RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devil Survivor update: decided to go back to that old save after all. It's now mid-afternoon on the sixth day, and I'm at a spot where I have to do a little grinding. Unfortunately, there's only one free battle map in this section instead of the usual two, so it's a bit monotonous  :whistle2:|

Devil Survivor update: decided to go back to that old save after all. It's now mid-afternoon on the sixth day, and I'm at a spot where I have to do a little grinding. Unfortunately, there's only one free battle map in this section instead of the usual two, so it's a bit monotonous :whistle2:|
I'm on Day 3 (or is it day 2?) right now, time 2:30.

I'm enjoying it so far, but I did choose the easier mode to try and bypass some of the grinding since I don't have much time for grinding right now

Just finished Persona 4: Golden (Luckily, there were two time-skips), one was the Exam and the other was shortly after the Skiing trip. Still a great game but not something I'd get into playing right away. Considering that I spent 70+ hours to complete the game in the end. 

Anyways, I picked up a $20.00 PSN Card at Wal-Mart. I was just looking at the games I could download for the PS3 and/or my Vita that I'm interested in. Some are the entire amount of the card and others are $15 or $10. I did think of trying another SMT title again. This time, I think I'll go for the first Digital Devil Saga and possibly Nocturne. Although I might not purchase the second title at this moment since I imagine DDS will last me awhile just like Golden (I really wish I could play PS2 titles on my Vita) Nevertheless, I'll still most likely enjoy it. Any suggestions besides the SMT titles? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing Type-0 and the time management in this game is kind of stupid. As of now, you can't really miss anything important, but there is a reason why it takes three playthroughs to get your Ultima weapons.
God dammit I fucking hate time management in games. Let me play at my own god damned pace. I'm OCD about doing everything and talking to everyone, and it seems this game kinda punishes that mentality "to encourage multiple playthroughs". ugh. Still debating on starting it up soon though...

It's what initially turned me off of Lighting Returns, before I realized with the time stop mechanic it's not that big a deal. That and the fact there was so much else that made the game shit.

I really wish I could play PS2 titles on my Vita
This so very much. When Vita was announced I figured it was a sure thing. PSP had PS1 classics, Vita would get PS2 classics. They'd prolly sell soooo much based on this alone (with a good PS2 catalog available of course).

I'm on Day 3 (or is it day 2?) right now, time 2:30.

I'm enjoying it so far, but I did choose the easier mode to try and bypass some of the grinding since I don't have much time for grinding right now
Probably a smart idea.

The battles I've had the most trouble with are the ones that require very specific strategies (which the game gives you enough hints about, fortunately, that what to do eventually clicks with me), but certain encounters are real motherfuckers, level-wise.

Probably a smart idea.

The battles I've had the most trouble with are the ones that require very specific strategies (which the game gives you enough hints about, fortunately, that what to do eventually clicks with me), but certain encounters are real motherfuckers, level-wise.
Heheh, glad I did easy then, maybe later on if I get more time I'll restart on the more difficult setting.

I did have to level up for the boss on day 1/2? (I can't remember which day), but other than that my current levels have been fine, haven't had to battle on the free zones yet otherwise.

I think I'm right before the final boss battle in Devil Survivor!

The penultimate battle took a few tries, though. Yuzu and her demons-- and pretty much just them-- ended up taking out the boss in that one within a handful of turns o_O;;;

Type-0 has some great music.

It's the same dude who did TWEWY...so...you know.

Combat in that game is so much fun.
It makes me want to actively seek out the boxed OST rather than just listen to the tracks on Youtube like I usually do.

So far I'm loving Cater and Eight. Just so many combat options from these two alone

Beat Devil Survivor Overclocked. Apparently, since I went for a certain ending, I didn't get an eighth day  :whistle2:| Whatevs; I'm pretty happy with the ending route I chose.
It was the Gin/Haru route, if anyone must know :razz:

Also, the final battle wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated (beat it on my first attempt, too), but my team was pretty beefy by that point, so...

Beat Devil Survivor Overclocked. Apparently, since I went for a certain ending, I didn't get an eighth day :whistle2:| Whatevs; I'm pretty happy with the ending route I chose.
It was the Gin/Haru route, if anyone must know :razz:

Also, the final battle wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated (beat it on my first attempt, too), but my team was pretty beefy by that point, so...
I didn't know that route didn't have an 8th day. I finished a different route and received an 8th day. I assumed an extra day was added for all the routes except for the "bad" ending.

injured myself last nite, feelin miserable lol.

cant do anything other than rest so gonna spend the evening playing Bravely Default...

which jus may help me dislike the game even more!!!!

from this day on, rpg grinding will always be associated with physical pain and immobility!!

made it to chapter 5 in Bravely D finally!

now I can put the game back on the shelf til July =P

also I got Witcher 2 on steam sale for $4!

I havent even played Witcher 1 yet! I dont even got the time for it, let alone for W2!

but it was only $4! how could I not?!?!?!

I've been inbetween Tomodachi Life and Pokemon X. So far I only got 1 badge and working on the second one. I'm just grinding and catching more pokemon right now. 

I've been playing a lot of strategy titles over the past couple weeks. I finally finished up Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, and although its not a deep game, the strategy part was very well-done. I also got around to playing alot of XCOM and really enjoyed it as well. Both games lack the level of story and customization I'd have preferred, but deep top-quality console SRPGs are becoming more rare nowadays it seems.

Right now I'm working my way thru Fire Emblem on my 3DS. Pretty good so far, but I'm playing on the easiest settings and its almost too easy so I may switch settings before I get farther into it.

I think I may give Lightning Returns another shot. Anyone that's played it, would you recommend using a guidebook or just ignoring the whole time limit thing and explore on my own? I've a friend who told me not to play without a guide because its easy to miss things.

I think I may give Lightning Returns another shot. Anyone that's played it, would you recommend using a guidebook or just ignoring the whole time limit thing and explore on my own? I've a friend who told me not to play without a guide because its easy to miss things.
I don't think a guide is essential. If you're diligent about doing quests then you will have more time than you need by the end. I played through it a few weeks ago and really couldn't see what the big stink was about it. It was clearly low budget, difficulty spikes were dumb, and the story was mostly filler, but the battle system was a lot of fun.

I'm still playing Tomodach Life and Pokemon X. I have 7 badges now and working on the last one. I might do some trades for higher level pokemon so I can hurry up and finish this game. I'm starting to get bored with it. 

Started up Ni No Kuni recently;it has it's issues but am really enjoying so far. Now I do wish they could've done better with the sidequests instead of having generic fetch quests.

Started up Ni No Kuni recently;it has it's issues but am really enjoying so far. Now I do wish they could've done better with the sidequests instead of having generic fetch quests.
I also just started Ni No Kuni. I am just beat the second boss. Really slow start, but the graphics and music are awesome. I'm still adjusting to the battle system - it seems a bit weird.

I also just started Ni No Kuni. I am just beat the second boss. Really slow start, but the graphics and music are awesome. I'm still adjusting to the battle system - it seems a bit weird.
I'm thinking about starting Ni No Kuni next after I'm done Pokemon. It's been seating in my backlog for a while now so I might as well start it.

Ni No Kuni is one of the slowest burns I've ever experienced in an RPG.  New, game changing systems are introduced 25-30 hours in, and (at least for me) I didn't even get the "final" party member until about 40-45 hours in!  Great game, but the pacing is really terrible

2014 is officially halfway over.

and I still havent played MKR or Dragon Force

:cry:

I've done a disservice to the #yearoftheSaturn

2014 is officially halfway over.

and I still havent played MKR or Dragon Force

:cry:

I've done a disservice to the #yearoftheSaturn
It's all good. I'm only two in with my play-lots-of-backlogged-MegaTen-games dealie :whistle2:|

I think Strange Journey is going to be the next one for me, btw.

Lemme know and I'll make it my next DS game.

I've been doing a terrible job at playing my games.
Started it today :)

Just to warn you, there's some 40+ minutes of cutscenes/dialogue/etc. before you even set foot in the first dungeon.

*rim shot*

I really should've expected such a lengthy intro, but it doesn't take as long to get into the action in the Etrian Odyssey games, so it was a little jarring.

I liked Strange Journey. Weird-ass story (but its a SMT game, so that's a given) and I found it more interesting to play than the Etrian Odyssey games in many ways.

I don't think a guide is essential. If you're diligent about doing quests then you will have more time than you need by the end. I played through it a few weeks ago and really couldn't see what the big stink was about it. It was clearly low budget, difficulty spikes were dumb, and the story was mostly filler, but the battle system was a lot of fun.
Yeah, the battle system is the best redeeming factor for LR.

Okay, needed something else to play, so I started the DS remake of Final Fantasy III. I figure, as far as turn-based JRPGs go, FF should be a good enough departure from SMT whenever I need a break from Strange Journey.

It's great so far (and now I would love even more to see FFV remade in this style), except the enemy encounters. In the first dungeon and the overworld, the goblins and such are super, super easy to beat, but then I go into the Mythril Mine or that first castle and bam, any given party member is dead within two hits. That horrible balance, holy shit.

FFIV isn't anywhere near my favorite FF, but after this, I have newfound respect for it as the next game in the series. 

I don't even think I have an all-time favorite when it comes to Final Fantasy. I do know that I couldn't play through either the first or second game on the PSP after playing the later games. Most likely, my fault, since I played the titles that actually went more in depth before the titles that didn't. Still have yet to play Lightning Returns, Agito and Type-0 though.

I haven't even finished most of the titles on the first PlayStation. Considering, that when I played FF VIII on my PS2 it would freeze when the garden started to take off in that one cut scene so I never could complete it. I did enjoy Crisis Core a whole lot when I first got and had a PSP.

You "borrow" games from your husband? Strait up take that shit girl. You married. What's his is yours.
Hah, true, but this game was originally a birthday present (from me) and I did overwrite all his old saves yesterday, so it does feel like borrowing :lol:

Debating on if I want to do Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen as my next game.

I was playing Watch Dogs but I am about to rage quit that game due to Ubi's normal bad game design choices.

Debating on if I want to do Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen as my next game.

I was playing Watch Dogs but I am about to rage quit that game due to Ubi's normal bad game design choices.
I really enjoyed DD:DA. It took me a little while to get into it, but once I did I ended up putting over 100 hours in, I think. I really hope they make a sequel.

I really enjoyed DD:DA. It took me a little while to get into it, but once I did I ended up putting over 100 hours in, I think. I really hope they make a sequel.
I actually owned the original game, started to play it for a little bit like maybe 2-3 hours then I heard oh you need to rebuy the game again to get the DA DLC. So naturally I waited till it was free on PS+ (although I did enjoy what I played). Sitting in the backlog but I been meaning to play it. Just need to download it.

I decided to stop playing Tomodachi Life and Pokemon X. I got bored with both of them. I'll come back to Pokemon X later. So I put the 3DS away and got the Vita out. I got Dragon's Crown on cart and Ragnarock Odyssey Ace on my 16GB. I don't know what to play yet. 

Honestly, it feels like an introduction to RPGs. For most people in this thread, they probably won't get much from it.

If I got it for free instead of paying $15 for it, I'm not sure I would try to finish it.

Edit: Oh, and on PC, there are times it lags. I'm not sure how a game like this can even lag on my system, but I guess.
The crafting, item collection, and skill trees were very cheaply done, though it's simplicity can be appreciated on some level. It's a fun game to control, and yeah, a very good introduction to RPGs for children or non-gamers. It's kind of funny to think how hard CoL might be to someone not keen on gaming.

I'm nearly finished with Transistor. Game quickly gets melodramatic with all the sword's dialogue (the dude is way too clingy, I mean stfu man), but everything else is cool in my book. Expecting some super edgy twist at the end.

Over 20 hours in Ni No Kuni so far. Despite some pacing issues am really hooked on it now. The biggest problems early on was with your party members not being able to defend along with having worst A.I. than Persona 3;Also most of the familiars other your starters early on were just garbage,but they finally let you get some good ones shortly after getting the ship.The story is simple but engaging with the characters being really likeable;It's a shame that 85% of the dialogue is not voiced which sucks since the voice acting is excellent. Looking forward to the rest of the game!

Over 20 hours in Ni No Kuni so far. Despite some pacing issues am really hooked on it now. The biggest problems early on was with your party members not being able to defend along with having worst A.I. than Persona 3;Also most of the familiars other your starters early on were just garbage,but they finally let you get some good ones shortly after getting the ship.The story is simple but engaging with the characters being really likeable;It's a shame that 85% of the dialogue is not voiced which sucks since the voice acting is excellent. Looking forward to the rest of the game!
I'm just about to get the ship (I assume - I have the letter of passage now). I think I'm about 16 hours in and I've been trying to do all the side quests.

The AI is total crap, though it mostly only affects the boss fights. It sucks when it should be a 2 v 1 but your partner dies right away, making the boss fight much harder and longer. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back