Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

infinite-yes-daniel-bryan.gif

I look forward to resuming my custodial duties on the OP. No keys is a massive disappointment and I have fully thrown my support behind Rocksmith these days, but I will support RB4 day 1 without question. DLC carrying forward is huge.

Laughed during the video where they were talking about mistakes and showed a big glut of the statues you could have made of your created characters. I actually thought that was kind of awesome (never did it), but whatever.

This is probably going to make or break Harmonix, so I hope it sells half a billion fucking copies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought by EA? you mean Viacom?
Yeah, you're right. I thought EA took over something after RB3 came out, but looking back, it seems it was just speculation. My God there were a lot of hands in that cookie jar though. MTV, EA, MadCatz, and Viacom.

Corrected my post above to reflect that, lol ;)

Was there a better site to organize what DLC you had than the DLCquickplay site that is linked in the OP?  I swear there was a site where you could quickly build your collection list by checking off which imports you had, etc.  Maybe it was that site but it seems like managing your dlc list on there is a mess.

Also have they said anything about a possible RB3 track export?

Was there a better site to organize what DLC you had than the DLCquickplay site that is linked in the OP? I swear there was a site where you could quickly build your collection list by checking off which imports you had, etc. Maybe it was that site but it seems like managing your dlc list on there is a mess.

Also have they said anything about a possible RB3 track export?
There used to be http://www.myrockbandsongs.com/ but it has been shut down. Guy says he may bring it back now that RB4 is announced.

I really need to work on the OP since the new site broke a lot of the formatting. "Someday."

What a bunch of bullshit. They tell us we can use our old instruments in Rock Band 4, yet we're not allowed to buy the game without paying $130 for a guitar bundle or $250 for a band bundle. If I can't buy the game alone, I'm not interested.

That's rough. I'll probably still buy day 1 - I need a new guitar anyway and at least theoretically these will be built better. Plus I've been using the GH guitars for a few years now and it'll be nice to have a larger Rock Band guitar with the extra buttons again.

But that's not going to please a lot of people. Hope the song lineup is good.

What a bunch of bullshit. They tell us we can use our old instruments in Rock Band 4, yet we're not allowed to buy the game without paying $130 for a guitar bundle or $250 for a band bundle. If I can't buy the game alone, I'm not interested.
Where did you hear this Matt?

Yeah, I thought I read yesterday there would be a lower cost game + adapter bundle for people who wanted to use the old instruments. I'll try to see if I can find that quote again.

EDIT - Haaa...nevermind. I read that in this thread.
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/346461-rock-band-4-ps4-x1-bundles-up-for-preorder-at-amazon-best-buy-and-gamestop/

fuck me, I'm tired, lol

This was posted by braves22 here (post #40)

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/346461-rock-band-4-ps4-x1-bundles-up-for-preorder-at-amazon-best-buy-and-gamestop/page-4

So much bad info here...

YES XB instruments will need an adapter to work for the XBO....from what has been written, it will be a 1 adapter works for all....so think like a USB hub type deal for all your instruments.

No word yet on ION or e-drum support OR if you have wireless mics from another game like I do

Also, this 150 DLC incompatibility is so overblown its not even funny.....its Beatles which has never worked in RB and then its the RB3 disc which hasn't been exported because DUH, there wasnt another game after RB3 so no export was necessary to now ---- IOW, theyre currently working on that being a possibility....and the other is if you have RB Network stuff because there is currently no support in the current gen consoles for such a thing....

So again, completely overblown....

Any other DLC you had will be available and move over, provided its tied to your account, you are going to the next gen of the same system, and you made sure to export the disc songs when you had the chance (RB1, RB2. Lego, Green Day, etc)

Also, there will be a digital download as well as a standalone disc copy for those of us like myself who already have legacy instruments and just don't feel like buying anything new.

Hope this all makes more sense and gets some more buyers

Very nice post, irratebass. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ION support, as that was a pretty hefty purchase itself. Really, they SHOULD be able to get it to work because you can swap out the drum brain for it. So, you'd think somebody making a compatible brain would be doable.

Even with the existing 360 brain, it shouldn't register as much different from a regular RB + cymbals kit. It still plugs in via USB and follows the same color format. I gotta believe it will work. Wireless mics are an interesting point though. I just realized we use the ones from Lips, haha.

Very nice post, irratebass. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ION support, as that was a pretty hefty purchase itself. Really, they SHOULD be able to get it to work because you can swap out the drum brain for it. So, you'd think somebody making a compatible brain would be doable.

Even with the existing 360 brain, it shouldn't register as much different from a regular RB + cymbals kit. It still plugs in via USB and follows the same color format. I gotta believe it will work. Wireless mice are an interesting point though. I just realized we use the ones from Lips, haha.

I really hope they get those wireless 360 Lips mics working on the XBO, it would really stink to have to go back to hardwired mics, especially in a party setting when you want to have 2 or 3 mics working with harmony/backing vocals.

What a bunch of bullshit. RB3 doesn't work, no keyboards + it comes out when big bills are due. I bet that dongle will be expensive as fuck to buy if you don't get it right away, mark my words. I don't want to buy an Xbone for this either.
but I probably will cave in and buy it anyway.

RBN stuff not being available fucking hurts. Some of my favorite stuff in the entire DLC catalog is from RBN. Hope they manage to get a deal done for RB3 stuff at least.

I've honestly kind of started to sour on this game a little bit. They haven't really done anything wrong, but I don't see their new features being must haves, the list of songs (so far) does nothing for me, and I appreciate the effort but the instrument compatibility stuff sounds like a pain.

Where are you guys getting the updated info about RB3 and the RBN stuff?  I swear I haven't heard anything about this game other than a song list update since E3. 

I broke out my drums a few weeks and played some songs.  It reminded me how much fun the game was.  I am still interested in getting the new game, but if I am stuck buying a brand new instrument bundle despite their claims that you can use your old instruments that would really put a damper on my excitement.

...I am not feeling this soundtrack at all. Easily my least favorite of the main series.

I think I may be out on this one, at least until it's cheap. That's a pretty fucking sad thing to say after how into the series I was and how much money I've thrown down on it, but there just isn't anything exciting me going on with this game right now.

If you haven't seen it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_4#Soundtrack

I'm really disappointed they don't include the keyboard in 4, but I can understand why. Online it wasn't very popular and I frequently go kicked from games. Unfortunely, it's too expensive for me right as I have property taxes due that month.

I'm not feeling the tracklist very much either, + I'd have to get an xbone to play it. I'll wait till it's cheap.

Is that the full track list or are there more songs to be announced?

So wait, you cannot buy a stand alone physical edition to use your old instruments, but you can buy a digital version from PSN that lets you use your old instruments and gets you 10 exclusive songs?

They've been releasing a few songs at a time. I'm anticipating more announcements.

Right now only bundles are available physically. My guess is they are trying to gauge how much hardware they need to produce. I'm still holding out for an Xbox One version with the dongle or whatever needed to use my old instruments.

Is there any reason why we would need RB1, 2, 3 and any of the others for our old platforms (I'm One and had a 360) to ensure we can get the songs from them into 4? I don't see why since if you ported them into 3 they should already be tied as DLC to your account but I'm just asking to make sure as I've been holding onto the physical copies forever in case by any chance we would need them one day like now possibly for transferring.

Is there any reason why we would need RB1, 2, 3 and any of the others for our old platforms (I'm One and had a 360) to ensure we can get the songs from them into 4? I don't see why since if you ported them into 3 they should already be tied as DLC to your account but I'm just asking to make sure as I've been holding onto the physical copies forever in case by any chance we would need them one day like now possibly for transferring.
RB1 songs were exported from the disc, not downloaded. That's going to be an issue for a lot of people (including me). Hoping/assuming they create a downloadable package or something for those tracks. We'll see.

Did they confirm RB3 imports? I didn't see anything about that (although I haven't looked too deeply). Also wondering about Blitz songs.

Oh yeah, that's right. So I should probably hold onto them still, at least until more info is out. I just read through various reports after hearing it here that a good chunk of old content should be able to be transferred into the game so not sure on the specifics.

Does anyone know how the dongles on the PS3 worked?  I'm assuming it will work the same way for the Xbone and am wondering If 1 dongle will allow all my instruments to play.  OR will I need a separate dongle for each instrument?

Just got an email that says they released Pre order info for stand alone disc versions of the game.  XB1 requires an adapter to use old instruments ($79.99 for bundle) while the PS4 version does not require the adapter.  I guess that is the reason there is no digital only option for XB1. 

New songs added to the setlist as well:

• .38 Special – “Caught Up In You”
  • Arctic Monkeys – “Arabella”
  • The Both – “Milwaukee”
  • Cake – “Short Skirt/Long Jacket”
  • Little Big Town – “Little White Church”
  • Lucius – “Turn It Around”
  • The Mighty Mighty Bosstones – “The Impression That I Get”
  • The Protomen – “Light Up The Night”
  • Soundgarden – “Superunknown”
  • Tijuana Sweetheart – “Pistol Whipped”

Of course I've spent lots of money on RB1-3 plus pro instruments, and now that I'm not in the next-gen club, they add my favorite band, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. OF FREAKIN COURSE

Yeah...I don't understand the adapter. It connects to your XB1 via USB cable...but yet only connects to wireless instruments itself... I guess wired USB mics work in the way that they always have. But no wired RB1 drums also means no IONs.

I don't want to say that's a deal breaker for me...but I can't go back to tiny drums that my 3 year old daughter wouldn't even be impressed by at this point (I realize that sounds snobby...but it's just one of those "once you try it, you can't go back" things...and basically everybody who has the IONs or another e-kit is saying the same).

I get that Harmonix is back to being a tiny indie studio again, and they probably don't have the same resources to invest in this as they used to. But it's really starting to feel half-hearted. Only certain instruments are supported. There's no online play. It just feels like they're scared to fully commit to the project, and are setting themselves up to fail. I think everybody was ready for a full-on Rock Band experience. And so far, this just doesn't feel like one. And that really sucks.

Anyway, for anyone who hasn't seen it, you can pre-order the "legacy bundle" now.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Fender-Stratocaster-Guitar-Controller-Software/dp/B00Z9HS9RA/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1440447856&sr=1-2&keywords=rock%20band%204

Well, to be fair, I've read some conflicting reports. But this is the article where I first read about it.

https://www.pixeldynamo.com/news/gaming/2015/06/15/68324/rock-band-4-wont-launching-online-multiplayer/

And here's a direct question that was posed to Harmonix. The answer is a bit cryptic. But we should all know by now what it means when developers are reluctant to shoot down a negative rumor.

Is it going to support online play at all? In case you can't get your mates over or you have some awful disease or something.

We're still working through those details, but that sort of asynchronous multiplayer set-up is very compelling, and we know that people do want it, but it's very expensive. We're weighing that feature up against some of the other stuff that we're doing. One of the interesting things about our strategy here is that, just because some feature isn't there at launch, doesn't mean it won't be later on. We're going to respond to people telling us what they want. When players wish they could do things that they can't, we're going to be a virtual phone call away.

I still want the wireless "lips" style microphones from the 360 to work on the Xbox One.  Going back to wired microphones would really suck. 

And it's mind boggling that they figured out backwards compatibility for wireless instruments, but can't sort it out for the wired drums.  Thankfully, I have a wireless kit, but I also have a spare/travel hardwired kit. 

Hopefully they add additional support as time goes on.

What about wired USB guitars-- I assume those will still work? But there's no $60 version of the game for Xbox One? D:
Nope. As the chart indicates, all Xbox 360 instruments with the exception of USB microphones will require the legacy adapter to work in Rock Band 4. The legacy adapter does not have a USB port on it. It only connects to wireless devices. So, if you're thinking like Guitar Hero II's Xplorer guitar...no, that one won't work.

It would have made sense for the Adapter to include USB ports, if for nothing else, to act as a USB hub.  The Xbox One only has 3 USB ports.  Most people (especially those with a lot of DLC) have an external HDD at this point.  That's one.  The adapter takes a second.  That only leaves one port for a microphone, and the game supports harmony vocals that require multiple microphones.  So we're going to need USB hubs again, even without hardwired drums or guitars.  That's annoying. 

No online multiplayer?  Wow, doesn't seem possible that a game like this wouldn't have that out of the box or at least a commitment from the devs to have it soon after launch.  I know it is a new console generation, but seems like an important feature that has been in the game for at least the last 2 games.  (I can't remember exactly, but did RB1 have any online MP?  I know you couldn't play the world tour mode with people online but wasn't sure if there was quick band play.  Or maybe it only had a H2H mode?)  Either way no online would be a potential deal breaker for those of us who don't have other friends or family members who come over to play the game. 

I was never big on RB multiplayer unless I was really bored but that sounds fucking retarded to not have it as a feature in a series like this. I thought they were trying to bring this franchise back? That's one way to hurt it as online play is a big deal for these type of games.

No online multiplayer? Wow, doesn't seem possible that a game like this wouldn't have that out of the box or at least a commitment from the devs to have it soon after launch.
Gotta be fucking kidding me.

Sorry Harmonix, but that's it. I'm out. Maybe I'll check back in and see if you've added it later. Good luck.

has there been any word at all on when standalone guitars will be available for sale?

I don't have old guitars to bring over....if i buy the band bundle, i only get 1 guitar.  I really don't want to buy 2 bundles and then re-sell the game from the 2nd bundle.  Sigh.

bread's done
Back