Rock Revolution $5 at GameStop

It's not that bad. There are worse covers in other music games. My biggest complaints are the vertical highway and the foot pedal being the center lane for drums.

Usually when games are bad, people say "but at least I got it for $5."

Compare this thread to other "shit games on huge clearance" threads and you'll get a good barometer for how bad it is.

The actual game structure isn't horrible, but the covers are ATROCIOUS and distracting.

Bought it for PS3 for $5 and it doesn't work with any of my Rock Band instruments. Immediately returning it tomorrow.

The thing that sucks about it isnt the covers. In fact, I kinda like covers because I'm tired of hearing master tracks in every game. Fact is, when you put crap like SK8ER BOI in your game then your game sucks.

Konami only put this out so they could claim MTV was infringing on their patents(activision pays konami royalties) and hurting their business. They didn't care about it.

[quote name='NutManIV']Don't buy it. I got it for $10 at Best Buy and regret it. It has songs like Sk8er Boi and shit from Good Charlotte.

Terrible, terrible game.[/QUOTE]

True (although I'd replace Avril with Fallout Boy myself), but it also has Iron Maiden. Gotta take the good with the bad.

I actually liked the gameplay, you know, the note charts and stuff, but the song selection was no good IMO.

seriously take it from someone who had this game (christmas gift unfortunately) be ready to have plenty of tylenol cause this game reallt does cause some serious headaches, and eyestrain...

[quote name='JStryke']True (although I'd replace Avril with Fallout Boy myself), but it also has Iron Maiden. Gotta take the good with the bad.[/QUOTE]
Yeah and with $5 you can invest that in buying the Iron Maiden pack off Rock Band. Problem solved.

[quote name='VaultDweller13']I think the joke that they'd have to pay you to play/own this game has been played out already.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='arthritisarty']So true.
I absolutely agree. It's getting so old!

It's like everyone has to get their own say.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Third. I was going to come in this thread and say "in before a 'ill wait until its 10 dollars cheaper'" comment but it looks like I was beaten to the punch by about 4 different people.[/QUOTE]

Forth. It was slightly funny the first 500 times I saw it said on this board. Honestly, for $5, if you like these music games, how can you go wrong? Either, there is something slightly redeeming about it, or it's so fucking awful, you can laugh at it with your friends. Either way, I have seen people get hard-ons in clearance threads about games that have gotten pretty piss poor reviews, and the prices are usually more than $5.

Picked it up today. $4.24 after Edge + tax. Totally worth it. It's not as good as RB or GH, but it's a still fun once you get used to the vertical scrolling. Plus the covers aren't that bad (Mostly. Some, like Cum On Feel The Noise, are great. Others are... well, Chop Suey) and the graphics are actually quite good. So it's definately worth $5. Or get it used, so you can return it if you don't like it.

[quote name='NutManIV']Fact is, when you put crap like SK8ER BOI in your game then your game sucks.[/QUOTE]You know what else had SK8ER BOI? Elite Beat Agents. And EBA was fucking awesome. Get over it.

I laughed out loud at Best Buy today when I showed my brother this game for $5. Konami is funny, they tried to make this to compete with GH and RB, tried suing Activision because they weren't smart enough to license songs to appeal to American gamers, then turn around and team up with them to make the Guitar Hero Arcade game.

I went to GS today to look for a particular Gamecube game, so I figured I'd get this. I saw it on the shelf and I flaked so bad. I just couldn't urge myself to get it. :lol

I might buy it just for the hell of it. I love these games and I might get it just for the achievement points and for collections sake.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Sneak King was the shit!![/QUOTE]
all the BK games were worth it, and i got the set at $5, the drum sticks are worth it

I picked it up today and played it a bit. Anybody who says this game is absolute garbage simply hasn't played it, period.

Now don't get me wrong, yes the game sucks, but as a guitar game it is very competent. The note charts are decent, the game functions just fine, and some of the covers of the crappier songs actually make them sound better. The graphics are decent, it has a nice freestyle mode and recorder (which alone makes it worth the 5 bucks to me) and it offers a decent challenge.

However, some of the challenges are flat out bullshit. The poison note challenges are stupid as hell; they pretty much make you play a song while putting notes you CAN'T play on the highway and if you hit 5 of them within one song, you're done. When I play these games, I want to hit every color I see so my brain is trained to hit those colors! It is so frustrating because you basically have to memorize the song in order to get through it so you know which colors not to hit. STUPID!

The drums suck in this game too. I'm using the GHWT set and it functions fine, but the kick pedal being in the middle of the highway without that bar like GH/RB has makes it completely awful to play. I guess if you re-learn how to play drums through this game then you might be okay but I HATE that orange kick note in the center of the screen like that.

Overall the game is certainly worth 5 bones and isn't awful, but it certainly isn't good.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I picked it up today and played it a bit. Anybody who says this game is absolute garbage simply hasn't played it, period.

Now don't get me wrong, yes the game sucks, but as a guitar game it is very competent. The note charts are decent, the game functions just fine, and some of the covers of the crappier songs actually make them sound better. The graphics are decent, it has a nice freestyle mode and recorder (which alone makes it worth the 5 bucks to me) and it offers a decent challenge.

However, some of the challenges are flat out bullshit. The poison note challenges are stupid as hell; they pretty much make you play a song while putting notes you CAN'T play on the highway and if you hit 5 of them within one song, you're done. When I play these games, I want to hit every color I see so my brain is trained to hit those colors! It is so frustrating because you basically have to memorize the song in order to get through it so you know which colors not to hit. STUPID!

The drums suck in this game too. I'm using the GHWT set and it functions fine, but the kick pedal being in the middle of the highway without that bar like GH/RB has makes it completely awful to play. I guess if you re-learn how to play drums through this game then you might be okay but I HATE that orange kick note in the center of the screen like that.

Overall the game is certainly worth 5 bones and isn't awful, but it certainly isn't good.[/QUOTE]

Yes you've convinced me this game isn't awful

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I picked it up today and played it a bit. Anybody who says this game is absolute garbage simply hasn't played it, period.[/QUOTE]

I've played it, and I'll call it complete garbage.

I've got a friend who buys EVERY music game, regardless of quality. This is the only title he's ever traded in - we were never going to play it again and, even at $10 from Target, he felt like he'd been ripped off.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I picked it up today and played it a bit. Anybody who says this game is absolute garbage simply hasn't played it, period.[/QUOTE]

Well I'll agree with you. I just picked it up today and from what I've played it's not completely terrible like people say. No one is saying that this game is as good as Guitar Hero or Rock Band or that it doesn't have many annoying aspects, but for $5 it's decent.

I don't understand why everybody is rippin on this game....its the greatest game to grace our greenish brown earth since ET on Atari.

[quote name='loc0bob']I don't understand why everybody is rippin on this game....its the greatest game to grace our greenish brown earth since ET on Atari.[/QUOTE]

Oh that's really clever of you isn't it?
That surely was hilarious of you!

Great Job!

I might pick it up. $5 is hard to pass for any game, like some said earlier, but I like the music games a lot, so even it's not good, it can't be THAT bad...

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost bit, yesterday, but I was worried it was awful because we still haven't sold any at work yet... and now I see that it's horrible so I'm glad I didn't waste the 5.

Though it's almost certainly going to be a terrible mistake, I'm going to pick this up before I head up to NY. At least I'll get a good laugh out of it... hopefully.

i picked it up. i only own guitars and as a guitar game this game isn't too shabby. definitely worth $5 for the guitar career alone. it's a nice break from guitar hero, really. i like the graphics better than guitar hero as well.

[quote name='Shadowguitar']Though it's almost certainly going to be a terrible mistake, I'm going to pick this up before I head up to NY. At least I'll get a good laugh out of it... hopefully.[/QUOTE]

The game does have a few redeeming values - it has Finger Eleven's "Paralyzer" (which neither Guitar Hero or Rock Band have, so far), and the cover is actually pretty good.

One song, however, doesn't justify the rest of the game. Three engineering students weren't able to figure out how the World Tour drums mapped to the Rock Revolution screen, and their version of star power/overdrive is still a complete mystery to me - it took forever to get, lasted for about a second when activated, and had no discernible effect on our score, meter placement, or anything else.

If you have Rock Band or Guitar Hero, you really don't have a reason to own the game unless you're curious enough to drop the $5 and inflict the game on yourself, especially since most of the soundtrack is either on disc or available as DLC for one or both of the more popular franchises.

I picked it up, and it's not bad. It's definitely a lot harder than RB or GH - I actually failed one of the first songs on Medium due to a fast alternating section. The game is rather generic, without much in the way of style, although the challenges are a nice addition. You not only have to play the songs normally, but there are specific challenges like playing a song that increases in difficulty as you get further along, or avoiding certain black notes. These are optional though, as you can progress through the career without completing them.

bread's done
Back