RockBand 1 & 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 3/15/09 - Funk Pack + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='jkanownik']I was wondering about that. That song popped up in my car this morning and I was wondering what the heck they were going to do with it. It doesn't bad words but it is definitely not T for Teen. Did they leave single word blanks or multiple words (what did they do with "I could feel her getting wet through her uniform")?[/quote]
Alot of it was basically whole parts left out. So kinda want to say you get 2/3 a song.

[quote name='io']Yeah, please tell - since I can actually DO medium that would be nice to know ;).

I tried a song on hard for the first time (guitar) and failed miserably. I can't use that fifth button at all - I've just been playing too long using 4 fingers on the 4 buttons so going to a style requiring me to move my fingers around would require re-learning how to play all over again...

I downloaded Under the Bridge since this is one of the songs on my mid-90's mix CD (that I made back before mp3's when it was pretty difficult to burn CDs - had to use the $2000 recorder in my company's office). I listened to it all the time in the car during long road trips back then - so some serious nostalgia there. Now if they'd just get some U2, Lithium from Nirvana, and a few others, I could come close to recreating the entire CD.

I realized that I don't even know most of the rest of those RHCP songs - so no album purchase for me this time...

Oh - and in terms of download speed I got the one song (36 MB or so) in what must have been record time - it only took a few seconds (10-15 at the most). I was quite surprised after seeing all the complaints about download speed here today.[/QUOTE]
well I might have left out a key part to me getting the achievement I had someone else with me. I played guitar he played bass.

Once we both got up to a full bar I waited about 5 seconds and deployed, after mine went out, he started his and we traded off i think we traded off twice but could have gone longer if I didn't mess it up. It doesn't tell you until after the song if you got it. I got it on the first try.

check youtube for other people doing it, if you have the song "the kill" it is apparently even easier but I have yet to see anyone do it by themselves.

I love AC/DC, but I'm not happy with 40 bucks and potentially not happy with live. I don't necessarily mind the disc-only, since you can import it into RB2 (of course, everyone else and their brother will be doing the rip-and-sell thing, so resale value will probably drop like a rocket). If it was packed in with the new CD, or even the Live at Donnington CD or DVD, that would make it go over a little better.
They'd better add schoolboy shorts and little cap things to the Rock Shop.

Thanks for answering that question, I had hoped the BT achievement could be had when playing in a band and taking turns activating overdrive, but it's nice to have it confirmed. I'll need to try that tonight.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']So what sites do you guys go to for videos of the DLC?[/QUOTE]

If you're like me and mainly care about guitar on expert:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Npeaen

Npeaen all the way man. He usually has the DLC up on youtube within a few hours, and almost always same day, as the release. He's not concerned with Full Combos or other shit, but he's decent enough to play most songs on expert (I think he's had to show practice mode for 1, maybe 2 songs).

If you're not interested in expert guitar, there may be better options though. Youtube's generally good for DLC vids in general though, so mebbe give it a good search.

Um guys I dont want to burst your bubble but Harmonix is really screwing us.....

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/09/30/rock-bands-ac-dc-package-comes-complete-with-fine-print/

"Where things get hairy is that transferring the package can only be activated "once per disc," to prevent players from buying one copy and sharing the music with other machines.

The information was parsed from Paul DeGooyer, senior VP of electronic games and music at MTV who also stated the AC/DC tracks were only exclusive to Rock Band for "a term."

That's some hardcore fucking right there. Wow, screw that noise. Wait for a download pack on Live, if it doesn't show up, well I wont get the songs.

[quote name='slickkill77']Um guys I dont want to burst your bubble but Harmonix is really screwing us.....

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/09/30/rock-bands-ac-dc-package-comes-complete-with-fine-print/

"Where things get hairy is that transferring the package can only be activated "once per disc," to prevent players from buying one copy and sharing the music with other machines.

The information was parsed from Paul DeGooyer, senior VP of electronic games and music at MTV who also stated the AC/DC tracks were only exclusive to Rock Band for "a term."
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how anyone could take that as harmonix screwing people.

The $40 pricetag maybe, but stopping people from taking advantage is perfectly logical and intelligent.

[quote name='slickkill77']Um guys I dont want to burst your bubble but Harmonix is really screwing us.....

[/quote]

I fail to see how this is 'screwing' us. So, just because we can't buy one disc and lend it to 15 other people so they don't have to pay for it is US getting screwed? It's a harsh term to use... it's just good business. Period.

In terms of RRoD issues... if they're on the HDD, why would it matter? You might get screwed into only being able to play them on while connected to Live, but you wouldn't 'lose' them or anything.

[quote name='buttasuperb']I'm not sure how anyone could take that as harmonix screwing people.

The $40 pricetag maybe, but stopping people from taking advantage is perfectly logical and intelligent.[/quote]

QFT

The whole package is garbage though, and as much as I'd like to play some thunder struck, this is so far a no go for me.

[quote name='007']I fail to see how this is 'screwing' us. So, just because we can't buy one disc and lend it to 15 other people so they don't have to pay for it is US getting screwed? It's a harsh term to use... it's just good business. Period.

In terms of RRoD issues... if they're on the HDD, why would it matter? You might get screwed into only being able to play them on while connected to Live, but you wouldn't 'lose' them or anything.[/quote]

The songs will remain in your DL history, and here's what you do....

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/default.htm

Go to that site and follow directions.

I have no idea how MS let this fly under the radar considering how widespread this issue has been.

[/QUOTE]

? I wonder if rental places might get this (mom and pop at least?)? How would that work then. Only the first renter gets to play it? Or is it maybe only the first renter can rip it to the hdd? If so, I'm getting on the list at the local place asap...

[quote name='Zmonkay']? I wonder if rental places might get this (mom and pop at least?)? How would that work then. Only the first renter gets to play it? Or is it maybe only the first renter can rip it to the hdd? If so, I'm getting on the list at the local place asap...[/quote]

It's a Wal-Mart exclusive. You won't be able to rent it anywhere.

I assume the disc itself can be played by any number of users...like most other games that could be traded in. Only the first person to use the code (probably a BBV employee who worked there on release day) gets to rip to the hard drive so it can be played in RB.
I've read AC/DC doesn't like digital downloads, and singles (preferring the album experience), so it's up in the air as to whether this would ever be you-pick-em DLC tracks like RHCP.

Well the fact that its $40 for 18 songs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and it can only be used 1 time. Yea its good for them but are you guys actually going to buy this? I cant believe anyone would actually consider buying this

I played Nightmare Marathon 2 on expert guitar today, and thanks to you guys I was really afraid of Visions. I beat it on my first try, thanks to some very lucky overdrive moments.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I figured that was the case. HMX isn't stupid.

And it just sucks for anyone trying to buy used since most likely the code will be invalid by then.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So... for a bulk package they can't even bother making the songs 2.00 a piece? You know, like 20 songs for 39.99?
Harmonix are a bunch of cocks.[/quote]
I'm betting this has more to do with AC/DC than Harmonix. It still sucks horribly though.

Ah thank you. I'm too lazy and forgetful to have remembered to keep checking the bonus tracks url for updates :)

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So... for a bulk package they can't even bother making the songs 2.00 a piece? You know, like 20 songs for 39.99?
Harmonix are a bunch of cocks.[/QUOTE]
Harmonix is not the publisher. MTV (or more likely, Walmart) sets the price.

Personally, as far as price goes, it's definitely a tad high. HOWEVER, RB2 is the only game I've paid full price for this year. That being the case, I have no qualms about buying the AC/DC expansion. I've saved so much on every other game I've bought that I'm willing to let this one slide. You gotta pick your battles people.

[quote name='007']I still have faith that Harmonix only did this because it was the ONLY way we'd get more AC/DC, outside of RB3. I may be insane, but I remember reading that part of the issue was that AC/DC doesn't like DLC... which may be why we're getting a disc-based thing.

After all the good decisions Harmonix has made, I can't imagine they actually thought this was a good idea, especially since it makes them appear to be like, gasp, Guitar Hero.[/QUOTE]Well Wal-Mart's exclusivity deal with AC/DC extends to other products beyond this game, so I think it's safe to say that you are correct. That kotaku article was saying that Wal-Marts are gonna have these special "AC/DC areas" with a bunch of exclusive products. The Rock Band tie-in is just a small piece in this huge AC/DC marketing move, so placing blame on Harmonix is not quite fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, if you guys haven't noticed before but Wal-Mart has been totally pimping out AC/DC. I mean, as soon as you walk into my local Wally World, there is a huge section with nothing but AC/DC stuff. I mean CDs, DVDs, Clothing and other random AC/DC Merch.

Ok, just signed up for those free bonus songs. Here's what is says at the end of it:
Sit tight. The Bonus Tracks will be available in a few weeks - we'll send you an email with a download code and redemption instructions as soon as they're ready.
Dang. Weeks?

GodlyOne, someone posted that in the previous page.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']

GodlyOne, someone posted that in the previous page.[/quote]

Whoops, didn't know :whistle2:#

The more I read about this AC/DC thing the less impressed I am. No character creator, no online play unless you export, one time use only on the code, and apparently no "AC/DC theme" - ie you won't be playing as the band like in GH:Aerosmith. Forget it. Hopefully it bombs so they put their efforts into the standalone games, I'm tired of seeing the main titles getting lesser songs from popular artists just because they are saving the good stuff for their next 40-60 dollar release (see "Let There Be Rock" in RB2 and "Trapped Under Ice" in GH:WT).

[quote name='BustaUppa']Well Wal-Mart's exclusivity deal with AC/DC extends to other products beyond this game, so I think it's safe to say that you are correct. That kotaku article was saying that Wal-Marts are gonna have these special "AC/DC areas" with a bunch of exclusive products. The Rock Band tie-in is just a small piece in this huge AC/DC marketing move, so placing blame on Harmonix is not quite fair.[/quote]

I'm going to need to see proof.

It was not announced that it was exclusive, and until there is some kind of statement it's a moot point.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I'm going to need to see proof.

It was not announced that it was exclusive, and until there is some kind of statement it's a moot point.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it has been announced as exclusive. From the Rock Band Announcements Forum (http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86939) :

[quote name='HMXHenry']Q: Is the AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will be available exclusively at Walmart Stores and Sam’s Club in the U.S? When is it being released?
A: Yes, the AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will be available exclusively at Walmart Stores and Sam’s Club in the U.S. on November 2nd on XBox 360, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2 and on November 16th for Wii.[/QUOTE]

I dont want 20 AC/DC songs. If I cant pick and choose the ones I want (Back in black, thunderstruck) this is a pass for me. Can anyone even name 20 AC/DC songs?

[quote name='GenghisJohn'] Can anyone even name 20 AC/DC songs?[/QUOTE]

Are you being serious? They've been around for three decades and have more than a few dozen hit songs. Back in Black, High Voltage, Dirty Deeds, & Highway to Hell have two dozen hits alone and that's only 4 of their 18 albums.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Dang. The Ions are phenomenal.
The only problem I've had so far is that the pedal keeps moving forward, because I have tile floors. :/[/quote]
How's the foot pedal and the drum pads themselves?

The pads are awesome. They're just a bit bigger, and the rebound is about 5-10 times better than the Rock Band 1 kit, and that helps a lot with rolls and getting into complex rhythms. Every hit registers, and you can put them wherever is most comfortable to you.
The cymbals are a bit more difficult. I do get a few misses here and there, but nothing major. I just now, after about an hour, think I put the cymbals on right, and they're fun as hell.
The pedal is actually really good, in my opinion. I mean, I'm used to some really bad pedals, so this one is pretty heavenly for me. It's not as loud as people say it is, unless you really pound on it (as in lift your foot off your pedal every note, and then just slam your foot down when there's note to hit, and lift again). It responds really well, and I'm sure it's great on carpet floors (comes with velcro). There were times where I was barely lifting my foot at all, and it would register hits when necessary.
I'm really happy with this kit.

For anyone that did the normal option when returning their drums, how long did it take for you to receive your new ones, starting from when EA received your defective/broken drums?

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']The pads are awesome. They're just a bit bigger, and the rebound is about 5-10 times better than the Rock Band 1 kit, and that helps a lot with rolls and getting into complex rhythms. Every hit registers, and you can put them wherever is most comfortable to you.
The cymbals are a bit more difficult. I do get a few misses here and there, but nothing major. I just now, after about an hour, think I put the cymbals on right, and they're fun as hell.
The pedal is actually really good, in my opinion. I mean, I'm used to some really bad pedals, so this one is pretty heavenly for me. It's not as loud as people say it is, unless you really pound on it (as in lift your foot off your pedal every note, and then just slam your foot down when there's note to hit, and lift again). It responds really well, and I'm sure it's great on carpet floors (comes with velcro). There were times where I was barely lifting my foot at all, and it would register hits when necessary.
I'm really happy with this kit.[/quote]
Ugh, Dammit. Now I want to spend $300. :bomb:

[quote name='munch']Is it true that the free songs for registering are covers?[/QUOTE]

Highly unlikely (IMO) because every song on RB2 is the master track so I doubt they would have covers for the free songs. Those songs were suppose to be in the game but they didn't have time to put them on the disk.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Dang. The Ions are phenomenal.
The only problem I've had so far is that the pedal keeps moving forward, because I have tile floors. :/[/quote]
Very glad to hear! I've decided to dump my excess Gamestop credit and get :360: Ions for myself and :ps3: Ions for my brother.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Very glad to hear! I've decided to dump my excess Gamestop credit and get :360: Ions for myself and :ps3: Ions for my brother.[/quote]

Lol just how much GS credit do you have?

[quote name='Jagged Toaster']I wonder what the TIVs will be like for the AC/DC pack. I'll just export and trade it in, like with Rock Band. Hmm.[/QUOTE]

If it's true about the code, I doubt they'd even take it as a trade-in.

Your best bet, and I don't endorse it at all, and you're an asshole if you do it, is to resell it on eBay the minute you rip the songs and hope someone sucker-purchases it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back