RockBand 1 & 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 3/15/09 - Funk Pack + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought something similar that madcatz makes. They were $10 at Circuit City. They are plastic with rubber tips and even a little rubber grip section where you hold them in your hands. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try them out.

[quote name='modium']Yes, that phrase seems impossible to me. I don't sing often, so I haven't really tried it since the song was released, but I'm pretty sure it'd be a case of them charting a harmony instead of the main vocal part. For a good example, try singing Pinball Wizard, especially the "sure plays a mean pinball" part and you'll know what I mean.

Check out this video to see the pitch you're supposed to hit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp5pIfLNHec The hard part after that is just to commit it to memory and remember to jump to it each time, instead of singing it the way your mind wants you to.[/QUOTE]

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the post. The only problem now is I don't sing like a 12 yr old boy in the video.

I'll give it another shot and see if I have more luck.

[quote name='Corvin']I bought something similar that madcatz makes. They were $10 at Circuit City. They are plastic with rubber tips and even a little rubber grip section where you hold them in your hands. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try them out.[/QUOTE]

I think you would find the Zildjian ones to be around 1000% better, these are pro quality sticks, I highly recommend them as well fwiw.

[quote name='porieux']I think you would find the Zildjian ones to be around 1000% better, these are pro quality sticks, I highly recommend them as well fwiw.[/QUOTE]

I'm a medium drummer that only plays drums once every couple of weeks. I just wanted something that dampened the sound a bit.

So I decided to play some Guitar today, and got into a game with one of my friends. It's sorta fun when you don't suck up the place. Although I have only played the guitar for 30 minutes (20 minutes before we played together).

[quote name='rapsodist']Noooooo. All the Roy Orbison tracks are re-recordings from his 1985 Greatest Hits album. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Wow, and they don't indicate this upfront? Seems you could probably get a refund based on bad information.

But, how are they?

[quote name='porieux']Wow, and they don't indicate this upfront? Seems you could probably get a refund based on bad information.

But, how are they?[/quote]

They do indicate it upfront since each song informs you which album it's from, plus you can tell they're re-recordings just by previewing the songs. I haven't bought them because of that. In a way it's nice that it's still Orbison and not a Harmonix cover artist, but it's not the same as having the originals.

EDIT: I should probably add that "You Got It" is an original since that was a late-career song that came after the Greatest Hits album.

[quote name='porieux']^^ You don't get any of that info in the Marketplace though, afaik.[/quote]

If you're asking whether it explicitly tells you that the song is a re-recording, then no, there's no information given on that. But the songs are listed as the versions from the Greatest Hits album; a simple online search will yield the information on the re-recordings. A quick listen to the Marketplace previews makes it pretty obvious, too.

Well I just played thru the whole Orbison pack on vox and I think it's great.
IMO the rerecordings sound a lot better than the originals would have.

Also bought and played the Killers pack and...meh, kind of regret getting those.

The Marketplace doesn't give you much info though, it's the Rock Band Music Store where you get that info, previews etc.

Is there any CAG lending circle for RB1? I have RB2 and would love to borrow RB1 so that I can import the RB1 songs into RB2. If anyone has Oblivion and needs the expansion, I can lend it out since I have the GoTY edition.

[quote name='porieux']Well I just played thru the whole Orbison pack on vox and I think it's great.

Also bought and played the Killers pack and...meh, kind of regret getting those.

The Marketplace doesn't give you much info though, it's the Rock Band Music Store where you get that info, previews etc.[/quote]

Well, Mr. Brightside is a great song. keep doing spaceman, it'll grow on you. I freakin love that song! The third one though is definitely meh.

Spaceman though...damn I love that. I'm gonna go play it now!

[quote name='porieux']Well I just played thru the whole Orbison pack on vox and I think it's great.

The Marketplace doesn't give you much info though, it's the Rock Band Music Store where you get that info, previews etc.[/quote]

I just can't get adjusted to the re-recordings after being so familiar with the originals all my life.

And I was actually talking about the in-game store this whole time. Sorry about the confusion. I forget about the general XBL Marketplace 'cause it's nigh impossible to navigate for RB.

[quote name='BigBen']Is there any CAG lending circle for RB1? I have RB2 and would love to borrow RB1 so that I can import the RB1 songs into RB2. If anyone has Oblivion and needs the expansion, I can lend it out since I have the GoTY edition.[/quote]

If you really can't find anyone to lend the game to you, you can buy a used copy of RB1 from GameStop, import the songs, then return the game for a full refund within the 7-day window.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Well, Mr. Brightside is a great song. keep doing spaceman, it'll grow on you. I freakin love that song! The third one though is definitely meh.

Spaceman though...damn I love that. I'm gonna go play it now![/quote]I haven't played it on Rock Band, but Smile Like You Mean It is the one that I'm looking forward to the most. I would also like it if they put up Human and a few other songs off of their Hot Fuss album, but I doubt they will release any more of The Killers for awhile.

My dad picked up the Hit Kit for me from Best Buy when it was on sale for $10 that includes drum pad silencers, composite drumsticks, and a kick pedal to replace my broken one. The silencers were great until they bubbled up and had dents in them from normal use so that they fly off while playing them. The drumsticks are much heavier and don't have nearly as good of a feeling as the normal wooden sticks. The kick pedal seems to be working great. I play on hard/expert, and I didn't notice any misses because of it. For $10, I'm glad I got it, but I was disappointed that the drum silencers flaked out after just a couple days of use.

[quote name='GamerChris']thats really weird. Try a different USB port perhaps?[/QUOTE]

It wasn't that, I tried that before. I even used it on my PC to see if it was just on the 360, but it just wasn't registering anything coming from me at least.

I ended up calling them today and they are sending me a replacement mic free. He said they would send an e-mail about the 60 day warranty but to disregard it, he was going to put it through since it is just a mic he said. Just need to wait 3-5 days and will have my replacement.

Very helpful, I mean I'm in my 60 day warranty either way, just I have no idea where that receipt is. Glad it was fixed without any problems.

[quote name='rapsodist']Noooooo. All the Roy Orbison tracks are re-recordings from his 1985 Greatest Hits album. :cry:[/quote]
:urge to kill.... rising:

So...is there like a list of the best values for downloadable Rock Band songs? I haven't even gotten 1/10th of the way through the original songs on RB2 (with the 4 free songs from RB1 and 20 free downloadable songs for the code), but I'm trying to look a little bit ahead here.

Also...
I don't know a lot of music. Okay, pretty much every song in Rock Band 2, besides the first, I don't know.

[quote name='KingBroly']So...is there like a list of the best values for downloadable Rock Band songs? I haven't even gotten 1/10th of the way through the original songs on RB2 (with the 4 free songs from RB1 and 20 free downloadable songs for the code), but I'm trying to look a little bit ahead here.

Also...
I don't know a lot of music. Okay, pretty much every song in Rock Band 2, besides the first, I don't know.
[/quote]

besides most of the classic rock, I'm out of the loop on some of the music as well. once it goes past the 90's I don't know what the hell I'm listening to.

Then again I've only downloaded the Devo songs, a few offspring, and Rio. I'll be downloading alot once I get my paycheck.

I wish there were more Talking Heads songs though.

Rock Band 2 seemed like it only came out just so they had something to physically compete with GH:WT. It would've been near-suicide to have *not* released a sequel... or at least that was the thinking before GH:WT came out.

So, yeah, I'm fairly okay with the idea of not having a true RB3 coming out this year, especially since downloads are the *real* future of the genre. However, I can certainly say that if GH gets ANY kind of real momentum again, RB3 may mysteriously crop up.

I'm actually a bit disappointed at the no RB3 news. I'd happily do with another 100 songs for $60, but I'd really like the scoring system worked out. I want the game to keep track of my score on each instrument, and bring back the career mode so that I can work on mastering songs. RB2 really mucked up single player (by dumping it into multiplayer, basically).

A more radical solution would be to keep track of the performance of your avatar on a given instrument, whether or not you were playing with other people at the time. Overdrive would muck up scores, but they could use something more empirical, like percent hit.

[quote name='007']
So, yeah, I'm fairly okay with the idea of not having a true RB3 coming out this year, especially since downloads are the *real* future of the genre. However, I can certainly say that if GH gets ANY kind of real momentum again, RB3 may mysteriously crop up.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think there is any list of features GH can come up with for GH4 that can compete with MTV's ability to throw out DLC every Tuesday for Rock Band.

No Rock Band 3 is the best thing ever for the genre. It's really, really saturated at this point. I, for one blame Activision (Well, I guess Harmonix is to blame too with its' craptastic delay of RB1 for Wii). People are really tired of these plastic instrument bundles every 6 months. By only working on the Beatles game for this year, and presumably RB3 next year, people will say 'hey, I want to play the drums again' and get another drum set to go along with RB3.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I really don't think there is any list of features GH can come up with for GH4 that can compete with MTV's ability to throw out DLC every Tuesday for Rock Band.[/QUOTE]Very well said. DLC has definitely sealed Rock Band as the platform of choice in the Busta household. I like fretless bass notes, but I still have no motivation to throw on GH:WT when I've got people over.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Really hope Appetite for Destruction...

Zep is nice and so is Beatles, but some goddamn old GNR would kill anything Guitar Hero can ever hope to accomplish.[/quote]

Amen to that. Appetite for Destruction is probably my favorite album ever. So many good songs on one CD.

I hope they do that after the Beatles. I doubt it would happen though because Guitar Hero seems like they already have GNR... (with Slash and other songs in their previous games).

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Amen to that. Appetite for Destruction is probably my favorite album ever. So many good songs on one CD.

I hope they do that after the Beatles. I doubt it would happen though because Guitar Hero seems like they already have GNR... (with Slash and other songs in their previous games).[/quote]
Well (good news?) is that Axl Rose owns the GNR name and all the library of songs. He also is a supporter of Rock Band/Harmonix and went on a small tiraid about how Guitar Hero went behind his back in getting Welcome to the Jungle and he won't work with them.

I wish they would bring back the scoring system from GH2, where it told you what percentage of each section you hit. And what happened to leaderboards, where you could find out how you compared to the previous high score? Sure, it could be a pain to make it work across all the instruments/avatars, but I wish they would at least try.

[quote name='CokeCola']I'm actually a bit disappointed at the no RB3 news. I'd happily do with another 100 songs for $60, but I'd really like the scoring system worked out. I want the game to keep track of my score on each instrument, and bring back the career mode so that I can work on mastering songs. RB2 really mucked up single player (by dumping it into multiplayer, basically).[/quote]

Amen! They killed the single player game.. The single player tour is an okay addition, but someone important didn't understand how the first one was being played (single player)

Alternatively, they can go ahead and let us export the RB2 songs so we can play them in RB1, and get back to improving/gold starring/etc.

[quote name='CokeCola']
A more radical solution would be to keep track of the performance of your avatar on a given instrument, whether or not you were playing with other people at the time. Overdrive would muck up scores, but they could use something more empirical, like percent hit.[/quote]

Stuff like that would be a nice improvement. Rather than removing all stats, like they seem to have moved towards, have some stuff that people can drill down into.

[quote name='KingBroly']No Rock Band 3 is the best thing ever for the genre. It's really, really saturated at this point.[/QUOTE]
Is this a joke? 2 or 3 GH games came out in 2008, and 1 RB game came out. Then there was Rock Revolution, if you count that. Do I need to list how many racing or shooter games came out in the same time period?

[quote name='pete5883']Is this a joke? 2 or 3 GH games came out in 2008, and 1 RB game came out. Then there was Rock Revolution, if you count that. Do I need to list how many racing or shooter games came out in the same time period?[/QUOTE]Feels more like "oversaturation" when each game offers its own hardware bundle. Optional or not, it kinda creates a perception of "aw, not ANOTHER one!"

[quote name='BustaUppa']Feels more like "oversaturation" when each game offers its own hardware bundle. Optional or not, it kinda creates a perception of "aw, not ANOTHER one!"[/quote]

yeah I second this. every bundle released always seemed more like add-on rugburn.

I feel that for future installments of RB they need to scrap the special editions and just offer up a package that includes all the instruments with no game. Then people can pick up what version of the game they want to compliment their bundle.

They also need to slowly role out instrument upgrades and sequels, this shit where they throw it at us all at once certainly can be a lot. Instruments should release stand alone at first and then be incorporated into the instrument bundles within a few months.

Heads up, looks like Amazon editors might play Rock Band. Today, 3 of the 6 Mp3 albums that are on sale (Deal of the Day and Friday 5) have songs that are in RB.

Bon Jovi's Cross Road featuring Wanted Dead or Alive and Livin' on a Prayer - $1.99

The Who's Who's Next featuring Baba O'Riley, Going Mobile, Behind Blue Eyes and Won't Get Fooled Again - $5.00

Paramore's Riot! featuring That's What You Get and crushcrushcrush (Bonus! - Misery Business, which is in Saint's Row 2) - $5.00

Well count me in the group that is glad there will be no RB3 in 2009. I played the crap out of the first two games and even bought a bunch of DLC, but at this point I am just not playing it at all. I love the games, but I just feel that at this point there are too many games, too many bundles, too many instruments, and maybe this doesn't make sense to some but too much DLC. I really think the genre needs to slow down before it reaches a point of oversaturation. Maybe that is part of the reason for no RB3 in 09. Just sit back and look at it but you have 2-3 GH games, 1 RB game, a couple knock off games, 2-3 RB track packs, and DLC every week for both games it just becomes too much.

The only thing that is getting me back to playing this is when Ten is released in a couple months and even then I'll probably go through the album 3 or 4 times on the different instruments and in bands and go back away from it.

Oh well, just my 2 cents...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']

The only thing that is getting me back to playing this is when Alive is released in a couple months and even then I'll probably go through the album 3 or 4 times on the different instruments and in bands and go back away from it.
[/quote]

Errr you mean "Ten"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back