RPG Thread VI needs a remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much Chrono Cross hate =/ I absolutely loved Chrono Cross. I've played and beaten it numerous times. Then again, it's one of the highest reviewed games of all-time so that may be it.

If we are in 2000 it will be very hard to make a case against Chrono Cross. It had amazing soundtrack and graphics (at that time). Story and battle system were decent enough. People were making a case it was one of the greatest RPG of all time.

[quote name='2DMention']I used to have a friend who grinded characters between 60 to 99 in each point in FFIV. Crazy.
[/QUOTE]

I grind every character to 99 every time I play FFVI. No idea why.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']I think I may finally start Tales of Vesperia. I'm finally much more caught up on my RPG's, I beat Mass Effect 2 (which I absolutely loved) and now ToV is the only 360 game left for me to beat.[/QUOTE]

Best RPG I've played in a long time.

[quote name='Midguy']Best RPG I've played in a long time.[/QUOTE]

I liked it but gave up on it because I got sick of it and the FAQ at the time wasn't up to date and I got stuck.

I'd like to go back to it eventually, but it's expensive for a game that's 2 years old.

[quote name='2DMention']I liked it but gave up on it because I got sick of it and the FAQ at the time wasn't up to date and I got stuck.

I'd like to go back to it eventually, but it's expensive for a game that's 2 years old.[/QUOTE]

Well most RPGs are able to retain their value pretty well

I bit on Mass Effect for $5 and got the sequel the same night to seal the deal once I realized I enjoyed the game. Nearly finished now with the first one, it's a great game but very noticeably sloppy in key areas. Hoping the sequel is everything its cracked up to be.

[quote name='JEKKI']video games!!

u press buttons, stuff happens!!

I dont believe in games being dated... good games are always good.

games that suck today sucked back then as well.[/QUOTE]
nah i think overall the rise in skill level has changed RPGs just a bit
plus if people play games for the story, then technology certainly changes thew way a game is directed, how dialogue is written, etc

ff4's story has aged poorly. it's laughable almost. but man back then that was the best we could do with story.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I bit on Mass Effect for $5 and got the sequel the same night to seal the deal once I realized I enjoyed the game. Nearly finished now with the first one, it's a great game but very noticeably sloppy in key areas. Hoping the sequel is everything its cracked up to be.[/QUOTE]
The "explore the planet missions" were terrible in Mass Effect, what with the floppy physics of that tank thing you got, and for me, because I wanted to complete almost everything in the game, was a good chunk of game time.

There's less exploration in ME2 (unless you count mineral gathering...which I don't and thought to be a necessary evil), but I think the combat was far more fluid and enjoyable, especially with some of the powers you get (I still want to try a Vanguard!). I felt the story in ME2 was a little more tightly woven, except for maybe the fact that after a certain point in the story I felt obligated to drop everything and finish it.

Is the enemy and party A.I. improved? And does the dialogue actually offer choices or just different ways to express the same thing?

I had nothing wrong with the dialogue itself, but I don't agree with creating the illusion of choice when it really doesn't matter what you choose to say. And the few parts where your decision did matter weren't very intense or dramatic as they tried to make it.

[quote name='kainzero']nah i think overall the rise in skill level has changed RPGs just a bit
plus if people play games for the story, then technology certainly changes thew way a game is directed, how dialogue is written, etc[/QUOTE]since when do RPGs require skill to play?? there's a reason why mana knight loves them.

if anything technology has ruined RPGs, look at FF13 and how pretty it is, yet no focus was put into making the story and anything else about the game any good. FF4's story poo pooz all over 13's. That's why all the good JRPG out these days are on DS and PSP, lower budget = more attention on making the game good versus pretty.

look at a game like Charles Barkley Shut Up & Jam... awesome story, awesome battle system, awesome game. You dont need 600 bits to pull that off.

if anything the only thing technology added to JRPGs is voice acting which more ppl hate than love.

whenever a new FF comes out it pisses so many people off -- i'm gonna stop trying to make discussion about it and just watch people rage.

[quote name='JEKKI']since when do RPGs require skill to play?? there's a reason why mana knight loves them.[/QUOTE]
there's lots of reasons.
i mean for one, the map is accessible in game as opposed to back then where the map came in the box.

all these games have guides and walk you through so easily.

playing dragon warrior back then when it came out was a much harder and more difficult experience than it was now because we're familiar with the stats, the concept of levelling, grinding, equipment, how to explore the world, etc. etc.

and back then ff1 nes was a cool game. nowadays the remakes blow it out of the water because i don't like seeing "ineffective," i don't like all the strange bugs, etc etc

[quote name='panzerfaust']Is the enemy and party A.I. improved? And does the dialogue actually offer choices or just different ways to express the same thing?

I had nothing wrong with the dialogue itself, but I don't agree with creating the illusion of choice when it really doesn't matter what you choose to say. And the few parts where your decision did matter weren't very intense or dramatic as they tried to make it.[/QUOTE]

It's almost night and day between ME1 and 2 in most of the key areas of the game. Such a great game. Awesome DLC too.

[quote name='JEKKI']since when do RPGs require skill to play?? there's a reason why mana knight loves them.[/QUOTE]
BURN :lol: However, some of my favorite RPGs these days are mystery dungeons and similar dungeon crawlers that are hard as shit, especially early on (grinding won't save you in those cases). However, due to their difficulty, they're pretty niche.

Not that I don't enjoy the relaxing ones where some grinding is required, too. I mean, Dragon Quest is my favorite RPG series...

There's something very therapeutic about grinding. Especially that first point where you can kill all the starting monsters with one hit and they can't touch you and your hero feels all badass... and then you cross some river and realize not every creature in the world is a blob of goo. :D

Speaking of old school grinding, not sure what inspired me but I popped in the GBA Breath of Fire last night, if it gets its hooks in me again maybe I'll marathon my way through the whole series (my UK BoFIII for PSP is still sealed, I want to give it a chance to infuriate me with its load times).

I'd argue that some of the SMT games require some sort of skill.

Legend of Dragoon also required timed button presses to make your attacks more powerful.

RPGs are just a different skill set than most games. I mean, I'll readily admit that my lack of quick gaming reflexes is part of the reason I'm drawn to RPGs (or turn-based strategy games as opposed to RTS), but being able to plan a good party or choose the right actions can definitely be challenging, depending on the game.

RPGs are for nerds.

I think RPGs are typically more about strategy and planning where as other games require more quick reflexes and reactionary skills; basically in a fighting game you have a split second to make a decision about what will counter your opponents next move whereas in a turn based RPG you typically have a larger chunk (or sometimes unlimited) amount of time to plan your actions.

With that said there are plenty of action RPGs that kind of bridge the gap between those two skill sets, for instance anyone who says that Demon's Souls or Monster Hunter requires no skill is crazy. Those games require skills both in the sense of reflex/reaction when dodging, blocking, and attacking, and strategy/planning skills in the development of equipment/character, what to bring with you, and how to defeat enemies.

As far as skill in RPGs, you really don't need it if you can grind and just overpower everyone. But if you want to beat it effectively, my favorite aspect is when you need to balance short-term "how do I beat this enemy" vs. long-term "how do I want to develop my party". This is pretty typical, e.g. a weak weapon that teaches you a good skill.

I really screwed myself in DDS2 just now because I got to the end and there were a couple skills I really wanted that no one had. The first one was pretty easy (for SMT) but I had to grind for way too long in the final dungeon of DDS2.

RPGs dont require skill... jus time investment.

the most "skillfull" rpg I can think of would be VP Silmeria, and even that game demands a time investment for getting items and abilities to be able to perform all the crazy stuff u can do in it.
[quote name='bvharris']RPGs are for nerds.[/QUOTE]mana knight is not a nerd.[quote name='kainzero']there's lots of reasons.
i mean for one, the map is accessible in game as opposed to back then where the map came in the box.

all these games have guides and walk you through so easily.

playing dragon warrior back then when it came out was a much harder and more difficult experience than it was now because we're familiar with the stats, the concept of levelling, grinding, equipment, how to explore the world, etc. etc.

and back then ff1 nes was a cool game. nowadays the remakes blow it out of the water because i don't like seeing "ineffective," i don't like all the strange bugs, etc etc[/QUOTE]again, the complaints you have about these old games today are still valid had you played the games when they came out. It's not an issue of the game being dated or aging, that game is what it is. There's a reason why I didnt bother with RPGs until 16 bits, becoz I played Faxanadu on the NES and jus could not get into it.

it's actually playing and understanding a 16-bit RPG that retroactively allows me to go back to earlier generations and be able to play a game like Phantasy Star or DQ

So the argument here is that RPGs are easy because you can choose to abuse the game by subjecting yourself to grinding enemies for an unfair advantage? Well hey, sometimes I like power leveling my characters and collecting powerful stuff too, but I'm not going to say the game in its proper form is a cakewalk.

That's like saying Counter-Strike is an easy FPS because you've only faced terrible players.

[quote name='JEKKI']again, the complaints you have about these old games today are still valid had you played the games when they came out. It's not an issue of the game being dated or aging, that game is what it is. There's a reason why I didnt bother with RPGs until 16 bits, becoz I played Faxanadu on the NES and jus could not get into it.

it's actually playing and understanding a 16-bit RPG that retroactively allows me to go back to earlier generations and be able to play a game like Phantasy Star or DQ[/QUOTE]
i don't know what i'm arguing about anymore

but yay jekki
breakdancing requires skill

[quote name='depascal22']I'd argue that some of the SMT games require some sort of skill.[/QUOTE]
I don't think they do. I think you just need to be careful and patient.

I think I'm about done with Etrian Odyssey (again). I haven't finished mapping the last floor, but to do so would require me to fight the toughest monsters in the game, and I'm in the mindset to take them on (already attempted one at least twice, and "ridiculously hard" doesn't begin to describe it). Still, all the other floors are done, and I'm ready to move on to something else anyway.

Yeah, RPGs take no skill.

*goes through 4-1 in demon's souls for the 15th time, hoping to at least get a chance to land a hit on the boss*

[quote name='GhostShark']I did the unthinkable last night :( I replaced Frog on my Chrono Trigger team with Ayla. It's ok. Ayla's hawt.[/QUOTE]

What! Who else is in that party? My party for Chrono Trigger always has Chrono and Ayla in it... well except for the parts where they can't be in the party. Then I typically use Marle for her Haste and single target healing and use items if I need to heal multiple party members. Then I use one of the accessories that drops the cost of using Techs and spam the Chrono/Ayla dual-tech Falcon Hit which does a straight across line and hits almost all parts of every boss in the game, and with Haste on everyone you do it every couple seconds.

Frog is a great healer, especially since he can heal the entire party at once; but I like the Haste and Falcon Hit combo for dealing insane damage on boss battles so I stick to Chrono, Ayla, and Marle.

[quote name='icebeast']What! Who else is in that party? My party for Chrono Trigger always has Chrono and Ayla in it... well except for the parts where they can't be in the party. Then I typically use Marle for her Haste and single target healing and use items if I need to heal multiple party members. Then I use one of the accessories that drops the cost of using Techs and spam the Chrono/Ayla dual-tech Falcon Hit which does a straight across line and hits almost all parts of every boss in the game, and with Haste on everyone you do it every couple seconds.

Frog is a great healer, especially since he can heal the entire party at once; but I like the Haste and Falcon Hit combo for dealing insane damage on boss battles so I stick to Chrono, Ayla, and Marle.[/QUOTE]

I've pretty much stuck to Chrono, Marle and Ayla for the most part. I've beaten the game numerous times but never really gave Ayla a shot, but holy hell she hits hard. And the Falcon Strike and Iceberg Toss dual techs are money. I'm using Robo now that Chrono is out of commision. I just kicked Dalton's ass on the Epoch.

[quote name='GhostShark']I've pretty much stuck to Chrono, Marle and Ayla for the most part. I've beaten the game numerous times but never really gave Ayla a shot, but holy hell she hits hard. And the Falcon Strike and Iceberg Toss dual techs are money. I'm using Robo now that Chrono is out of commision. I just kicked Dalton's ass on the Epoch.[/QUOTE]

My Chrono Trigger team at the end of the game consisted of Crono, Ayla, and Robo. When Crono isn't in the party I replace him with Frog. I also like to use Marle in the first half of the game when you are still acquiring party members.

Crono + Ayla have my favorite dual attacks in the game and some great solo attacks as well, and Robo is probably the best healer overall, so they make a pretty well-balanced team for me.

[quote name='kainzero']i don't know what i'm arguing about anymore

but yay jekki
breakdancing requires skill[/QUOTE]oh dood!! speaking of that, I gotta let u kno my idea for a rpg game!!

other than D.O.G.R.P.G... which is pretty much the greatest game that would ever be made assuming someone will allow/help me make it.

basically it's a RPG, but the combat system instead of fighting is dancing. Like your conflict is dance battles.

like your normal attack would be like a top rock, but you can spend your SP or whatever to do like a flare or strobing or sum shyt coz it does more damage.

and of course there would be team attacks as well a la chrono trigger coz that's how dancers do it!!

anyways I dont have a name for the game yet and Im currently jus goin thru the story planning but so far it's fucking epic... more epic than D.O.G.R.P.G. which imo is saying A LOT

so yeay if anyone has like programmers, artists, animators, and a few hundred thousand bucks, plz invest them in me

I promise I will deliver pretty much one of the greatest games you will ever play in your life.

Heading off on my trip today (California - vacation/family visit). Ready to dive back into Pokemon Platinum (and keeping some berry trees alive :p). Also looking forward to starting Clash of Heroes.

Won't be online much until I get back, in a little over a week. So if I'm not around, see you all later!

Have a safe trip Shinra. It's hot as hell here and everything pretty much sucks but hope you have fun.

On another note I officially gave up on KH 358/2. fuck that game.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']On another note I officially gave up on KH 358/2. fuck that game.[/QUOTE]

I'm not touching the KH series until I see a true sequel on a console titled Kingdom Hearts III. The initial appeal of the Square/Disney characters have taken a back seat for this Organization XXX that I have no interest in. I haven't played the DS game but is it just another side-story?

Yeah, it basically tells the tale of Roxas, and a few other members of the Organization. I just hate games where they limit your level. Plus it's basically mission based, and after putting in 25 hours I just can't do it anymore.

Wait, Tales of Graces isn't coming out in the US?! fuck, I thought it would. Isn't it one of the flagship games or whatever they're called? What is it with Namco and not bringing them all over. I really want one of the PS2 ones (or better yet the PSP port), but I forget it's name. The one that was supposed to be a more "mature" tone I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back