email accounts, although I won a few on non-free accounts. Coincidence? I don't think so...[/QUOTE]
I won yesterday morning, on a SpamGourmet account. So, not only a "free" account, but a "fake" one, too. I almost always use services like spamgourmet for promotions nowadays; I like to know who's spamming me and who's selling my info.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']What exactly do you mean by a free and non-free e-mail account?[/QUOTE]

Free email accounts... Like from yahoo, hotmail, gmail, live, etc... The kind that people could (ab)use to make lots of 'disposable' accounts for promotions and such.

[quote name='NoDAK']I won yesterday morning, on a SpamGourmet account. So, not only a "free" account, but a "fake" one, too. I almost always use services like spamgourmet for promotions nowadays; I like to know who's spamming me and who's selling my info.[/QUOTE]

SpamGourmet isn't nearly as (ab)used as yahoo, gmail and hotmail... My guess is that most people here had never even heard of it until your post... :whistle2:#

I am sure there are other free email services, or redirect services that are not common enough to merit being completely blocked. Course, if people start posting them, then that could change.

Perhaps I should amend my post to indicate the popular free email sites.

I won three times using my gmail accounts, and one of the winning emails had a "." in the middle of the username, so they're not detecting it like that.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Wow you really went to 4 different places to enter into this contest? And are you sure that repeating your IP addresses basically nulls the entry?

I'm pretty sure that other people have won by using the same IP and probably the Gmail dot trick.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was the case with the last time with Stride, oh well. They were all friends though so it wasn't like i physically went :).

Does anyone know when these codes expire?

Damn, I have 9.00 in my PSN account so I was hoping to win once so I could get Soldner-X without throwing extra cash in the account.

Oh well, congrats to the winners.

So once midnight or so hits, the giveaway will be over? I've been holding out on checking my e-mails as I entered in a lot. >_>

[quote name='Sdawg']No codes for me this time, guess I'll wait for the next rockband points giveaway in a couple of months,lol[/QUOTE]

http://pepsi.yahoo.com/rockband/

In case that lol wasn't as knowing as it could have been.

One entry into the Trek contest for me, and no download code. Oh well; at least I recieved a code from the Stride gum contest a few months ago. I think EA needs to work with MS/Sony to figure out a way to award (rebate?) actual song downloads, rather than $2 on the user account (or limit redemptions to one per account), but it's not my call.

[quote name='bjkrautk']I think EA needs to work with MS/Sony to figure out a way to award (rebate?) actual song downloads, rather than $2 on the user account (or limit redemptions to one per account), but it's not my call.[/quote]

this is heresy, heresy I say! I'm just fine with MS points or PSN cash that can be used on anything.

the one per account thing might be nice, although I enter these contests for my family members too so that would be a bummer, if we actually won any codes.

[quote name='bjkrautk']I think EA needs to work with MS/Sony to figure out a way to award (rebate?) actual song downloads...[/QUOTE]
I personally prefer codes that can be redeemed for anything, but I don't see why they can't limit the codes per account like they did with the 100-point codes from the dream car promotion.

[quote name='playing mantis']the one per account thing might be nice, although I enter these contests for my family members too so that would be a bummer, if we actually won any codes.[/QUOTE]
Don't your family members have separate live accounts? They would still be able to win one (or whatever the limit is) code each.

[quote name='bjkrautk']http://pepsi.yahoo.com/rockband/

In case that lol wasn't as knowing as it could have been.

One entry into the Trek contest for me, and no download code. Oh well; at least I recieved a code from the Stride gum contest a few months ago. I think EA needs to work with MS/Sony to figure out a way to award (rebate?) actual song downloads, rather than $2 on the user account (or limit redemptions to one per account), but it's not my call.[/quote]

You just text the code to them and you can win a 360? I'm in :D

[quote name='Southard']yea i did not win one at all yet some cheaters raked them in by the truck load that is pretty messed up.[/quote]

Yes, some people are just so selfish and greedy that they don't care if they use fraud to gain unjust wins that people like you should get one of.

What's worse is that they see nothing wrong with it or just say its how things are, so are willing to brag about all of those cheated wins right in front of you.

What's even worse is that some are not even grateful about. The one guy who said he "only" won 14 codes sure is a piece of work.

I won one code on one entry :). It was going to be enough points to make it so I could buy the new gears of war 2 maps but then my daughter (who is 1) grabbed a hold of my controller and downloaded a gears of war 2 theme for me :(.

bread's done
Back