Rogue Galaxy confimred for US release with improvements

Decided to repost my "finally finished" post from the "what you playin'" thread since it really belongs in here more anyway:

OK, so I was sitting down this evening with my boys and trying to decide what to play and they both voted for Rogue Galaxy so I gave the end another shot. I made it through this time! It wasn't as hard as I anticipated, even with me taking a 2 month break and forgetting how the controls work. There's nothing like jumping right back into a difficult boss fight (several in this case) having not played the game for a while. But it actually got much easier after where I died last time. Just make sure you have a ton of health potions at the end (like always in this game).
The part I died on was Deego's solo against the Demon Ship "hand", which follows your last group battle against the "main bad guy" of the game, which was surprisingly easy. I thought Deego's fight was really tough the first time (just like his earlier solo fight), and it is if you forget you only have one person - no resurrection, it's game over if he goes down. Just use potions a lot and you'll figure out the pattern of the boss. It takes a while to kill it, but it is pretty easy once you figure it out. The ones that followed were MUCH easier until Jaster's final battle which was a bit difficult and I almost lost a few times (which would have sucked as I would have had 1+ hours to replay), but I did make it through. Like most of the others, you just need to be patient and learn to master the BLOCK button :lol:. Now the Ghost Ship is a long, hard, slog...

Now I'm doing the optional "dungeon" after the end. Boy, is that sucker endless. I finally had to turn it off and take a break (well after both boys fell asleep watching ;)).

Also - one tip on the end of Rogue Galaxy. Bracket out about 2-3 hours once you are at the last save point (you will know when you are there). There's about 1 hour of fighting followed by 1-2 hours of cut scenes. I kid you not. I lost track of time that's why I'm not sure on the exact amount :lol:. And of course, stick through to the end of the credits because there's even more cutscenes and then FINALLY the ability to save your last 3 hours of hard work. Though you really aren't saving anything because when you load it back up you are back at the last save point like nothing happened (it is still pointing you towards the final battle). But there is a star in your save file and the optional dungeon opens up.

Tonight (Sunday) I finished the
Ghost Ship
and knocked off 100% in the Frog Log. It turns out I had several weapons sitting around ready to combine. I just discovered for the first time today that the Frog Log shows you which combos are ready to make. Before I had just accessed that info by analyzing weapons and then just picking the ones that were ready as I went along - never really had much use for the Frog Log itself but it came in very handy when I just wanted to get 50 combos done. You need 100 analyzed and 50 made to get 100%. I had like 300 analyzed, but only 42 or so made when I finished the other day.

Anyways, now I'm pushing 100 hours. I'm at 94% on the Revelation Flow and there are a couple of ingredients I thought I would find near the end that I haven't. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I think they have to come from random monster drops now (since I've missed very few treasure chests), so I suppose I could use the guide to see where the monsters are that drop what I need (mostly Mermaid's Scales, Alluring Lamps, and Galactic Compasses - none of which can be bought anywhere).

I'm at 83% for the Insectron stadium - I haven't been there in a while, so I;m not sure if I still have A or just S rank left.

I've gotten 100% on the bounties, the factory, and the special items. The only one I'm not close on and won't finish is the monster collection one (where you need to get 10-30 of each type of monster). I'm only at 40% on that :lol:.

I want to finish the Revelation Flow and Insectron, then I need to consider if I want to try the
Ghost Ship Extreme - think pit of 100 trials from Super Paper Mario
and the extra Insectron matches.

IIRC, the Alluring Lamp can be farmed for in the Rockbelter Mines. The Molemen drop them.

For me, I'm 70+ hours in and just got to Chapter 11, because I've been monster hunting as I'm going along. I think I've got the best weapon for everyone except Jaster's sword and Steve's beam cannons.

[quote name='EXStrike']IIRC, the Alluring Lamp can be farmed for in the Rockbelter Mines. The Molemen drop them.

For me, I'm 70+ hours in and just got to Chapter 11, because I've been monster hunting as I'm going along. I think I've got the best weapon for everyone except Jaster's sword and Steve's beam cannons.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just read that in the guide. And the Mermaid's Scales can be farmed in Mariglenn (near the end). I'll have to try that for a bit tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a few of each in less than an hour - don't want to spend too much time on it. It's not like I even get an achievement or something for it :lol:. Problem is, I also need a few other things (the Compass and I think even a stupid skull, which you get early but not frequently).

It's nice to see someone else on the same time-scale as me. You'll probably end up around 100 hours, too, if you explore thoroughly and do the optional stuff like I did. I ca't even imagine how Chacrana is under 30 hours in Chapter 12.

[quote name='io']Yeah, just read that in the guide. And the Mermaid's Scales can be farmed in Mariglenn (near the end). I'll have to try that for a bit tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a few of each in less than an hour - don't want to spend too much time on it. It's not like I even get an achievement or something for it :lol:. Problem is, I also need a few other things (the Compass and I think even a stupid skull, which you get early but not frequently).

It's nice to see someone else on the same time-scale as me. You'll probably end up around 100 hours, too, if you explore thoroughly and do the optional stuff like I did. I ca't even imagine how Chacrana is under 30 hours in Chapter 12.[/quote]Psh, I'm at 18 hours or so in Chapter 8. But I don't know where that will leave me afterwards. I just tend not to do a lot of optional stuff the first time through a game. We'll see how it goes.

bought this on a whim with some gift cards, along with tomb raider: anniversary. hearing all of you talk about how long it is, i don't have a clue when i'll have the time for this :cry:. i always said i preferred my games longer. then i got a full-time job.

[quote name='Shmitty']bought this on a whim with some gift cards, along with tomb raider: anniversary. hearing all of you talk about how long it is, i don't have a clue when i'll have the time for this :cry:. i always said i preferred my games longer. then i got a full-time job.[/quote]It's taken me less than a month to get more than halfway through it, so don't worry, eventually you'll find the time.

[quote name='botticus']Psh, I'm at 18 hours or so in Chapter 8. But I don't know where that will leave me afterwards. I just tend not to do a lot of optional stuff the first time through a game. We'll see how it goes.[/QUOTE]
I'm here as well. Just got to Chapter 8. Really enjoying this game so far. The story is kinda lame, but the AMAZING voice acting more than makes up for it. Every character has a distinct voice and personality. I never would have expected this from a localization by Sony. Remember the Wild Arms games?

Also:
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I really like Rogue Galaxy, don't get me wrong, but Ar Tonelico wipes the floor with it. Except for in the area of sidequests. In that regard Rogue Galaxy is superior since there is a ton of stuff to do. Other than that, going to have to go with Ar Tonelico.[/QUOTE]
lolololol.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Got this for my birthday on Monday, and I have enjoyed the hour and a half that I have put in so far. I am working on killing some of the monsters at are in the battle recorder thing before I head into the desert.

[quote name='AK85']Got this for my birthday on Monday, and I have enjoyed the hour and a half that I have put in so far. I am working on killing some of the monsters at are in the battle recorder thing before I head into the desert.[/QUOTE]

I would just give up on the Battle Recorder completion unless you want to put well over 100 hours into this game ;). I'm near 100 hours and only have the Battle Recorder stuff done about 35 or 40%. Plus a ton of the monsters don't even show up till after you beat the game (in the optional areas).

Now, it seems like Chacrana and Botticus and maybe some of you others are skipping all the sidequesting. The reason I don't do that is that I'm not likely to play it again so I want to get everything out of it the first time. Botticus, are you *really* going to play this again with the backlog you have (and having just got a PS2 you have much catching up to do)? :lol: I was trying to suggest the best parts of the sidequesting so you could do the shortest/most rewarding stuff without getting stuck with so many hours like me.

So, I'll say it again: do the bounties and the optional (ocean) world at a minimum. From doing the Ocean world you will get
Jaster's pirate outfit which is his best till near the end and looks cool to boot.
(not a major spoiler - just an outfit). I also enjoyed the factory and Insectron tournament (turn-based strategy, Botticus!) though those are both fairly time consuming. I still need to finish the Insectron tourney myself.

Of course the nice thing about Rogue Galaxy is that you can do all the optional stuff at the end once you beat the game. There's no need to restart with a "+" game or whatever to get all of it done. So I suppose you could rush the end and then go back and do all of the extras - but I tend to put a game aside when I beat it so I try to do anything extra first.

Yeah, I actually took a break after beating Vedan and Juraika in Chapter 8 to go to the optional world. I may do other stuff as time goes on, but for now that will hold me.

And its not really a matter of will I, it's a matter of could I see myself going back to play it again, and yeah, I could. Just make take a few years. :D

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, I actually took a break after beating Vedan and Juraika in Chapter 8 to go to the optional world. I may do other stuff as time goes on, but for now that will hold me.

And its not really a matter of will I, it's a matter of could I see myself going back to play it again, and yeah, I could. Just make take a few years. :D[/QUOTE]

OK, well, you are forgiven then ;). The optional world is obviously something that one should do as it was part of the added content for the U.S. release. At a bare absolute minimum I would suggest everyone doing that. But Botticus, you should really consider doing the bounties - they are a nice break from the random battles as they consist entirely of boss battles (though none are as hard as many of the regular game's boss battles).

As for me, I'm going to beat this thing to death and then put it aside for all eternity (but being the packrat that I am I will keep the game)...

Any suggestions for a follow-up RPG? I've got most of the PS2 RPG library and much of it is untouched.

Man, I got creamed by the boss of the optional world. It started off fairly easy, then after the cutscene break in the middle, he literally ran over my entire party... insta-death.

[quote name='botticus']Man, I got creamed by the boss of the optional world. It started off fairly easy, then after the cutscene break in the middle, he literally ran over my entire party... insta-death.[/QUOTE]

I remember that being moderately difficult but I don't remember the specifics at all. That was so long ago - like 2-3 months of real time for me. I can barely remember last week ;).

[quote name='io']I would just give up on the Battle Recorder completion unless you want to put well over 100 hours into this game ;). I'm near 100 hours and only have the Battle Recorder stuff done about 35 or 40%. Plus a ton of the monsters don't even show up till after you beat the game (in the optional areas).
[/quote]

Ok thanks, I won't waste my time then, since I don't see myself playing this over 100 hours ;)

The voice acting is good, but the script sucks, IMO.

I just reached Chapter 12 last night. I'm prolly gonna go finish up all the quarrys before tackling the Gulza Sanctuary. But oh man, Albioth was a freaking pain in the ass. Stupid whirlwind breath.

I keep hearing how long this game is but really want to pick it up eventually. How long, on average, would it take to just complete the storyline?

[quote name='EXStrike']The voice acting is good, but the script sucks, IMO.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but the voice acting totally saves it IMO.

In the middle of Chapter 8 right now. Did Juraika, now on Zerard.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I keep hearing how long this game is but really want to pick it up eventually. How long, on average, would it take to just complete the storyline?[/quote]I think you could finish the required parts in 30-40 hours depending on how quickly you tend to run through RPGs. The optional world I ducked into has already added a couple hours by itself. Doesn't help that I managed to walk the entire way around the planet just to see where another path went. :D But I got another treasure chest out of it.

You can spoiler tag if you feel its necessary, but where do I get the Star and Sun keys? I stumbled upon the Earth key my second trip to that village, but the other two have escaped me, and its sort of a pain passing up all those chests without them. Not as much of a pain as the damned Mimics though. God I hate those.

This game is longer then usual but its no Star Ocean Till the end of Time. Beating that game with all the endings took forever. Even with help from a FAQ

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah, but the voice acting totally saves it IMO.

In the middle of Chapter 8 right now. Did Juraika, now on Zerard.[/QUOTE]
That's because the voice of Jaster is the same voice of...

Batman from Batman Beyond. Also Gideon from Advent Rising

[quote name='whoknows']That's because the voice of Jaster is the same voice of...

Batman from Batman Beyond. Also Gideon from Advent Rising
[/QUOTE]
also Ron Stopable from Kim Possible

[quote name='62t']
also Ron Stopable from Kim Possible
[/QUOTE]

lol, you young kids, most of us older folks will remember him as Eric from Boy Meets World ;)

[quote name='Roufuss']lol, you young kids, most of us older folks will remember him as Eric from Boy Meets World ;)[/quote]Wow, that's him? I didn't recognize it at all.

[quote name='Roufuss']lol, you young kids, most of us older folks will remember him as Eric from Boy Meets World ;)[/QUOTE]
Oh I know that, just mentioning some of his recent voice acting

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I keep hearing how long this game is but really want to pick it up eventually. How long, on average, would it take to just complete the storyline?[/QUOTE]

I'd say 35-50 hours. Chacrana is charging through it and I think he'll finish at around 34 or so, but that would be the bare minimum.

Now, Botticus, if you explored thoroughly you wouldn't have any problems finding all the keys ;).

But, anyway, here's where they are. I couldn't find this info easily in the guide, so I had to delve into Gamefaqs for you. You're welcome ;).

The Star Key is available in Chapter 6 in Angela's Bar in Vedan. This is available right after Deego joins your group, so I'm guessing you've been without this one for a while ;). Since the bar gets destroyed you have to wait till it is rebuilt, I guess, to get it again (one of the FAQ's says Chapter 8).

The Sun Key is available in Chapter 10 in a house in Johannasburg (on Rosa). Maybe you haven't gotten there yet.

I should add that another element of the game that added a few hours was when I went back to get ALL the treasure chests in each area after clearing the teleporter points. In particular, there are some tricky ones in Vedan (that require you to jump on the moving trams). But I just had to go back and get ones I missed plus all the Star/Sun key ones I had to pass up earlier.

[quote name='io']
Now, Botticus, if you explored thoroughly you wouldn't have any problems finding all the keys ;).
[/quote]Its odd, the Earth Key was in an extremely obvious place that I obviously went to before, but I think due to their location, I walked in there, cut scenes occurred, then I forgot to look around for chests.

[quote name='botticus']Its odd, the Earth Key was in an extremely obvious place that I obviously went to before, but I think due to their location, I walked in there, cut scenes occurred, then I forgot to look around for chests.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, now that I remember what happened then I could see that happening. After going in initially, that game puts you outside when the cutscenes are over and it would be natural to move on to the next story bit.

[quote name='Roufuss']lol, you young kids, most of us older folks will remember him as Eric from Boy Meets World ;)[/QUOTE]
Shit, I totally forgot about that. He doesn't sound like him at all though, to be fair. Almost done with Chapter 9 now. I'm probably the last person to realize this, but you can still make awesome weapons by combining weapons that aren't supposed to go together according to the Frog Log. Hell, I've gotten better weapons than the Frog Log ones this way.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Shit, I totally forgot about that. He doesn't sound like him at all though, to be fair. Almost done with Chapter 9 now. I'm probably the last person to realize this, but you can still make awesome weapons by combining weapons that aren't supposed to go together according to the Frog Log. Hell, I've gotten better weapons than the Frog Log ones this way.[/quote]:rofl: I've only actually combined about a half dozen weapons as recommended by the Frog Log. Everything else is "well shit, I have these two weapons, I'm just gonna combine 'em."

[quote name='botticus']:rofl: I've only actually combined about a half dozen weapons as recommended by the Frog Log. Everything else is "well shit, I have these two weapons, I'm just gonna combine 'em."[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I just realized this last night. Now I have super uber weapons for a good majority of my characters by combining two high-level weapons.

Meh, I tried farming some Mermaid's Tears and a few other things. I managed to get about 3 in 2 hours, and I need about 5 more. Plus I still need a few other things. I'm thinking it is just not worth it to finish the Revelation flow (though I am SOOOO close!). I let my son do some of the battles as he likes the hack n slash parts. Maybe if he wants to do more...

I did revisit the Insectron stadium. I had completed the 'A' rank and gave 'S' a shot. Much to my surprise I made it to the fifth and final battle and nearly won that. The guy in that battle has the "secret" bug that I tried to catch but couldn't. It's pretty tough, but the bugs I have, levelled up a bit more, they can beat him. I might as well finish that off as, like I said before, it is pretty much it's own game apart from RG and very fun (a turn-based strat game really). Of course, I could farm the Revelation stuff I need while I feed the bugs to level them up (since you need to wait 10 minutes or so in between feedings).

I'm not sure I'm going to do the
Ghost Ship Extreme
though. I wish you got the revelation stuff from that. I was disappointed how little was in the regular
Ghost Ship

I decided to stop playing Dawn of Mana, and started playing RG instead. Mainly because I already got the game guide and figure i might as well use it.

I finally ordered a copy. Quick question, how much space do file saves take up? I may need to clear some room off a memory card while I wait for it to come in.

130 KB.

I'm about three Crystal Staves away from starting the final battle. That close to completing Revelation Flow. I hate rare drops. >_

[quote name='EXStrike']130 KB.

I'm about three Crystal Staves away from starting the final battle. That close to completing Revelation Flow. I hate rare drops. >_

The final boss is a fucking cheap bastard.
I guard when I'm supposed to, but apparently one of his attacks breaks your guard so the subsequent attacks in the sequence do full damage to the tune of 300+ per hit, within milliseconds of each other. It's pretty much impossible to heal at that time. I tried him twice and now I am taking a break till tomorrow. fucking ridiculous that I have to go through 9 fights to try it again too.

Yeah -
I just moved right up in front of him, blocking all the time except for tiny breaks to move up (if iI get pushed back by the spikes). I dunno, what level are you at? I was able to withstand every attack and heal though I almost went through all my potions. Then of course it is just a matter of timing to get a swing or two in with your giant sword without getting hit by an attack (without your guard up). It seemed as long as I didn't screw up and miss my guard I was OK, even with his guard break attack. I think once or twice I di dmess up but the 1 HP thing saved me (where the last attack no matter how strong doesn't kill you but leaves you with 1 HP and hopefully time to heal). But with 999 HP (level 63 or so) it isn't so hard - if you are significantly lower I could see it being an issue.

The part that I lost it on at the end was Deego's fight with the hand. I was just careless in forgetting I only had one character (so couldn't resurrect) and once I figured out the pattern that fight became pretty easy (the second time around). Most of the rest are cakewalks since you can hit them with ability attacks.

ARGHH. I got careless and tried to go for the quick killshot on the last part of the final battle and died. fuck! :bomb:

Edit: Just beat it, w00t. Actually remembered to abuse my Brave Symbols. Wathcing the credit roll right now.

Edit 2: I'm clocked in at 88:17:06 for game time at the post-credit save.

Yeah io, I tried the right up in front of him strategy too and got fucked twice. So I don't know. I guess I'll try to dodge a bit this time. The rest of the battles are easy, this is really pisser though to have to go through them all again.

Guarding is a good cancelling move--you can get it more swings by guarding right after your sword connects. You end up guarding for a longer time and can get in more hits because you're not waiting for the sword to go through its full long swing.

[quote name='EXStrike']
Edit: Just beat it, w00t. Actually remembered to abuse my Brave Symbols. Wathcing the credit roll right now.

Edit 2: I'm clocked in at 88:17:06 for game time at the post-credit save.[/QUOTE]

This is good advice for Dead of Knight - this was the first time in the game I used those Symbol thingies. I believe one of them increases your defense too. Maybe that will help you withstand the attacks. I used a mixture of the attack and defense (or does the Brave do both? I forget - I used multiple ones anyway). I kept guarding, using those, healing, and swinging away when I had the chance.

EXStrike - pretty close to my time (I think I was in the low 90's at that point - I've inflated it to 103 since then with the optional stuff afterwards). I'm glad there's someone else out there who didn't blaze through it in 35 hours :lol:.

Yeah, I tried using them but they only last for like 10 seconds. I guess I'll try to use them more though. I'm 40 something hours in at the endtime, by the way. I didn't blaze through it, but then again I didn't do any of the factory or insectron either.

I don't know if this helps, DoK, but:
I had an easier time dealing with his mouth beam than his eye 'mines'. I would rotate attacking eyes and mouth and as long as you don't hit his hands, most of his attacks are manageable. If you do pause to heal or whatnot, make sure he's covering his eyes as the mouth beam isn't nearly as random or 'cheap'.

[quote name='io']
EXStrike - pretty close to my time (I think I was in the low 90's at that point - I've inflated it to 103 since then with the optional stuff afterwards). I'm glad there's someone else out there who didn't blaze through it in 35 hours :lol:.[/quote]

I did almost everything you could do without post-game. I got all Seven-Star Swords, leveled them all up, got Mastered equipment for everyone and Jaster's gun. For MIO's completion percentages, I did everything, except for Monster Hunting (which you can't finish until you hit GS and GSE) and Insectron (which I didn't touch at all).

Thanks for the tips guys, gonna try to beat him again now. Just got back from GS with the game I'll play after I beat this damn boss- .hack//GU Volume 1. Don't think I'm gonna try the Ghost Ship, as the rewards seem pretty meager (lol new costumes!!!1), and from what io said, it doesn't look like you get shit for the Revelation Flows, so why bother?

EDIT: Beat it. It was very easy once I made sure to target both parts whenever the other one was being blocked, and I made sure to run away whenever the mines/bombs were used. Also made sure to renew the attack/defense up items and did double damage the whole battle. 44 hours was my end time.

Congrats, DoK.

I'm wondering what RPG I should start next. I've started .hack//GU and Ar Tonelico, but Odin Sphere looks very tempting.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Thanks for the tips guys, gonna try to beat him again now. Just got back from GS with the game I'll play after I beat this damn boss- .hack//GU Volume 1. Don't think I'm gonna try the Ghost Ship, as the rewards seem pretty meager (lol new costumes!!!1), and from what io said, it doesn't look like you get shit for the Revelation Flows, so why bother?

EDIT: Beat it. It was very easy once I made sure to target both parts whenever the other one was being blocked, and I made sure to run away whenever the mines/bombs were used. Also made sure to renew the attack/defense up items and did double damage the whole battle. 44 hours was my end time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot about the little mine things (glowihng orb dealies). I avoided those. The beam is the one I could withstand the hits from. You do have to stay away from the glowing things though as they will wipe you out. I don't even know what you guys are talking about with targeting different parts. I just went up there and swung - I'd often have to hit him once to open his shield and then again to actually hit him. But maybe it is easier if you target these different parts. One thing I always had trouble with in this game was switching my targeting - but it never really was much of an issue.

EXStrike - I was considering Odin Sphere as well. Other possibilities include FF XII, Tales of the Abyss, Shadow Hearts series, DDS 1/2... I have others as well. When I spend 100+ hours on one RPG I tend to make little progress on my backlog :lol:.

Spent some heavy time this week on my utterly pointless goal of completing the Frog Logs for all characters. My game clock is up to 144 hours now and so far I've finished the Frog Logs for Jaster, Steve and Lilika and the Secondary Weapon logs for Zegram and Kisala. Trying to do some Insector hunting at the same time as that's the only aspect of the game that I haven't touched really. Also started my first run through the final bonus dungeon too, so far it looks like it'll be a grind...

bread's done
Back