Rogue Galaxy confimred for US release with improvements

I guess I'm the only one who thinks the battle system is repetitive so far. I'm only an hour and a half into the game, but so far it seems to me that mashing the X button and guarding when your bar is depleted is the way to go. True, there are abilities and all that may add a bit more variety, but so far I'm dissapointed with the combat. Considering it says "100 Hours of Gameplay!" on the back of the case, I'm a bit scared my $40 may go onto the CAG trading forum.

Everything else is great though. I love the graphics, characters, and music so far.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']It's funny, the last great Square-Enix game (besides Grandia 3, which rocked) was Dragon Quest VIII. Level 5 developed it, but Squeenix got all the credit for it.

I'm starting to wonder what True Fantasy Live could have been like....:drool:[/QUOTE]

Wait, you were one of the big DQVIII haters back in that thread - now, all of a sudden, it is the last great Square-Enix game?

Anyway, looks like I should play my copy of Rogue Galaxy sooner rather than later. Sounds good... Maybe I will hold off on getting that 360 a bit longer so I can finish up some PS2 games ;).

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']It's an absolute crock that this game is being so ignored by the masses. Shoot, even RPG fans are picking that ridiculous Ar Tonelico over Rogue Galaxy. I guess Rogue Galaxy isn't quirky or Japanese enough....[/quote]
I really like Rogue Galaxy, don't get me wrong, but Ar Tonelico wipes the floor with it. Except for in the area of sidequests. In that regard Rogue Galaxy is superior since there is a ton of stuff to do. Other than that, going to have to go with Ar Tonelico.

Rosencaster Prison was frustrating the hell out of me. Those hopping tarantulas were quite cheap since the rest of your team doesn't understand the concept of blocking unless you tell them all to back off. I can see the horrible AI may get real old, real fast.

I just re-added this game to my want list. I haven't played DQ VIII, yet, though. I'll eventually get this as a budget title. Hearing some nice things about the game in this thread!

[quote name='pete5883']Rosencaster Prison was frustrating the hell out of me. Those hopping tarantulas were quite cheap since the rest of your team doesn't understand the concept of blocking unless you tell them all to back off. I can see the horrible AI may get real old, real fast.[/QUOTE]

Same here!I don't understand why people say the ai isn't that horrible.In long run the dumb ai start to creap up slow by slowly into point of fustration

I've found the AI has gotten a lot better since that point in the game, excluding boss battles. Though it could just be that everyone is stronger so they don't need to get healed every 10 seconds like before.

[quote name='pete5883']Rosencaster Prison was frustrating the hell out of me. Those hopping tarantulas were quite cheap since the rest of your team doesn't understand the concept of blocking unless you tell them all to back off. I can see the horrible AI may get real old, real fast.[/QUOTE]
Same here, probably the most frustrating part of the game so far for me (I'm in Chapter 8). What makes it worse for me is that I never thought of using Desert Wind while I was there, it would've most likely made the battles much, much easier.

Desert Wind 2 makes Rosencaster laughable.

It's an excellent move for quite a while, as well.

Anywho, I haven't been able to play much because lately I've been getting home in the very late evening. I think I'll pick it up sometime this afternoon.

Hmmm... No ongoing thread discussing this game - this seems to be the most recent.

I got into it a few weeks ago and am now 70+ hours in - this is challenging DQ VIII for my favorite PS2 game.

Anyway, I've been doing the Insectron stuff and after finishing rank D I noticed there is a new option in the startup menu to go right into Insectron battles. You can play 2 player battles (my kids were thrilled with that because they wanted to play my game and this lets them use the bugs from my game without actually messing with my save file ;)).

I haven't read through this thread, but I did some extensive Google searches and came up with nothing. It appears there is a way to transfer Insectron teams to other people using an archaic password system. What I'm surprised about is that no one seems to have posted high level bug team passwords on the Internet for others to use. Does anyone here have a password they can post? I just want some of the harder to find high level bugs for my kids to play matches with. Or am I not understanding the way the password deal works? It seems you can register 20 teams per save file, and the way to do that is either through the bugs in your save file or a password acquired from elsewhere. Thus I assumed there would be lists of passwords from different bug teams on the Interwebs somewhere - but maybe not that many people are actually doing this part of the game?

Crap, so this game is good?!

I got a demo disc (and cloth map thing) in the mail for this game and simply set it aside.

[quote name='dallow']Crap, so this game is good?!

I got a demo disc (and cloth map thing) in the mail for this game and simply set it aside.[/QUOTE]

I think it is excellent. What is nice about it is that it has a nice balance of sidequests/extras - not TOO much that you can't get it all done, but enough to add a lot of variety to the game.

The main story is pretty good too, although I have set that aside for now in favor of all the side stuff. The other characters keep bugging me about getting back to it - kind of funny, actually...

[quote name='io']I think it is excellent. What is nice about it is that it has a nice balance of sidequests/extras - not TOO much that you can't get it all done, but enough to add a lot of variety to the game.

The main story is pretty good too, although I have set that aside for now in favor of all the side stuff. The other characters keep bugging me about getting back to it - kind of funny, actually...[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

I just watched some videos of the fighting engine, looks great.
I'm sorry I waited so long, but maybe I can get it for cheaper now! :D

[quote name='dallow']Thanks for the info.

I just watched some videos of the fighting engine, looks great.
I'm sorry I waited so long, but maybe I can get it for cheaper now! :D[/QUOTE]

Give it time, I can see this dropping price / going clearance by this Summer.

I read in GI a while back that, before the game was even released in America, Level5 was considering making a sequel. That would be incredibly awesome, even if it stays on the PS2. Although, Rogue Galaxy 2, on PS3, might be enough for me to shell out $500 (that, along with the new Ratchet and Clank, and Drakes Fortune).

[quote name='Roufuss']Give it time, I can see this dropping price / going clearance by this Summer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is a Sony published title so is available in adundance everywhere (no becoming rarez). I would expect at least $20 pricing sooner or later if not an outright clearance. This is also a prime candidate for a $20-$25 Amazon DotD. However, it is only $40 to start, so not too bad if you want a deep, engaging game to play. I expect to get about 100 hours out of it.

And VG, while I disagree wtih many things you say on CAG ;), I might go along with you on that PS3 purchase if they make a sequel for Rogue Galaxy. R&C is OK, and I'd pick that up, but it isn't a system seller for me. RG 2, however, just might be.

I wanted to add another element that I really like about this game - it encourages you to use all the characters you have (at least in your party even if you don't play them). There's two reasons for this - first of all, they ALL level up so no one is getting left behind, making switching them in and out no big deal. But the reason you will want to play them all is the weapon upgrading that you can do. You can combine two weapons to make a stronger one, but ONLY after you have used the original weapons in several battles. So this keeps you switching characters in and out as you find new weapons to combine. Also, what's great about the sidequests is that many can be done in parallel with the main story. The weapon combining, of course, is the easiest sidequest to do during normal play. You can also catch bugs and feed/breed them as you are playing (lay traps near teleporters, go back and snag them when the alarms go off). You also have the revelation flow (special abilities you obtain for each character in a flow chart-like screen by applying items you find to open slots). And then there's the hunter quarries, which you can often just take small side trips to catch up on. Oh, there's also the factory, which is like an object-oriented programming exercise (but fun!). None of the sidequests are overwhelming except *maybe* the one where you need to fight X number of every beast in the game - that's the only one I can see not completing.

All in all, this is the best RPG I've played at balancing the amount/difficulty/time consumption of sidequests relative to the main story. I'm glad we got the delayed/improved version here in the U.S. as they seem to have fixed many of these things in the update.

I could see this being a GH title if it does well.

Well Level 5 is working on White Knight Story on PS3 ...

Hey io, thanks for te review/input. I 've planned on picking this up once the price drops and will probably start playing it the day I pick it up (as opposed to putting it in th ebacklog) simply due to the fact that ALL characters level up, not just the ones you're using. That's been a definite annoyance in a lot of the RPG's I play. Again, thanks for the info (and I'm sure Sony sales will be happy too ;) ).

Seeing this thread pop back up on the PS2 list is real shameful.. I bought the game the week it came out and have yet to open it.. :(

In all fairness, I'm working my way through FFXII first. It just taunts me and shames me everytime I see the game.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Anyone have recomendations on how to handle Gale? That's one cheap boss fight.[/QUOTE]

Block until he reloads, attack, repeat. It'll take a bit...

This game has been the definition of a time sink for me. 72 hours in and I just hit Chapter 10. Of course I think going after the ridiculous task of fully completing the Frog Log adds to that, but who cares, it's fun stuff...

[quote name='Starky27']Block until he reloads, attack, repeat. It'll take a bit...

This game has been the definition of a time sink for me. 72 hours in and I just hit Chapter 10. Of course I think going after the ridiculous task of fully completing the Frog Log adds to that, but who cares, it's fun stuff...[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm just about exactly where you are.

whiptcracker - I forgot what the Gale fight was until you reminded me - yeah, the one where you fight with Deego alone. That is by far the hardest battle in the game and I lost it about 5 or 6 times just because I got impatient. If you do too many attacks with Deego he goes into an extended attack animation and Gale will blow you away. You really have to just do 1 or 2 hits when he is reloading and be patient and hope you hand holding the block button doesn't cramp up on you ;).

Also, make sure you have the Top Dog thing on at all times as it increases the damage you do with those 1 or 2 hits.

jer7583 - I wanted to start a new RPG and it was either this or FF XII. So I'm in the same situation as you, except it is FF XII which I have sitting in the backlog (unopened since I got the $59.99 "SE" at EB). Unlike in your case, though, I have seen FF XII go cheap several times ($19.99 at Amazon for example) whereas there have been no deals on Rogue Galaxy. I figured I'd play that before there was a good deal on it and then I wouldn't feel so bad about it :lol:.

[quote name='dallow']Crap, so this game is good?!

I got a demo disc (and cloth map thing) in the mail for this game and simply set it aside.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, lol, I had forgotten they sent me the demo too, and I did exactly the same thing, just set it aside and forgot about it!

This game is definitely on my list when it drops to $20 or so!

Hope no one minds my bump. Got this game during the B2G1F, and it is excellent. Put in about 7 hours so far, first game to keep me up past my bedtime in a while. I have to thank JohnnyDrama and Moxio's 3-month-old posts for the tip in Rosencaster Prison... that place was pissing me off. I think I'm just about out of it now (up on the first level somewhere), having drastically reduced the number of resurrection potions I go through.

[quote name='botticus']Hope no one minds my bump. Got this game during the B2G1F, and it is excellent. Put in about 7 hours so far, first game to keep me up past my bedtime in a while. I have to thank JohnnyDrama and Moxio's 3-month-old posts for the tip in Rosencaster Prison... that place was pissing me off. I think I'm just about out of it now (up on the first level somewhere), having drastically reduced the number of resurrection potions I go through.[/quote]

I had spent some time leveling up near a heal/save point because I was getting my ass handed to me there. You'll also encounter a couple merchants through that dungeon as well.

[quote name='Draekon']I had spent some time leveling up near a heal/save point because I was getting my ass handed to me there. You'll also encounter a couple merchants through that dungeon as well.[/quote]Yeah, I had to resort to doing some grinding right before starting the big descent/ascent. Then pray that I made it to the next save point/merchant.

[quote name='willardhaven']What B2G1F?[/QUOTE]

Most likely EB's B2G1F on used games a week ago.

Scored a great deal off ebay - Rogue Galaxy, 3 ratchet and clank games (which coincidentally were the 3 that I needed to complete the series) and shadow the hedgehog for $38! Games came today and I just can't contain myself.

Want to start on Rogue Galaxy but I have to force myself to finish Star Ocean til the end of time first.

I scored a good deal on Rogue Galaxy at a closing CompUSA. I was able to get it for 40% off and got it for $24 dollars. Now I have to find time to play it.

I'm thinking of finally getting this. I've waited and waited but no good deal has come...I'm about to just drop full price on it.

[quote name='whoknows']I'm thinking of finally getting this. I've waited and waited but no good deal has come...I'm about to just drop full price on it.[/QUOTE]
Unless you are anxious to play this, I think it would pay to wait it out. There are still plenty of copies around and a price drop is sure to come.

[quote name='oremites']Unless you are anxious to play this, I think it would pay to wait it out. There are still plenty of copies around and a price drop is sure to come.[/QUOTE]
I kinda am. I've been waiting since release, but I'm getting really impatient, and everyone seems to really like this game so I don't know how much longer I can resist :p

[quote name='whoknows']I kinda am. I've been waiting since release, but I'm getting really impatient, and everyone seems to really like this game so I don't know how much longer I can resist :p[/QUOTE]
That's what happened to me with Tales of the Abyss. I really wanted to play it and it was getting hard to find at the stores here, so I finally just picked it up. Funny thing is, I got involved in a couple of other games and haven't even started it yet.

Well, I went out and bought it, hope I don't regret it :p

While I was at Best Buy though, the girl there was telling me how good it was when she saw me holding the game...and then she tried to get me to buy a Wii.

I just want to throw it out there that Best Buy now has this guide for $9.99, use a $5 Gamepro coupon (scans are in the main forum) to grab this guide for $4.99.

Just got mine today, it's a nice, big guide.

[quote name='Roufuss']I just want to throw it out there that Best Buy now has this guide for $9.99, use a $5 Gamepro coupon (scans are in the main forum) to grab this guide for $4.99.

Just got mine today, it's a nice, big guide.[/QUOTE]
Awesome.

I was looking at it the other day, but for $20 there is no way I'd get it. $10 sounds good. $5 sounds even better if they take that coupon.

[quote name='whoknows']Awesome.

I was looking at it the other day, but for $20 there is no way I'd get it. $10 sounds good. $5 sounds even better if they take that coupon.[/QUOTE]

They had no problem taking mine, scanned in no problem. It's an awesome guide, clocks in at 382 pages I think, so it's well worth the $5.

I'll repeat what I said about that guide in the reduced price guide thread - it is nice, but it has some errors in the weapon combination charts, especially for the more powerful weapons. There was a correction posted on DoubleJump's web site but for some reason it had been removed last time I looked for it. I think they text of that is summarized in one of the Gamefaq FAQs though.

Just beware as I wasted some high-level weapons trying to create the ultimate weapons for a few characters and got something slightly less than ultimate as a result ;).

For those of you who haven't gotten this game yet because you are hesitant on its quality or price, you should definitely get it. Unbelievably great game.

Just bumping this since all the "Wii-haters" used this game to derail that infamous Wii thread earlier today. Also, me and Botticus are playing it.

Chacara (or whatever your name is ;)), WhoKnows, Botticus - you are all RG newbies. I'm about 80 hours in and on the final boss. I need to play it again (it has been about a month now).

One of you was hoping it would be 30+ hours? Hell yes, it is WAY more than that ;). ESPECIALLY if you get into the bug fighting and factory stuff... The monster bounty hunts don't take too much time though (got all those done a while ago), and I would definitely suggest doing that, at least, out of all the sidequests.

None of the sidequests take a ton of time, thugh, except for the one where you have to fight X of each monster (20-30 or so). That would add dozens of hours to the game to complete.

Anyway, I need to finish up that last boss and then hit the optional dungeon afterwards. By the way, a tip for the end - at least for part of the game, get used to controlling the other characters (besides Jaster). That is something I did not do, and it is why I got my ass kicked by the final boss (which is an order of magnitude harder than anything before it - I don't even remember the prison/factory very well which is where most of you seem to be).

Well, I have no interest in the bug hunting, but as long as it's 30+ hours...

I guess I'm just concerned because with my current pace, I'm at level 25 and I'm actually a bit less than 8 hours in... given that I typically finish RPGs at level 50 (nearly always, not just for Square Enix games either), I'm a bit concerned about the game in that regard But... eh, whatever. We'll see.

[quote name='Chacrana']Well, I have no interest in the bug hunting, but as long as it's 30+ hours...

I guess I'm just concerned because with my current pace, I'm at level 25 and I'm actually a bit less than 8 hours in... given that I typically finish RPGs at level 50 (nearly always, not just for Square Enix games either), I'm a bit concerned about the game in that regard But... eh, whatever. We'll see.[/QUOTE]

I admit, I've spent a lot of time in the Insectron stadium and catching the bugs to use there (and feeding them, etc). It is a nice little turn-based strategy game that, fleshed out a bit, could be it's own game. There's also the optional world that was added to the U.S. version. I did that sidequest and explored that area thoroughly, adding another 3-4 hours to the game, easily.

Clearly the levels are not a good indicator of how much more you have to go. What chapter are you on? Some of them are pretty short, but there is the one fairly long one (Chapter 8 - where you have to get the 3 pieces to activiate the thingamajig). After that the game goes fairly quickly. Note that you may start to hate the game a bit during Chapter 8, especially in the Gladius towers section. Just note that it gets less tedious and better again after that ;).

[quote name='Chacrana']Well, I have no interest in the bug hunting, but as long as it's 30+ hours...

I guess I'm just concerned because with my current pace, I'm at level 25 and I'm actually a bit less than 8 hours in... given that I typically finish RPGs at level 50 (nearly always, not just for Square Enix games either), I'm a bit concerned about the game in that regard But... eh, whatever. We'll see.[/quote]Well, I just broke 10 hours earlier today and Jaster is level 27, after finishing the factory (the boss of which was relatively easy compared to the rest of the dungeon).

And I think that was Chapter 4, and GameFAQs says there are 13 chapters. So it should be fairly lengthy even at our current pace.

Not to rub it in, but when I fused that goofy 0 weapon with the Full Breaker, I got a sword with 164 attack compared to your measly 157 when using the Metal Breaker. ;) I'm glad that all the weapons are modeled. For some reason it adds a lot to the game seeing your current EQ in the cutscenes/wandering around. Especially Steve and his steadily growing hands.

Okay, I no longer have concerns about length. I thought that at the current rate of leveling, the game would be over much quicker than I was lead to believe by other people... but the amount of experience required jumped again at level 27 (just three levels after the last jump.) Point is, it's going to take a lot longer to level up, and thus, probably a lot longer to get through the game now. So why am I so concerned about length? Well... this is one of the best RPGs I've played in a long while, so I don't want it to end really quickly or anything like that.

My complete and utter speculation as to how quickly you could finish the game if you powered through and didn't do any sidequesting is about 40-50 hours. But then you'd be fairly underpowered for the final parts and that might make it pretty tough ;). Like I said before, I would *at least* do the monster bounties, as they are actually fairly simple (easier than most of the regular bosses) yet provide variety. You'll gain some levels finding them too... You also get some nice rewards when you beat them.

Also, make sure to do the optional world once it opens up - it is a completely different environment and one of the most beautiful in the game. It has it's own story (related to the main story) and boss fight.. Just force yourself to go there because the main story never sends you there (though some of the bounties are there). Like I said before, that will add 3-4 hours (of variety) and gain you some levels too.

Botticus - yep, 13 chapters. Chapter 8 is the biggie - probably longer than 3-4 of most of the other chapters put together (you have to go to 3 different worlds). After 8, they are all fairly short until you find yourself at the end. It was on 10-12 or so that I decided to finish up as many sidequests as I could (it's funny, when you go back to some old area at that point, the characters get on your case for not dealing with the whole saving the universe thing). So far, I've got the factory creation stuff and the bounties completed. One that you can't really finish till near the end (I still haven't) is the revelation flow - but of course you will want to do as much of that as you can since it adds/increases abilities. I plan on finishing that as well. And I think I'm up through B rank in the Insectron (the key there is to breed the higher level bugs and then feed/feed/feed them - the guide is very helpful for this part except concerning where to catch them - I've found no correlation between the bugs I've caught and where the guide says they are!). Oh, and I already told Botticus this but if you want to get the weapon combination 100% just analyze and combine stuff from the very beginning - I didn't keep on top of that early on and now I need to make up for it (you don't have to make every weapon, thankfully - just a large number of them ;)).

bread's done
Back