RPG Recommendations/Discussion

[quote name='MSI Magus']I dont think it justified an M rating....but I do think its why it got one.[/quote]
I agree, but I think the blood in Tartarus did it. AlsoDDS and Devil Summoner are more in tune with the other countries ratings. Hey someone who has Nocturne can you tell me the reasons why its M (if you don't know it should be on the back where the rating is)
Persona 3 FES
M for: Blood
Language
Partial Nudity
Suggestive Themes
Violence(Why isn't it fanatsy violence?)

it is hard for rating to be in tune with other countries because we have different law. Most countries have very strict gun control law.

Just make sure as you play P3 that you focus on S.Links. Anytime there is an S.Link available DO IT! And dont focus on just 1 charcters S.Links. When different charcters reach different levels in their S.Links they tell you about other S.Links which then become open. Everyday after school if there is an S.Link DO IT! And then at night focus on your acedemics, charm and courage.

Tartarus should just be treated as a place to make money.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Hey guys if you guys have any advice give it to me, thanks Magus[/QUOTE]

Well that really is the most important advice I can think of to give you. S.Links are such a huge part of the game and you ideally want to be working on an S.Link every single day of the week. Only 3 charcter will ever be available on Sunday so before too too long you will be able to spend your Sundays raising your acedemics, charm or courage.

Also pay attention to Elizebeths requests. Most give junk and arnt time lined. But there are a few that lead to the abilty to summon special personas.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Final Fantasy 12. Why haven't you played it yet? That game is amazing.[/quote]
Having too much fun with Persona 3 FES even though I stopped because I was way too into it. I might start again soon.

Depends on what you want. Dark Cloud 2 is a little light on the story department, its a bit of a cliche tail and rather simplistic...but it does have its charm. DC2 shines more in the gameplay and weapons department. Its action based with one of the deepest battle systems of any of the action RPG games. The main charcter can attack in a few ways with his main weapon or attack with an offhand weapon. Then there is the alternative charcter to play as who again has several moves a back flip and a distance weapon. The second character can change into monsters in addition, while the main character can climb into a giant customizable robot(change its weapons from boxing gloves to missile launcher to guns or its lets into a hard to turn but fast motorcycle or extreamly agile but slow helicopter bottom). The characters don't level up, instead weapons you attack with gain points that you can use to break items into spheres that are then fused into the weapon to offer bonuses like atk up or elemental attacks. Each weapon then has branching paths of evolution that turn it into different weapons. In the end the branching paths lead to 3 or 4 ultimate weapons each with their own pros and cons(though you can ultimatly break weapons and fuse them together to make a super weapon that will have all the attributes).

If you want action and something with a deep level/weapon system grab DC2.

FFXII I couldnt get into but its not horrible. I just felt the story didnt go anywhere, the characters received far too little development...and the battle system was not quite action not quite turn based.

Suikoden III I cant reccomend. It has a great plot but its battle system is borked.

That leaves Shadow Hearts. Shadow Hearts I dont recommend......but Shadow Hearts Covenenet is freaking awsome. And you probally want to play Shadow Hearts before playing Shadow Hearts Cov. Shadow Hearts isnt a bad game it just hasnt aged well. Its story is just ok most of the game and there are not really many things to do in the game outside the main plot which really leads you by the hand. The graphics also havnt aged well. THe battle system still kicks ass though. Whenever you choose to do anything in battle from attack to use items a clock looking circle pops up. Now imagine that the clock has several parts lit up in the shape of a slice of pie. The hand of the clock swings round and you have to stop it in that slice to accomplish anything. If your charcter attacks they can attack 1-3 times based on how many of the slices you managed to hit. And instead of critical hits being based on luck its based on skill. At the very tip of each slice of pie is a very tiny glowing red area. If you hit that area then that hit is critical.

Shadow Hearts Cov takes SH and kicks it into overdrive. The story is freaking awsome, there are more cut scenes to boot and its really got length to it. The battle system is also improved, it takes the first games battles but then adds in combo attacks with other charcters which can REALLY up your damage....however if the enemy breaks your combo you can really miss out. It also adds in the abilty to find new peices for your ring which allows you to go from hitting 2 times up to 5 in battle.

I LOVE Shadow Hearts Cov and it seems most others do too. So if you want a traditional RPG with a twist its a great buy....but you should try to have the money and patience to play through Shadow Hearts first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought FFXII was great, especially if you master the Gambit system. The story was more mature than the previous entries in the series, although it had more of a Western RPG feel to it.

[quote name='kill3r7']I thought FFXII was great, especially if you master the Gambit system. The story was more mature than the previous entries in the series, although it had more of a Western RPG feel to it.[/QUOTE]

Ermmm how was it any more or any less mature then any other entry in the series? We still had young girly kids for the hero and heroine? It was still really dramatic? It still dealt with the same issues and themes. Only difference is the story of XII was shallow. It tried so hard to be deep but there just was not enough of a plot holding the game together, most of it was random quests and plot to hold the damn thing together. Worse yet though the characters received very little development and back story.

The plot, and especially the ending, of FFXII did leave much to be desired. But the gameplay was great fun, and was a helluva lot better than trying to hit a spinner right.

i enjoyed FFXII but the story went a bit over my head. At times it was confusing.

if only my memory card didnt mess up and lose my 111 hours of gameplay :( i was RIGHT at the end..

it seems to always be an almost split on good and bad for FFXII, personally i loved it, most especially because of balthier. MSI Magus just sold me to actually try out my dark cloud 2 game that i received way back.

MSI Magus sums up my thoughts on Shadow Hearts and Dark Cloud 2. Shadow Hearts is worth playing so you can get into Shadow Hearts 2 (great, great game).

[quote name='LeafPanda']I'm leaning toward SH: Cov and DC 2. Do I really need to play Shadow Hearts to understand the story?[/QUOTE]

SH2 takes off right after Shadow Hearts left off and the main charcter of SH2 is the main charcter of SH1. You CAN play SH2 without playing 1........however a number of charcters from SH1 return in 2 and in some suprsingly ways. As I said its possible to play 2 without 1 but I cant stress enough that it makes playing 2 soooooo much better. You can get Shadow Hearts 1 for like $15-$25 which isnt horrible and SH2 is around the same price. If you want to drive to Ohio you can borrow my copy :)

[quote name='62t']also it is worth noting that SH1 is rated M while SH2 is rated T[/QUOTE]

Hehe well Shadow Hearts also has a scene where you see someones head collapse in on itself after the person is punched in the face and another where someones arm is ripped off!

[quote name='MSI Magus']You can get Shadow Hearts 1 for like $15-$25 which isnt horrible and SH2 is around the same price.[/quote]

Amazon puts SH1 at $35 and SH2 at $26. :X

I would agree that playing SH1 before SH2 is nearly a requirement. Plus, you'll be pro at the Judgment Ring because SH2 makes it easier to use.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']is shadow hearts conavent rare? i found a sealed copy at fye for 19.99[/quote]

Not all that rare, but if it's factory sealed you can probably flip it and make a few bucks profit.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Amazon puts SH1 at $35 and SH2 at $26. :X

I would agree that playing SH1 before SH2 is nearly a requirement. Plus, you'll be pro at the Judgment Ring because SH2 makes it easier to use.[/QUOTE]

Amazon is also more expensive then ebay 9/10 times.

[quote name='shelisheli']i enjoyed FFXII but the story went a bit over my head. At times it was confusing.

if only my memory card didnt mess up and lose my 111 hours of gameplay :( i was RIGHT at the end..[/QUOTE]

You gotta be kidding me. FFXII had a weak, thin story that disappointed me because they had promised a deep, compelling political plot. The only plot I saw was Vayne taking over the kingdom for war purposes; he didn't even do anything complicated to do it, just
kill his dad and overpower the senate

Gameplay-wise, though, the game was fantastic.

Wow that sounds intense, I might start off with DC 2 first then get into SH. DC 2 is easier for me to get because as you can probably tell I'm underage

It is no more necessary to play the first Shadow Hearts before Covenant than it is to play Koudelka before Shadow Hearts.

Covenant does an AWESOME job of catching the player up to the events of the first game. As has been mentioned, you'll miss out on a few subtle jokes, characters, and a smidgen of the ending, but it's not worth having to play through the first game for it. It has not aged at all well, sadly. The humor was much darker in the first whereas it gets downright comical in the second.

Also, Covenant was the first RPG I have played that actually delivered the promised number of hours (just over 80 for me). Final Fantasy XII happened to be the second at just over 100 hours (and I still haven't ventured into some areas of the game).

[quote name='thelonepig']It is no more necessary to play the first Shadow Hearts before Covenant than it is to play Koudelka before Shadow Hearts.

Covenant does an AWESOME job of catching the player up to the events of the first game. As has been mentioned, you'll miss out on a few subtle jokes, characters, and a smidgen of the ending, but it's not worth having to play through the first game for it. It has not aged at all well, sadly. The humor was much darker in the first whereas it gets downright comical in the second.

Also, Covenant was the first RPG I have played that actually delivered the promised number of hours (just over 80 for me). Final Fantasy XII happened to be the second at just over 100 hours (and I still haven't ventured into some areas of the game).[/QUOTE]

I disagree. While Koudelka is part of the series its not nearly to the extent that SH to SH2 was. While SH2 does an amazing job of catching you up the plot twists in it are just sooo much more mind blowing and will make the game so much more fun if you played SH first.

After all to find out that the villian of the first game was actually trying to accomplish something so good....that was hella cool and just one of a few moments where SH2 took SH1 plot and turned it on its head

[quote name='MSI Magus']
After all to find out that the villian of the first game was actually trying to accomplish something so good....that was hella cool and just one of a few moments where SH2 took SH1 plot and turned it on its head
[/QUOTE]

Wasn't this kind of done at the end of SH1? They say that "Roger Bacon" was doing all this trying to avoid a big disaster. Then the last scene of the ending is: "X years after he is defeated, World War I starts." Hell maybe it was II, I don't remember. But I thought it was a pretty awesome ending.

[quote name='LeafPanda']I want to try one of those nifty looking atlus games. Stella Deus, Metal Saga, Steambot Chronicles or other?[/QUOTE]

Steambot isnt an RPG and is meh. Metal Saga sucks and Stella Deus is just ok. I would stick to DC2 and the Shadow Hearts series. If you must get a cool box set then fork up for Growlanser which is atleast half way decent.

I think Stella Deus is universally loathed.

Metal Saga I'm not sure about but it looks pretty low-end to me.

Steambot is considered very good by many, although reviews tend to state that it has unpolished gameplay. It's a sandbox style adventure game with a ton of different elements.

[quote name='Moxio']You gotta be kidding me. FFXII had a weak, thin story that disappointed me because they had promised a deep, compelling political plot. [/quote]

i just found it hard to pay attention. i lose interest too quickly.

Never at any point in FFXII did I know "exactly" what was going on. I was just moving from point A to B without any reason why. I just spamed attack commands, I never used magic or skills.

[quote name='LeafPanda']I want to play disgaea, but I'm waiting for the ds version.Or should I buy both?[/QUOTE]

just get it for DS as it has the bonus characters and new mode.

Everyone was probably burnt out from all the other NIS games.

I never played it, but I do know that it's more like Tactics Ogre or Fire Emblem than Disgaea. You create squads and battle it out in large skirmishes rather than the 1 on 1 style fights of Disgaea. I avoided picking it up due to the fact that a separate screen loads for attacks, rather than just having movement/fighting take place on the same screen.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Okay, so still has anyone tried Soul Nomad, that was the one game that no one played.[/QUOTE]

Man you ask about more RPGs then you actually play :)

[quote name='MSI Magus']Man you ask about more RPGs then you actually play :)[/QUOTE]

Yup. Everytime we suggested good games you ask us to pick out another game.

[quote name='depascal22']Maybe because it's a mini-game?[/QUOTE]

Ooooooo do I get a l33t sword for finishing said mini game? Or maybe its a quirky japanese mini game that never came stateside and I get to see some haWt CHIBIZ!

Nice one! So, Leaf Panda, you should have enough RPGs to last you until armageddon at this point. And when that happens, I suggest finding the nearest effeminate boy (shouldn't be a problem in San Fran), a shy girl that hasn't fulfilled her destiny, and a varied cast of characters that will help you get through the post-apocalyptic wasteland........at least until the mutants attack. Magic doesn't do shit to them.

bread's done
Back